PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith. Episode III Box Office Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Yog
May 18th, 2005, 06:47:39 AM
I cant believe there is no thread up for this yet. Lets track, report and discuss the daily box office haul in this thread.

Episode III is opening in aproximately 3700 theaters and is reported to be put out on an amazing 9500 prints. The marketing is stronger than ever before, and the reviews are glowing. This could be the movie the fans have been waiting for.

Could it beat the Matrix Reloaded opening day record of 42.7M? With all the sold out midnight screenings, counting for inflation and the increased print count, it just might. And what about the 3 day weekend? I dont think it will beat Spiderman, but it should still do very strong overall.

Then there is the question what kind of legs this will have. Reviews and early reports indicate its considerable better than the other two prequels. Its also darker and has a PG13 rating, which may make a slight dent, but how that will affect the overall numbers remain to be seen. Possibly, it will be better received than the other prequels, resulting in a higher rewatch count. But it may turn the other way around too, as the first installment in a trilogy always seem to have a better rewatch count the the first. Nowadays, blockbusters tends to have high opening numbers and faster drops than the days of TPM. Overall though, I think it will do better than AOTC.

One thing that speaks heavily in favor of ROTS, is the lack of competition. The market is screaming in agony for a big blockbuster. Surveys shows that ROTS is the most highly anticipated movie this year, beating all other althernatives with a 70% score.

So what do you think? Post your thoughts :)

Yog
May 18th, 2005, 06:49:13 AM
Here is my preliminary prediction.. (still subject to change)

Opening day: $42.7M
3 day: $94.4M
4 day: $137.1M
Total domestic: 415.7
International: ?
Worldwide: ?

JMK
May 18th, 2005, 07:05:31 AM
I think this movie is an interesting mix of factors. How many people have been turned off by the relative disappointments of TPM and AotC? Will those people turn out in the same numbers, or have they given up on Star Wars?

There's also a battle between glowing reviews vs the PG-13 rating. Will they negate each other or will one over the other win out? Personally I think the reviews and word of mouth will win out over the PG-13 rating. I don't think PG-13 means that a kid under 13 can't see the movie without a parent, it's just a stronger warning to parents.

There is no competition for the first month of release, so RotS had better generate some seriously great word of mouth and make a boatloads of money then. I think once Batman comes out it's going to be all over for RotS.

Predictions:
Opening Day: 40.4M
3 day: 92.2M
4 day: 128.5M
Domestic: 403M
Worldwide: 850M

jjwr
May 18th, 2005, 07:44:25 AM
Grosses will definetly come in higher than EP2, we may not see as much up front but the following weeks should be seeing a smaller decine.

A combination of repeat viewings and then people who were turned off by Ep1 & Ep2 showing up after hearing the reviews and wanting to get in on the action.

I'm doubting the PG-13 rating will hurt it much, I can't see most theatres pushing kids away from seeing this because they are 12 and no parent in sight.

No Spiderman to fight with and a weak slate should give this movie a massive month and then coast through the summer to rack up a 400+ final tally.

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2005, 07:52:54 AM
Originally posted by JMK
I think this movie is an interesting mix of factors. How many people have been turned off by the relative disappointments of TPM and AotC? Will those people turn out in the same numbers, or have they given up on Star Wars?

There's also a battle between glowing reviews vs the PG-13 rating. Will they negate each other or will one over the other win out? Personally I think the reviews and word of mouth will win out over the PG-13 rating. I don't think PG-13 means that a kid under 13 can't see the movie without a parent, it's just a stronger warning to parents.

There is no competition for the first month of release, so RotS had better generate some seriously great word of mouth and make a boatloads of money then. I think once Batman comes out it's going to be all over for RotS.

Predictions:
Opening Day: 40.4M
3 day: 92.2M
4 day: 128.5M
Domestic: 403M
Worldwide: 850M

Well I think the good reviews will help offset that. The turned off fans I think will come back because of them. And Yoghurt is right the box office is dying for this film, I think it might be bigger that I would have though.

Yog
May 18th, 2005, 08:13:12 AM
The big factor is going to be the repeat viewings. What might help ROTS this time, the summer market is currently quite different to what it was just one year ago. Right now, you will see crap like House of Wax "only" have a drop of 45% from first weekend. Last year, I guarantee it would have been absolutely slaughtered with a minimum 60% drop. The market is less saturated with big releases, and the audience seems more forgiving.

I am nearly 100% confident that ROTS will have a better opening weekend than AOTC. The increased theater count and prints, bigger and better marketing (clone wars cartoon and what not), and the glowing reviews will pretty much ensure that its going to be sizzling hot opening. Also, this time around, there is no Matrix or Spiderman. With a good word of mouth and low competition, ROTS should have better legs than AOTC.

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2005, 10:48:25 AM
Memorial Day weekend looks stacked although I think The Longest Yard looks horrible, I am not sure about Madagascar. I don't think it looks as funny as either Shrek movies.

Yog
May 18th, 2005, 11:01:08 AM
Personally, those movies are so low on my awareness radar, I have to construct a new display so I can see the readout :)

CMJ
May 18th, 2005, 11:03:10 AM
My final total prediction is 370M. As I said in the other BO thread we always overestimate the boxoffice of these things. If it gets a higher total than that, it's all gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Jedieb
May 18th, 2005, 11:06:36 AM
Here's the big question for me, 'Will ROTS rebound from AOTC's B.O. performance and reach the B.O. levels of ESB, ROTJ, and TPM? The first 3 sequels all had a strikingly similiar B.O. run. Adjust the numbers for inflation and they're all over the $400M mark. AOTC was the first sequel to come up short of that mark, far short. If ROTS performs in a similiar manner to those first sequels then we could see a gross of over $450M. As large as that may seem, it's inflation that's doing the heavy lifting. TPM's $430M would equal an eye popping $490M today! I think we're going to be somewhere between TPM and AOTC inflation adjusted numbers, $330M-$490.

Total Run
$416.5M

Jedi Master Carr
May 18th, 2005, 07:22:37 PM
I have been think about 360 for the whole run, that was last month and I made that prediction on the BOM board. Now that was before I started reading those fandango reports, still I won't change my guess yet.

Cat Terrist
May 18th, 2005, 11:33:06 PM
In australia at least, the first day total will be incredible. In the complex I was in, they originally had three sessions at 12:01 am. They added 4 more sessions in two days last week and sold out every one.

The word of mouth is also excellent. Big opening, probably not so hot run.

Yog
May 19th, 2005, 04:40:14 AM
Even though the midnight screening here in Oslo was sold out as expected (those tickets got snatched in an hour the 1st of may) I was shocked to see the theater was only 75% full on the 9 am screening. Thats a major bummer for the second screening overall on the worlds largest THX theater. Admittedly, its early in the morning, and yes, its a known fact the Norwegians fans in particular were very disappointed with the two previous prequels, but still, thats a worrying sign. Too many people were let down to give this a chance, no matter how brilliant I and everyone else who got up in the morning to see this thought it was.

Is it time to put the panic signs out yet? Well, no. I have a feeling judging by Marcus report that this was something out of ordinary that just should not have happened. First we will have to get some reports from thursday afternoon showings from you americans, then we will see if its time to worry.

Also, the word of mouth for this movie will incredible, so it might have very good legs. At least I can hope.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2005, 10:04:15 AM
Well at midnight here, the theater I was at had it on Ten screens and it sold out for all ten. Not sure about this morning here, although I was watching CNN and they showed fans lining up for the morning shows and there seemed to be a lot of them at least in the big cities.

JediBoricua
May 19th, 2005, 06:12:10 PM
My theather had 6 screen originally. They added six mores. 12 sold out screens and still haven't heard of anyone who did not like it.

There were 18,000 pre-sale tickets through the Internet alone (we are a country of 4 million).

It's gonna shatter every record here.

Quadinaros
May 19th, 2005, 07:14:22 PM
Now that I've seen it, I guess I can throw a couple cents in. I don't think the PG13 rating will hurt it, but the reasons it received the rating might. ROTS is very brooding and dark, and it gets darker and darker as it goes. I think repeat viewing will probably be stymied by the dark tone. It's not exactly fun fun fun!! Don't get me wrong. I loved it!

I'll predict $303 million.

Jedi Master Carr
May 19th, 2005, 08:34:31 PM
Wow might be looking at an opening day record

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1823&p=.htm

16.5 for the midnight shows now that is incredible, it should do 40 at least for Thursday.

Bandage
May 19th, 2005, 10:16:44 PM
And I just got back from viewing it myself. Probably the best of the sequels. Yes, very brooding and very dark. And I have little else to add, for I am no number cruncher, save for the fact that like $900million in productivity was lost in I believe was the U.S. for businesses all around.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2005, 12:24:40 AM
Originally posted by Cat Terrist
In australia at least, the first day total will be incredible. In the complex I was in, they originally had three sessions at 12:01 am. They added 4 more sessions in two days last week and sold out every one.

The word of mouth is also excellent. Big opening, probably not so hot run.

At the theatre I saw it at last night, they were still adding shows that day. When I bought the tickets, they only had the 12:01 showing (one month prior). A few days ago I checked, and they had added showings at 12:10 and 12:30, all sold out as well as the 12:01. Yesterday I found out they had added 12:40 (sold out) and 12:50 showings, and they had plans to add a 1 am show if the 12:50 sold out. They added the 1 am showing, so... It really was incredible. The line nearly wrapped completely around the building.

Dutchy
May 20th, 2005, 12:45:31 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Wow might be looking at an opening day record

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1823&p=.htm

16.5 for the midnight shows now that is incredible, it should do 40 at least for Thursday.

Just $40M? AOTC earned 6.2 million during its premiere midnight which led to a $30.1M weekday.

ROTK $8.0M -> $34.5M and Spider-Man $7.0M -> $39.4M.

So Shrek 2's single day record of $44.8M should be easily broken.

Maybe $50M is possible.

Or did everyone want to see it at midnight? We'll see. :)

Cat Terrist
May 20th, 2005, 01:02:42 AM
16 million for midnight screeners alone?!?!

Bloody hell.

Shawn
May 20th, 2005, 01:32:03 AM
I can't remember the last movie I saw in theaters twice. Quite frankly, it's just too damned expensive these days, even for a great film. I do think I'll be seeing ROTS again. It was unbelievably good.

Yog
May 20th, 2005, 01:38:28 AM
I was so impressed by my first viewing, that I decided to invite my cousin and his wife out to see ROTS on Colosseum on sunday (im buying the tickets). I believe lots of people who do not normally go for repeat viewings will have their minds changed when they see this movie.

