PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: Streamlining the forums

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 12th, 2005, 06:36:42 PM
I need everyone's input on this one as I see it as a group effort to better the Imperial forums.

The merger is getting closer, and as such a few things are going to need to be changed layout-wise. Here is the list that Silus and I were working on:

New and existing Members

Recruitment - Interested in joining the Empire?
The Bar - An Imperial Bar - rename?
Biographies & Rosters - Biographies of Imperial officers - rename: Imperial Holonet
Research and Development - Here you will build customized weaponry: Blasters, personal shielding, ships, and other electronic equipment. - rename - make it a forum for making business transactions on neutral ground

Public Relations – For general questions regarding the Empire and its’ factions, post your queries here.
Officer’s Lounge – A place for officers, soldiers, and drifters alike to share drinks and war stories.
Imperial Holonet – For all your Imperial news needs.
Imperial Trade Network – Neutral ground for making business transactions.

Warlord Groups

The Imperial Federacy - Get Description
The Imperial Sovereignty - A region of unparalleled wealth and sophistication, the Imperial Sovereignty is among the last true vestiges of the Empire. Every man and woman therein fosters the hope that one day they shall live the united Imperial Banner once more.
The Balmorran Empire - The largest of the splinter groups, the Balmorran Empire is closest to the Core Worlds in location and ruled by Emperor Tyrel Kiterix. Off-Site Link.

Alliances and Pacts - kill kill kill - section and forum- send to holonet

Imperial Treaties - Here is an archive of all the Peace Treaties which have been signed between the Empire, and other groups.

High Ranking Members of the Empire

Strategic Command - How will we crush our enemies when the time comes for battle?
Reserve Armada HQ - Headquarters of the Reserve Armada, which is composed of 1st Flotilla, and 2nd Flotilla.
Delteon Sector - The sector that contains Delteon, Agamar, Wor Tandell, Lorah'l, Dantooine and Quintooine.
Thyferra Sector - The sector that contains Taliman, Tierfon, Raithal, Fatasshi, Bimmisaari, Ruuria, Yngar, Kade, Carida, Ithor and Thyferra.
Coruscant Sector - The sector that contains Imperial Center, Balmorra and Borleias.
Guild Sector - The sector that contains Kyrin, Kyrin V, Kyrinos, Keldarik, Orinoco, Orinoco V, Nashua, Imation, TDK, Omar Prime, L’heval, Shivik, Benai, Rivendel, Fri’l, Stel’k.
Bastion Sector - The sector consisting of Bastion, Yaga Minor, Brita-Kajaaro, Kamaar, Yuuniti, Residia, Sorini, Gavingian and Ganath III.
Colonies Sector - The sector that contains Circarpous 1, Obroa-Skai, Wayland, Hoth, Duros, Surreal, Gallinore, Naboo, Gyndine, Tynna, Rhommamool, Osarian, Phaeda, the Unknown Regions Asteroid belt and Maw Installation.

Archive threads - kill all - save enough forums for restricted Archives, and maybe officers lounge

The Vault - Where even more secret stuff is hidden.

War Games and Simulations - Hone your skills in preparation for battling the Galactic Empire's enemies.

Imperial Archives Section

Imperial Archives - Once our actions are performed, we must archive them as proof that they actually were performed.

This is not a static list, so if you see something that scares you or you don't like, not to worry. This isn't anything set in stone.

It's the section in blue that I want to concentrate on the most, since that's the big big thing that needs to be worked on. My original idea was to simply merge the Sov into the Thyferran Sector Fleet and the Feds into the Delteon Sector Fleet, but after talking with Visc, he doesn't wish to clutter up the Sector Fleet forums with anything but rosters and whatnot.

So I need everyone's opinions and thoughts and comments to make this work to the majority's liking. We need to take care of how we're going to smooth out and shift the 'Warlord Groups' back into the Empire proper.

Darth Viscera
Apr 12th, 2005, 06:56:18 PM
The Bar should be renamed The Golden Cuspidor!

R&D-Business transactions don't sound very intimidating, unless it was like SOMEWHAT ILL FATED BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS OF DOOM or something.

Public Relations-Public Relations? Grand Moff Tarkin had a public relations branch. It was sometimes referred to as the "Sphere o'Fear"

Officer's Lounge-Redundant! This is what The Golden Cuspidor is for! There can't be two golden cuspidors!

Imperial what network?!

