PDA

View Full Version : NFL Offseason moves and more

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 15th, 2005, 11:50:02 PM
Figured start a thread about FA moves, cuts and the draft. So far Jeff Garcia is the only major player who has been cut, although it looks like the Bills are going to cut Bledsoe. Garcia I can kinda of understand, he just didn't fit in Cleveland. But Buffalo, what are they thinking. They have a good young team and they are getting rid of their veteren leader and replacing him with a second year QB who has only took 5 snaps in the NFL that is insane. Here is the article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1992404

I mean they mention they are coping Pittsburg but Loseman doesn't look like another Rosenburgler besides they think lighting will strike twice?? Now Bledsoe will probably either go to Dallas or Arizona both teams need a QB despertly. Garcia, I bet will go to Detroit or Chicago. Detroit fits because of Mooch. Here is another good article
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1991944
I guess we will see how all of this goes.

Yog
Feb 16th, 2005, 05:38:46 AM
Loseman for Bledsoe. Thats surprising seeing how well the Bills played at the end of the season. Wonder what theire thinking? Guess what theire trying to do is rebuild the QB position with future young talent. Their strength is in the defense and running game anyway. Still, very risky, hope they know what theire doing.

About Garcia, Cleveland just sucks - period. Even more so without Garcia. I dont see them getting anywhere. Maybe if they get a great running back.

Also, on the note of drafts. Don Banks at Sports Illustrated predicts this draft:

01. S.F - QB - Aaron Rodgers, California
02. MIA - RB - Cedric Benson, Texas
03. CLE - QB - Alex Smith, from Utah
04. CHI - WR - Braylon Edwards, Michigan
05. T.B. - RB - Carnell Williams, Auburn
06. TEN - OT - Alex Barron, Florida State
07. OAKL - DE - Dan Cody, Oklahoma
08. ARZ - RB - Ronnie Brown, Auburn
09. WAS - CB - Adam Jones, West Virginia
10. DET - CB - Antrel Rolle, Miami
11. DAL - DE - Erasmus Jones, Wisconsin
12. S.D - WR - Mike Williams, Southern California
13. HOU - LB - Derrick Johnson, Texas
14. CAR - WR - Troy Williamson, Southern Carolina
15. K.C - DE - Marcus Spears, Lousiana State
16. N.O - S - Thomas Davis, Georgia
17. CIN - DT - Travis Johnson, Florida State
18. MIN - DT - Anttaj Hawthorne, Wisconsin
19. STL - OT - Jammal Brown, Oklahoma
20. DAL - DE/OLB - Shawne Merriman, Maryland
21. JAX - DE - David Pollack, Georgia
22. BAL - WR - Roddy White, UAB
23. SEA - DE - Matt Roth, Iowa
24. G.B - CB - Carlos Rogers, Auburn
25. DEN - DE/DT - Shaun Cody, Southern California
26. NYJ - CB - Brandon Browner, Oregon State
27. ATL - WR - Mark Clayton, Oklahoma
28. S.D - S - Brodney Pool, Oklahoma
29. IND - CB - Bryant McFadden, Florida State
30. PIT - TE - Heath Miller, Virginia
31. PHI - WR - Reggie Brown, Georgia
32. N.E - CB - Justin Miller, Clemson

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/02/10/mock.draft.1/index.html

JMK
Feb 16th, 2005, 07:58:23 AM
If you look back, it wasn't Bledsoe who had the revival and turned the Bills around, it was Willis McGahee. Once he took the starting RB job away from Travis Henry the Bills became a major force in the AFC, of course they were already 4 or 5 games below .500 at that point so it was clearly too late for them to make a charge, but I think they will be ok with Losman in there. Bledsoe has cement shoes and hangs on waaaaaay too long.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 16th, 2005, 11:50:54 AM
Yeah but their pass blocking is very suspect and you put basically an unknown out there I don't think it is a smart move. I could see if they release Bledsoe and sign Kurt Warner or Garcia now then I could understand but you are taking too big of risk with a young QB who was an unknown even in college.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 16th, 2005, 12:10:50 PM
This Bill's fan is not happy with that move. >_<

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 16th, 2005, 11:06:51 PM
I don't blame you to me it is very very risky. To me you need a veteren QB to win, he is the leader. I can't see them going far next season with an unknown.