Dutchy
May 20th, 2005, 03:31:34 AM
Episode III record predictions. (http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/newsStory.php?newsID=1259)

Boxoffice Comparison of all 6 Star Wars movies. (http://www.the-numbers.com/features/starwars.php)

These are finally exciting times for us boxoffice fans again. :)

Dutchy
May 20th, 2005, 04:00:19 AM
Oh, here's a review (http://orbitalreviews.com/movies/ROTS.html) of our good old friend Jonathan. :)

jjwr
May 20th, 2005, 05:31:33 AM
I'll definetly see it again a few times, just not this weekend(as much as I'd like to).

Massive Midnight Gross, we are going to see some crazy numbers for the first few weeks on this. I would love it if the movie took down Shrek 2.

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2005, 07:01:46 AM
That thenumbers site said the high for Midnight showings was 12 million think they were off by 4.5 million wow. This could make 50 like you said Dutchy, it will depend on how many people went to see it during the day. It look liked the theaters were busy in the major cities yesterday from the lines I guess we will find out later today how well it did.

Yog
May 20th, 2005, 09:58:31 AM
<a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000929079>International report - first day</a>

Some countries had biggest opening day ever.

Jedieb
May 20th, 2005, 10:49:24 AM
I'm going this afternoon to take my son to his 2nd viewing and my 3rd. I'll probably catch it once more on Sunday with the boy and then we're probably done for awhile.

AmazonBabe
May 20th, 2005, 11:40:51 AM
Could it beat the Matrix Reloaded opening day record of 42.7M? With all the sold out midnight screenings, counting for inflation and the increased print count, it just might.

At the theater we went to see it at, they had two 12:01am, two 12:20am, two 12:40am, and two 1:00am show. Just before the 12:01am show was going to start, I went outside to check out the lines for the other movies and they'd added (on the fly) two 1:20am shows. Apparently ppl were showing up to buy tickets so they had to open two more shows to fill up demand. :eek

I'd have to ask, but it's possible they added more shows after that. But I was already in the theater watching the movie, so there was no chance in hell I was leaving to check.

CMJ
May 20th, 2005, 12:53:14 PM
Opening Day - $50,013,859...

I think I just had a heart attack.

Dutchy
May 20th, 2005, 01:26:47 PM
Originally posted by Dutchy
JuMaybe $50M is possible.

Told ya! :)

Dutchy
May 20th, 2005, 01:27:03 PM
My gawd, 50M... that is... HUGE...

JediBoricua
May 20th, 2005, 01:58:59 PM
W...O...W

JMK
May 20th, 2005, 02:09:41 PM
:eek

I can't believe that. I really thought there would be some hesitation among the general public because of the cold reception of TPM and AotC. That is simply mind blowing.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2005, 02:10:53 PM
Holy moly! :eek

That's amazing. Let's hope it doesn't have like a 75% drop next week. ^_^;

Jedieb
May 20th, 2005, 02:40:38 PM
Now we start crunching numbers and seeing if $400M & $500M are doable.:)

Yog
May 20th, 2005, 02:45:15 PM
I can't believe that. I really thought there would be some hesitation among the general public because of the cold reception of TPM and AotC. That is simply mind blowing

Thats excactly what I thought too. But the general public seem to have got the message. It has a good shot at all kinds of records in the first week now, particulary the 4-day record. If the 3-day weekend is equally impressive, I think it will do better than TPM overall.

Yog
May 20th, 2005, 02:48:27 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Now we start crunching numbers and seeing if $400M & $500M are doable.:)

$500M is possible if it keeps beating records in the first week AND has similar drops like TPM had (which had good if not great legs).

That's amazing. Let's hope it doesn't have like a 75% drop next week

I am tempted to say, if it drops 75% next week, I will eat my hat. But since I dont have any hat, I will wear the avatar of Jar Jar instead throughout the summer.

Dutchy
May 20th, 2005, 03:54:02 PM
http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/newsStory.php?newsID=1259

And finally the Grand Pooh-Bah, the Big Mac Daddy, the King of Kings, the greatest record of them all:

All Time Highest Grossing Movies - Current Record: $600.8 million - held by Titanic
It would be a minor miracle if this record were to fall, but if Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith doesn't break the record it won't be broken for a few more years at least. Odds of beating this record: 1%

Hehe, I like how he introduces that record. :)

jjwr
May 20th, 2005, 04:29:59 PM
Well the first 3 records listed are done, fastest to $100 Million isn't going to happen, it would need 2 days and thats unheard of at this point. I'm guessing about 38-42 Million for Friday which puts it very close but not quite.

Largest weeked probably won't happen either, it should have the largest 3 day but it won't be 3 weekend days, largest 4 days is almost a lock after the 50M opening.

Fastest to 200M will be tough without a holiday weekend to bank off of, fastest to 300M could happen with half of it coming this weekend and another huge chunk next weekend.

The key to 400M or 500M will be how it does in weekend 3 and beyond, thats when the competition starts.

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2005, 05:48:50 PM
That is just unbelievable I was thinking maybe 45 but 50 not in my wildest imaginations. And it is a Thursday which makes it more amazing. Can it duplicate this on Saturday??? And I agree 4 day is toast, should make 140-160 for the 4 days, 3 day is iff, should get past 100 but 114 isn't going to be easy, maybe like 105-110.

Cat Terrist
May 20th, 2005, 07:03:34 PM
50 million... on a weekday.

Good God. That's.... incredible. No one's goign to be able to predict this thing right now.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2005, 07:30:31 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
I am tempted to say, if it drops 75% next week, I will eat my hat. But since I dont have any hat, I will wear the avatar of Jar Jar instead throughout the summer.

Done! >D

If it beats Titanic I will dance a jig and gladly write a short story where Vader lands on the Titanic and kills Jack and Rose.

CMJ
May 20th, 2005, 07:36:49 PM
I wouldn't think it has a greater than 5% chance to take down the big boat.

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2005, 09:24:34 PM
Yeah it be tough, I think 500 million is the tops it could do.

Jedieb
May 20th, 2005, 09:40:08 PM
I can't see how it could possibly reach 600M. A few years from now it would have had a chance because of inflation, but not right now. I just wonder how big the 3-D release will be a few years from now. ROTS may just need to get a bit north of $500M to have a shot at the boat one day.

Dutchy
May 21st, 2005, 11:48:51 AM
$35.5M estimated for Friday.

Jedieb
May 21st, 2005, 10:57:36 PM
Can't wait to see how big Saturday was. It could easily be over $45. Both Spidey and AOTC had their biggest days on Saturday. TPM had its second biggest day on its opening Saturday.

Yog
May 22nd, 2005, 12:08:25 AM
Yeah, the drop is not so bad concidering it was following the single highest gross on a day in box office history. The friday number is tracking way ahead of the previous prequels. Saturday should be great :)

jjwr
May 22nd, 2005, 07:47:08 AM
35.5 on Friday is great, thats a 80m+ opening for your typical movie, for this it should hit 45M on Saturday which would give it a chance at the 3 day record and the 4 day mark is as good as gone.

Dutchy
May 22nd, 2005, 10:47:56 AM
Estimates:

$40.9M for Saturday
108.5M for the 3-day weekend
158.5M for the 4-day weekend

Jedieb
May 22nd, 2005, 03:22:52 PM
Mojo's day by day estimates:
Thurs. 50.0
Fri. 33.8
Sat. 40.9
Sun. 33.8

I just got back from a 1:30 show with my son and a friend of his. The place was packed. The only available seats were the front row. I expected a higher Sat. gross but that's still more than respectable. I think it's pretty obvious these numbers will change during the week. I think it's a stretch that both Fri. and Sat. will have practically the same gross. I'm just hoping that when the final numbers come in a couple of those days go up.

Cat Terrist
May 22nd, 2005, 04:16:54 PM
If you think about it, ROTS would have had almost a clean shot at every theatre, who would have wanted to see anything else on Thursday? Plus, the amount of midnight screeners really helped boost the total. What your really seeing is that ROTS has hit the real limit of the availible screenings and really could not make any more. More than 40 million is such a difficult thing to do, you need so many theatres and showings.

158 million fouy day is insanely huge. Hell, 108 three day is insane. No one got close to predicting it.

Jedieb
May 22nd, 2005, 07:55:58 PM
Carr and I were close. I had $112 and $154, and Carr had $110 and $154. What none of us saw coming was that $50M Thursday. Those final numbers and next week's hold will be crucial. I wonder what the international numbers look like. I haven't checked any of them out.

jjwr
May 23rd, 2005, 06:58:49 AM
boxofficemojo is saying 302m Worldwide for the weekend, not sure if that includes all 4 days of the US release or not, either way its at least a 140M weekend worldwide which is huge as well.

Great numbers! Had Lucas wanted it he could have easily set a 3 day record but at least 4 day gives more people the chance to see it. Now the real question is next weekend, with another 4 day weekend this thing could be closing in on 300M by the end of next weekend.

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2005, 09:30:01 AM
I was looking at Guru and they had the number of prints, which I hadn't seen before. ROTS had over 9,400 prints compared to the 6,000 that AOTC had. I think it'll have a great shot at 300M by next weekend. The 4 day weekend and good word of mouth should help. But I think it's going to face some really tough competition in Mad and TLY. I know I want to see TLY, the original as well. I haven't seen it in ages.

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2005, 03:14:26 PM
The final numbers are in:
Friday
$33,529,613
Saturday
$40,693,760
Sunday
$34,212,468

Total so far
$158,449,700

Friday and Saturday went down a bit, but Sunday went up so it still managed to hit 158. Huge start. Now we have to see how it weathers the competition. Of course, if the numbers tumble we know it's all just part of a vast B.O. conspiracy.:rollin

Cat Terrist
May 23rd, 2005, 03:49:51 PM
Jedi3187!
Jedi3187!
Jedi3187!

CMJ
May 23rd, 2005, 06:28:37 PM
3167 actually....

Amazing how we remember that clown so well after six years.

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2005, 08:42:23 PM
Actually, you're both wrong. It was JediDumbas.... And we remember him because he came so close to unraveling our plot. :evil

JediBoricua
May 23rd, 2005, 08:50:56 PM
Get a life!!!!!! ;)

You guys remember the tshirt with GL on top of a naboo fighter sinking the Titanic?

Memories...

