PDA

View Full Version : Best Music of 2005... so far

Vega Van-Derveld
May 31st, 2005, 04:42:59 AM
What have been your best purchases this year, so far?

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
I have been a big fan of NIN for quite some time now, so to finally get a new album out of Trent Reznor was very exciting. I have to admit, I didn't particularly like "With Teeth" to begin with. For the first few listens, it felt like there was new or interesting on there, but the more I listen to it the more it grows on me. It's got a bit of everything. Even the oddly disco-esque "Only" is fun. My favourite track is definitely the album opener, "All the Love in the World". When the song hits the 3:20 mark, and Trent starts harmonizing with himself over that vaguely Radiohead-esque backbeat... oh yeah. :cool

Favourite tracks: All the Love in the World, Every Day Is Exactly The Same

Will edit in more soon :)

JMK
May 31st, 2005, 07:10:35 AM
I haven't come across anything yet this year worthy of being called 'Best of 2005'. Dave Matthews' Band new release is decent at best (though it is growing on me a little) and Weezer's new CD is not so strong at all, and I've been a HUGE fan of all their past stuff.

Dasquian Belargic
May 31st, 2005, 08:09:34 AM
Originally posted by JMK
I haven't come across anything yet this year worthy of being called 'Best of 2005'.

Alright then... :p what have you enjoyed most so far this year?

I don't know much by DMB, but I agree with you on the new Weezer album :(

JMK
May 31st, 2005, 08:36:00 AM
I think my favorite cd so far this year has been the RotS soundtrack. I can't even remember what else I've bought this year aside from the 3 cd's I've already mentioned in this thread. Goes to show what 2005 has done for me so far. ;)

Dutchy
May 31st, 2005, 12:52:48 PM
Definitely the Garden State soundtrack with highlight The Shins - New Slang. I absolutely love that song. You can listen to it here (http://www.mtv.com/sitewide/apps/mediaplayer/index.jhtml?vid=37207&channelID=1&orgID=2&gateway=bands&paid=1163811&section_0=bands&section_1=az&section_2=shins_the&section_3=artist.jhtml&refURL=/bands/az/shins_the/artist.jhtml&adPth=/adsetup/bands/&adPN=artist).

From the same soundtrack is also the wonderful song Waiting in Line from Zero 7, who did my favorite song from last year: Somersault.

Morgan Evanar
May 31st, 2005, 01:54:22 PM
Mindless Self Indulgence's "You'll Rebel to Anything" continues the trend of absolutely insano off the wall energy and lyrics started in the early zeros. It's got the most interesting cover of Rush's "Tom Sawyer" I've ever heard. It's more sonically complex than MSI's previous work, and I think it actually works against the music to a degree. It rocks harder than anything else I've heard this year.

Drake Shadowstalker
May 31st, 2005, 06:16:48 PM
Let's not forget System of a Down. Their new CD is freakin' awesome.

Jedieb
May 31st, 2005, 06:56:53 PM
Got the new Springsteen CD awhile back but nothing really stuck with me. I might get back to it but to be honest, the CD I've enjoyed most this year has been the ROTS soundtrack.

Morgan Evanar
May 31st, 2005, 07:07:35 PM
Queens of the Stoneage's new disc, Lullabies to Paralzye is excellent. "Little Sister" is 2:54 of excellence.

Arya Ravenwing
May 31st, 2005, 07:58:09 PM
I'm interested in hearing the new Coldplay CD, but haven't yet. ^_^;

Cirrsseeto Quez
May 31st, 2005, 09:45:21 PM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing

Pop in any Dave Matthews Band CD into your player and you should be satisfied.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 1st, 2005, 03:08:13 AM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing

You can hear the whole thing online at their website if you're interested :) I like the new single, "Speed of Sound".

