PDA

View Full Version : New Book: Going Postal

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:52:22 PM
Terry Pratchett has a new Discworld novel out!!

>>insert happy dance of joy<<

:crack

I just picked it up, and I'm resisting starting to read it for the moment. If I start, I'll never finish reading the Series of Unforunate Events books.

Has anyone else read Going Postal yet?

General Dan
Feb 27th, 2005, 08:48:27 PM
Nope, is it out in paperback?

Which storyline does it follow in the series? I need another Watch book to read :)

Rognan Dar
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:00:32 PM
OH! Can I borrow it until your done with SoUE? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE?!?!? I need a new book to read now.

Kyle Krogen
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:31:46 PM
I want to read it too!!! how many pages is it?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 28th, 2005, 12:10:07 AM
Originally posted by Kyle Krogen
I want to read it too!!! how many pages is it? That has to be the most irrellevant question I've ever seen. It's Pratchett.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:07:31 AM
This came out in October 2004 :p

... but no I haven't read any Discworld in AGES

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:31:35 AM
Whaaat?!

Well, it's the first time I ever saw it in a bookstore. :D I picked it up and couldn't put it down, so I had to pay for it so they'd let me leave.

So far it's following a new character, but set in Anhk-Morpork and involves Lord Vetenari. And, also of note, it didn't start out with the usual "on the back of four giant elephants" etc etc that I think all the other books start with. It took me a while in the bookstore to figure out if it really was a Discworld book or not.

And Charley - it's hardbound.

Natia Telcontar
Feb 28th, 2005, 12:06:45 PM
I've just had to many other things to do that I haven't gotten to reading more then 2 of my Discworld novels.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:02:56 PM
I finished it at about 5:30 this evening. ^_^;

It was excellent, as per usual. Pratchett is certainly not losing his edge. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:57:05 PM
Have you read Monstrous Regement yet, LD?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:43:39 PM
Yes.

I had all the Discworld books. ^_^; And, since i have the newest one, I have them all again.

:crack I'm addicted. On one hand, I'd be deliriously happy if there were movies made from these books, and on the other hand, I love the books and don't want them ruined from the way they are when I read them.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:53:10 PM
I'm supposing I should read these Discworld books of which you all speak, shouldn't I.

That being said, which one do I need to start with? Or are they not in any particular order?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:05:34 PM
They are in an order - but you don't necessarily have to read them in it.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:42:45 AM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
I'm supposing I should read these Discworld books of which you all speak, shouldn't I.

That being said, which one do I need to start with? Or are they not in any particular order?

The Colour of Magic is the one you want to be reading first. You can see the actual order HERE (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/40/paperback/ref=pd_serl_books/104-9256914-5927127). While all the books are one big series, there are also sort of... mini-series' within the bigger plot, just focusing on one group usually. The Watch, the Wizards, the Witches, Death, etc. So you could just start at Guards! Guard! if you were just interested in the Watch, or Mort if you're just interested in Death. Doesn't make too much of a difference if you read them in a random order, although there will be certain times when continuity might be a little confusing.

Akrabbim
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:30:56 PM
I love Pratchett, but I'm not terribly fond of the witches.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:25:27 PM
Me neither. I'm a Death girl, myself :) (and the Watch too of course, but everyone loves them :D)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:19:35 PM
I have to say - I like them all. I love "Lords and Ladies" about the elves in Lancre. It's such different take on elves than anything I've read before (although not necessarily original to Pratchett).

Rincewind is hilarious, and the Watch is... fantastic. Night Watch is the best in the bunch so far, but the Watch books are all good, and you should read them in chronological order.

Zem Vymes
Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:34:45 PM
Night Watch was middle of the road, as far as the Watch books go. That being said, the Watch is the reason I read Pratchett in the first place.

My favorite Watch books are Feet of Clay and The Fifth Elephant

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 4th, 2005, 07:12:54 AM
Men At Arms and The Fifth Elephant are my favorite in the Watch collection :) Soul Music and Mort are probably my favorite non-Watch ones

Akrabbim
Mar 4th, 2005, 04:34:04 PM
Death is my favorite. Rincewind and Cohen the Barbarian rock too. I still die laughing whenever the Luggage is around, though. The way that Pratchett describes a wooden box glaring at people gets me every time.