PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Night Thread

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:45:13 AM
Ceremony is still several hours away. I was asked to start new thread for the broadcast and our thoughts on the winners.

Yog
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:02:49 PM
Im going to stay glued to my TV screen in the late hours. Holding my thumbs for Million Dollar Baby winning best movie. I saw The Sea Inside yesterday, and it looked like it could be a worthy winner of best foreign picture.

Nice sig btw :p

Quadinaros
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:28:04 PM
I'll also be pulling for Million Dollar Baby, but my gut is telling me Aviator will win best picture and director, which wouldn't be such a bad thing. :\

I'm also looking forward to Chris Rock as the host. He should liven up the show. :cool

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:27:47 PM
I am rooting for Million Dollar Baby sorta of only because I like Clint Eastwood and his work.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:27:57 PM
Aviator should win about...7-8 awards.

But it won't. MDB will win BP and acouple of others. I expect it to be the first BP winner in many a year to not have the most wins.

In 20 years people won't understand how The Aviator lost. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:32:20 PM
So you think MDB is going to win? I know I have been reading reports that some in the AP thought it was going to because the voters were starting to be won over by it or something. I still think it is close I think it could go either way honestly. I can't say what deserves to win because I haven't been able to see either film.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:41:56 PM
Every other hour I go back and forth Carr. It's gonna be close. Don't be shocked at a split.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:47:24 PM
Yeah I can see that since the other day you picked Aviator :p Any chance of a surprise? I figure Foxx is a lock. Best Actress could give us one I guess. I heard somebody on Good Morning America say that Imelda Staunton could shock everybody. I wouldn't be shocked at what happend in the supporting awards female is between Blanchant-Madsen-Portman and it looks like Male is between Freeman-Owen-Church. Not sure if a best picture surprise is possible. Could Sideways shock everybody?

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:51:06 PM
Statistically Sideways could very well win. It did take the WGA award...SAG Ensemble..and BP Musical/Comedy at the Globes.

Those were 3 big Awards that Shakeaspeare in Love won....

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:58:18 PM
I guess we will have to wait and see. I sure don't see anything dominating like last year that much is for sure.

Dutchy
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:05:35 PM
I can't watch it.

I hate it!

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:06:30 PM
You mean you literially can't watch it or you hate the Oscars?

LightKnight
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:40:01 PM
I of course will not watch the Oscar’s. I have serious issues with the whole selection process and the snubbing. Not to let all that up stage the political B.S (not government) that is involved. The awards are useless and merit less. I could go on but unfortunately there are millions who would disagree with me and are going to flock to the T.V and watch in awe, thinking that the best really win blah, blah, blah.

But with that said Hear me now, believe me later (I’m sure I’m not alone)

Either Ray will win for best Picture or Foxx will win best Actor for Ray. Now, not that maybe either or is not deserved . I am of course 100% sure had Ray not died this year his album would not have won a Grammy and his movie would not be this big of deal and since he did and they are making such a deal about it if it doesn’t win either I have mentioned expect backlash from the minority sect and me eating my words about the legitimacy of the Oscar’s.

And Chris Rock will suck.:\

Yog
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:53:25 PM
Good to see Morgan Freeman finally win an award. It was about time :)

Dutchy
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:35:36 PM
For the wrong role, though. It had little added value to the movie, IMO.

Dutchy
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:43:45 PM
Million Dollar Baby is the big winner. One statue less than The Aviator, but winner of Best Picture, Best Director, Best Acress and Best Supporting Actor.

I'm happy with that. :)

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:44:45 PM
I wanna hurl.

Yog
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:46:53 PM
For the wrong role, though. It had little added value to the movie, IMO

Freeman has been better yes, however, he still was the best of the nominees IMO. Only other one would maybe be Jamie Foxx in Collateral, but then he would be winning double.

I was happy to see Clint Eastwood win director and best picture, but at the same time feel sad for Scorsese.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:51:13 PM
To me MDB is the weakest BP winner since The English Patient. It was a great evening marred by the final 10 minutes.

MBD joins an "exclusive" list of Picture winners not to even TIE for most wins. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:52:40 PM
I think Scorsese will be like Hitchcock and never win one it happens sometimes. I was happy for Clint too so now I need to see the movie to see if it deserved it. I was only disapointed about a couple of things one was Natalie, but I figure she is young she has plenty of oppurtunties to win one. Closer was just a dark movie maybe too dark for her to win her first Oscar. I was also kind of disapointed that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban lost on VFX. I knew Spiderman 2 would beat it but I was hoping. HP had the better VFX the CGI was amazing I think what doomed it was more voters had seen Spiderman 2 and plus some might see HP as kids stuff unworthy for the Oscar.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:55:10 PM
What are the others on that list CMJ? Silence of the Lambs? Braveheart? About English Patient that year sucked as I remember. The most memorable film that year for me was Independence Day which says a lot.