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2005, 09:29:24 AM
LOL that guy was a clown. It is an amazing start, I think 350 is a lock. If it has decent legs it should get past 400, but it could stall out like Spiderman 2 did and stop in the 380's. WW it could get to 800 million which is really good.

Jedieb
May 24th, 2005, 09:52:27 AM
Am the only one that's noticed a lot of people who skipped AOTC are coming back for ROTS? I talked to my parents over the weekend and my father, who loves to ridicule all things sci-fi, took my mother to see ROTS. My sister is also planning on seeing it. They both passed on AOTC. I think a lot of people are coming back to see Vader and the end of the series.

JMK
May 24th, 2005, 09:56:25 AM
Yeah I think a lot of people are curious. All week I've heard people at the ball park, at the office, on the radio (sports radio mind you) talking about Star Wars. This movie is making the rounds and everyone is being sucked into the vortex this time.

jjwr
May 24th, 2005, 01:39:26 PM
$14.2 Million Estimate for Monday...wow! After 5 days its pushing $172m, the 8 day $200m record is probably safe from getting broken but it may be tied. 300m mark is just about in the bag...

JMK
May 24th, 2005, 01:42:14 PM
200 million in 8 days should be safe, I'm sure it will end up in a tie. It would have to average about 14 million for both tuesday and wednesday in order to break the record...which movie has the record anyway? Spider Man?

jjwr
May 24th, 2005, 01:43:42 PM
Spiderman 2 has the record for 200m, Shrek 2 has the 300m record. It will be close to 200m by day 7 but I'm guessing about 20-23m combined for the next two days for 190-195M in 7, 200-205 in 8.

JMK
May 24th, 2005, 02:02:15 PM
How long did it take Shrek 2 to get to 300M...and what makes you so certain that RotS will break that?

JediBoricua
May 24th, 2005, 02:13:12 PM
Well in Puerto Rico it has made a whopping: $1,080,623

That's about .25 cents per capita. And the most expensive ticket here is only $6.

It has broken every single record.

jjwr
May 24th, 2005, 02:30:32 PM
300M was 18 days, ok so it may not hit that point but after the monster opening week it will have to really bomb this coming weekend.

Figure 5 Days - 172 Million

Tuesday-Thursday - 28 Million = 200m in 8 Days.

Friday-Monday 4 Day Memorial Day Weekend - Ep 2 did 54% of its opening weekend on the same weekend, matching this would give Ep 3 - 85M for four days, being conservative and say 65M

= 265M through 14 Days. Needs 7.5M per day counting the following Friday to match. Not 100% Guaranteed but if it holds up well next weekend the record will fall, if not then it will be tougher but should tie.

Yog
May 24th, 2005, 03:05:12 PM
Well in Puerto Rico it has made a whopping: $1,080,623

That's about .25 cents per capita. And the most expensive ticket here is only $6.

It has broken every single record

In Oslo, it made somewhere between $1-2 per capita just over the weekend, but movie tickets here are very expensive - like $14 for adult ticket. In terms of actual visits (box office is calculated in actual # of paid tickets here), "only" 1/6th of the population watched it from thursday to sunday. I say only, because thats peanuts compared to the LOTR movies. However, Norwegians are absolute lunatic fanatist Tolkien worshippers. Its clear that it wont break any records here. To do that, it would have to do double the traffic at least.

$14.2 Million Estimate for Monday...wow! After 5 days its pushing $172m, the 8 day $200m record is probably safe from getting broken but it may be tied. 300m mark is just about in the bag...

The monday number is actually incredible strong, allready indicating this wont be as frontloaded as its predecessor. It ranks among the highest mondays ever and its a normal non holiday weekday. In comparison, AOTC made 10.6M on its first monday and TPM made 10.8.

The $200M record will certainly be tied.

Shrek 2 made $300M in 18 days. I think ROTS got a very good chance to beat that, because its tracking far ahead of Shrek 2. Currently, its at 172M after 5 days, while S2 was only at 129M at the same point in time. ROTS will have to hit the 300M by friday in its third weekend.

Jedieb
May 24th, 2005, 09:46:49 PM
I'm not that concerned with fastest to 100M marks. Legs, I want to see legs. That Monday hold was pretty good. A bigger % drop than AOTC, but it had a much higher total to drop from. I think ROTS has a great shot to avoid dropping under $10 this first week which will really pad it's numbers. Thursday and Wed. should be it's low days this week. If they're over 10M then I think that's a sign that we're looking at $400M for sure.

Yog
May 25th, 2005, 02:08:31 AM
I allready feel fairly certain its going to hit $400M. The Force is strong in this one.

Jedieb
May 25th, 2005, 11:19:33 AM
Anyone seen how ROTS is holding up on IMBD? The other day it was right behind ROTJ at 131. It's slipped a bit but it's the first prequel so far to make the top #250.

8. ANH - Votes: 137,038 Avg: (8.7)
10. ESB - 105,779 (8.7)
130. ROTJ - 84,345 (8.0)
166. ROTS - 31,543 (7.9)

AOTC 7.0/10 (66,440 votes)
TPM 6.4/10 (86,892 votes)

I think it'll stay there and it has an outside shot at overtaking ROTJ.

JMK
May 25th, 2005, 11:52:20 AM
I think in the end it may overtake it. But if it misses, it will be just barely. Still, it's proof positive that the general public is digging this movie in a way that TPM and AotC hasn't been appreciated.

Dutchy
May 25th, 2005, 12:15:33 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Still, it's proof positive that the general public is digging this movie in a way that TPM and AotC hasn't been appreciated.

I really miss Jonathan. I bet he could write a 300 paged book to prove you wrong. :)

CMJ
May 25th, 2005, 12:42:08 PM
Originally posted by Dutchy
I really miss Jonathan. I bet he could write a 300 paged book to prove you wrong. :)

Actually I think it's 250 pages. http://www.anticipationbook.com/

;)

BTW - I find imdb rankings to be garbage. I love the site for the info but people that post and vote there are morons. It's like all AOL users. ;)

JMK
May 25th, 2005, 12:50:56 PM
You're right, for the most part I don't put much stock in IMDB's rankings. But in the case of SW, I give them a little credit. When you tell SW bashers that ANH is #8 all time, ESB is #10, according to IMDB, their main response is that it's all Star Wars nerds voting over and over to boost its ranking. If that were true then the same Star Wars nerds would vote again and again to prop up TPM and AotC, but that hasn't happened.

CMJ
May 25th, 2005, 01:39:45 PM
Tuesday total - 9.9M

JMK
May 25th, 2005, 01:47:17 PM
Just shy of double digits! :(

jjwr
May 25th, 2005, 02:42:34 PM
Yeah just under 10M, I was thinking it would go a bit higher. It needs to average 8.65M the next two days to tie the record. I know its not a big deal but it would be nice for it to gets its name on as many records as possible.

Jonathon...blech! He's not a bad guy as long as you agree with everything he says cause otherwise your obviously wrong ;)

Yog
May 25th, 2005, 02:45:15 PM
Ouch, I was hoping for 11M at least. Hope it does not continue to lose steam at this rate for the remaining weekdays, or I will start to have some doubts about its legs.

Dutchy
May 25th, 2005, 03:49:54 PM
Indeed, 9.9M is a tad bit on the disappointing side.

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2005, 05:14:03 PM
Too bad I wasn't able to post here before I would have helped to give some caution to monday's numbers :) Monday was a holiday in canada. Victoria's Day I think Shrek 2 had a huge boost last year as I remember and it dropped the same 30% as ROTS on Tuesday. So really it is not bad, heck how many movies make close to 10 million when school is stilll going on? Really we won't know the legs of the film until after Memorial Day. I think it might barely get to 200 million by Thursday or be a million off. And it can make another 70-80 million for that four day weekend that would put it at 270-280 which would get it close already to 300.

Jedieb
May 26th, 2005, 09:55:15 AM
You're right, for the most part I don't put much stock in IMDB's rankings. But in the case of SW, I give them a little credit. When you tell SW bashers that ANH is #8 all time, ESB is #10, according to IMDB, their main response is that it's all Star Wars nerds voting over and over to boost its ranking. If that were true then the same Star Wars nerds would vote again and again to prop up TPM and AotC, but that hasn't happened.

That's one of the reasons I brought it up. Whatever you think of the site, it does give a pretty large sample of voters. In fact, a few of us have probably already cast our votes. I was a bit dissapointed with the 9.9. Wed. is sure to be lower. Strong competition this week. Gotta think that even if ROTS holds on to #1 the Sandler comedy is going to pull alot of 18-35 males.

JMK
May 26th, 2005, 10:04:58 AM
I've never voted on IMDB for any movie.

And The Longest Yard will not get my money as long as RotS is in theaters!

Darth McBain
May 26th, 2005, 10:20:36 AM
I don't know about those ratings on IMDB. It pretty much seems like the hottest movie out in the theaters invariably goes up into the top 250. If you look at a sampling of their top 250, there are tons of movies from 2000 onward. I get the impression that their voting is solely based on what's hot right now. I remember when The Two Towers was coming out, it was listed as the #2 movie of all time two days before it's release. I think that just goes to prove what a flawed system of voting they have...

Yog
May 26th, 2005, 11:05:25 AM
Youre right that the IMDB ratings are skewed towards newer releases, because they are hot and popular at that time etc. But given some time, an overrated movie tends to stabilise/correct to more appropriate level. Honestly, even if there are some new entries pops in on the top 250 list from time to time, its still a pretty decent representation of some of the best films in motion picture history.

And yeah, there are some new movies in there, but at least its a balanced mix, not like some of the pretentious high brow lists which only list movies if its more than 30 years old..

When you tell SW bashers that ANH is #8 all time, ESB is #10, according to IMDB, their main response is that it's all Star Wars nerds voting over and over to boost its ranking. If that were true then the same Star Wars nerds would vote again and again to prop up TPM and AotC, but that hasn't happened

Not only that, but if you look at how the voting is distributed you can tell alot about what the consensus is. Take a look at ROTS for example:

10 47%
9 21%
8 13%
7 7%
6 3.7%
5 2.0%
4 1.3%
3 1.0%
2 0.6%
1 3.6%

It just gradually declines making for a nice curve down to the lower grades. In fact, the only one that stands out are those who voted 1 which is 6x the amount who voted 2. Most of those can probably be counted as sabotage votes.

TPM in contrast got most amount of votes a 7, and a substantial amount of votes 6, 5 and 4, pulling the average down to a more realistic 6.4.