JMK
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:11:53 AM
In most cases that's true, but in recent years we've seen some unproven QB's do some great things. McNabb has been terrific since he started, Warner did pretty well for himself after getting into the NFL, Marino went all the way to the superbowl in his rookie season, and this year Roethlisberger went undefeated up to the AFC championchip game.

For the most part I agree that you need a veteran QB, but with a team like the Bills that doesn't have a great receiving group anyway, it's not a necessity.

jjwr
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:37:19 AM
As a huge Bledsoe fan from his Pats days I am sad to see him changing teams again but at least this way I won't have to watch the Pats beat on him twice a year now.

Interesting move, it could pay dividends for them if Losman can do it or it could really backfire especially if he goes down again.

I hope Bledsoe goes somewhere with a good line and a solid RB so he can get out and play like he used to!

Ryan Pode
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:19:46 PM
Originally posted by JMK
In most cases that's true, but in recent years we've seen some unproven QB's do some great things. McNabb has been terrific since he started, Warner did pretty well for himself after getting into the NFL, Marino went all the way to the superbowl in his rookie season, and this year Roethlisberger went undefeated up to the AFC championchip game.

McNabb has had his ups and downs. Warner was 29 and had played in Arena league, Marion was magical and Roethlisberger had a great team around him and they didn't need him to win games. I think the Bills shot themselves in the foot with this move.

JMK
Feb 17th, 2005, 03:55:16 PM
McNabb has had more ups than downs, and nothing prepares your for the NFL like the NFL. Arena league be damned. I don't necessarily think it's the best move the Bills have ever made, but Bledsoe isn't getting any better or younger, and besides, he still has no one to throw to!

Ryan Pode
Feb 17th, 2005, 04:19:57 PM
Eric Moulds is good. Lee Evans showed promise. The problem with the Bills was scheme. They were much like the Ravens in that they never found what they wanted to do. Except Jim Fassel made Boller slightly better than Bledsoe and Baltimore truly had noone to throw to.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:35:50 PM
The Bills offensive line has problems too, they have allowed the most sacks the last two years. Loseman might not make it through the season with that line anyway. Heck it might be better for Bledsoe especially if he goes with Dallas or Arizona both have good young teams that could build around him. Also who wants to bet that some irrate fan calls Loseman, Loserman if the Bills lose a lot of games next year.:p

JMK
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:13:57 PM
If David Carr made it through his rookie season, then I think Losman can make it through his too.
Moulds may be good, but he's aging, and Evans did show promise, but that's not saying much.

jjwr
Feb 18th, 2005, 09:42:24 AM
Looks like Pats linebacker Tedy Bruschi had a Stroke a few nights back, it seems like he's ok though. Hopefully he can make it back but if it would risk his future in any way I would rather see him retire then force coming back and risk his life. It would be a great loss to the Patriots to lose him but a greater loss if he did play and something serious happened.

JMK
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:20:01 AM
What's he got left to prove? He's a beloved member of one of the best teams of all time and he has 3 rings. Once you start having strokes of any sort, you have to get out of the game. He's supposed to recover completely, but he's lucky. If I were him I'd realize how lucky I was to still be able to walk, speak and have use of my limbs. I'd realize that I really don't have anything left to prove in the NFL and I'd prefer to stay with my family instead.

Ryan Pode
Feb 18th, 2005, 05:39:50 PM
If Arizona got a RB and a QB they could be a very dangerous team.

JMK
Feb 18th, 2005, 06:47:57 PM
There are plenty of free agents of both positions and I can't imagine that they're anywhere near the cap...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:07:23 PM
Before last season they were like 15 million under the cap. They have plenty of room. The owner has a history of being a miser so who knows if he will pull the trigger.

jjwr
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:18:37 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Bledsoe in Arizona, with that WR core and a new RB they could be a very dangerous offensive team.

Ryan Pode
Feb 19th, 2005, 11:30:26 PM
I'd like to see the Ravens resign Gary Baxter as a FS and sign Fred Smoot of the 'Skins as a CB.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 20th, 2005, 05:42:03 PM
I am hoping KC gets either Rolle (who will be cut by the Titans according to ESPN) Ty Law, or trade for Patrick Surtain (ESPN claims he will be traded). Those are probably 3 of the best cb's in the NFL if they could get one of them that will really help to fix their defense.

