PDA

View Full Version : Ranking up (Council, Kyle)

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:36:56 PM
Wei Wu Wei stood in front of the Council, making last minute preparations in his head. It had been a long while since he last stood in the middle of the room with his peers eyes watching him.

"I don't think I've had to view the council like this since I was a Padawan getting my promotion," he thought to himself.

Once he was sure the council was settled in, he began. "Fellow members of the Council, I stand in front of you today on behalf of one of my Padawans. His name is Kyle Krogen. He is a remarkable student, quickly learning codes of conduct as well as Force techniques. Over time he has impressed me with his sharp skills and his compassionate heart. After watching his progress as a Padawan I feel that now would be a good time for him to begin his progress as a Jedi knight."

Wei waited for any sign of preliminary discussion of his Padawan's track record before bringing in the student himself.

Rognan Dar
Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:09:46 AM
Rognan listened to Wei's proposal with great interst. When he was finished, Rog nodded his head contemplatently. Kyle was, indeed, a good padawan. His skills were nothing to be over looked. Rognan has had many chances to see them first hand. He had fought along side Kyle and has seen him grow in the Force. Such a request was that Wei was making was something to be expected.

"I have also seen this young one grow, Wei Wu Wei. You have dont well in raising him up and training him. The boy has skill, and the Force, there is no doubt there. But do you think he is ready to be given such a rank as Knight just yet? He is still quite young and has much to learn; but dont we all?"

Stopping there, he then looked to the rest of the council, to see what they thought before giving his final answer.

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Apr 4th, 2005, 03:40:14 AM
Jubei nodded in reply. “Even the wisest Master does not know all.” Turning his attention to the other Council members, he continued, “May we summon Padawan Krogen here?”

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 4th, 2005, 08:07:16 AM
Wei nodded. "He ought to be waiting outside the chamber as we speak. I'll go get him."

Wei turned and opened the door enough to poke his head out and look around for Kyle. "It's time, Kyle. Remember, no rush, and no pressure. You're going to do just fine in front of the council."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 4th, 2005, 08:32:30 PM
Navaria simply sat back in her chair with a curious look towards the Council Chamber doors in preparation to read the Padawan properly through the Force.

Kyle Krogen
Apr 4th, 2005, 09:41:09 PM
Kyle was nerviously waiting out in the hall when Wei stepped out. He fell into step behind Wei as they entered the Council Room. They stopped in the middle of the room, standing side by side. He stood tall and did his best to hide his nerviousness. This was the first time he had ever stood before the council.

Rognan Dar
Apr 4th, 2005, 10:45:06 PM
"Greetings, Kyle. Just relax. We are just going to talk, so think of it as if we were all talking else where."

It was clear to see, and to feel, that Kyle was nervous. Rog wanted this to be a easy process, trying to give Kyle reassurance that everything was going to be fine.

"Please tell me...what is it that you have learned from the Order that you think is the most important thing above all? What is it that you think all Jedi should be able to do, and be doing it?"

The question may have been a little harsh, right off the bat. But they were questions that would give Rognan a good insite as to what Kyle valued and felt.

Kyle Krogen
Apr 5th, 2005, 10:31:25 PM
"The Jedi are the defenders of the galaxy, the protectors of the weak. We solve all problems with kindness, mercy, and compasion. Rather then aggresion and a lightsabre. A Jedi knows no fear, only the force." Kyle had ment to say less but once he got started he couldn't stop.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 6th, 2005, 08:58:42 AM
Wei shifted his weight from one foot to the next and smiled. "Well, that answer is all well and good...if this were a Jedi beauty pageant. But be honest. How do we solve problems without a lightsabre?"

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 6th, 2005, 04:05:36 PM
"You have seen and done much Padawan Krogen. Perhaps you can answer that question by telling us of situations in which problems had to be solved by you and how you came to those conclusions."

Rognan Dar
Apr 6th, 2005, 06:22:27 PM
Rognan nodded his agreement to Navaria's request, and added a little more to his own quesiton.

"We are all taught what the Jedi are and should be doing. I was looking more to what you thought, not what you have been taught. You said 'Jedi' many times. This is about you, not every other Jedi here today."

Kyle Krogen
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:01:48 PM
Too many questions at once he thought as he listened to each one in turn and then thought over his answer. "One of the situations I have been in, when Wei and I confronted that monster when we went to help the people on that small outer rim planet. When the monster started attacking the people I decided I would protect them and drive off the monster without care as to what happened to myself. Wei and I managed to stopped the monsters attacks and it fled. I followed it in means to finish it off and I walked into it's ambush. We battled among the tree tops, a hundred feet off the ground. The force guided me to victory there. But there was not much choice to make to me. I had to protect those people and in protecting I had to stop that creature" He stoped and took in several breaths.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:05:03 PM
Wei nodded. "My Padawan also played with the villagers' children, keeping their minds away from the burdens of being ever-fearful of the beast."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 9th, 2005, 01:11:15 PM
She smiled at that, "Sometimes it doesn't require a weapon to help bring peace. But, I'm curious. You said you drove the monster away. How did you do this? You weren't specific."