Jedieb
May 26th, 2005, 01:16:54 PM
It's not just new releases that show up on IMBD. They've got a ton of classics in their top 250. Everything from Casablanca to the Godfather. Hell, some of my old time favorites like His Girl Friday are in the top 250. If you go through the list you can find movies from just about any decade.

Yog
May 26th, 2005, 01:45:56 PM
Yeah, there are like 4 Hitchcock movies among the top 34. Which is really cool IMO. A large portion of the movies seem to be in the range 40s to early 70s era, which is a favorite period of mine and a golden age of cinematics. That was before Hollywood started putting out modern blockbusters like jaws etc.

Yog
May 26th, 2005, 02:11:59 PM
Wednesday: 8.7 million -12.7%

Episode III made 191.4 million in its first week

JMK
May 26th, 2005, 02:14:45 PM
and like Star Wars? ;)

Lucas and Spielberg get all the heat from highbrows for 'killing cinema'.

JMK
May 26th, 2005, 02:34:06 PM
$8,652,951 for Wednesday. Disappointing, yet predictable considering Tuesday's and Wednesday's performances. :\

It's going to take 8.63 million tonight to tie the 200M record.

Dutchy
May 26th, 2005, 03:38:20 PM
Originally posted by Darth McBain
I don't know about those ratings on IMDB. It pretty much seems like the hottest movie out in the theaters invariably goes up into the top 250. If you look at a sampling of their top 250, there are tons of movies from 2000 onward. I get the impression that their voting is solely based on what's hot right now. I remember when The Two Towers was coming out, it was listed as the #2 movie of all time two days before it's release. I think that just goes to prove what a flawed system of voting they have...

Those are all great movies (well, except Dogville, which I hate) from 2000 onward. And they're not THAT recent anymore.

What's wrong with valueing contemporary movies? I personally like 'em much more than ancient ones.

Dutchy
May 26th, 2005, 04:48:26 PM
Episode III made 191.4 million in its first week

Not a record: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weeks.htm

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2005, 06:47:36 PM
Well Spiderman 2 had a lot of help from the 4th of July that is why it has it. It made like almost 20 million on the monday after the fourth which really helped it. Actually SP2 took a nose dive after that, and I have no idea why. Also 8.7 is a really good day for a wednesday during the middle of May. I think it can get about 8.5-8.9 for Thursday and hopefully make 200 million before Memorial day. Also about The Longest Yard it looks horrible, IMO. It looks like the worst Sandler film I have seen, I haven't laughed at any of the trailers so far.

jjwr
May 26th, 2005, 08:21:53 PM
It just missed the highest grossing week and will probably miss tying the fastest to 200M. Considering what Sp2 had going for it though, opened on the 4th of July weekend, so it had a 4 day weekend and then another Friday to get the record and only 3 week days thrown in, and it played in about 400 more theatres.

What that really says is how amazing Ep3 is doing considering its not super huge launch(though it is quite large) and hasn't had a holiday weekend yet...and no last Thursday didn't count as a holiday :)

Dutchy
May 27th, 2005, 01:43:37 PM
$9.1M for Thursday, so it did tie the fastest to $200M after all. :)

$200.4M, to be exact. SM2 was at $202.0M on its 8th day, so if they use that as a tie-breaker, SM2 will stay number 1.

Yog
May 27th, 2005, 01:57:25 PM
Yeah, I had a feeling there might be a small boost on thursday. It seems to have stabilised, which is good news. Next milestone; fastest to 300M, which I am confident it will make.

Dutchy
May 27th, 2005, 02:14:23 PM
Yup, behind SM2: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fastest.htm?page=200&p=.htm

Dutchy
May 27th, 2005, 02:15:16 PM
Yeah, I had a feeling there might be a small boost on thursday. It seems to have stabilised, which is good news. Next milestone; fastest to 300M, which I am confident it will make.

Yeah, it has a good shot at the $300M record.

jjwr
May 27th, 2005, 04:02:29 PM
Very nice, after the Monday #'s I think we got a bit of a false sense of hope of it being able to take the record but at least it tied it. Now the 300M should fall, though this weekends take will definetly be key.

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2005, 05:34:14 PM
Also impressed neither TPM or AOTC increased on its second thursday, they both had slight decreases. I think that is a good sign for future legs. Also SM2 had a huge advantage with the 4th that is why it has the record.

jjwr
May 27th, 2005, 05:40:16 PM
SM2 had a lot more going for it for the front loaded start, a 4 day weekend and then another friday, considering it had a regular weekend and 5 week days Ep3 did just fine :)

Jedieb
May 27th, 2005, 07:52:14 PM
I'm going nuts and predicting $90M for the 4 day weekend. The Devil isn't far behind with around 87M. If eithe one of us is close that should put $300M within reach Wed. or Thurs. I don't think a double digit Tues. is a realistic guess. I think the next couple of weeks after that should give plenty of younger fans a chance to get in repeat viewings. Schools will be letting out for summer around the country. My son is done next week and I'm finished on June the 10th. Time to pile up the summer viewings.

Yog
May 27th, 2005, 11:04:28 PM
I really hope youre right Jedieb. If it makes more than 90, its TPM type of legs, and we could start calculating scenarios for 500M.. :)

I allready concider 400M+ a lock at this time.

Dutchy
May 28th, 2005, 04:42:29 AM
I'm going nuts and predicting $90M for the 4 day weekend. The Devil isn't far behind with around 87M. If eithe one of us is close that should put $300M within reach Wed. or Thurs. I don't think a double digit Tues. is a realistic guess.

Tuesday is only its 13th day, it has another 4 days to break the record, which would include another Friday and Saturday.

Should be a piece of cake, even with a $75M 4-day weekend, or so.

Shrek 2 holds the current record with 18 days.

JMK
May 28th, 2005, 02:21:26 PM
Very close friday evening at the cinemas. RotS falls to #2 for the night and needs to finish the weekend if it wants to be #1. I think it would be a huge shock if it dethroned as #1 after only one week.

1. The Longest Yard $15,750,000
2. Revenge of the Sith $15,470,000
3. Madagascar $14,030,000

Lilaena De'Ville
May 28th, 2005, 02:46:03 PM
We're going to see it again tonight. :D

JMK
May 28th, 2005, 02:48:36 PM
Us too, gotta pitch in and help the cause! And just to make sure I help as much as possible, I'm going to the most expensive theater in town! Digital baby!:rollin

Rutabaga
May 28th, 2005, 03:33:39 PM
I'm going to see it again tomorrow, and I know of at least a couple of people at work who were planning on seeing it this weekend. And I think my sister and a good ol' friend of mine are planning to go as well. So we'll definitely do our part.

I think ROTS still has a great chance of being #1 for the weekend...WOM on both The Longest Yard and Madagascar isn't all that great. And even if they do decently, they'll drop off sharply next week.

And even if ROTS does fall off more than we expected this weekend, I don't think I'll be totally surprised...it sounds cliched by now, but the very dark tone of this one could cause repeat viewings to be a little lower than for the previous movies in the series.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 28th, 2005, 04:49:24 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
And even if ROTS does fall off more than we expected this weekend, I don't think I'll be totally surprised...it sounds cliched by now, but the very dark tone of this one could cause repeat viewings to be a little lower than for the previous movies in the series.

I agree - I saw AotC about 10 times while it was in the theatres, but I'm not sure I'll manage more than perhaps 4 times on RotS. That, and money is a bit tighter with a house payment this year. ;)

Jedieb
May 28th, 2005, 05:39:58 PM
Well, 85M-90M looks like a dream, but #1 is up for grabs.
Friday's Estimates
1. The Longest Yard $15,750,000
2. Revenge of the Sith $15,470,000
3. Madagascar $14,030,000
4. Monster-in-Law $2,690,000
5. Kicking and Screaming $1,270,000

Quadinaros
May 28th, 2005, 07:25:16 PM
Hmm...

I'll guess The Longest Yard finishes the 4-day weekend 3rd, while ROTS and Magadascar battle it out for 1st. Unfortunately I'll give the edge to Magadascar, cause it should get a big Saturday and Sunday bounce.

Not to worry, ROTS will be back on top by Tuesday, then we'll see what happens next week. :smokin

Rutabaga
May 28th, 2005, 08:46:02 PM
I have my doubts about Madagascar's holding power...I normally go out and see the latest computer animated movie, but this one I'm avoiding like the plague. There's absolutely nothing in it that appeals to me...same with Shark Tale, never saw that, don't want to either. Maybe it's a Dreamworks problem I have. I mean, I loved the first Shrek, then hated Shrek 2, and haven't wanted to bother with either Shark Tale or Madagascar. Anywho, I think both Madagascar and The Longest Yard will do respectable business over the weekend, but I still think it's realistic to think that ROTS could end up winning the weekend. And like Quadinaros said, ROTS will most likely rule the week too. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2005, 10:09:02 PM
Longest Yard did so well because teens rushed out to it on Friday, it will fall hard the rest of the weekend. I bet ROTS makes 72-77 for the 4 day period. Saturday and Sunday will be its strongest days and it should do better on Monday then it did on Friday. Should beat the 300 record next Friday or Saturday I bet. I think Madagascar will make in the 60 million range it just doesn't look that good. And WOM is going to kill its legs.

Dutchy
May 29th, 2005, 02:14:43 AM
Star Wars' Sundays are always big, so I'm sure it'll be #1 for the weekend.

Yog
May 29th, 2005, 08:30:15 AM
I found ROTS friday result disturbing if not downright shocking. Ok, upping my prediction from 76 to 87 was very optimistic I admit, but I expected a bigger boost from thursday. My guess is, the competition is hurting its potential this weekend. I suppose 3 movies fighting neck to neck for +60M results can do that. On the bright side, history shows fridays are traditionally not the best days for SW.

Madagascar is worrying though. Thats the kind of movie which has huge weekend multiplier, especially when its a big weekend like this where families have off. Ouch.

jjwr
May 29th, 2005, 09:30:53 AM
I wouldn't worry too much, Longest Yard will have had a big influx of people on Friday, Madagascar might hold on better but RotS will pick it up over the next few days and should still take the weekend.

Rutabaga
May 29th, 2005, 09:54:15 AM
The Longest Yard is the biggest wildcard, I think. Madagascar has a bad critical tomatometer at Rotten Tomatoes, and its user tomatometer is even worse than the critical one. Yes, only about a dozen people have posted reviews, but still...

