PDA

View Full Version : Pope given last rites

JMK
Mar 31st, 2005, 03:47:17 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/03/31/pope1/index.html

Tough day today. Terry Schiavo is gone after 13 days without being fed, and now the Pope is about to go.

Anbira Hicchoru
Mar 31st, 2005, 04:14:41 PM
To be fair, he's been given the last sacrament before, back in 1981.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 31st, 2005, 04:29:12 PM
It's a sad day all around. :(

JMK
Mar 31st, 2005, 04:45:14 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
To be fair, he's been given the last sacrament before, back in 1981.

True, I always forget about his assassination attempt, or get the date confused with the attempt on Reagan's life.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 31st, 2005, 06:18:17 PM
Yeah Last rites are just given to those who are very very sick. He could still recover.

Jedieb
Mar 31st, 2005, 06:36:58 PM
Feel somewhat bad about the Pope, but not Schiavo. She's been gone for years now. Finally her body gets to be laid to rest. I keep putting off my will and there's simply no excuse for it. But I'll be damned if I'm going to go out that way. If I'm done, I'm done, no feeding tubes allowed.

Doc Milo
Apr 1st, 2005, 12:06:01 AM
A lot of people get confused with Last Rites. Mainly because of the name. That's a popular name, but it's not what the Catholic Church actually calls the sacrament. The sacrament is actually called the Annointing of the Sick, and is given to those who are very ill. They don't even have to be considered on their death beds to recieve it.

JediBoricua
Apr 1st, 2005, 08:45:00 AM
That's true, but the picture they showed yesterday where you can barely see his eyes looking out the window broke my heart.

Darth McBain
Apr 1st, 2005, 08:59:35 AM
You're right Doc. Still a shame that he's not doing too well.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2005, 09:36:55 AM
Things don't look good for him right now, he might be in his last hours the way CNN is talking. It is very sad, even if you disagree with some of his beliefs you have to admit he is a very good man and made a huge difference in the history of the world. I personally think he played a larger role in the end of Communism than Regean. It was he who worked with the poles to start solidarity which started the slide of Communism from Eastern Europe. It is doubtful we will get a pope as influential as he has been again for a long time.

Jedieb
Apr 1st, 2005, 12:24:32 PM
He forgave the man that shot him. That's more compassion that I'm capable of.

JMK
Apr 1st, 2005, 01:58:12 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/01/pope1/index.html

The Pope's condition is getting worse. Shallow breathing, and his organs are starting to get extremely weak. It seems only a matter of hours now before he's gone.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 1st, 2005, 04:04:37 PM
He's had a very busy life.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 1st, 2005, 05:40:39 PM
He was a great man and lived a great life, if he doesn't get into heaven nobody will. What is surprising to see is how many people are still in surounding St. Peter's in a vigil as we speak at 1:30 AM Rome time. That alone shows the impact he has made.

Darth McBain
Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:08:32 PM
CNN has just reported that the Pope has died. He was a great Pope, a great man, a great humanitarian. I feel blessed to have been able to see him when I was in Rome. Even though when I saw him he was barely intelligible, you knew you were in the presence of greatness. I'm glad that his final illness wasn't too prolonged - hopefully he went peacefully.

My prayers are with him and the church.

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:23:53 PM
He went out the way he wanted to, he told the doctors he no longer wanted their care, that he wanted to be taken when it was his time. Gotta admire that. Great life the guy led.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:11:46 PM
Yeah he lived a great life. I saw him once when I was a kid during one of his visits to the U.S.

Rutabaga
Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:26:18 PM
I am Catholic, so today has been a very sad day for me indeed. :(

Shawn
Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:39:20 PM
Originally posted by JMK
He went out the way he wanted to, he told the doctors he no longer wanted their care, that he wanted to be taken when it was his time. Gotta admire that. Great life the guy led. I don't really want to start up a debate, but suffice it to say that I find this remark interesting in light of current events.

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:12:37 PM
Yeah you're right. I'm sure there's a great big debate there, but I don't think I want to get into it either.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:29:48 PM
Well there wasn't anything to do to prolong his life and it was his choice, which makes it slightly different I guess.

Doc Milo
Apr 4th, 2005, 06:43:57 AM
There is a difference, but I won't start that debate either.