PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the reset

Priscilla Sato
May 24th, 2005, 12:55:43 PM
And please feel free to move this to an already-existing thread if it belongs there.

Will we or will we not have any more access to currently-existing threads after the reset? Will they be viewable but closed? Or will they be dumped entirely and the Boards erased for the new story arc (in which case we need to save all our work now or risk losing it altogether)?

Thank you very much.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 12:59:20 PM
The old threads will still exist, either here or on a seperate archive forum.

Priscilla Sato
May 24th, 2005, 01:00:56 PM
And they'll be accessible? We can still write on them?

Gav Mortis
May 24th, 2005, 01:02:20 PM
I would much rather see the old threads archived somewhere and not cluttering the appearance of the new roleplaying universe post-reset. A fresh forum for a fresh start, as it were, but we need to see what others think of the issue.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 01:11:28 PM
We plan to make an archive forum with old threads, which will most likely be a closed forum. By "closed forum", I mean, not open to new posts.

Threads posted to within the last 3 to 6 (still undecided) months will be kept here, and can be added to or edited.

Lady Vader
May 24th, 2005, 01:22:58 PM
Will the same be done with the Storytelling forum, or will that be left alone?

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 01:34:16 PM
All forums will get this treatment.

It isn't just for the reset. It is also for the health of our forums host.

Milivikal k'Vik
May 24th, 2005, 02:04:48 PM
Whenever this forum gets searched by more than one person we have serious issues accessing it (IE viewing/posting), which is going to be the primary reason to trim threads.

Lady Vader
May 24th, 2005, 02:16:59 PM
You said ALL forums. So you're saying this will also be true of say GJO and TSO?

The reason I am concerned in this regard is because we still have some members who are RPing in the current timeline in the TSO forums and they have expressed wishes to continue to do so there.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 02:19:10 PM
Yes I said all forums, but I don't understand why you say you have archiving to do. The threads are not being deleted or put in an inaccessable place. The threads (older than 3 to 6 months - Still undecided on how long to keep here) will be put on a new forum that does not allow new posts or edits.

Lady Vader
May 24th, 2005, 02:25:30 PM
I deleted the archiving bit before you saw. I realized that was redundant.

As for this "archive forum", is it just going to be one giant forum where arre "old" threads are placed in from all the boards into one chaotic mess, or will each forum ahve it's own archive, or will the archive be broken into categorized sections, or what?

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 02:29:03 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
The reason I am concerned in this regard is because we still have some members who are RPing in the current timeline in the TSO forums and they have expressed wishes to continue to do so there. All threads posted to within the last 3 to 6 months will remain, allowing anyone to have their recent threads continued.

Originally posted by Lady Vader
I deleted the archiving bit before you saw. I realized that was redundant.

As for this "archive forum", is it just going to be one giant forum where arre "old" threads are placed in from all the boards into one chaotic mess, or will each forum ahve it's own archive, or will the archive be broken into categorized sections, or what? The forums will have the same structure as these though at this time I am unable to give complete details on private forums.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2005, 02:30:27 PM
Perhaps private forums should be deleted? Or made public.

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 02:34:08 PM
Private forum handling suggestions are okay and welcome, but I can give no definitives at this time because I need to test the compatibility of vB's access masks when exported. That will not be happening until some time this weekend at the earliest.

Lady Vader
May 24th, 2005, 02:37:31 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Perhaps private forums should be deleted? Or made public.

Please no. :(

Navaria Tarkin
May 24th, 2005, 02:41:22 PM
The point of a private forum being made public defeats the purpose of it being private in the first place. That really isn't an option for most of the board I would think besides LV.

Droo
May 24th, 2005, 02:46:13 PM
A thought on the boardwide archiving of threads which are 3-6 months old. It is recognised, I'm sure by all, that the archiving and deleting of old threads is neccessary in any online community in order to maintain order and bandwidth stability.

That said, when this takes place, if the administration were to be approached by a group such as GJO or TSO with a list of specific threads(with links) which they would appreciate not being archived, would this be a possibility? And secondly, for these individual groups, for the sake of being able to trek back to old threads for viewing and reading, would it be possible to archive the plethora of topics in a fashion which would organise them into the forums in which they once existed?

I know this was touched on here:

The forums will have the same structure as these though at this time I am unable to give complete details on private forums.

But simply to put the minds of concerned folk at ease, once the details have been realised, how much would the archiving of these old threads disrupt the proceedings at their own respective forums?

TheHolo.Net
May 24th, 2005, 02:50:44 PM
Originally posted by Droo
That said, when this takes place, if the administration were to be approached by a group such as GJO or TSO with a list of specific threads(with links) which they would appreciate not being archived, would this be a possibility? And secondly, for these individual groups, for the sake of being able to trek back to old threads for viewing and reading, would it be possible to archive the plethora of topics in a fashion which would organise them into the forums in which they once existed? The simplist way to accomplish this would be to post in the threads wanting to be saved before the archive. The admin control panel options will do a "by date" pruning, but do not allow specific threadIDs to be exempted from the pruning. So, just post a bump to any such threads to keep them here.

Originally posted by Droo
But simply to put the minds of concerned folk at ease, once the details have been realised, how much would the archiving of these old threads disrupt the proceedings at their own respective forums? You lost me there. :huh

Droo
May 24th, 2005, 03:16:24 PM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
You lost me there. :huh

To put it simply, what in your opinion is the risk factor that, post-archiving, those that wanted to continue some of their pre-reset stories for a non-descript amount of time would find themselves unable to due to the archiving of threads?

I think the biggest worry, from what I've heard, is the risk of these folk finding themselves essentially forced into a position in which they have but no other choice but entirely comply with the reset and be unable to bring their old roleplays and what have you to a definite end.

My apologies if that is still somewhat vague or confusing, I'm simply trying to translate what I've heard.

Salem Ave
May 24th, 2005, 03:21:10 PM
no other choice but entirely comply with the reset and be unable to bring their old roleplays and what have you to a definite end.

The admin control panel options will do a "by date" pruning, but do not allow specific threadIDs to be exempted from the pruning. So, just post a bump to any such threads to keep them here.

What I understand is that any threads that had been posted to in the last, say 6 months, would be transferred over to the new bored - allowing people to continue posting in them and conclude the thread. (I hope I just answered the right question).

Miranda Dunleavy
May 24th, 2005, 03:23:33 PM
and also if you wanted to keep a thread that was longer then the 6 months, bump it so the timestamp is current.. which I think is what swfans said o_O

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2005, 04:33:28 PM
The deleting of and being made public of currently private forums was sort of tongue in cheek. :p Obviously we don't want them made public.

In the instance of the KA, I'm sure there's a lot of junk in there that we don't need archived (ooc chatter, a lot of "where is everyone?" stuff). I personally would only want a few threads archived, and a few threads saved out to remain in there.