PDA

View Full Version : Box office contest rules and such

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 15th, 2005, 09:59:02 PM
Okay going to start a thread about this as I am thinking of starting the contest the last weekend of April here are the basic rules at the moment. We are going back to the old rules as we decided last years way was too complicated for people predicting and for those who had to figure out the winners heh.

Okay it is time for the fun to begin, the contest begins this weekend so if anybody wants to play here is your chance. You have until 9am Saturday to get your numbers in. Here are the rules if you need reminding

Period of contest: 20th of April - Labor Day

1. How to play: Each weekend, predict the order of the top 5 movies, and how much each film will make. To make sure people don’t make the same predictions, post your dollar figures to the nearest ten thousand, for example "25.58M" (25 million 580 thousand).

2. Movie Order Points: For every film you place in the correct order, you get 5 points. If you get #1- 5 right, you would get 25 points.

3. Accuracy Points: The closest person to each of the five films also gets points, and they are as follows;

# 1 - 25 pts
# 2 - 20 pts
# 3 - 15 pts
# 4 - 10 pts
# 5 - 5 pts

This year you don't have to get the movies in order. If you are closest to the #2 movie and picked it third you still get the points.

4. Double Points Weekends. Points are doubled on the following weekends:
* Memorial Day May 27 - May 30 All points are doubled.
* 4th of July 1-4 All points are doubled.
* Labor day weekend 2 Sept- 5 sept
* Star Wars weekend 19 May-22 May All points are doubled.

5. "The Price is Right" - bonus for extreme accuracy. If someone guess a movie correct down to the nearest 10-thousandth, the contestant will be awarded with 50 extra points, in addition to the points he won that weekend. Example: If a movie makes 25.343M and you predict 25.34M, you will win the bonus.

6. Deadline: All predictions must be in by saturday 9 am EST every weekend. On double points weekends, special deadline will apply. Please make sure your predictions are in before the deadline, however, we may look the other way if the estimates are not yet made public and/or it is obvious such results have not been seen.

7. Who can play? Everyone. It is fun! You may enter or exit the contest at any time or post predictions whenever you like, as long it is within the deadline. Of course, be aware maximum participation increases your chances of a high score at the final tally, so it is recommended to participate as often as possible (it makes your predicting look smarter! ).

8. The winner: The player with the most points at the end of contest, wins instant fame and glory (being worshipped by the all the BO forum posters) AND a prize!

Also I am up for any suggestions in rule changes and is that enough double points weekends? Other than Star Wars the only other big movies this summer are WOTW (but that is the 4th) and Batman. But I am not sure about doing one for Batman. Any thoughts?

Nathanial K'cansce
Apr 16th, 2005, 02:23:13 PM
Hmm, I might actually try this out. Not sure how good I'll be, but I have nothing to lose. :)

CMJ
Apr 16th, 2005, 08:58:52 PM
It's usually a good time. And Yoghurt usually wins. :p

Nathanial K'cansce
Apr 17th, 2005, 12:52:06 AM
He usually wins everything :p

Yog
Apr 17th, 2005, 07:36:04 AM
Looking good, Jedi Master Carr.

As for winning, I am far from invincible. If I remember correctly, I had a mediocre start on all the contests, but it was points over time that won for me in the end. Consistancy is key :)

Hopefully, as many people will participate as possible. Its more fun and competitive when many play. Also, this will be a particulary exciting summer because of episode 3..

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:32:36 PM
Hopefully we will have more people that last summer. The contest is fun even though Yoghurt has been winning ever year except one :p

Jedieb
Apr 18th, 2005, 06:24:23 PM
I WILL BATTLE THE SATAN WORSHIPPER!!! YOU WILL NOT BEAR THE FRUITS OF THE EVIL ONE'S DARK POWER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:duel

Yog
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:47:39 AM
I'm looking forward to this battle. In time you will call *me* master :evil

:: cackles like Palpatine ::

Jedieb
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:33:49 AM
"I'LL NEVER JOIN YOU!!!!!!!"
:duel

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:43:45 AM
Heh this should be interesting.