The Longest Yard's tomatometers are the opposite, critical is low, user is higher. But I haven't exactly heard people salivating over seeing the movie, at least not in the crowds I hover around. So I dunno.

Still, I think ROTS will do just fine this weekend. And if it isn't number one, eh, so be it. Even if The Longest Yard and/or Madagascar beats it, just take a look at their cumulative totals at the end of the summer and see who the real winner was. :D

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2005, 09:57:49 AM
I don't think TLY will do well during Saturday and Sunday since those are family days. Sure it should do about 50 for the four day weekend, which I consider good but it won't do as well as the other two films.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2005, 10:11:55 AM
According to Mojo here are the estimates for this weekend

1 STAR WARS: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH

$20,820,000

34.6% / $5,684
$236,733,000 / 10

2 MADAGASCAR

$18,170,000

29.5% / $4,398
$32,200,000 / 2

3 THE LONGEST YARD

$17,050,000

8.3% / $4,692
$32,800,000 / 2

Star Wars will do 70 at least for the 4 day period, could do as much as 75 I think. I think anything above that was impossible because Madagascar and The Longest Yard are both doing very well, both should make over 50 for the four days maybe even 60.

Rutabaga
May 29th, 2005, 11:32:31 AM
I figure ROTS will do at least 20 million again today...although Sunday takes are traditionally lower than Saturday takes, this is a holiday weekend, so probably more people than usual will go to the movies today. And plenty will go tomorrow as well. So I do think 70 million for the 4-day period is not unrealistic at all.

Yog
May 29th, 2005, 11:53:23 AM
Oh, good. Madagascar had a lot lower saturday boost than I thought it would. Looks like ROTS will keep the throne this weekend after all. Lots of people ran out to see the openers on friday it seems. Its a bit sad in how well these movies made concidering their reviews and how ROTS probably is 75x better entertainment. I would have loved if ROTS had the weekend to itself, hehe.

I believe the saturday ranking will project and amplify over the full weekend. So its most likely going to be 1. ROTS 2. Madagascar and 3. TLY when all said and done.

This was a tough weekend. Tougher than I thought it would be. Next week, however, these two contenders should have run out of steam and I have trouble seeing the openers in the 50/60M+ class.

On the bright side, its now official: The summer box office is in full swing again after a long Cinderella sleep. We can all sigh in relief. Movies at cinema theaters is not dying after all :)

Jedieb
May 29th, 2005, 02:03:14 PM
My wife took the kids to see Madagascar yesterday. While they enjoyed it, she didn't think it was all that good. I don't think Mad will fare as well with adults as recent computer animated fare. I think it'll drop off after this weekend and ROTS will pick up some of its business.

Rutabaga
May 29th, 2005, 03:50:26 PM
Just got back from my second viewing (and dadgummit, I still needed a Kleenex at certain points), it was in one of our smaller theaters (I'd guess it holds about 150 people or so), and I'm glad to report that the theater was probably about 90% full. This was the first show at 11:45, and there are two other screens showing it. So overall, I think the turnout was very good, all things considered. Especially since there is some competition for people's attention in our neck of the woods...each year on Memorial Day weekend, the town about 20 miles north of us holds their annual Strawberry Festival, which is always a huge draw.

The lobby of the theater was packed with people when the movie was over too...oh, I know not all of them were waiting for the next showing of ROTS, but still, it was nice to see. :)

Jedieb
May 29th, 2005, 04:43:22 PM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwarsprequel.htm

That's Mojo's side by side prequel comparison. (Why they've got ROTK on there is beyond me.) ROTS is crushing AOTC and it's beaten TPM every day. If you adjust for inflation then TPM wins its fair share, but I think it's tracking pretty well to match or even surpass TPM's 430M. Again, we'll have to see who well it holds on in the next few weeks. I don't think it will match TPM's adjusted run, but I think it will come close enough to pass it on the unadjusted list.

JMK
May 29th, 2005, 06:41:01 PM
Does anyone remember what type of competition opened up after TPM? All I can remember is American Pie and The Sixth Sense, but they weren't movies projected to be box office smashes. Rots is going to have stiff competition soon enough with the release of Batman and War of the Worlds.

Eluna Thals
May 29th, 2005, 08:06:59 PM
My wife took the kids to see Madagascar yesterday. While they enjoyed it, she didn't think it was all that good. I don't think Mad will fare as well with adults as recent computer animated fare. I think it'll drop off after this weekend and ROTS will pick up some of its business.

Come again? Madagascar was riotously hilarious.

I think this is a case of SW fans trying to rationalize the competition out of Box Office contention.

Doc Milo
May 29th, 2005, 08:23:35 PM
Does anyone remember what type of competition opened up after TPM? All I can remember is American Pie and The Sixth Sense, but they weren't movies projected to be box office smashes. Rots is going to have stiff competition soon enough with the release of Batman and War of the Worlds.

I think there was an Austin Powers movie in there, and possibly (if I remember correctly) a Bond movie...

Eluna Thals
May 29th, 2005, 08:41:27 PM
Originally posted by Doc Milo
I think there was an Austin Powers movie in there, and possibly (if I remember correctly) a Bond movie...

The World is Not Enough didn't hit theaters until late fall of 99, IIRC.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2005, 08:57:59 PM
Originally posted by Eluna Thals

I think this is a case of SW fans trying to rationalize the competition out of Box Office contention.

Not according to critics, most of them hated the movie said it was boring for adults. I personally think the trailers look boring and I think it is no Shrek.

JediBoricua
May 29th, 2005, 09:03:51 PM
I saw it.

It's mediocre at best.

Definitly no Shrek or Pixar.

Haven't seen ROTS in a week. Will probably see it after college ends next week.

Sanis Prent
May 29th, 2005, 09:09:29 PM
Not according to critics, most of them hated the movie said it was boring for adults. I personally think the trailers look boring and I think it is no Shrek.

Critics aren't exactly a good meter stick for an animated comedy, Watson.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2005, 09:14:49 PM
Well I take my own opinion then, I didn't laugh at any of the trailers, to me that is a bad sign.

Sanis Prent
May 29th, 2005, 09:17:03 PM
Maybe go see the movie instead of casting judgment beforehand?

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2005, 09:31:14 PM
I can't afford to do that, money wise maybe as a rental but pay 8 bucks to go to a theater no way. I have to make prejudgments to save money.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 29th, 2005, 09:31:50 PM
I loved Madagascar. The humor to me was two-fold; more slapstick goofy stuff for the kids, and subtle sendouts for the adults. The American Beauty bit with Alex was great, and I loved the penguins.

The animation was great; from my viewpoint. The design and feel of the characters was unique, and the environments were well done. I was especially impressed with the Sea swells, when the group gets dumped into the ocean and are seperated by the waves. I found myself staring wide-eyed at the motion and animated textures that rose and fell before me.

I really do recommend people see this movie, and even if they see it and don't like it, then at least they've got a foot to stand on instead of condemning it after seeing nothing but a trailer for it.

Cat Terrist
May 30th, 2005, 12:44:13 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Critics aren't exactly a good meter stick for an animated comedy, Watson.

Oh, ummm Pixar stuff gets hailed by critics and so did Shrek, Antz, Ice age, etc. I think they are pretty good at picking what's garbage and what's not.

Edit : whoops, forgot this place had a swear filter

General Dan
May 30th, 2005, 12:52:07 AM
Yeah thats nice but Antz was pretty lame so we can't really keep this Pixar vs Dreamworks nerd tug of war in black & white terms. Go see the movie already if you're going to devote enough bluster to argue about it on an internet forum.

Yes, a Shark's Tale was crap. Get over it. This one isn't.

Quadinaros
May 30th, 2005, 08:18:35 AM
TPM had no competition for four weeks until Austin Powers 2 knocked it off the top. The only other major movie to open was Notting Hill on Memorial Day weekend. All the other major releases came after Austin like Big Daddy and Wild Wild West.

Yog
May 30th, 2005, 10:57:20 AM
TPM had no competition for four weeks until Austin Powers 2 knocked it off the top. The only other major movie to open was Notting Hill on Memorial Day weekend. All the other major releases came after Austin like Big Daddy and Wild Wild West

Aye, which is one good reason TPM did so well. Another reason is 15 years of so of anticipation. Basically, unless you were living under a rock, you would probably going to see the first Star Wars episode in a movie theater. Finally, the initial WOM was not so bad as one might think for the first few weeks. A lot of the TPM bashing & critisism came at a later stage.

Rutabaga
May 30th, 2005, 11:04:12 AM
Weekend Numbers are out:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2005&wknd=21a&p=.htm

Not bad, not bad at all...$70 million for the 4-day weekend, as anticipated. Madagascar and TLY did well, about $60 million a piece, but they'll probably drop off next weekend. ROTS will as well, but I think it will still win next weekend because there's not much competition coming out, just Cinderella Man and The Lords of Dogtown.

Any thoughts on how Mr. and Mrs. Smith will do in 2 weekends? I've had to sit through the trailer with ROTS both times, and it looks fairly average to me, not much different from things we've seen before. (Same with Stealth.) I'm just wondering what effect the outside crapola about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will have on the BO take, if any.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 30th, 2005, 11:17:53 AM
I'm very excited to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith, because it looks like a pretty clever action/comedy movie.

Yog
May 30th, 2005, 11:20:42 AM
ROTS still got a shot at the fastest to 300M record. It needs to make 29M in the tuesday-friday frame to do that. At the very least it will tie the record.

I dont believe Angelina Jolie got much box office draw, but Brad Pitt got some. And yeah, the movie looks average. Not sure if it will beat ROTS or not. If it does not, there is one movie in the week after that which will conqueer all, the next Batman movie.

jjwr
May 30th, 2005, 11:33:17 AM
Considering two other movies opened at 60m+ then the 70m of RotS is pretty darn good. With no big releases next weekend it should pull in another solid gross.

Dutchy
May 30th, 2005, 11:47:15 AM
Originally posted by Quadinaros
TPM had no competition for four weeks until Austin Powers 2 knocked it off the top. The only other major movie to open was Notting Hill on Memorial Day weekend. All the other major releases came after Austin like Big Daddy and Wild Wild West.

I really miss Jonathan. :(

JMK
May 30th, 2005, 12:10:23 PM
Mr & Mrs. Smith depends almost entirely on how much skin Jolie will show, otherwise people won't go to see it. ;)

Stealth is a bomb waiting to happen and Cinderella Man will probably act a lot like A Beautiful Mind did. The same fans of Crowe/Howard will check that one out.

