PDA

View Full Version : Whispers... (closed)

Darth Callidus
Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:00:10 AM
In the dead of night, a lone figure stood waiting in the thick of the Iziz Wilds. High above in the sky, the moon paled beneath a heavy cover of clouds, the stars all but invisible to the eye. Everything was still and silent, even the untamed beasts of the forest lay sleeping. The figure stood motionless, soundless, his silhouette barely visible in the darkness. Come to me, Darth Creas...

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:34:14 AM
As deep of a sleep that she was in, Adraudia's eyes snapped open immediately from her Master's call.

I hear you, Master, and I obey.

She slid out of bed and called one her personal guards to enter the bedchamber. Adraudia had just finished tying up her robe when he arrived. This was not one of the guards that Dalamar had appointed to her, but utterly loyal nonetheless. "I must go out."

The black helmet he wore shifted forward, acknowledging her command. "I will return before dawn. If anything pressing occurs, run interference for me until I'm able to make it back to the Palace. Dismissed."

He saluted his Queen with a forearm against his breastplate and left her to change.

It was routine, slipping into her armor that was specially forged by the Royal Smiths. Easily each black piece snapped itself, or latched, into place, hugging her body comfortably. Adraudia was allowed ample movement and protection.

She flipped the matching cloak around her body and fastened it to either side of her neck. Taking one last look at her appearance in the full-length mirror, Adraudia nodded in approval and pulled the hood over her face, disappearing into the secret passage that lay within her room.

Just over an hour later, Adraudia had passed the wall, the knowledge of her guards movements invaluable to sneaking pass them. She felt her Master's call stronger now, and latched onto his will, using it as her guide to locate him. It wasn't much longer before Adraudia was approaching him, the only person she ever bowed too.

"I've come as you wished, my Master."

Darth Callidus
Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:27:22 PM
“It has come to my attention,” Callidus began, “that General DeSang has decided it would be prudent to have a personal guard keep vigil over you at all times... What are your thoughts on this?”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:34:07 PM
She rose to full height and pulled back the hood of her cloak, "It is only temporary, Master. There is a supposed plot against my life and it would be out of place to refuse DeSang's precautions. Once the situation has been rectified, they will be gone."

A slight curl of her lips formed, "I still have my own guards. They buffer DeSang's, who remain clueless."

Darth Callidus
Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:45:24 PM
“Regardless… I advise you to remain on your guard around General Dalamar and his cohorts. He is not all that he seems.” Though the rivalry between Onderon’s highest-ranking General and it’s foremost Politician was widely known, such feuds bore no influence on Callidus’ words.

“You have succeeded in deceiving him and your court thus far, using only your wits, however it is time that you learned how to spin lies that would move millions… it is time that we continued your training.”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:57:32 PM
His own words moved her. Adraudia felt her heart pounding with anticipation towards her training. Since agreeing to become Callidus' Apprentice, she had only learn the very basics of controlling the Force and how to defend herself. The lesson impressed upon her the most was how to focus her anger.

"What would you have me do to learn this power?" If she could learn her Master's secrets, Adraudia could then lead her people to an era of peace once the Mandalorians were destroyed.

Darth Callidus
Jun 12th, 2005, 08:55:18 AM
“You must start, as one would expect, at the beginning. Presently, you haven’t the power to influence even the weakest of human minds, however we shall soon change that.”

Without further pause, Callidus turned away and began to walk deeper into the wilds.

“You know why so many people fear these forests, don’t you? Why the walls around the city are built so high?”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 12th, 2005, 01:49:07 PM
The question was simple. Her ancestors built the wall to protect the people of Onderon from the hostile environment. It now served a secondary function. As a blockade against the Mandalorian army.

"Of course." She followed her Master without hesitation. Adraudia was too valuable and Darth Callidus wouldn't allow any harm to come to her. "The land is aggressive. From the roaming beasts to the foliage around us awaits danger."

Darth Callidus
Jun 19th, 2005, 01:41:32 PM
“Yes. Even unprovoked, they attack. The beast riders think they are the only ones to have tamed the wild creatures, but this is not so.”

The pair came to an area where the thick of the forest parted to create a small clearing, though it was no more than a few feet in each direction. For a moment, Callidus stood listening to the silence, feeling with the Force for the dormant animals. One lone boma beast was sleeping not more than a few yards away, and was suddenly awoken by the invasion into its mind. It snorted and reared its head upwards, sniffing at the air. With a grunt, it followed the smell of humans, its pace quickening as it neared the pair.

“How do you suppose you would use the Force to avoid becoming lunchmeat?”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 19th, 2005, 07:36:21 PM
Callidus' questions always came with a lesson, though this time it was the most deadliest one to date. Adraudia was confident that her Master would not let her die, but she was equally sure that he would not interfere if she was to be merely injured as punishment for failure.