Originally posted by Cirrsseeto Raurrssatta
Pop in any Dave Matthews Band CD into your player and you should be satisfied.

whaaaaat

Marceloi
Jun 1st, 2005, 04:45:30 AM
I have this habit of changing hannel if I hear Coldplay. Utterly grates badly on my ears.

While this isnt 2005 music, the only CD I've felt was good enough to buy this year is Greenday's American Idiot. One of the few albums I can listen to all the way through.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 1st, 2005, 05:28:17 AM
Originally posted by Marceloi
While this isnt 2005 music, the only CD I've felt was good enough to buy this year is Greenday's American Idiot. One of the few albums I can listen to all the way through.

I kind of glutted myself on this CD. I went to see Green Day in concert in Febuary, so went on a bit of a listening binge. I still really like it though, and can have fun playing along with it on the guitar. Especially 'Jesus of Suburbia'.

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 1st, 2005, 07:35:03 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
whaaaaat

Coldplay is Dave Matthews Band except without the rhythmic instrument ensemble and more Emo.

JMK
Jun 1st, 2005, 08:22:13 AM
Not even close. Coldplay doesn't even compare to DMB. DMB has more talent and ability with no arms than Coldplay could ever hope to have.

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 1st, 2005, 08:57:09 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Not even close. Coldplay doesn't even compare to DMB. DMB has more talent and ability with no arms than Coldplay could ever hope to have.

Yes but they have the same warbly whiney voice

Clive Solo
Jun 1st, 2005, 09:18:22 AM
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
The Decemberists - Picaresque

2 of the better albumbs of the year...

JMK
Jun 1st, 2005, 09:47:38 AM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru

I'll give you that much, I was speaking in terms of the music. DMB probably has the sickest bunch of guys around. Carter Beauford is an unbelievable drummer, Stefan Lessard is a great bassist, and Boyd Tinsley & Leroi Moore are both extremely good at their instruments. And when they throw Tim Reynolds into the mix it's even better. They've taken a step back from the jam-it-out days, but they're still miles ahead of Coldplay.

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 1st, 2005, 09:55:45 AM
I'll agree there. That's why I said Coldplay is DMB without their rhythmic instrument ensemble. The actual band part of Coldplay is cookie cutter and entirely forgettable, while with DMB it's what makes their music fun.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 1st, 2005, 10:17:08 AM
.... oh well fine then. Charley, no one said you had to try to convert me away from whatever you decide is "bad music."

And my favorite new song is "Cells" by "The Servant." I have no idea when their album came out though.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 1st, 2005, 11:13:03 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville

And my favorite new song is "Cells" by "The Servant." I have no idea when their album came out though.

Quite some time ago, IIRC. It is a great song though :)

Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru

If I was going to compare Coldplay to anyone, I'd say they are a poor mans Radiohead. I really don't hear the similarity with DMB o_O

Mandy with an I
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:19:04 PM
Coldplay, Radiohead and the Longpigs all sound similar IMO.

I've been listening to The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs and Sloan a lot lately.
I've been trying to expand my tiny cd collection (most of mine are packed away), but I don't want to buy a cd for $20 if I haven't heard anything by the band. Radio stations around here are awful too :x

Salem Ave
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:20:05 PM
The Killers :x bleugh

Mandy with an I
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:26:53 PM
^ I'd rather be listening to my Oasis/Blur/Elastica/Pulp cds, but they are all buried in a pile of boxes. :cry

I really like the Scissors Sisters too. I just need to find something new. :\

Phantom
Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:55:44 PM
The new Mudvayne CD Lost and Found is awesome, easily one of the best I've listened to thus far.

Vendetta
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:58:07 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville

That song was on the Sin City trailer. Good tune...fit perfectly with the movie.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 4th, 2005, 04:49:15 AM
:o the new Foo Fighters album rocks

Cat Terrist
Jun 10th, 2005, 07:49:03 AM
Originally posted by Vendetta
That song was on the Sin City trailer. Good tune...fit perfectly with the movie.