But Yoghurt's right, once Batman comes out, it's pretty much over for RotS at #1. It may eventually come back and get back on top if its legs stay strong but by that time there may be too much competition out, especially since War of the World comes out right after Batman.

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2005, 08:26:42 PM
ROTS still got a shot at the fastest to 300M record. It needs to make 29M in the tuesday-friday frame to do that. At the very least it will tie the record.

I dont believe Angelina Jolie got much box office draw, but Brad Pitt got some. And yeah, the movie looks average. Not sure if it will beat ROTS or not. If it does not, there is one movie in the week after that which will conqueer all, the next Batman movie.

I think it will make the record on Friday and it will be #1 as well. The Longest Yard is a huge shock, though I bet it drops over 50% next weekend but still didn't see that opening this high, I think that took money away from ROTS.

Jedieb
May 31st, 2005, 07:15:08 PM

I think this is a case of SW fans trying to rationalize the competition out of Box Office contentio

I'm not trying to rationalize squat. My wife didn't like it and like Carr mentioned, critics (many of whom gave positive review to recent animated pics) haven't been too kind to it. Also, nothing I've seen in the trailers has sparked my interest. I've enjoyed most of the computer animated flicks that have come out in recent years and I've seen most of them in theaters with my kids. I'm not going to trash something just because it's competing against ROTS. I'm dying to see TLY. I loved the original, have enjoyed the trailers, and I like most of Sandler's stuff. I could care less that it's competing against ROTS.

And as for prejudging a movie, there isn't a single person here who at one time or another hasn't made up their mind about a movie from trailers, word of mouth, actors involved, genre, etc. Everybody does it. If I'm not wild about a movie, see that it gets so-so reviews, and then talk to someone who I know quite well and they don't like it then I'm probably not going to bother with it until it hits cable or the kids ask for the DVD.

jjwr
Jun 1st, 2005, 06:06:12 AM
I've heard the same things about Madagascar, when the general consensus is its more Shark Tale and less Shrek then I won't take the chance on it in the theatre and just wait for DVD.

As for RotS. Considering there were two 60m Movies opening the same weekend, both of which share portions of the same audience then its 70M gross was more than respectable. Had only 1 of those movies opened it would have gone huge but even with both taking away business it still raked in a massive total and with no new direct competition next weekend another solid weekend should be in store.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 1st, 2005, 10:28:05 AM
I don't know anything about boxoffice numbers (other than higher is better!) but it looks like RotS is tracking almost the same if not better than TPM at this point in time.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2005, 10:32:50 AM
It is ahead at this point, the question is the drops. Honestly the next two weeks should be good because there is nothing competing against it until Batman.

Dutchy
Jun 1st, 2005, 12:30:26 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I don't know anything about boxoffice numbers (other than higher is better!) but it looks like RotS is tracking almost the same if not better than TPM at this point in time.

TPM's Memorial Day was better, though: $15.5M vs. $14.8M.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:02:03 PM
Well TPM had no competition on Memorial day so that helped it alot.

Shawn
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:02:25 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Maybe go see the movie instead of casting judgment beforehand? Do you pay to see every movie before deciding whether or not it'd be uninteresting to you? :huh

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:19:18 PM
If I'm gonna spend my energy detracting from it extensively on an internet forum, I try to view it for the sake of hedging my bets, yes.

JMK
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:41:31 PM
$4,406,639 for Tuesday. Ouch.

$274,896,433 total.

CMJ
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:53:20 PM
It's legs are similar to AOTC it seems. Just a bigger opening.

Dutchy
Jun 1st, 2005, 02:08:35 PM
'Revenge of the Sith' vs. 'Attack of the Clones' vs. 'The Phantom Menace'
(vs. 'The Return of the King') (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwarsprequel.htm)

JMK
Jun 1st, 2005, 02:19:12 PM
Seems to be right in between TPM and AotC as far as straight numbers for the 2nd tuesday, but RotK hauled in 9.6 million in its second tuesday. The huge opening is buoying RotS right now.

Yog
Jun 1st, 2005, 03:02:38 PM
The drop on tuesday is not too encouraging. Unfortunately, at this point onwards, I believe it will start lagging behind TPM. The one thing that might save it is lack of competition. Currently, I believe spiderman type gross is the most we could hope for. +450M is out of the question. It might even struggle making 400M if the trend continues. Lets hope for some positive surprises in the days ahead.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2005, 03:14:53 PM
Madagascar dropped worst, I think it shows that 90% of the country is still in school, hence why The Longest Yard dropped the best. Still ROTS should at worst get into 380 range, IMO which is better than what I predicted.

Dutchy
Jun 1st, 2005, 05:19:12 PM
It seems to drop on the IMDb Top 250, too. It's at #227 now.

Jedieb
Jun 1st, 2005, 07:15:40 PM
I think the last few days have shown that ROTS clealy doesn't have TPM's legs. It's running stronget than AOTC though. So the question is will its big start make up for weaker legs and enable it to catch or pass TPM. I think it's going to come pretty close to $400M. Here's a quick comparison of the prequels second week:

.........TPM ------AOTC ------- ROTS
Sun. $18.5M $16.5 $18.7
Mon. $15.5M $12.1 $14.8
Tues. $5.4N $3.5 $4.4

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2005, 09:27:27 PM
It still might get to 400 and maybe pass TPM it will depend on how its legs fair the rest of the way. I am afraid though it might be frontloaded like Spiderman 2 so it could end up between 380-400 at the worst.

jjwr
Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:52:37 AM
380-400m is still great but after the start it had I would be dissapointed with that #.

Honestly to me it seems to be facing a much tougher 2nd week then we were all expecting. I knew both competitors would be tough but not garner the types of grosses they are.

I also know a lot of people who are waiting to see RotS, they don't wat to fight with huge opening crowds. We may see it level out soon and pull in solid but not spectacular grosses. Lots of repeat viewings may follow as people want to see the "last" SW movie one more time...

JMK
Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:06:57 AM
I also know several people who have yet to see RotS, but I think for the most part people who wanted to see it have seen it and we'll have to rely on repeat business from here on in. I guess 500M is out of the question at this point, even 400M is going to be tough. Maybe Lucasfilm has a plan to push the movie again in August or September with ads "See the last Star Wars for the last time" sort of thing.

CMJ
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:21:37 AM
My original prediction was 370M. At first I thought I way underestimated, but now I look like I'm in the right ballpark. :\

JMK
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:28:48 AM
I said 403, I'm hoping that it gets at least that far. After the opening I thought I was waaaay below what it would ultimately be, but it may be right on as well.

CMJ
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:35:53 AM
At this point I'd be happy for you to be right on, and not me . ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:34:05 AM
Hey I said 360 and that will probably be a little low. I think it might get to 400 but barely it is really hard to say. Honestly the opening is like Spiderman 2 and that film had less competition and couldn't make 400 and that was better film than the first one. It is sometimes hard for sequels epecially when they become more frontloaded.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:45:33 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
If I'm gonna spend my energy detracting from it extensively on an internet forum, I try to view it for the sake of hedging my bets, yes.

bs!!! i call bs!!!

Try != you do it

JMK
Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:51:44 PM
$4,004,937 for wednesday.
$278,901,370 total.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:09:50 PM
That is an okay drop about the same as The Longest Yard. I think it will go up for Thursday probably to like 4.5, still it won't beat the fastest too 300 probably will do that on Saturday and tie that record.

JMK
Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:39:01 PM
Down again thursday: $3,903,255

Total of $282,804,625

I think we can kiss breaking fastest to 300M goodbye.

Dutchy
Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:06:47 PM
Exactly, that's what I was about to post.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:20:09 PM
It will tie it on Saturday more than likely. Best new is it had the best drop of the top 5.

Dutchy
Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:30:59 PM
Sunday will be tie, Saturday would be beat.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:36:50 PM
I thought it was a tie on Sautrday? If it can beat it on Saturday then I think it can still do it. It can make 17+ in two days should be able to do 7-8 on Friday and 10-11 on Saturday.

Dutchy
Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:36:03 PM
Record is 18, Saturday is ROTS' 17th day.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:13:58 PM
Okay cool, not sure where I got that wrong. I think it is safe to say it will tie at least could beat it if it makes enough between Friday and Saturday.

Rutabaga
Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:29:17 PM
ROTS has gone from 3 screens at my local theater down to 2 screens for this weekend. I'm sure my theater isn't the only one where that's happened. So it'll be interesting to see the per-screen average for this weekend, when all is said and done.

Record should be tied with no problem, with a realistic chance of it being beaten tomorrow. And on Sunday, I'll contribute another $6 to the pot. :)

Dutchy
Jun 4th, 2005, 07:14:08 AM
Okay cool, not sure where I got that wrong. I think it is safe to say it will tie at least could beat it if it makes enough between Friday and Saturday.

If it ties the record, it could actually still beat it. Shrek 2 was at $302.6M on its 18th day, so it ROTS beats that number on Sunday, it will still be the new fastest to $300M record holder.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2005, 02:01:51 PM
7.3 estimated on Friday according to Showbizdata. That puts it over 290 so it needs about 10 on Saturday to beat the record. I say that happens easily now, should do over 25 for the weekend too, probably somewhere around 26-28 which is a good decent weekend. Not sure about 400, as I said before it might fall short like 380-395 but that honestly wouldn't bother me. Lets see another 6th film of a franchise do over 300 million.

Rutabaga
Jun 4th, 2005, 02:12:47 PM
7.3 estimated on Friday according to Showbizdata. That puts it over 290 so it needs about 10 on Saturday to beat the record. I say that happens easily now, should do over 25 for the weekend too, probably somewhere around 26-28 which is a good decent weekend. Not sure about 400, as I said before it might fall short like 380-395 but that honestly wouldn't bother me. Lets see another 6th film of a franchise do over 300 million.

Amen to that, brother. :)

There are places or people that will attempt to call ROTS a "failure" or a "disappointment" because it didn't beat TPM, or it didn't beat Titanic, or whatever, but you're absolutely right...what other movie series has had its 6th entry make so much money? Plus, according to Box Office Mojo, the budget was only $113 million, which in this day and age is chicken feed. This has been an extremely successful--and profitable--movie, and no one can detract from that.

And to top it off, it was actually GOOD. What more could anyone ask? :D

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2005, 02:19:31 PM
Its doing better overseas than AOTC as well should make 400 million overseas at least and make 850-900 WW which is a great number. It is amazing for a sixth film in a series to do that, and I am not sure if it will happen again. The only similarity we got coming up is when ever they make the Sixth Harry Potter movie, but I don't see that making over 300, maybe over 250 but it just doesn't have that kind of potential even.

