PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Full, Official Trailer

Shawn
Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:31:00 AM
http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/trailers/index.html

:cool

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:08:15 PM
It has a very Red Dwarf-ish look about it :D I like it.

But... Zaphod has only one head?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:54:05 PM
I do believe I'm going to be dragging my little hermit carcass out of the house to see this :D

Darth McBain
Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:19:16 PM
Looks pretty good...

Shawn
Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:44:31 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
It has a very Red Dwarf-ish look about it :D I like it.

But... Zaphod has only one head? Both heads can bee seen. They just approached it a little differently.

There's a scene where the second head pops up underneath the first one.

There are several little changes to the story. Which is ok, since Adams himself had a tendency to do that.

Drake Shadowstalker
Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:59:23 PM
It looks...interesting to say the least.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:13:23 AM
he has three hands though...

I can't wait. :D

Pierce Tondry
Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:56:49 PM
Hahahahaha. Gonna LOVE this.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:23:40 PM
I love the casting. Arthur seems very properly british and Arthur.

Jedieb
Feb 24th, 2005, 09:06:55 PM
Loved reading those books years ago. I think I may actually pick up one of the comepilations that are always floating around and re-read the series. Well, at least the first one.

Gav Mortis
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:22:19 AM
I really love the look of this film. Question to the folks who've read the novel: do you recommend that I read the novel first or wait for the film?

Shawn
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:52:02 AM
I don't think there's any harm in reading the books first. For one thing, there are certain bits of humor that simply aren't going to translate to the big screen. The argument over the plausibility of the Babel Fish, for one, doesn't seem like something that's going to be included.

For two, while the movie will follow the same general storyline, it's not a direct adaptation, per se. Douglas Adams had a tendency to rewrite the story many times, so there is no definitive version of the HHGTTG. I'm sure there will be some surprises for you in store even if you read the book first.

So yeah, go ahead and read it. It'll just give you a better appreciation for the movie.

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 25th, 2005, 09:49:45 AM
Wants to see the movie...

Shawn
Feb 26th, 2005, 06:13:33 PM
There's an internet-only trailer here (http://video.ugo.com/player.aspx?articleID=13939&ref=ts). It's low quality, but pretty funny. And it has Marvin talking.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:34:02 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
There's an internet-only trailer here (http://video.ugo.com/player.aspx?articleID=13939&ref=ts). It's low quality, but pretty funny. And it has Marvin talking.

:lol I'm liking the narration by Stephen Fry, especially the bit about the deep voice

AmazonBabe
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:43:06 PM
Can't WAIT to be able to see this. I read the book so looong ago. I'm wondering if I should refresh or just go in cold.

Gav Mortis
May 1st, 2005, 09:31:18 PM
I am sorry to say I thought this film was a pile of complete tripe. It was unadulterated nonsense from start to finish. There were plenty of genuinely funny bits for me personally but I noticed that few, if any, of my company found it half as amusing. The plot was non-existant and nothing more than a vessel for a plethora of quirky, half-enlightened ponderings. Very dissapointed.

Shawn
May 1st, 2005, 11:21:02 PM
I thought it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2005, 01:55:38 AM
:D I loved it!

Dasquian Belargic
May 2nd, 2005, 04:06:20 AM
I've heard such mixed reviews about this. Going to see it on Tuesday, hope I'm one of the people who loves it :\

Anbira Hicchoru
May 2nd, 2005, 06:12:39 AM
I heard its crap, but I'll probably still see it eventually.

Droo
May 2nd, 2005, 06:26:48 AM
I've heard such mixed reviews about this. Going to see it on Tuesday, hope I'm one of the people who loves it :\

Stephen Fry's commentary is awesome and Alan Rickman as Marvin is inspired; those are the bits that kept me going throughout the film. I just found myself not caring for anyone or anything but Marvin, who rocks, we were all in agreement on that after seeing it. Marvin is great.

The rest is just colours and moving images. Filler nonsense to me.

