PDA

View Full Version : oh god why did I buy this, I am not good at golf

Anbira Hicchoru
Mar 20th, 2005, 06:15:21 PM
I just bought a set of golf clubs (putter, sand wedge, pitching wedge, 3 woods, 7 irons) and a bag to carry them in.

I have no idea how to play golf. What do I do? :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 20th, 2005, 06:43:39 PM
Stand there while I laugh at you :D

Angelica Shin
Mar 20th, 2005, 07:59:24 PM
Learn.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 20th, 2005, 08:19:05 PM
I dunno man. I like disc golf, its a lot cheaper.

Anbira Hicchoru
Mar 20th, 2005, 09:00:36 PM
Well I did get these clubs for relatively cheap. Everything I got was for about $150 or so in total.

Contrast that with my dad's friend, who bought a single 7 iron club for SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS :eek

Anuis Ma'artra
Mar 20th, 2005, 09:01:51 PM
Grip it and rip it.

And when you lose all your balls, start drinking. I recommend a flask of Knob Creek or Maker's Mark and a cooler full of cold brew. Also when you finally lose your temper, aim your clubs away from trees before throwing.

That is my formula for success on the links.

Liam Jinn
Mar 20th, 2005, 09:05:36 PM
You should buy golf balls, first off, then watch Caddyshack over and over again, paying alot of attention to Chevy Chase. :) Or, after you've purchased said balls, you could just start whacking the hell outta 'em.

Disc golf....isn't that a stoners game? :p

Jared Mriad
Mar 20th, 2005, 09:29:31 PM
Aquire a nearby pick-up truck with a fearless driver and start taking out mailboxes. Or stalk and take revenge on that one boss, cashier, or whatnot.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 20th, 2005, 10:58:17 PM
Originally posted by Liam Jinn
You should buy golf balls, first off, then watch Caddyshack over and over again, paying alot of attention to Chevy Chase. :) Or, after you've purchased said balls, you could just start whacking the hell outta 'em.

Disc golf....isn't that a stoners game? :p Some stoners and aged hippies play it, but it's relaxing, the courses are free, and the discs are cheap.
Originally posted by Jared Mriad
Aquire a nearby pick-up truck with a fearless driver and start taking out mailboxes. Or stalk and take revenge on that one boss, cashier, or whatnot. There are enough jerks that attack mailboxes. No, it's not funny.

Lion El' Jonson
Mar 21st, 2005, 07:06:12 AM
Get out to the driving range. Schedule a couple of lessons with the resident Golf Professional. Ask him to teach you how to hit your irons, and maybe some chipping and putting. I didn't even bother with learning how to hit my woods for a few months, asides from the occasional "swing as hard as possible and pray" shots.

After that, get out on the driving range at least once-a-week, or so, and hit some balls. Stick with the higher irons (6,7,8,9), because you're going to have some real trouble getting loft with clubs like the 4 iron. (Incidentally, I know somebody that hits with a 1 iron. Yes, it's nearly flat). This summer, my swings got completely twisted, so I spent five hours hitting my Pitching Wedge, trying to straighten out my swing and watching people Tee Off. Also practice putting on a putting green, just trying to gauge proper speed and guessing which way the ball will break. If you're allowed to, practice chipping on this green; you might want to ask the Golf Pro to help you with chipping. I wouldn't worry about Sand Traps; just chuck your ball out if it ever lands in there. Sand shots are difficult, and demand a different technique, so they tend to mess up your other swings until you've got muscle memory.

Buy some golf-balls. I doubt you'll recognize any difference in performance betwen a Titleist Pro-V1 (15 bucks per sleeve) and any other golf ball, so I'd just buy the cheapest ones you can find. The only ones I'd stay away from are Top-Flite XL 2000's, which are (according to Tiger Woods) slightly less aerodynamic and slightly harder than the average rock. ^_^;

Find a friend to go play with, preferably one that knows the rules of the game fairly well. Don't let them give you too much advice, since that just tends to screw you up, but otherwise go out one day and play with them. Expect to lose quite a few golf balls. I'd suggest trying to find an 'Executive Course'; these are usually fairly short and are generally built so that Fat CEOs can smash the ball 30 yards at a time while they speak on their Mobile Phones. Some are 18-holes, some are 9-holes, some have Golf Carts, some don't.

And if you ever feel down, I'd suggest reading the "World-Case Scenario Book of Golf", in which it explains what to do if (for instance) a Thunder Storm broke out over the Golf Course, or if a Crocodile eats your golf ball. :lol

Don't worry about keeping score, just have fun. If this has all been a joke, then I'm a moron. If you don't like golf, you can always sell those golf clubs to somebody else. Mind you, I started playing Golf when I was 10, so I don't really remember everything I did. I sucked for a couple of years until a new course opened, with a really good golf pro. He has motion-capture equipment he uses to analyze my swing. I also attended a couple of weeklong Golf day-camps during the Summer.

In response to your dad's friend: $700 dollars?!?! O_o

I suppose I can't talk. I own a $300 dollar putter. ^_^;

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2005, 10:50:33 AM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
I just bought a set of golf clubs (putter, sand wedge, pitching wedge, 3 woods, 7 irons) and a bag to carry them in.

I have no idea how to play golf. What do I do? :(

Well, Charley, if you've got all this money and nothing to do with it, you might consider donating it to charity before spending it on silly things like golf clubs when you don't know how to play.

However, I'm assuming you want to learn how - so root out the nearest golf course and pay for lessons.

Jared Mriad
Mar 21st, 2005, 05:15:11 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
There are enough jerks that attack mailboxes. No, it's not funny.

No duh, sherlock. Lighten up.

AmazonBabe
Mar 21st, 2005, 08:17:11 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
Stand there while I laugh at you :D

I second the motion. :p

Seriously, though, was that a bit of imuplse buying or something you went through?? O_o

Figrin D'an
Mar 21st, 2005, 10:20:31 PM
Just give it some time, Charley. I didn't start playing until I was a sophomore in college, and I was pretty terrible at first. Now, I'm actually able to hold my own, and can break 100 if I have a decent round. It's a slow process, and there are so many subtle things in a golf swing that can alter it pretty dramatically.

The caveat is... as you get better, you'll realize that cheap clubs just won't cut it, and you'll want to spend the money on a good custom-fit set.

Anbira Hicchoru
Mar 25th, 2005, 06:05:38 PM
I am so very tired....sooo tired.

Also sunburnt.

I shot a 74!!!!!!

<font size=-3>...on the front nine!</font>

146 on all 18. So only about 75 strokes over par ;) I double bogeyed twice on a pair of par fours.

Things I now know:

1. The 1-Wood is the best thing you can use to totally lose your golf ball on a runaway slice into the wilderness.

2. If you suck, hitting the water hazard is probably the best thing you can ever do. Take the stroke penalty and follow up with your irons on the other side of the pond :D

3. Sometimes it works to shortcut on a dog-legged course and play through the rough. Sometimes this leads to spectacular failure however.

4. 7-iron + muddy terrain = mud in face

5. Chipping a shot that ricochets off your friend's golf cart and onto the green is the greatest thing ever.

Lion El' Jonson
Mar 25th, 2005, 09:33:17 PM
My, my, we have been busy, haven't we?

Savor these moments. By the time the game consumes you, smashing balls into the wilderness is no longer amusing, but rather inspires in you the urge to chuck your clubs into the wilderness as well.

And, from my first round ever:

5. Chipping a shot that ricochets off your friend and onto the green is the greatest thing ever.

:lol