Yog
Jun 4th, 2005, 03:49:02 PM
Overall, ROTS box office run is phenomenal. Anything but disappointing. And its extremely profitable, just like all the other SW movies, especially when you start to concider DVD income, toys and merchandise etc. If you count all the bells and whistles, the Star Wars movies are by far the most economical successful movie franchise ever. Forget Titanic and Gone With the Wind. Even LOTR trilogy cant measure up all things concidered.

However, it would be a bit sad if ROTS wont reach 400M when it has a $50M opening day and its likely the fastest movie movie ever to reach the 300M mark. Some people, me included, hoped that all the great reviews and word of mouth it received by critics and fans would mean at least some better leg strength than AOTC. But so far, there has been little sign of that. Its pretty much dropping at the same rate as its predecessor.

Just a liiiiittle bit more leg strength would make me a happy panda.. I am not asking for too much am I? :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2005, 04:02:26 PM
I think it being so unkid friendly might be hurting it now. People aren't taking their kids which is why we aren't having TPM legs still it is doing better than AOTC because adults are seeing who didn't see AOTC. Finally I think it made so much because movies are becoming increasingly Front loaded. Great example last year with Harry Potter and Spiderman2 both made a lot of money in its first weekend but neither showed any legs. I think it is because the fans rush out and see it first weekend which decreases the legs of these type of movies.

Rutabaga
Jun 4th, 2005, 05:24:40 PM
Overall, ROTS box office run is phenomenal. Anything but disappointing. And its extremely profitable, just like all the other SW movies, especially when you start to concider DVD income, toys and merchandise etc. If you count all the bells and whistles, the Star Wars movies are by far the most economical successful movie franchise ever. Forget Titanic and Gone With the Wind. Even LOTR trilogy cant measure up all things concidered.

However, it would be a bit sad if ROTS wont reach 400M when it has a $50M opening day and its likely the fastest movie movie ever to reach the 300M mark. Some people, me included, hoped that all the great reviews and word of mouth it received by critics and fans would mean at least some better leg strength than AOTC. But so far, there has been little sign of that. Its pretty much dropping at the same rate as its predecessor.

Just a liiiiittle bit more leg strength would make me a happy panda.. I am not asking for too much am I? :)

No, that isn't asking too much...$400 million would be nice, that's for sure. Especially after last year and seeing how much moolah Shrek 2 made. I know I'm in an extreme minority here, but I pretty much hated Shrek 2. I still can't understand why it made so much money...who were all the people going to see it over and over?

Oh, kids, I know, parents were taking kids multiple times. And yup, I doubt that as many parents are taking kids to see ROTS multiple times, because of how heavy the story is. But I, for one, am glad that GL stuck to his guns and refused to edit ROTS to make the PG rating, because it resulted in a much better, much darker, much more meaningful movie. So huzzah to GL on that, even if it does mean that box office receipts might be a little lower than they might have been with a happier PG-rated flick.

On a side note, Dreamworks has now been sued by a shareholder over the sales of the Shrek 2 DVD, which turned out to be lower than the studio had anticipated/trumpted. Hopefully GL will pay attention to this and not let something similar happen to the ROTS DVD.

TLY and Madagascar are holding up better than I expected. I was shocked to see the Friday estimates, because I thought Cinderella Man might be the movie that would beat ROTS, not the holdovers from last weekend. I am perplexed :\ .

But last weekend, ROTS wasn't in first place for Friday but ended up winning the weekend. Don't know if that will happen this weekend, but still...it'll be interesting to see.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2005, 08:19:52 PM
Well Madagascar wouldn't surprise me and I think it might be #1 with ROTS #2, I think TLY will do poorly on Saturday and Sunday. It appears like Cinderella Man is going to open like Seabiscuit did a few years ago which isn't a bad thing.

Doc Milo
Jun 4th, 2005, 09:02:54 PM
I actually saw The Longest Yard -- my stepson wanted to see it -- and I can't say it sucked. I thought it was pretty good. It entertained me. I didn't go in with high expectations, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Is it multi-viewing funny? No. And I don't understand how it could make even as much money as it did. But, overall, I'd rate it a 5 out of 10. It wasn't great. It wasn't horrible.

Rutabaga
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:11:51 AM
Although it's gonna sound like "rationalization" to some people :cool, it seems to be worth pulling out the old chestnut re: running times. ROTS is well over 2 hours, which can cut down on the number of possible showings per day, depending on the theater. For instance, at my theater, ROTS, TLY, and Madagascar are all running on 2 screens a piece. ROTS is scheduled for 8 shows per day, whereas both TLY and Madagascar are scheduled for 10 shows per day because of their shorter running times.

Well, I'm going to go see ROTS again this afternoon and probably again next Sunday, because there's nothing else out there that interests me. But that'll change in a couple of weeks. First Batman Begins (which Ebert and Roeper raved about this weekend, calling it the best Batman movie ever), then War of the Worlds (even if Tom Cruise has been making a horse's patoot out of himself lately).

But when all is said and done, when they tally up the BO at the end of the summer, I'm pretty sure that ROTS will be the champ. Batman Begins and War of the Worlds will perform quite well, but right now, I don't see either of them breaking $300 million. I could easily see around $250 million for each of them, but not $300 million.

I just wonder how the numbers for this summer will compare to last summer...every week so far, the articles I've been reading have been pointing out that while the numbers look great, this year is still lagging significantly behind last year. 5% or something like that. Is it that Americans have lost interest in going to the movies in general, except for big event movies like ROTS? Or has movie-going gotten expensive enough that Americans are being more selective about which ones they go to? Or is it that in general, Hollywood is churning out crap and people won't shell out hard-earned money on crap just for the sake of going to the movies? Probably a combination of all of the above.

JMK
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:59:52 AM
RotS will definetly end the year at #1. War of the Worlds and Batman will detract from the each other's B.O. pull at least somewhat, especially for repeat viewings.

Rutabaga
Jun 5th, 2005, 11:32:41 AM
Numbers are in:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2005&wknd=22&p=.htm

Not bad, not bad at all...ROTS did slip to #3, but I suppose that could change when final numbers are in, because only $100,000 separates it and TLY.

Now, the really fine news is...check out the daily breakdown for ROTS. If estimates hold up, it broke $300 million yesterday. :)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/fastest.htm?page=300&p=.htm

I agree that Batman Begins and WOTW might cancel each other out to some extent. Plus Ebert and Roeper both put an empahsis on how dark Batman Begins is, and we all have first-hand experience with how unpredictable dark movies can be at the BO. I personally prefer dark movies, but not everyone does.

I just hope WOTW doesn't turn out to be another The Day After Tomorrow. I finally saw The Day After Tomorrow on DVD a few months ago, and it was horrible. Great visual effects, but a terrible script >_< .

Dutchy
Jun 5th, 2005, 11:56:39 AM
$300,705,000 on its 17th day. Guess we'll actually have to wait for the final numbers if it really beat it on Saturday. Actually, I'm sure it did. :)

Cool!

Dutchy
Jun 5th, 2005, 11:58:21 AM
Wow, just 17 days to make $300 million bucks. That's fast. :)

jjwr
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:32:59 PM
Not bad! Taking its early success into account I was figuring on it passing on Friday but hitting the mark on Saturday is still great!

Almost a 53% drop though...ouch!

Rutabaga
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:36:52 PM
Lots and lots of movies would kill to make $26 million on their third weekend, let alone on their opening weekend :D. So while a 53% drop is ouchie, overall, the movie is still doing amazingly well. The theater I saw it in today was the same one as last weekend...last weekend it was about 85-90% full, today it was somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 full. Not bad at all :).

Just...I've really started to loathe the Fantastic 4 trailer. That movie looks pretty bad :(.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2005, 04:15:35 PM
The movie did very well, I think it will pass TLY for the weekend and finish 2nd as Universal loves overestimated it (they were like 3 million off last weekend). I saw it today and it was almost a packed house so it is still doing well, only needs 81 million to make 400, I think it will be close. As for if anything else can pass it. Domestically I think Narnia is the only thing but even that I can't see it doing it. Now world wide is a different story, Narnia, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and King Kong all have the potetial to make more. Still it will finish #1 in the U.S and probably top 3 WW.

JMK
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:17:23 PM
I saw it today with a friend, the theater was only about 1/4 full, maybe even less than that. But it gets better with each viewing. I also just finished watching RotJ. Not a bad day at all. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:22:47 PM
Same here I think it gets better everytime I see it.

Rutabaga
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:29:18 PM
I too feel it gets better with each viewing, no doubt about it. :)

Jedieb
Jun 5th, 2005, 08:38:06 PM
I saw it on Friday again with my son, 6 for me, 4 for him. I figure we'll probably get at least one more viewing in before it leaves theaters. I've still got a free children's ticket from the SW LEGO game that I haven't used. We have a blast everytime we go.

I was really surprised to see ROTS slip behind MAD and TLY. When it fended them off last week I thought that pretty much guaranteed it would stay number #1 for another week. Not a good sign for "incredible" legs, but it's not the end of the world. $400M is still within reach.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:04:15 PM
I bet it finishes second and passes TheLongest Yard

JMK
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:53:57 AM
Unofficial numbers have it in third, but only 600,000 behind TLY. That may change but I doubt it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:29:53 AM
Well I say that because TLY got overestimated by about 3 million last weekend, I wouldn't be shocked to see it get overestimated again by a lot.

Dutchy
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:47:35 PM
1. Madagascar $28,110,235
2. The Longest Yard $26,078,156
3. Revenge of the Sith $25,088,336

So RotS stays at #3 and even loses a million in offical numbers.

It did officially beat the fastest to $300M record, though. It was at $300.3M on Saturday, its 17th day of release. 1 day faster than Shrek 2.

Jedieb
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:30:53 PM
It's looking like it may not beat Shrek's overall gross though. I don't really care that much about fastest marks. Legs are more important. Great numbers so far, but I think $400M is going to take awhile if it ever reaches it.

Jedieb
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:35:54 PM
At this point in AOTC's run it was $68M away from $300M and $70M from it's first run total (sans IMAX numbers.) You figure that ROTS has at least $70M left in the tank. It needs $almost $93M to hit $400M. I think it will mirror AOTC's march to $300M and barely make it. Not as high as many of us had initially hoped, but a bit better than many of our pre opening day guesses.