LightKnight
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:05:23 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I think Scorsese will be like Hitchcock and never win one it happens sometimes. I was happy for Clint too so now I need to see the movie to see if it deserved it. I was only disapointed about a couple of things one was Natalie, but I figure she is young she has plenty of oppurtunties to win one. Closer was just a dark movie maybe too dark for her to win her first Oscar. I was also kind of disapointed that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban lost on VFX. I knew Spiderman 2 would beat it but I was hoping. HP had the better VFX the CGI was amazing I think what doomed it was more voters had seen Spiderman 2 and plus some might see HP as kids stuff unworthy for the Oscar.

ILM+Lucas+Potter=No Oscar :\

No, I'm not going to get into that. But I really do find it quite funny that SP2 would win best VFX when it's VFX was very,very,very,very poorly done. Now keep in mind that I didn't see it on the big screen and things always look off on T.V. I found shrek to be more realistic looking than anything in SP2 and I HATE,hate,HATE,hate anything Shrek.

Yog
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:10:49 PM
To me MDB is the weakest BP winner since The English Patient. It was a great evening marred by the final 10 minutes

Heh, I disagree with you there. Lets look at the list of winners since 1996:

1996 The English Patient
1997 Titanic
1998 Shakespeare in Love
1999 American Beauty
2000 Gladiator
2001 A Beautiful Mind
2002 Chicago
2003 The Lord Of the Rings: The Return Of the King

I feel MDB is a stronger movie than any of these except Gladiator and Return of the King. Shakespeare in Love in particular was a weak movie, IMO.

MBD joins an "exclusive" list of Picture winners not to even TIE for most wins

Well, on the other hand, it won best director, best supporting actor and actress. Those are heavy awards.

I think Scorsese will be like Hitchcock and never win one it happens sometimes

Yeah, could be. On the other hand, Scorsese is still an amazing director. He could still get nomminated again.

I was only disapointed about a couple of things one was Natalie, but I figure she is young she has plenty of oppurtunties to win one

Natalie was great in Closer, but also in Garden State. I recommend it.

I was also kind of disapointed that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban lost on VFX. I knew Spiderman 2 would beat it but I was hoping. HP had the better VFX the CGI was amazing I think what doomed it was more voters had seen Spiderman 2 and plus some might see HP as kids stuff unworthy for the Oscar.

I think it was probably a very close race between those 2 movies. I really had no idea which would win until they read it from the envelope.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:12:00 PM
What are the others on that list CMJ? Silence of the Lambs? Braveheart? About English Patient that year sucked as I remember. The most memorable film that year for me was Independence Day which says a lot.

I think the last time the BP winner didn't win the most trophies(or tie) was like 20 years ago. Braveheart won the most...and I'm nearly positive SOTL did too.

I think the last one mighta been Chariots of Fire

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:15:37 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Heh, I disagree with you there. Lets look at the list of winners since 1996:

1996 The English Patient
1997 Titanic
1998 Shakespeare in Love
1999 American Beauty
2000 Gladiator
2001 A Beautiful Mind
2002 Chicago
2003 The Lord Of the Rings: The Return Of the King

English Patient wasn't even on my 96 list.

1997 = My #1 of the year
1998 = My #3 of the year
1999 = My #1 of the year
2000 = My #1 of the year
2001 = My #4 of the year
2002 = My #5 of the year
2003 = My #1 of the Year

MDB = #7 of 2004

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:16:34 PM
About the VFX, well I think ILM did a brilliant job in creating Buckbeak (the flying horse-eagle for those who haven't seen it) and the dementors (the creatures of death that plague Harry throughout the film). The best thing about Spiderman 2's effects was Doc's arms. I did feel the effects in Spiderman2 were better than Spiderman but I didn't think it deserved it over Harry but that is just my feelings. About Garden State I saw it I loved heck I thought she was great in that movie. Finally about weakest film well English Patient and Shakespear in Love where the weakest in the last ten years, IMO. I thought Saving Private should have won in 98. I can't judge MDB until I go see it heck maybe I will now. Just to find out if it was worthy.

Yog
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:20:40 PM
Hey, CMJ I agree with you on one thing though. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was arguably even better than MDB, possibly the best movie of all this year and one of the better movies in MANY years, and it was not even nominated for BP. There were so many categories I felt it deserved recognition, I was very happy to see it win for screenplay :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:21:35 PM
Yeah I was glad too because I said that was at least original.

CMJ
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:23:52 PM
I can't tell you how happy I was for Kaufman. At that point I thought it was gonna be a terrific night for me. Maybe I can convince myself Marty really won.

:headbash

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:31:58 PM
I am sorry you are disapointed. Actually this year I didn't care who really won that much. I was conviced the stuff I was rooting for wouldn't win so I turned out not to be that disapointed. Also what did everybody think about Chris Rock's performance. I thought he did a very good job, defintely better than Letterman's lone one and probably better than Whoopie and Steve Martin. Still think Billy Crystal is the best at least since Carson. I loved that montage they showed of his shows they were hilarious. Shows why he was the king.

Yog
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:45:14 PM
Like I said to CMJ on IM, I have been disappointed about the Oscars for many years except the last two years and the year Gladiator won.