Kyle Krogen
Apr 9th, 2005, 09:37:09 PM
"I went into the forest to confront to beast and try to reason with it, but it attack me before I could try and I managed to knock it out of the treetops and into the rushing water of a lagoon. There is a chance the beast survived, but there have been no more reports of attacks on the village."

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Apr 10th, 2005, 03:38:53 AM
Jubei had decided to play devils advocate, to further test the Padawans development. He sat forward and began his barrage of questions.

“You say this creature was a monster. Do you believe it was right to send the animal to its death simply because it acted as it was naturally born to do so? What of the potential repercussions its death could have on the forest ecosystem? If it is not dead, then is it not possible that it will return? Rather than eliminating it, would it not have been more beneficial to, for example, construct defenses for the village, or to help the village people become self-reliant in some other way?”

Kyle Krogen
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:48:35 PM
Kyle was caught off guard by the barrage of questions "I do not believe the creature originated on that planet. I sensed the darkside in it." Kyle said "The people of the village had near nothing and had not the supplies to create defences that would withstand the creature."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:08:39 AM
"To sense the Dark Side within a creature does not necessarily mean it did not belong on the planet. Do you have any further proof of your statement?"

Kyle Krogen
Apr 20th, 2005, 10:11:32 PM
"The local people where unfamiliar with the creature and a creature of that size would be easily noticed. The attacks only started a month or so before we arrived. I do not know how the creature got there but I strongly think that it did not originate there and the intelligence in which it thought and acted verged on near sentience" He paused "But I could be completely wrong in all my claims. Had I managed to retrieve the creature's body scientists may have been able to study it and clear up numerous things."

Rognan Dar
Apr 20th, 2005, 11:54:44 PM
"So they might. But we dont have the creature, so to think of such things is a waste of time. I find it hard to believe that this creature did not come from the planet if, indeed, it is not capable of moving around the galaxy on its own. It could have been pushed out farther then it normally was, which led it to the city, in which he acted as he has forever; animal instincts.

You stated that the Dark Side was within it. Do you presume that the creature was able to use the Force?"

Kyle Krogen
Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:38:17 PM
"Yes, the creatured used the force to throw me out of the trees in which we where fighting. It also spoke to me in clear basic which makes me classify the creature as sentient."

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 28th, 2005, 07:10:25 AM
"Interesting. I guess it didn't want to listen to you?" Wei asked.

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 28th, 2005, 02:27:36 PM
"Creature and monster. Not words to be said lightly." She looked to Wei, "Your Master brings up a good point and the fact that the being could speak basic changes things entirely. A fact that had been left out."

Kyle Krogen
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:58:50 PM
"The creature said little other then warnings and threats and I was too busy fighting for my life to communicate further with it..." Kyle paused, he had to let down his pride just to say what came next "...And I was too caught up in the fight to think about talking to it."

Navaria Tarkin
Apr 30th, 2005, 08:37:05 AM
The Knight nodded slightly, "And how does that make you feel?"

Kyle Krogen
Apr 30th, 2005, 09:14:07 PM
"It makes me feel like a failure. Having fought instead of trying to take a peaceful path. I'd like to say that I've changed since then but I am not all too sure of that. I love the thrill of the fight to the extent that it is the only action that I take. It is my largest flaw in life."

Jubei SaDherat Vader
May 1st, 2005, 06:48:09 AM
“The thrill of the fight,” Jubei mused. “You were unable to communicate, think rationally even, while embroiled in combat.” His brow furrowed and he looked to the other Council members, Wei in particular, expectantly.

Rognan Dar
May 1st, 2005, 09:37:49 AM
"Such a act is not unheard of. We say that we are keepers of the peace, and not soldier. Yet we do a lot involving combat. And maybe this is no just a flaw of a padawan, but of the whole Order.

Padawan, do you think you have learned a lesson from this? Do you now see how unrashonal thinking and impatience could lead you down a dangerous path?"

Wei Wu Wei
May 1st, 2005, 10:04:27 AM
Wei simply shrugged. At least his Padawan had been honest. Wei understood that it was hard to keep calm sometimes and that there were times when a person had to fight first and ask questions later. But he would wait for Kyle to answer Rognan's question before speaking up himself.

Kyle Krogen
May 2nd, 2005, 09:28:31 PM
"I do believe I have learned from it and have changed mildly in my ways. I believe it will take me many adventures and hardships before I completly grow out of it but as for now I believe myself different and more understanding then I had been during that adventure."

Wei Wu Wei
May 3rd, 2005, 07:32:38 AM
"Kyle, I must admit that getting carried away with a fight is not the best thing for a Jedi to be doing. However, there will be times when you will have to fight first, and ask questions later. If ever you find someone who isn't willing to listen and they want to fight you, defend yourself from them as best you can and wear them out, disarm them, but make it so they cannot fight. Then try talking to them again."