Rutabaga
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:40:08 PM
I do have to say that I'm glad that the record being set on Saturday stayed in place, even though the actuals were a little lower than the estimates. Take that, Shrek 2 :p.

What's interesting to realize, though, is that Madagascar is actually in more theaters than ROTS is, so the per-screen average for ROTS was actually a little higher than it was for Madagascar. Plus, there's the whole running time thing again...Madagascar is shorter and therefore has an opportunity for more showings.

Eh, but, whatever. ROTS is still doing great, and nobody has anything to be ashamed of or disappointed by.

I wonder how Mr. and Mrs. Smith will do...I'm picturing solid, but not spectacular ($50 million, maybe????).

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:11:00 PM
and heck it is doing great overseas it has already made over 300 and hasn't debuted in Japan yet, should make 500 overseas which is great.

Dutchy
Jun 8th, 2005, 04:06:49 PM
17. Revenge of the Sith $312,659,891
18. Attack of the Clones $310,676,740

RotS caught up with AotC yesterday.

jjwr
Jun 11th, 2005, 06:03:34 PM
Its moving its way up, only 3.8M on Friday though which puts it in 4th place and on course for aw eekend right around 12-14M. It will still be in theatre's for a while so it has a shot at 400M but the way its dropping it won't be easy or any time soon.

Rutabaga
Jun 12th, 2005, 12:06:30 PM
#3 for the weekend, with an estimated $14.85 million. Not all that bad, actually. ROTS also passed The Lion King and Forrest Gump to become #13 on the all-time list, with an estimated $332 million cumulative total. It should pass Finding Nemo and The Two Towers by the end of next weekend to be poised to enter the Top Ten list :). I shall be contributing another $6 to the pot here in about an hour.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith got an estimated $51 million for the weekend. As I'd figured, very solid but not spectacular. I would imagine that's the best opening for any Pitt or Jolie movie, though. How much of it was the hype over their off-screen relationship, I suppose we may never know.

Next up, Batman Begins. Wednesday opening, maybe $60-70 million for the Friday-Sunday period? It's also Father's Day weekend, don't know if that will have any impact at all.

jjwr
Jun 12th, 2005, 12:16:14 PM
Definetly did better for the weekend than its Friday #'s would have led one to believe, even kept the #3 spot. Also had the 3rd highest average per theatre, even better than Madagascar.

Rutabaga
Jun 12th, 2005, 04:20:52 PM
Well, just got back from viewing #4...I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the crowd this afternoon. I knew our theater was down to one screen, and I expected to get sent to the smaller theater I'd seen ROTS in the last 2 weekends. Instead, I was sent to one of the 2 larger theaters in front, and by the time the movie started, it was easily half full, somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3 full. And I even heard a couple of people around me sniffling towards the end :).

And this movie just keeps getting better and better, not to mention deeper, with each viewing. What a great experience this has been :).

Rutabaga
Jun 12th, 2005, 08:21:19 PM
Here's an interesting chart from Box Office Mojo:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/trilogy.htm

Episodes I-III and IV-VI are the two top-grossing trilogies of all time. What I find especially interesting is that BOM is projecting that ROTS's final gross will be in the neighborhood of $380 million.

jjwr
Jun 12th, 2005, 09:01:58 PM
Very interesting, and I can see 380M as it will still be around for a while.

2 Series will make a huge run at the #1 spot, Spiderman & Shrek. Spidey 1 & 2 are in the 780 range and only need #3 to hit 340 for the top spot. Shrek, hard to say after what #2 did.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2005, 09:16:44 PM
Good solid numbers, I would say 380 seems very likely maybe a little more or a little less.

Jedieb
Jun 19th, 2005, 06:02:41 PM
I'm heading tonight for a Father's Day showing with the boy. ROTS is looking at a 4th place finish with 9.7M for the weekend. Two things are probably going to keep it from $400M, Madagascar and the DVD effect. I think Mad has been pulling away kid viewings and the box office is still reeling. I read somewhere today that this is the worst slump since 85. Next week should see the first non-million dollar days. Surprisingly, ROTS has already had some below AOTC grosses in its head to head match up. Again, I blame the B.O. slump and the other child releases for that.

CMJ
Jun 19th, 2005, 06:14:14 PM
That seems kind of high...let's see what the final numbers say tommorrow. If it IS true, then I can see a gross north of 385M.

jjwr
Jun 19th, 2005, 06:45:38 PM
Very solid gross for the weekend, and if current #'s hold it also has the lowest drop in the top 10 which bodes well for it hanging on for a 380+ Gross.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2005, 09:42:17 PM
The only way it gets to 400 is if they do an Imax thing later in the year. They said they won't but I wouldn't be shocked to see them change their mind.

jjwr
Jun 20th, 2005, 06:36:58 AM
Even then it will be a stretch, it should crawl into the 380-384 range, anything more than that will be a bonus.

JMK
Jun 20th, 2005, 07:34:33 AM
Well we were predicting long ago that RotS would pull in a little less than expected because of the PG-13 rating. $340M+ isn't a woeful haul by any stretch but I think the B.O. slump, the rating, and competition have taken a big enough bite out of RotS that it will fall short of $400M.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2005, 07:43:58 AM
Well I am still hoping for an IMAX release I think it would pull it another 10-15 from that so if it gets to 385 from regular theaters it could make it to 400 but only if it gets an IMAX release.

jjwr
Jun 20th, 2005, 09:20:57 AM
It also depends on how long Lucas keeps it out there, it will get a small bump on the July 4th weekend and if it can keep up decently daily grosses during the summer it could creep into range.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 20th, 2005, 02:25:58 PM
We got posters from our movie theatre yesterday - Dath Vader and the text:

Who's Your Daddy?
Fathers Day 2005

They're pretty cool. :p

jjwr
Jun 20th, 2005, 04:55:49 PM
I got one of those as well, its great!

Jedieb
Jun 20th, 2005, 07:54:24 PM
Took my son to see it again last night. Perfect end to Father's Day. It was a late showing, but he was up for it. We got our posters as well, even picked up a few extras after the show. I love watching it with him. It never gets old for him.

Rutabaga
Jun 20th, 2005, 08:29:39 PM
Seeing that the BO numbers were underestimated by a million dollars was great news indeed. I still don't think $400 million is reachable, but it will be close, very close.

I spent Father's Day with my dad seeing Batman Begins...I tried to get him to see ROTS since he's always been a Vader fan, but he just doesn't want to see it, I tried, but such is life :\ . But we both liked Batman Begins, so it was a good day :).

I saw lots of people walking around my theater with the Who's Your Daddy? posters, which was a nice sight to see. And somebody did pick one up for me, so I didn't miss out on it after all :).

CMJ
Jun 20th, 2005, 08:32:23 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
Seeing that the BO numbers were underestimated by a million dollars was great news indeed. I still don't think $400 million is reachable, but it will be close, very close.

Actually it was 300 thousand, not a million. ;)

I'm thinking a final gross between 385M-390M at the moment. That's better than my pre-release prediction of 370 though. :)

Rutabaga
Jun 20th, 2005, 08:46:34 PM
Oops, my mistake, I must've been looking at *gasp* Madagascar's number, which was $10.7 million. I'm really overdue to have my eyes checked o_O.

Still good to see the underestimated number, though :).

jjwr
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:51:34 AM
Final numbers came out very well! Ended up in 4th only $700,000 behind Madagascar and had the lowest drop in the top with a mere 32.4% and also had the 3rd highest average of the top 10.

Considering Batman opened and took away a lot of core business thats a very decent hold for week number 5.

Dutchy
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:20:33 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
I'm thinking a final gross between 385M-390M at the moment.

I'm thinking more 375M-380M.

CMJ
Jun 26th, 2005, 02:25:25 PM
I'm using Spider-Man 2 as my point of reference. After it's 6th weekend if was at 354.5M with a weekend take of 5.43M. ROTS is at 358.61M and had a estimated 6.25M weekend. SM2 ended with 373M, so I think that 377M is the floor because both movies have had similar-type legs. It's also slightly increasing its lead every weekend though, so I believe 380M is assured.

Rutabaga
Jun 26th, 2005, 04:16:23 PM
Fifth viewing today, and there was a really decent-sized crowd for it being the 6th weekend of release. People applauded at the end, and one poor little kid seemed to be a little frightened and crying after the charbroiled Anakin scene. It didn't last long, though :).

Nice extra bonus--I'd missed the "Who's Your Daddy?" poster last weekend since I went to see Batman Begins, but they still had a stack of them at the box office today, and the girl at the window handed me one along with my ticket and my change without my even having to ask for it :).

Rutabaga
Jun 26th, 2005, 05:18:50 PM
Oh, and ROTS passed Jurassic Park today to become the #10 movie of all time :). If estimates hold and the final gross is around $380 million, then it should end up at #7 on the list. Not too shabby, not shabby at all :).

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2005, 09:17:28 PM
I think it will make 380 at least. It might just crawl past that mark but I think it will do that.

JediMaster Orin Di'Freeze
Jul 12th, 2005, 04:43:54 PM
i may go see it again to make sure.

jjwr
Jul 27th, 2005, 09:40:05 AM
Just 1 Million away from Return of the Kings total and its final resting place at #7 all time. It would have been nice to top 400 Million and catch Spiderman but no way that happens now.

By this time next weekend it should have passed RotK

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 27th, 2005, 10:43:47 AM
Yeah 380ish is about as far as it can get, unless Lucas does an imax thing, which looks unlikely right now.

JMK
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:58:05 AM
That's about it for RotS. It had a very strong start, but slowed down a little faster than we had hoped. Still, #7 of all time ain't bad for a movie that everyone knew the ending to!

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 27th, 2005, 03:47:44 PM
Exactly also it is still making money overseas. it is at 440 right now, probably will get to 500 after its through in Japan. So about 880 total that sure isn't bad.

Jedieb
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:14:30 PM
It's still tracking close to AOTC, so it's going to make its way to $380 during its 15th or 16th week.

jjwr
Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:12:38 AM
It overtook Return of the King this past weekend. At this point anything more it can get is cake. It would be nice to have a higher adjusted gross than ROTK the but I don't see that happening.

JMK
Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:33:21 AM
No, not at this point, it's basically in it's last stages now. It may crawl to a bit past 380 but that's about it.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:08:15 AM
I think 383 at the most. Really the only to watch is the WW gross, last I checked it was a little over 800 and still going strong in Japan, I think it might reach 500 overseas and make about 880 something WW.