JMK
May 2nd, 2005, 07:02:11 AM
Originally posted by Gav Mortis
I am sorry to say I thought this film was a pile of complete tripe. It was unadulterated nonsense from start to finish. There were plenty of genuinely funny bits for me personally but I noticed that few, if any, of my company found it half as amusing. The plot was non-existant and nothing more than a vessel for a plethora of quirky, half-enlightened ponderings. Very dissapointed.

I'm pretty much in the same camp...maybe a little less harsh though. I thought the plot was non-existant and was jam packed with things that, like you said, are quirky, half-enlightened ponderings.

But like others I LOVED the Marvin character and the part at the beginning with the dolphins was great.

Draken Chakara
May 2nd, 2005, 09:43:47 AM
I personally loved it. I thought it was hilarious.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 2nd, 2005, 11:42:04 AM
Originally posted by Draken Chakara
I personally loved it. I thought it was hilarious.

Yeah, did you guys not read the books or something?

I really love the look of this film. Question to the folks who've read the novel: do you recommend that I read the novel first or wait for the film?

Oh, now it makes sense. You didn't know what you were getting into.

Droo
May 2nd, 2005, 11:57:07 AM
At the end of the day, if you're going to make a film then you shouldn't even have to suggest the audience should check out the source material first, in this case the novel, from which the film came in order to understand or enjoy it. Some people claimed to have this problem with the LOTR trilogy, I didn't, perhaps because I'd read the books, but you should be able to enjoy a film fully without having to check out the book(s) first.

Anbira Hicchoru
May 2nd, 2005, 12:05:26 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Yeah, did you guys not read the books or something?

Oh, now it makes sense. You didn't know what you were getting into.

Films should be able to stand on their own.

Draken Chakara
May 2nd, 2005, 02:37:44 PM
I haven't read the book yet, and I liked it anyway.

Lady Vader
May 2nd, 2005, 08:11:24 PM
I had mixed feelings about the movie. There were definitely parts that i really enjoyed (and I can't get that freakin hilarious song out of my head >_< ). But there were parts of the movie I found my mind wandering where I got bored.

So, I'm on a half'n'half about it. Fun movie. But not one I'll be seeing again anytime soon.

Rutabaga
May 2nd, 2005, 08:35:15 PM

I basically agree. I was ssssoooo looking forward to this movie, I've been a huge Hitchhiker's Guide fan since I was in high school (many moons ago, too many moons ago), and I was disappointed and somewhat angry as I left the theater. Way too many changes for my taste. I know Douglas Adams wrote the first draft(s) of the screenplay, so I know at least some of the changes were his ideas, but man, I don't know what he was thinking with some of those changes. Some of them were downright horrific. I think my greatest disappointment was in the portrayal of Zaphod...up till now, he's been an incredibly cool and funny character, and now, in this new movie adaptation, he came off as a dumb jerk. :\

Marvin was the highlight, for sure. Perfectly voiced by Alan Rickman. And the scene where Marvin used the Point of View gun on the Vogons was brilliant. It's just too bad that the entire movie didn't live up to the brilliance of that one scene. :(

Wei Wu Wei
May 3rd, 2005, 07:35:39 AM
I thought it was an excellent movie. I thought it was well put together and made a great deal of sense.

JMK
May 3rd, 2005, 07:59:46 AM
Originally posted by Wei Wu Wei
I thought it was an excellent movie. I thought it was well put together and made a great deal of sense.

Good. Now can you please explain to the rest of us that didn't get it whatsoever how it made a great deal of sense? ;)

Wei Wu Wei
May 3rd, 2005, 08:40:32 AM
The whole galaxy is like a bigger version of the way things run on earth, if you think about it.

The whole story gets started because a galactic version of Arthur's predicament at the beginning of the movie. And then it's just like Arthur was homeless and roaming earth. Only he's roaming the galaxy.