The boma beast was not far. She could hear the rustling of grass and it was coming closer. Still Adraudia could not see it and had moments to act.

"One could hide their presence, but in a world filled with carnivorous creatures, it would be difficult to mask oneself to everything." Now her ears picked up the subtle thumping of paws hitting the ground as the beast ran towards them.

She steadied herself and reached out with her feelings towards the beast. Anger permeated its mundane thoughts from being woken up. It wanted to kill them for trespassing and consume their flesh. The best action would be to take its simple thought pattern and change it to something more desirable.

Friends

That one word burrowed into the consciousness of the boma beast. Anything more complex might further induce the beast's rage. Aided by her power within the Force, Adraudia threw all her conviction into that message and hoped to sway the boma to lick her hand instead of chomping it off.

Darth Callidus
Jun 27th, 2005, 04:37:51 AM
As the beast drew nearer, it seemed to become aware that something was amiss. It charged onwards, but it’s rage had subsided somewhat. It’s mind was too simple to comprehend why, yet not so inferior that it could be completely fooled in an instant. It did not understand the concept of companionship. It was a primitive beast, driven only by the desire for survival. As such, the idea of friendship was alien, a confusing concept that only angered it further.

“It cannot know us as allies. Such creatures respect only the most polar, brutal rules.” Behind his mask, Callidus smiled. From the sounds of things, the animal was only further vexed by Creas actions. “You must make the beast believe that you tower above it. That you are the strongest, the alpha… you must strike fear into its heart.”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:54:13 PM
Master Callidus was correct. The boma's initial uncertainty faded into aggression more powerful then before. Adraudia had misjudged the beast and now she would be quick with her Master's suggestions or soon this lesson would turn violent.

It was easier to penetrate the beast's mind for the second time. The anger bled off of its aura, leaving a direct trail for Adraudia to follow. Fear will keep the boma in line and was a tool of the Force. She would have to be more mindful of which emotion to project in the future. That was part of her Master's lesson this night.

She did not project a word into the beast's thoughts this time. No, it would still be too confusing. Adraudia instead would have to choose a better tactic and quickly, for the boma had just appeared out of the bushes and was heading straight for her.

Her teeth gritted in concentration and set aside the momentary fear that caused her heart to beat faster, and projected an image into the beast's mind. Where Adraudia was standing, a dxun beast appeared and roared at the boma. Dxun beasts were superior mounts that the beast riders had tamed and were fearsome in their own right. They were also far larger. To accentuate the image, she heightened the natural fear the beast felt from being startled. An idea formed from her own reaction to seeing the boma in the flesh. It was taken all of her concentration to keep up the illusion and if it failed, Adraudia would be tackled to the ground as prey.

Darth Callidus
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:21:10 AM
The sight of a larger creature struck fear into the heart of the boma. While it knew no concept of loyalty, it understood this message clearer – the larger beast was almost always the stronger, and finding out the exception to such a rule was a life or death risk. The boma snorted and began to back away cautiously. It's head, however, was still risen – a sign that it had not entirely consigned itself to defeat. It was on its guard, watchful in case the larger beast made a move.

“The beast riders claim to have tamed such animals. Do you believe it possible to reign in such a wild and primitive thing? See how even now it does not succumb.”

Callidus paced forwards towards the boma. The creature seemed to look right through him, blind to his presence and deaf to his voice. “Where the beast riders failed, however, we may succeed. While the mind of a sentient being may be a puzzle not easily crackled, this beast knows only the most basic of concepts – to eat, to mate, to kill. You may impress your wishes and wills upon it with ease. Show me that you can make a civil servant of this unruly beast.”

Adraudia Basillie
May 20th, 2006, 05:58:26 PM
Creas acknowledge her Master's command by staring at the Boma once more, her will wrapping around its primitive mind with greater intensity.

The beast struggled against this intensive intrusion and began to growl defensively. It didn't understand where the danger lay and was going to lash out at the nearest thing it saw as a threat. Callidus.

No!

The Boma cowered from her voice and the emotion behind it, and backed away in fear.

She concentrated further, forcing that fear deeper into the Boma's instincts. Its legs trembled in fear and eventually lowered it's hind legs and sat down at the command of Creas.

Darth Callidus
May 24th, 2006, 09:11:20 AM
“Good. You have control of the beasts mind. There is, however, more than one way to manipulate and move such a creature, without gaining full hold of its thoughts.” Extending one gloved hand outwards, Callidus made an upward gesture and the Boma lifted from the ground. It hovered in mid-air, frozen, for a matter of moments before returning to the safety of the forest floor. Without turning to look to his apprentice, the Sith Lord asked: “How do you suppose I did that?”