Wei looked over at his other council members. Wei was still convinced that Kyle should be promoted. Sure the kid had appeared to have made a few mistakes, but who didn't make mistakes? It seemed that Kyle had learned from them and had made the appropriate changes.

"What say ye about this Padawan, Council?"

Navaria Tarkin
May 4th, 2005, 04:21:23 PM
"I'm not sure if my mind is made up yet, Wei." Her lips pursed in thought while studying Kyle.

"The learning never stops for a Jedi. Even the wisest of Masters continue to seek meaning from the Force. I do believe your regret and understand that irrational thinking can begin to bring you down a troublesome path.

I worry about the time you say it may take to, as you say, grow out of this."

Kyle Krogen
May 6th, 2005, 11:35:17 PM
Kyle turned his eyes to look apon Navaria "I can promise nothing more then I will try my best to confront the flaws in my character and even then I cannot promise they will ever be ironed out. Only time will tell." He said before turning his eyes and look apon each of the council members that say before him.

Rognan Dar
May 6th, 2005, 11:50:54 PM
"Time is all any of us have to try and better ourselves and to learn all we can of the Force. But would giving you your freedom to go about as you wish be wish when you seem to be quick to action and slow to think?"

Kyle Krogen
May 10th, 2005, 09:37:02 PM
"I do not believe I can answer that question" Kyle said "I think that is for you to decide. I have already given my word that I would try to correct myself. I don't believe I can give you more then that."

Wei Wu Wei
May 11th, 2005, 07:32:00 AM
As Krogen's teacher, Wei felt it necessary to prescribe some sort of training or discipline.

"Tell you what, Kyle. With the Council's permission, I want to give you a special set of responsibilities. You are going to be what I call a 'big brother.' You must find a relatively new Padawan here at the order and show him the ropes. You'll be like a teacher to him or her, but you will only be helping this person review and practice Force skills they already know. You are not to teach any new material. Is that understood? Furthermore, it is up to you to help the Padawan adjust to life at the Order. That means helping them find a room if they need it and helping them to move in if they need help. Take them to eat at Yog's or just go cruise Coruscant with them. I'll also want some reports on how the two of you are doing every few days."

Wei pushed up his glasses. "In short, you are to be a role-model. Then when I think you've done well at this task, then I will consider bringing you before the council again to discuss your promotion. Is all this ok with you?"

Navaria Tarkin
May 11th, 2005, 04:10:23 PM
"Hmm, this is an interesting situation you have presented, Wei." Navaria's tone was approving. "Padawan Krogen. I believe this is a good test to assess your actions and if you have learned from your past mistakes.

I do wish to reiterate on one thing. We believe your sincerity and that you understand what mistakes you have made. To be conscious of our flaws is humbling and it was brave of you to admit them. That is not easy, but Wei has given you a chance to prove that you are ready for Knighthood. Do you agree?"

Kyle Krogen
May 11th, 2005, 09:17:15 PM
Kyle listened to Wei's proposal and then turned back to Navaria "I accept my Master's proposal. I am willing to help and work with a fellow padawan for as long as the council deems necessary." Kyle's face was emotionless but inside he felt like he was just about to finish a great journey and then fell down in a ditch. But he was determined to pick himself up and finished the journey to whatever ends.

Rognan Dar
May 11th, 2005, 11:16:15 PM
"Then it is decided. As the rest seem to agree, you will be put under this last 'test', if you will, to determine if you are worthy of being knighted. We will keep tabs on your progress and will call you back when we see that you are ready."

Wei Wu Wei
May 12th, 2005, 07:29:26 AM
"It's up to you to find someone to help. It is also up to you to find me and give me your reports."

Wei sighed. It hurt him badly to see his Padawan shot down for promotion. He knew it hurt Kyle because it told him he needed to try again. But it hurt Wei too, because it reflected on how well he did his job as a teacher.

Jubei SaDherat Vader
May 12th, 2005, 07:35:17 AM
“May the Force be with you in your task, Padawan Krogen.”

Kyle Krogen
May 12th, 2005, 09:38:57 PM
"Thank you for your time" Kyle said as he bowed to those before him. "And may the force be with you all, aswell" With that he turned and exited the council room, leaving Wei and the council alone.

Navaria Tarkin
May 15th, 2005, 02:57:11 PM
After Kyle left the Council Chambers, she spoke up to her former student, "I believe he will complete his task. I just hope his rash thinking settles down."

Wei Wu Wei
May 15th, 2005, 07:04:36 PM
Wei nodded. "I think so too. Out of all my Padawans, he is the one that has shown the greatest amount of motivation and willingness to accept criticism."

Then in a more private way, he asked his teacher Do you think we could get together and talk later? In a personal setting?

Navaria Tarkin
May 15th, 2005, 09:08:00 PM
She gave no visual sign of Wei's question, merely responded just as discretely. Of course. Whenever you wish.