Jedieb
Feb 20th, 2005, 10:11:57 PM
I think Bledsoe may end up in Dallas. Yeah, that would set back Henson a year or two, but I'd rather have Bledsoe than Vinny again. I bet Parcells would love to have him. The question is whether Jones will let Bill have his way.

Ryan Pode
Feb 20th, 2005, 11:10:37 PM
From what I've seen of Jones, he'll let Bill do whatever he wants to do. I think Miami is going to purge its defense to spend more on offense.

JMK
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:12:09 AM
Miami is going to try and achieve more of a balance. They may have to get rid of a CB like Surtain if they aren't able to draft a RB and have to pick up Edgerrin James or Shawn Alexander.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:50:48 PM
That is why they are shopping Surtain around. What do you think it will take to get Surtain, JMK? I would put a 2nd and 4th rounder for him, myself. I would like them to just give up a second but I figure this is their last chance with this group so might as well just give what it takes.

JMK
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:43:08 PM
If you're offering a 2nd and 4th rounder, then I'm all over that offer. He costs 8.3 million against the cap, and even though he's one of top 10 CB's in the NFL I'd move him in a second. Sam Madison could go as well, meaning the Dolphins will lose 2 terrific CB's in one offseason. That's tough to swallow but I'm sure Saban has a good plan for the team.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:56:53 PM
yeah 2nd and 4th would be fine with me, I sure could live with it. I know the Colts are interested too, I guess it will depend on which team makes the better offer.

jjwr
Feb 21st, 2005, 06:44:08 PM
Good thing about Saban is he's cut from the Belechick mold, he doesn't need players like that to have a effective defense, rather more of a scheme based defense.

As much as I like Ty Law I really hope he either gets restructured and comes back really cheap or the Pats trade him. He's not worth 12 Million that he's due this year. Considering what the team did without him I don't see how he can try and justify that high of a salary.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 21st, 2005, 09:13:36 PM
They might cut him. Have you seen all the cuts the Titans are going to have to make? Kevin Carter, Rolle, Mason and maybe even Mcnair if he doesn't take a pay cut. Man they aren't going to be the same team next year heck I think they will be one of the worse teams in the AFC.

jjwr
Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:11:38 AM
Titans are definetly taking it rough, like the 49ers and Cowboys before them they are paying for their cap problems. As teams move forward you should see more and more do it like the Pats & Eagles. Competitive year in and year out by managing it and not breaking it.

jjwr
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:48:48 AM
And Bledsoe is going to the Cowboys. As a Bledsoe fan I will now have to start checking out the Cowboys games when they are on. With Glenn & Keyshawn he will have decent recievers to throw too. Keyshawn could put up a large # of catches this year. He will be Bledsoe's safety blanket. If Jones runs like he did last year and they improve their line a bit in a weak NFC this is a very possible Wild Card Team.

JMK
Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:18:49 AM
Well that Cowboys O-Line had better be prepared because if Keyshawn is to pull in a significant # of catches...they're going to have to give the slow-footed Bledsoe plenty of time so that he can find the not-as-fast as he used to be Meshawn.

Ryan Pode
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:47:18 PM
Rumors say Randy Moss to Oakland for Napoleon Harris and a #1. Seems like Oakland is definately getting the better of the deal.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:31:23 PM
I don't know about that, they will still be down in last place winning 4-7 games. They have no running game their QB sucks and their defense is the worst in the NFL. Honestly the deal makes no sense for them. It shows Al Davis is off his rocker.

jjwr
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:29:10 AM
Actually they won't be as bad as people are thinking. As the year went on Collins started to get a feel for the offense and he is still a quality QB. With Porter resigned and now Moss with the decent young TE they have they will pack a very scary group of receivers and a QB who can get it to them.

Lack of a running game could hurt them but with a few possible stud's in the draft they could nail that one too.

Miami released Jay Fiedler finally!

Ryan Pode
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:52:49 AM
RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. The Raiders just need to be more proactive in their hunt.

JMK
Feb 24th, 2005, 09:24:29 AM
Originally posted by jjwr
Actually they won't be as bad as people are thinking. As the year went on Collins started to get a feel for the offense and he is still a quality QB. With Porter resigned and now Moss with the decent young TE they have they will pack a very scary group of receivers and a QB who can get it to them.