Adraudia Basillie
May 25th, 2006, 05:35:10 PM
Creas blinked, awed by her Master's power. She had heard rumors that those with the gift could move objects with her mind. Until now, the Disciple had thought so too.

She recovered her nerves quickly, "You used the Force in order to lift the Boma."

The answer was too mundane. Too easy. There had to more to it so she thought out loud, trying to find the conclusion. "Our feelings give us strength. We use them to reach out through the Force, as I did mentally with the Boma. Obviously there is a way to do this physically as well."

She raised her hand towards the beast, but instead of wrapping her own mind around it's primitive one, Creas focused on the beast itself and commanded it to lift off the ground.

The Boma snorted and dug at the ground with its hoof. Creas was seething. The definite animal didn't even move a smidge.

Darth Callidus
May 26th, 2006, 07:24:34 AM
Her frustration was palpable. “Do not command the beast... see your emotions as an extension of your being. An unseen hand, with immeasurable strength. See it's grotesque fingers, its white knuckles as it seizes hold of the creature in a vice-like grip.”

Adraudia Basillie
May 26th, 2006, 06:14:39 PM
Creas' face grew taut and her chin bobbed for a moment to refocus. One of her Master's earlier lessons was to actually see the Force, the power that connects all living beings together.

She raised her hand once more with new eyes. This time, she saw the white essence of power encircling her hand. It slowly slinked its way through the air like wisps of smoke, cradling the Boma. The wisps spread underneath its belly and captured all four hooves.

Beads of sweat appeared along her hairline as her concentration deepened and slowly the Boma lifted into the air, several inches off the ground, lopsided. It kicked and whined and snorted, wanting to be on solid footing again, but Creas moved her hand slightly to the left as if pushing the beast into a proper position. It finally righted itself and she let out the gasp of air in triumph.

Darth Callidus
Jun 1st, 2006, 04:03:46 AM
The beast hovered uneasily in front of the trunk of a large tree. It's eyes searched wildly for some explanation for it's precarious position. “Now, I want you to move it. Gather a little momentum, if you must, then push it away.”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 2nd, 2006, 09:36:27 PM
This rush of power was different then the more physical aspects of the Force her Master had taught her. Being able to fight and augment her own natural abilities was priority because of the Mandalorians wanting her dead. It was why Callidus had also developed Creas' mental prowess. The ability to sift through thoughts and emotions were beneficial to not only weeding out traitors, but to help in dealing with dignitaries from off-world and providing good decisions to her people.

But this! The command she held over the Boma was exhilarating Creas quickly realized the possibilities with this newfound power. With a thought, she could crush its legs in torture. Or break its neck if its death pleased her ...

Though that was not the lesson. Her Master’s command was quite clear.

The tendrils of dark energy splintered; the one hand continued to keep the Boma levitated into the air while another wisp of white slinked away steadily. It wound its way several yards before stopping, hovering to strike. Creas’ fingers stretched outwards, releasing the power built up and it slammed into the creature. It made an arc through the air, flipping over twice, and landed ten yards away. A tree fortunately stopped its momentum but the poor creature wouldn’t be walking properly any time soon.

Creas chest heaved with excitement at her accomplishment and looked towards her Master in approval.

Darth Callidus
Jun 5th, 2006, 03:10:11 PM
There was a new light in her eyes, like a spark of fire. Callidus did not speak for a time, but instead silently studied her in her breathless exhilaration.

“What did you feel then? What thoughts ran through your mind?”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:52:57 PM
Her chest slowly returned to its natural rhythm, but there was still breathlessness in her voice while she answered her Master's question. "I felt powerful. In control."

Creas looked down at her coiled hand, speaking with great pleasure. "I felt like I could do anything to anyone that opposed me."

Darth Callidus
Jun 9th, 2006, 08:01:34 AM
“You felt in control, you say... were you in control of yourself?”

Callidus watched her movements carefully still, his eyes narrowed slightly.

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 9th, 2006, 03:09:41 PM
"Of course I was," she replied rather quickly to her Master's challenging question. The mere thought of not being in control didn't sit right with her. Even before she had learned of her Force potential, Creas was groomed to control the situations and people around her as well as her emotions.

Creas tried to understand where Callidus was going with this. "What I wished done to the beast was done."

Darth Callidus
Jun 18th, 2006, 01:56:15 PM
“Good. It is so easy to allow ones self to become a tool of the Force, governed by its whims. It is a deceptively exhilarating feeling. Though you may thing you are in control, you are in fact being controlled. You must be careful of this, always... even I must.” There was a small, gruff growl. Callidus turned towards the creature, now probably crippled. “It still lives...”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 18th, 2006, 07:54:01 PM
Creas turned towards the sound of the deep growl, which turned into a yelp. The boma had yet to come into view but she could hear the stirring of branches and grass. An attack would have come readily by a healthy boma. This one obviously was not anymore. "It's injured Master. I see no reason why to end its life unless it tries to harm you or I."