Bette Davis
Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:44:37 PM
Suggestion:

Recruitment -
The Bar -
Biographies & Rosters
Shadow Squadron Command

Strategic Command - private
Reserve Armada HQ -
Delteon Sector - .
Thyferra Sector -
Coruscant Sector -
Guild Sector -
Bastion Sector -
Colonies Sector -

Achive = all previous pre-reset threads still lying around here

Tear
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:34:41 PM
would all those sectors have their own little section to post in? If so i think thats a little redundent:huh

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:45:47 PM
Yeah I was wondering that too. I don't see them getting much use (mostly because of the lack of bean counting).

Probably only need an Imp. Navy forum, poss. a ground troops forum, a political one and one for Fighter pilots (shadow squadron).

And a forum to kick back in OOC.

Darth Viscera
Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:47:30 PM
It's a holdover from back in 2001-2002 or so when we had like 70 planets and 3000 ships and had to divide them into sectors and sector fleets and assign someone to that sector's defense in order to facilitate easier manipulation of assets. The sector chief and the sector vice chief just had to watch over their own little territories, like mega-moffs. We were anticipating that the Republic, the Jedi, the Sith Empire and Gue's ship would all declare war on us simultaneously, and we'd need to be able to see what we had where quick in order to beat them.

Garth Carvey
Jun 5th, 2005, 01:09:33 PM
The Galactic Empire

-Imperial Outpost - Public
--Recruitment Center (Applications)
--Academy (IC Training)
--Bar (IC Off Duty)
--The Barracks (OOC)

-Imperial Holonet - Public
--Personnel Network (Biographies, Rosters, and Fleet Listings)
--Commodities Network (Declassified R&D, Transactions, and Production)
--Achive Database (All previous pre-reset threads)

-Imperial Command - Private
--Strategic Command (IC/OCC Planning)
--The Lab (Classified R&D)

It's pretty simple. Sector boards can be added but with the current number of member in the Empire running them effectively seems unlikely. I don't think Shadow Squadron requires it's own forum as it only consists of 12 or so members.

The Imperial Command section would be Imperial personnel only, any Shadow Squadron or Sector related topics would fit in Strategic Command.

The only thing which could probably be changed in the format above could be the names for 'The Lab', 'The Bar', and 'The Barracks'.

Another item which could be changed is the side bar's Imperial Resource section. Remove or update the items listed and add a section for Imperial Related Links which would lead to sites on the web which offer knowledge about the Empire, such as the Imperial Navy Ship Database (http://insd.swcombine.com/insd.htm), and The Force.net Technical Commentaries (http://theforce.net/swtc/index.html) .

That should help streamline/update the Imperial Boards greatly. Public Relations/Treaties/News would probably be better if posted in the RP Planning Discussion Forum's Propaganda and News Sub-Forum. They could be hammered out in a roleplaying forum.

[/Travis North]

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:39:37 PM
I like that layout, Travis. It's very concise and utilitarian :) Also, the idea for the reference links is great.

As for renaming the aforementioned forums, I think 'The Barracks' is fine. Maybe make the 'bar' into 'The Officer's Lounge' or 'Cradle of the Empire Bar'? birthplace of the now infamous Palpatine Puncher ;)

The Lab could probably be something like what Khendon used to have with UIT (United Imperial Technologies). Heck, if Khendon so desired, we might be able to call the classified research that.

I'm not too sure about the need for the sector boards at this time though, so we might just archive those if we want to go that route. I'm still undecided on a Shadow Squadron forum, but really, it's up to you guys if you want it or not.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:20:06 PM
Either our own forum, or we'll just clutter up all the other forums. ;)

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:25:08 PM
damn right. Expect much insanity being dragged into all the forums when the SS is drunk :D

Travis North
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:46:44 PM
I don't see the need for it. The Barracks, the Bar, and Strategic Command not good enough. I can't see anything being posted in a Shadow Squadron forum which couldn't be posted in any of the above.

But if you only going to use it as a private forum for yourselves why not to post misc stuff why not.

Karl Valten
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:26:05 PM
Giving SS their own forums would pretty much give the same results as giving the Inquisitoriate their own forums. It's unnecessary, there are too few members, and if anyone needs to post something important IC or OOC, we just put it in one of there other threads.

So what if there are 14 members in the group. We're all Imperial, there's nothing to hide from each other. The point is moot.