Lack of a running game could hurt them but with a few possible stud's in the draft they could nail that one too.

Miami released Jay Fiedler finally!

What other team says 'Randy Moss' like the Raiders do? How fitting that he finds himself there.

I almost had a heart attack when I saw that the Dolphins had released Fiedler! I thought he would be a guy that would someone be able to hang around for an entire career somehow.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 24th, 2005, 05:25:57 PM
Collins still sucks he has thrown more interceptions than Tds in his career he is a very poor QB IMO. And Running backs aren't that easy to get especially since the Raiders are content with who they have currently. Also there defense is horrible, it was dead last in the NFL last year and it is going to get worse since they gave up their best defensive player to the Vikings, they are going to have to cut their best corner Buchanon (I think he is better than Woodson honestly) and they won't be able to sign anybody because of their cap problems. They are going to lose a lot of games in the 30's is what it means and they will still finish dead last in the AFC West.

JMK
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:25:54 PM
Say...you wouldn't happen to be a Chiefs fan, now would you JMC??? ;)

Jedieb
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:34:24 PM
The Vikings may come out ahead. I think they got a 1st round pick out of the deal, freed up alot of cap room, and got a decent player in return. Their offensive MVP wasn't Moss anymore, it was Culpepper. Moss just wasn't worth the headache anymore. Now the Raiders have Sapp and Moss in the same locker room. That team could be a quote machine next year.

With Bledsoe, the Cowboys may be able to make it back to the playoffs. I keep hearing rumblings from Dallas that players are starting to get tired of Parcells and his act. If the Cowboys don't make the playoffs next year, Parcells will definitely call it quits.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:47:30 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Say...you wouldn't happen to be a Chiefs fan, now would you JMC??? ;)

LOL my hate for the Raiders shows :p Seriously I hate them about almost as bad as the Yankees. Mostly because of Davis I can't stand that man.

JMK
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:37:21 AM
Saying that your hate for them shows is an understatement. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2005, 10:07:10 AM
LOL true although actually being a Chiefs fan isn't my reason. I hated them back before I started following the Chiefs. I think it started with the way he treated Marcus Allen.

JMK
Feb 25th, 2005, 10:51:25 AM
I can't stand the Raiders because of their dumb-as-rocks kicker Janikowski. What a tool that guy is.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:29:18 PM
I don't like him either although the Raiders have been known to signing alot of ex-felons like him.

jjwr
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:44:41 PM
Well the Pats cut Ty Law so thats another top QB on the market. Odds are they will draft a CB who will go on to get like 5 INT and make huge plays down the stretch for them and next year people will say Ty who? :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 25th, 2005, 10:15:27 PM
Well I am hoping the Chiefs sign him he would do wonders for their secondary. I am worried he might want too much money and then I am worried the Chiefs will pay it because they are so desperate to get good defensive players.

JMK
Feb 25th, 2005, 11:22:39 PM
Nah, give us your 2nd and 4th rounders for Surtain. ;)

Rice is cut, and Mushin Mohammed was also cut by the Panthers today. Everyone is scrambling to get under the cap.

jjwr
Feb 26th, 2005, 12:33:38 PM
Law want too much money? Nah! He only wanted 12 Million from the Pats even though he didn't play for the half hte year, is 31 an they won the SB with a undrafted rookie in his spot.

He's still good no doubt but when he signs elsewhere he may find it hard without the rest of the Pats talented secondary around to help him.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:58:15 PM
Well I don't know if KC will spend that kind of money on him. Although they might be so desparate to fix their defense they might sign Law and trade for Surtain. I would like to see them get Hardwell from Baltimore or Trotter from the Eagles they need a good MLB badly.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:21:48 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Nah, give us your 2nd and 4th rounders for Surtain. ;)

Rice is cut, and Mushin Mohammed was also cut by the Panthers today. Everyone is scrambling to get under the cap.

Mushin was cut? What were the panthers thinking? I hope he gets a good on a good team. He did wonders for me in fantasy football.

Ryan Pode
Feb 27th, 2005, 10:41:45 AM
The difference between Ty Law and Asante Samuel or Randel Gay is playmaking ability. The backups worked nicely, but if you look at where New England would get their turnovers it was from amazing linebacker play, not so much the secondary.