I agree Chris Rock did well. Still feel Billy Crystal is the best host of the recent ones. I would have really liked to see Jim Carrey get the honor, but I doubt that will ever happen after a certain stunt he pulled :p

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:53:36 PM
I would like to see Robin Williams do it myself he is the funniest man alive, IMO.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 28th, 2005, 06:35:01 AM
I would like to see Robin Williams do it myself he is the funniest man alive, IMO.

I'm inclined to agree. I so want to see him do the Oscars. He's the best.

Anuis Ma'artra
Feb 28th, 2005, 08:34:27 AM
Yeah but they would need like a 10-second delay for Williams, he makes Rock's stand-up act look like Wayne Brady.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2005, 12:10:50 PM
Williams knows how to behave himself he presented one award last night and he was very funny and didn't say anything obscene. I am sure he could do it.

CMJ
Feb 28th, 2005, 01:08:41 PM
I was right...Chariots of Fire was the last BP winner not to at least tie for most wins. The film that took home the most Gold?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Dutchy
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:00:52 PM
You mean you literially can't watch it or you hate the Oscars?

I couldn't watch it. Of course I don't hate the Oscars. :)

Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Natalie was great in Closer, but also in Garden State. I recommend it.

She was good in Closer, but I didn't buy into her as a striptease dancer. She's too girly for that, IMHO.

She was utterly cute in Garden State, though. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 28th, 2005, 08:47:22 PM
Personally - i'm glad the Aviator didn't win. I saw (of the five nominated films) only Finding Neverland and The Aviator, and I immensely preferred Finding Neverland.

Aviator seemed... contrived in some way. It was much too long (at least, it felt much too long, as opposed to RotK which was probably longer but felt shorter), and although Howard Hughes is certainly a fascinating character, I felt that the movie simply wasn't better than Finding Neverland. There seemed to be a lot of dead space that was spent exploring the neurotic and germaphobe side of Hughes.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie - but not a great movie.

As CMJ (I think?) said, Scorsese has been nominated for much better films, and lost. This was not his best work, and frankly, however deserving the Director may be for his body of work, The Aviator was simply outgunned this year.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:05:07 PM
All the critics said that, that he his best work was behind him.

CMJ
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:21:56 PM
BS....The Aviator is Scorcese's best film. Contrived?? That makes me wanna throw something. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

In most years TA would've been my favorite film of the year. If not for ESOTSM it would've ruled this year.

Scorcese's films are NEVER appreciated in the year of their release. Even his "classics" like Raging Bull or Goodfellas didn't rule the critics circles - much less other awards.

Marty has lost Best Director 5 times with zero wins. Only Kubrick, Hitchcock, and Vidor are on that list. He will never win..this was his best chance.

And Carr...not ALL critics said that. That's ridiculous. If you can't tell this loss is raw..and it will be for some time.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:07:20 AM
Sorry, I was only quoted what I heard on CNN they said this not me. Don't kill the messenger :p

CMJ
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:46:38 PM
Sorry Carr...it's just gonna take me a while to swallow this one.

Quadinaros
Mar 1st, 2005, 04:05:16 PM
Regarding Scorsese, I do feel a little bad about him not winning again, but I agree with the Academy in this case for rewarding Eastwood.

That said, there is nothing the Academy can ever do to make up for snubbing Scorsese for both Raging Bull and GoodFellas. I'm guessing someday he'll be rewarded with an Oscar for a lesser film, and it'll be more of an honor for his career's work. That would have been the situation had he won for The Aviator.

And I don't see the significance of MDB winning fewer awards than Aviator. MDB kicked Aviator's butt in all the major awards. Head to head, MDB beat Aviator for Best Picture, Director, and Supporting Actor.

Anyway, I think they're both great movies. :evil

CMJ
Mar 1st, 2005, 05:02:59 PM
It wouldn't have been awarding him for lesser work(especially Goodfellas which is one of the most overrated films ever)...but I digress. :p

As for significance...it's just VERY rare for a film to win BP with fewer awards than another film. It just plain is.

Oh well...Aviator won the Golden Globe and the BAFTA. I guess that will have to be my solace.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 1st, 2005, 07:19:43 PM
Don't worry about it, I understand. It sounds like you are really down about it. Personally, I never worry about the oscars. I like watching it for the entertainment value and stuff like that but if what I like doesn't win or get nominated it doesn't bother me.

Quadinaros
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:47:14 PM
I think I know what you're going through, CMJ. I felt the same way on the night Kevin Costner and Dances With Wolves were awarded over Scorsese and Goodfellas. >_<

There are times when I really applaud the Academy, and other times I'd like to line them all up and smack 'em. :evil

CMJ
Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:17:28 AM
Originally posted by Quadinaros
There are times when I really applaud the Academy, and other times I'd like to line them all up and smack 'em. :evil

Which is why I love the awards so much I guess. They always have ya buzzing about them - that's for sure. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:42:37 PM
Even though this thread is dying I figure I post this article I read on Box office Mojo it is a real good look at the Oscars and their current meaning.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1742&p=.htm

I think Favorite picture is a better way to look at it myself. I mean it is all opinion there is no true way of deteriming what is best. What one person might think is the best movie someone else doesn't.

JMK
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:05:45 AM
Good article, lots of points in there, especially about SIL winning BP in '98 when SPR is the more memorable picture.