Bette Davis
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:28:17 PM
Uh, ok.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:57:15 PM
I'm fine with using the UIT name ;) It'll make it feel more like home.

Bette Davis
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:01:41 PM
Oh, in case there was confusion, Shadow Squadron is not requesting a private forum, so there will be no 'hiding' of things from the other Imperials.

EDIT: Except cookies. We'll be hiding our cookies.

Travis North
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:04:42 PM
In that case...

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:17:37 PM
I do see an SS forum as beneficial, and Teleran's mention of an Inquisitoriate forum - regardless of the analogy mentioned - would be interesting to see, too.

This is just to illustrate:

The Inquisitoriate
Office of the Grand Inquisitor
Conference Room
Interrogation

Shadow Squadron
The Hangar Bay
Mess Hall
Crew Quarters

Now, there's nothing to stop us from expanding if we have to; and ultimately that's really what we want to do. The more people recruit, the more people join up and pick which part of the Empire they wish to be a part of.

Teleran Balades
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:26:18 PM
Originally posted by Bette Davis
Oh, in case there was confusion, Shadow Squadron is not requesting a private forum, so there will be no 'hiding' of things from the other Imperials.

Ah, sorry about that. I didn't mean to sound crass, I just have the tact of a drunk elephant.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:30:48 PM
Originally posted by Teleran Balades
I just have the tact of a drunk elephant.

I smell a new CT :mischief

Travis North
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:35:36 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
I smell a new CT :mischief
*Has waited for these words to be said*

Teleran Balades
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:50:27 PM
Oh God, I walked into that one.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 6th, 2005, 09:15:56 PM
Sometimes I feel like brilliance crapped inside my head :D

Karl Valten
Jun 6th, 2005, 09:17:40 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the heck you to to my CT?????

Adia Issoris
Jun 6th, 2005, 09:26:13 PM
I speak from experince. Less forums = better than. Certain people have a tendency to only check certain forums, and the less you have the more likely everyone is to be on the same page.

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Jun 6th, 2005, 09:55:33 PM
Agree with she who can kill me with a thought.

But, on another note.. who wants to try my chicken?

:: points to avatar ::

James Prent
Jun 6th, 2005, 09:56:53 PM
s'Il - we only wanted 1 (one) forum, not one set of forums. :)

Tear
Jun 7th, 2005, 12:02:06 AM
Bleep! My own Office. Rock on ladys.:crack

Khendon Sevon
Jun 7th, 2005, 12:12:41 PM
Originally posted by Adia Issoris
Certain people have a tendency to only check certain forums.

i.e. me :) But this will be uber organized, which can be good, especially when searching.

Also means you don't have to sift through roll calls for the Inquisitors while searching for SS. We still also have the general military forums for overall communication.

Bette Davis
Jun 7th, 2005, 04:49:45 PM
I would think one forum each would be sufficient. If we wanted to jabber OOC in it we'd just mark the thread with a [OOC] tag in the title.

As far as the people who say "they only have 14 members" may i respectfully remind them that it only takes 5 separate RPers to qualify as a group, so I think asking for one forum isn't too much of a stretch.

The Galactic Empire

-Imperial Outpost - Public
--Recruitment Center (Applications)
--Academy (IC Training)
--Bar (IC Off Duty)
--The Hangar Bay (IC and OOC Shadow Squadron [private forum things would go into Strat Comm])
--The Inquisitoriate (IC)
--The Barracks (OOC)

-Imperial Holonet - Public
--Personnel Network (Biographies, Rosters, and Fleet Listings)
--Commodities Network (Declassified R&D, Transactions, and Production)
--Achive Database (All previous pre-reset threads)

-Imperial Command - Private
--Strategic Command (IC/OCC Planning)
--The Lab (Classified R&D)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 13th, 2005, 05:48:27 PM
^If no one has any objections to this layout, I'll begin my PM to Ogre.

Travis North
Jun 13th, 2005, 07:18:00 PM
Looks good.

Danik Drayton
Jun 15th, 2005, 02:33:09 PM
Seems to be a good idea, there will be alot less clutter by the looks of it which naturally can only be a good thing.

Bette Davis
Jun 20th, 2005, 11:53:46 AM
looks great, so let's do it. :)

Tear
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:53:10 PM
Is this gonna happen soon because id like to start organizing stuff with the Inquisitors and Intelligence but ive been holding off because of the revamp...

so...:crack