As for the Ravens, hopefully they can resign Gary Baxter as well as Marques Douglas and god willingly Ed Hartwell. Sadly, Hartwell is such a good linebacker under Ray Lewis' shadow. :(

I want Derrick Mason or Randy Moss. :(

JMK
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:18:45 PM
Originally posted by Nathanial K'cansce
Mushin was cut? What were the panthers thinking? I hope he gets a good on a good team. He did wonders for me in fantasy football.

Yep. Apparently the Bears are taking a hard look at him now.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:31:29 PM
It looks like the Bears are going to sign him. Of course they need a QB to throw the ball to him. They won't get anywhere with Grossman as their QB.

jjwr
Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:03:05 AM
Another round of cuts, David Terrell is out there now, Edge has a new agent and the way he's talking it will be tough for him to be back in Indy.

And on a sad note the Pats didn't pick up the option on Troy Brown :( Hopefully he will resign as a FA

JMK
Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:57:28 AM
I guess the Pats really do believe they can get by and win super bowls without anyone except Brady. That's real brave of them IMO. Sooner or later players will stop going there as FA's if they think they'll have zero job security.

jjwr
Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:36:07 AM
Not really, from a strictly business & team sense the move was the right move. He would have counted almost 6 Million against the Cap this year had they not released him which was way too much for a guy who was the 5th WR and a Nickel CB.

My guess is he will resign at a lower # and the team will shore up its defensive backfield with more bodies. Last year the unit got ravaged by injuries so if they can stay even moderatly healthy this year then it won't be a issue and hopefully Brown comes back as a Slot WR and a Punt Returner which he's still good at.

For the resident Chiefs fan heres a good article on CBS Sportsline about how they should not sign Ty Law

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8243415

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:52:56 AM
I read an article similar to that one on the Kansas City Star web page. I don't think they would sign Law if they didn't get a physical on him and check that foot out. They are looking at Rolle, but right now he wants more money then even Law wants, 15 million signing bonus?? I am not too thrilled with Smoot, Lucas will probably stay with Seattle. Surtain wants too much money for an extension which is holding that up. So right now I don't know. I am hoping Rolle comes down on his asking price or Law's foot is okay that is the best I can do right now.
Although it looks like KC might be making an other to Trotter from Philadelphia. He would be a big pick up and help the defense that is for certain. They also have interest in Hartwell, Gold and Bell if they could sign two LB's their defense would be improved a lot.

Ryan Pode
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:06:16 PM
Ravens sign Derrick Mason. Now if they can get Mike Wahle of the Packers to play guard for them and get a run-stopper in say Pat Williams the loss of Hartwell won't hurt.

Figrin D'an
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:32:16 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Ravens sign Derrick Mason. Now if they can get Mike Wahle of the Packers to play guard for them and get a run-stopper in say Pat Williams the loss of Hartwell won't hurt.

Wahle will be one of the most sought-after players in free agency. The Packers know they're going to lose him, because certain teams will throw huge contracts at him. He's a great player, but whomever gets him will definitely have to shell out the cash.

Ryan Pode
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:46:05 PM
Wahle is easily the best offensive linemen in the free-agent market, hence why I want him. Marco Rivera and Rick DeMulling are also top-notch choices as well.

jjwr
Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:17:45 AM
Mason was a good pickup and with Fassel as the Offensive Coordinator maybe the Ravens will actually have a clue how to pass the ball this year.

Figrin D'an
Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:28:20 PM
And it's official... Wahle signs with the Panthers, while Rivera is now a Cowboy.

Losing both was inevitable, but that doesn't make it any easier for Packers fans to swallow.

This upcoming season is going to suck. I'm already feeling ill. :x

Ryan Pode
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:12:52 PM
Thats a huge blow to the Packers. :(

JMK
Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:03:40 PM
I wonder if Favre regrets the decision to stay on another year? If he doesn't now he may later on next season...

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:20:56 PM
The Chiefs are trying to sign both Hartwell and Rolle. If they get those two their defense will be vastly improved.

jjwr
Mar 4th, 2005, 07:06:43 AM
Like that would take much ;)

Favre will definetly have something more to think about before draft day now. Apparently he was quite close with Rivera so his leaving and now a much less effective line may prompt him to walk away.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:11:37 PM
LOL true, there big problems really are LB and corner. They only have one decent CB in Warfield the other guys are horrible. LBs they have really only one average one in Futija. One is injured in Barber, the other Mazwoloski had a serious leg injury two years ago and may never be right. The others are just horrible. The only thing good about the defense is the defensive line. They are solid their. If they could get two LB's, one corner and a saftey from FA and the draft that would greatly improve their defense.