Dasquian Belargic
May 3rd, 2005, 11:51:42 AM
Mmm. It was kind of boring. Marvin was very amusing, and so adorable (especially when he turned into a little knitted version of himself, hehe), and Stephen Fry was very funny as the Guide - but otherwise, it seemed pretty thin on material. Like they were glossing over a lot of stuff, speeding through it all, and occasionally stopping for a joke now and then. Also, I don't think Zaphod was represented very well. He came off as a pretty clever bloke in the books, and here he just looked like a vapid idiot.

Shawn
May 3rd, 2005, 12:06:42 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Yeah, did you guys not read the books or something?If you dig through the archives, you'd see that I've been a fan of Adams's for longer than I've been posting here. I've bought the complete trilogy at least 3 times now (because I keep loaning out copies that never get returned).

Some of the really hilarious segments were cut out, completely pointless and unfunny segments were added in and it basically felt like it was meandering along. I don't mind some changes, as long as they're good changes.
[...] but otherwise, it seemed pretty thin on material. Like they were glossing over a lot of stuff, speeding through it all, and occasionally stopping for a joke now and then.Precisely how I feel.

I hear the early workprint of the film was really good, so maybe this can be redeemed when the DVD comes out.

Lady Vader
May 3rd, 2005, 06:01:14 PM
I hear the early workprint of the film was really good, so maybe this can be redeemed when the DVD comes out.

One can only hope.

Rutabaga
May 3rd, 2005, 08:41:58 PM
Mmm. It was kind of boring. Marvin was very amusing, and so adorable (especially when he turned into a little knitted version of himself, hehe), and Stephen Fry was very funny as the Guide - but otherwise, it seemed pretty thin on material. Like they were glossing over a lot of stuff, speeding through it all, and occasionally stopping for a joke now and then. Also, I don't think Zaphod was represented very well. He came off as a pretty clever bloke in the books, and here he just looked like a vapid idiot.

I'm in complete agreement...I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who was unhappy with how Zaphod came across in the movie. The coolness factor was completely, utterly gone. :\

If the original workprint was superior to what was released into theaters this past weekend, then the only way they'll get me to shell out any bucks for the DVD is if the original workprint is on the disc. Otherwise, I'm not wasting my money on it, and will watch my DVDs of the BBC miniseries instead. And reread the books yet again. :)

Droo
May 3rd, 2005, 09:21:06 PM
Also, I don't think Zaphod was represented very well. He came off as a pretty clever bloke in the books, and here he just looked like a vapid idiot.

He wasn't supposed to be a vapid idiot? Wow! Every effort seemed to be made to make the audience believe otherwise. I seriously didn't enjoy one moment of that character onscreen; he was simply cringeworthy.

JMK
May 4th, 2005, 06:34:00 AM
I liked the character until that second head came out. Then I wanted to cry. He was awful, and poorly done.

Wei Wu Wei
May 4th, 2005, 03:18:31 PM
Yeah, Zaphod really irritated me. But once they cut off his second head, he got to be more likeable.

Draken Chakara
May 5th, 2005, 02:48:36 PM
I just finished the book, and I still really really liked the movie. There are a couple of extra phrases that I wish they would have added, but I liked the changes overall. As well, I still really liked the Zaphod they had in the movie. I thought he really fit the sporadic and insaneo nature of the character in the book, even if his look was adapted.

Figrin D'an
May 7th, 2005, 10:16:59 PM
The film had it's good and bad aspects. The pacing was choppy and uneven, but then again, so was the book... quite intentionally. I certainly missed not seeing certain things that I hope will be included on the DVD. The movie was definitely made with fans of the books in mind; while some larger plots points were changed, most of the little things were almost verbatim from the novel.

I'm glad I saw it, although I probably should have saved it for a matinee rather than going to a full price evening show.

Rutabaga
May 8th, 2005, 12:15:50 AM
I've got to say, I agree with a lot of what's said in this review:

http://www.planetmagrathea.com/longreview1.html

Be forewarned, it truly is a long review, and the language gets a little salty at times :cool.