Darth Callidus
Jun 29th, 2006, 08:28:40 AM
In one respect, Callidus was pleased with the logic – or was it sadism? - that Creas was exhibiting. On the other, he saw the inherit flaw in this logic. “And when its wounds recover, do you think it will forget your transgressions against it? Would you leave an armed foe as such?”

Adraudia Basillie
Jun 29th, 2006, 03:40:20 PM
Her Master brought up a valid point but in this scenario, Creas did not agree. "No, Master. If this were a sentient being, I would kill him without hesitation. However, this creature is merely a beast driven by basic instincts. When he recovers, he won't remember me personally but will be haunted by what happened this night and be fearful of the people of Onderon."

Darth Callidus
Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:45:26 AM
“An astute observation,” Callidus nodded. “We have no further use for this creature. Follow me.”

They began to walk again through the forest. “There is a creature, that lives in the canopies of the forest, called the banshee bird. The egg of the banshee bird is something of a delicacy, to humans and animals alike, so the bird makes it's nest in the highest trees. If by some chance an intruder managed to come close to their nest, the bird would let out a scream – the sound for which it is named. This call draws near others of it's kind, who will peck and claw the intruder until they give in – often falling, perilously, to the forest floor.”

Callidus paused, his gaze turning upwards. They had stopped beside a particularly large, narrow tree. Thin, yet sturdy, branches extended from its trunk at infrequent intervals – often ten to fifty feet between them. The bark was smooth, making it impossible for the forest creatures to climb upwards. High above the ground, in the uppermost cluster, there slept a mother banshee bird, warming a nest of eggs.

“I want you to bring me one of those eggs,” Callidus instructed.

Adraudia Basillie
Jul 24th, 2006, 01:25:54 PM
Creas scanned the tree all the way up until her eyes picked up the tiny twigs of a nest. Callidus' tests were becoming far more intense and perilous. She wondered if finally he created a task for her she could not complete.

She banished that thought. Creas was a Basillie. No task was impossible, even if it took days to master. Callidus would also make certain no harm would to befall her. As Queen of Onderon, any unexplainable injuries would raise too many questions. Early in her training, her Master had protected her from undo harm. She did wonder for how long though...

There were several ways that Creas could go about this. One, she could command the bird to leave it's nest and attempt to telekinetically float one of the eggs down. The only flaw to that plan was her control in that ability was not substantial. Physical aspects of the Force took longer for her to master.

Here other option was to make her way up the tree. Once a safe distance away, she could then remove the bird and take the egg.

A normal person couldn't imagine leaping the ten feet between the ground and the first trunk, but Creas did it with grace and ease. Master Callidus' earlier lessons were paying off. Deftly the Apprentice bounded up the tree, crouching on the branch for leverage and balance before leaping to the next. The branches made the tiniest of shimmers, shaking the leaves softly.

Creas placed a hand against the smooth bark of the tree for support; her eyes cast twenty feet upwards. Any closer and she was sure to stir the mother awake.

Reaching out through the Force, her mind enveloped the banshee's. The primitive mind was easier to penetrate this time. Now she planted the basic need for food into its head. A primal need so fierce that it would have to leave now, or fear surviving!

Darth Callidus
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:55:30 PM
The bird was all a panic. It sprung into the air as if a fire had been put to its rear, flapping away into the shadows with a screech. Below, Callidus looked up and watched as Creas balanced precariously on the narrow tree branches, a chill wind blowing by.

Adraudia Basillie
Aug 12th, 2006, 09:21:36 AM
She didn't want to risk being spotted and waited until the mother was out of sight. Creas then hopped off the branch and caught it with both hands, using her legs to build up enough momentum to vault towards the closest branch and pounced on the next. She landed shakily and hugged the tree once more.

Creas was now a little over ten feet away and could make out the signs of twigs and leaves poking out above. More importantly, she saw the first glimpses of grey shell. The prize was so close!

The Apprentice reached out with her senses and locked onto the tiny heart beat within the egg. It gave her a firm location to lock onto. Telekinesis was really her only option to get the egg down safely within her arms and required less time. She was still a fledging with this power and her range wasn't very far, which was why Creas made certain to get as close to the nest as possible.

Slowly the egg began to lift out of the nest. Creas pulled it carefully over the twigs and weaved it through the branches with precision to avoid the shell being cracked, which landed safely into her gloved hand. Its size wasn't too cumbersome, only six inches long. Creas could safely tucked the speckled egg under her breast and use her cloak for added protection during the descent. She was uncertain how much time remained until the banshee returned with dinner. There wasn't a moment to waste and Creas jumped down to the nearest branch ...