View Full Version : Star Wars Saga to be re-released in 2007

JMK
Mar 18th, 2005, 10:20:14 AM
But in 3D!!!!!!

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Star_Wars_In_3D_90425.asp

How cool will that be? :rollin

Darth McBain
Mar 18th, 2005, 10:52:14 AM
Excellent!!! That's gonna be sweet. Now hopefully he'll resist the temptation to throw some extra changes in along with it...

JMK
Mar 18th, 2005, 10:54:32 AM
Are you kidding? Of course there will be changes!

On the other hand, by releasing the trilogies in 3D as they are are now, it leaves the door open for him to make changes to all the movies and re-release them again in 2010 for Empire's 30th anniversary! :lol

Loki Ahmrah
Mar 18th, 2005, 02:57:37 PM
Anything + 3D = tacky rehash, as far as I'm concerned. Re-releasing the whole saga as is in 2007 to celebrate it's 30th anniversary is perfectly fine. Why mess around with it and make it look tacky? Star Wars doesn't need to be in 3D to sell.

Darth McBain
Mar 18th, 2005, 05:34:04 PM
I don't think it needs to be "sold". It's already made so much and is so beloved by fans. I see this as just a fun novelty with the movies - not something to further it along.

JMK
Mar 18th, 2005, 06:53:06 PM
It's a new way of looking at the star wars movies. We've not seen them in 3D, and no one will force you to go and see it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 18th, 2005, 07:05:57 PM

Weird idea.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2005, 10:06:02 PM
I like it should be cool to see them in 3D. I wonder how wide this release will be?

JMK
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:57:26 PM
I'm guessing the same as the IMAX release of AotC.

Rutabaga
Mar 19th, 2005, 02:37:02 AM
Oh good Lord, what a strange idea. Seems like yet another way for GL to wring some cash out of the franchise.

I'll probably still go to see 'em anyways, though, of course. ;)

JMK
Mar 19th, 2005, 11:17:38 AM
I think the amount he makes from this will depend on how wide the release is and how much the process of turning them into 3D will cost. If it's limited release (say to IMAX theaters) and expensive to convert then I imagine he won't be making money the way he usually does.

Jedieb
Mar 19th, 2005, 09:14:26 PM
From what I've read, this isn't your traditional 3-D. It's suppose to be a new kind of 3-D projector and film that was showcased at ShoWest. It's not just Lucas pushing this, Cameron, Zemikis, and Robert Rodriguez were there as well. They showed the first few minutes of ANH in 3-D and the response was overwhelmingly positive. This re-release may be pretty limited. You'll probably have to catch it in a big city that has the needed 3-D projectors.

Yog
Mar 21st, 2005, 02:59:27 PM
Although I always wanted to see Star Wars movies in 3D and this sort of technology is the way of the future, sadly, it will be probably be hard for most people to have a chance to see it in this format, because of benefit/cost conciderations of theater owners. For example, digital projecting has been around for years now, but is still in very limited availability. IMAX been around for even longer, yet even to this day a lot of people have not even seen anything in IMAX let alone IMAX 3D (which is amazingly spectacular btw and probably better than the stuff showcased at ShoWest). Things are progressing, but veeeeery slowly.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:31:32 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
From what I've read, this isn't your traditional 3-D. It's suppose to be a new kind of 3-D projector and film that was showcased at ShoWest. It's not just Lucas pushing this, Cameron, Zemikis, and Robert Rodriguez were there as well. They showed the first few minutes of ANH in 3-D and the response was overwhelmingly positive. This re-release may be pretty limited. You'll probably have to catch it in a big city that has the needed 3-D projectors.
I read that in the newspaper - it sounds pretty awesome actually. It's a different 3-D technique than what's usually used, and obviously it wouldn't be filled with the '3-D gags' that are used in the 3-D shows (universal studios, disneyworld) we're familiar with.

From what I understand, the new technique uses a regular digital projector instead of two projectors, and can be shown in normal theatres, instead of only IMAX. James Cameron said that this is how all movies will be made some day... but we'll see.