As an intrumental, which works. The song itself is good until the singer opens his mouth and begins to whine.

Another vote for SOAD's new album. Play it loud.

Oriadin
Jun 10th, 2005, 08:05:33 AM
There arent many albums that take my fancy at the moment. Id be interested in getting the latest Stereophonics album Language Sex Violence Other?

Mostly ive just heard the odd one or two songs Ive liked, but when hearing the rest of the album its on, id rather not waste my money.

Zabian Bal-Wandler
Jun 11th, 2005, 09:20:31 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
:o the new Foo Fighters album rocks

Yes yes

Probably i hve enjoyed Trivium,KSE and some Gwar this year.

Nyax Imotep
Jun 11th, 2005, 10:53:34 AM
Originally posted by Cat Terrist
As an intrumental, which works. The song itself is good until the singer opens his mouth and begins to whine.

So true!

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 16th, 2005, 10:01:10 AM
I thought I'd give this a bump and see, six months down the line, if anyone had any further thoughts :)

JMK
Nov 16th, 2005, 10:06:37 AM
Foo Fighters new cd is pretty rip-rockin. 2 cd set - one plugged and raucous, the other more or less sedate. In all about 85 minutes of music.

Sudoku
Nov 16th, 2005, 05:52:15 PM
:lol
I don't listen to my Killers cd at ALL now.

Now it's all Bright Eyes (I just got my pre-ordered copy of his live cd :crack) and Manic Street Preachers. Also the Trainspotting 2 soundtrack.

Wyl Staedtler
Nov 17th, 2005, 01:37:58 PM
Well, the 'Elizabethtown' soundtrack was a disapointment, which surprised me because Crowe usually has great movie soundtracks. Tried to listen to the Twelve Girls Band disc but couldn't :(

On the other hand, Tegan and Sara have found a permanent home in my stereo, and so has Grayson Capps (sweet New Orleans artist). That's about all that I've listened to religiously, besides Story of the Year. Oh yeah, and there was a brief Bif Naked stage in there too.

Sudoku
Nov 17th, 2005, 01:57:14 PM
The new Franz Ferdinand and Death Cab For Cutie albums = :D too

Mu Satach
Nov 17th, 2005, 03:11:19 PM
Not all were released in 2005, but it was this past year that I found them.
<ul>
Bloc Party (http://www.blocparty.com/go.php?object=downloads)

Doves - "Some Cities" (http://www.doves.net/)

British Sea Power - "Open Season" (http://www.britishseapower.co.uk/)

Stars Look Down (http://www.blackflyentertainment.com/Framesld.htm)

Amiee Mann - "The Forgotten Arm" (http://www.aimeemann.com/theforgottenarm.html)

Serene UK - the oak land ep (http://www.sponiczine.com/review_detail.asp?wfArtist=Serene%20UK)
M83 (http://www.ilovem83.com/)
theSTART (http://www.thestart.org/)
[/list]

there's more... just can't think of them off the cuff

Shawn
Nov 17th, 2005, 03:49:27 PM
The only album I've really been impressed with this year has been Conjure One - Extraordinary Ways (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AHJ7W0/qid=1132263995/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2888319-3139266?v=glance&s=music&n=507846). It's like having a new Poe album, but not. :(

I'm still not a big fan of With Teeth, but I'm willing to give it a few more listens. Parts of The Fragile took a while to grow on me, too.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 17th, 2005, 04:09:54 PM
A few more of my favorite albums of the year:

Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume I: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness
Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
Funeral for a Friend - Hours

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 17th, 2005, 08:29:22 PM
I haven't really bought many albums this year, or at least ones that came out this year and I was impressed with. Though I do enjoy Disturbed's "Ten Thousand Fists". I also recently bought Seven Wiser's debut, which I think came out in '04. Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking, but I like it and it's easy listening to me, sets me in a content mood. And that's all I really ask of most music.