JMK
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:19:13 PM
That's a lot to ask for in one off season though. 4 quality defensive players that can play every down is a lot to ask for a team that has had so many defensive troubles in the past few years.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 4th, 2005, 03:35:27 PM
Have the Fish done anything for the O-line?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2005, 04:36:04 PM
Originally posted by JMK
That's a lot to ask for in one off season though. 4 quality defensive players that can play every down is a lot to ask for a team that has had so many defensive troubles in the past few years.
Well they will sign at least two guys for sure and draft a couple of players. I figure what ever the heck they get out of that they will get probably 4 replacements which will improve the defense. Will it be enough for them to capture the prize? I don't know but it will defintely help them, IMO.

JMK
Mar 4th, 2005, 05:52:10 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Have the Fish done anything for the O-line?

What do you mean? They have a GREAT O-Line! :rolleyes

Seriously, no I don't think they've done squat yet. Nick Saban is getting his coaching staff in place first I think.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2005, 07:53:32 PM
According to Chris Mortensen the Chiefs have signed Rolle. They are trying to find a way to sign Hartwell and fit him in their cap but it might not happen. If they can't I figure they sign Bell from Pittsburg he is a solid LB and will help them but he isn't as good as Hartwell. Still at least they have a CB that should at least help them.

Ryan Pode
Mar 4th, 2005, 11:22:32 PM
SUGKDSKBDHKGDJFLBGDBG

Gary Baxter signs with the Browns. :( Career suicide.

I want Fred Smoot.

Ryan Pode
Mar 7th, 2005, 05:12:56 PM
Eh. I guess I'll settle for Samari Rolle.

jjwr
Mar 7th, 2005, 08:36:37 PM
Not a bad pickup, Ravens could be very good next year if they have Lewis for the whole year and Boller is finally allowed to do something.

Ryan Pode
Mar 7th, 2005, 08:44:18 PM
And Boller will be. All they really need now is a G and a DT.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2005, 10:40:21 PM
The Ravens gave him way too much money. 20 million guarenteed. Between that and his spinal column issue the Chiefs found out about in the physical they had to back off. So I guess it looks like they will probably sign Hartwell then try to get Law at a reduced rate since his sutors have dropped off. I am just not thrilled about Smoot. Law is a much better corner than him.

jjwr
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:26:26 AM
The prices on corners are getting ridiculous, all of the ones signed so far have been for way too much.

Dolphins sign Carter and cut Boston. How could this guy fail a physical? A few years ago he was an absolute freak and now he can't pass a physical.

JMK
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:47:21 AM
Boston is a guy that was definetly on roids or HGH, that much I'm sure of. That could be a reason for his breakdown. He was always about making sure he looked good for his modelling career, and not always making sure he was in game shape. Last pre-season when he wrecked his knee I'm not sure he did all he could to get back into game shape and that's why he's been cut. Plus he's known as an expensive head case, so why not cut him?

I'm not sure I like the Carter signing. 5 years for a 31 year old, 10 year vet? I'll be surprised if he plays through the 3rd year of this deal. He's a good player, but he's not on the upside of his career.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:36:28 AM
I don't think Boston was that good of player just had one good season and people overhyped him.

JMK
Mar 8th, 2005, 01:24:40 PM
Something that had snuck by me is that the Dolphins have also signed DL Vonnie Holliday. I like that move more than the Kevin Carter one. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2005, 01:33:02 PM
I wouldn't be too happy with Holiday. That guy is one of the most inconsisent DL I have seen. He was hardly healthy with the Chiefs and when he was he might get a couple of sacks one game and the next vanish. Man Figrin was right about him back when I said how happy I was the Chiefs signed him

JMK
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:43:11 PM
The way I see it, he was one of the better players on a terrible defense, with gusts up to mediocre. I think he can be a consistent guy on a defense like the Dolphins.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:08:17 PM
Well the best players on the Chiefs defense they still have. Jared Allen (led the team with sacks 12 I think) and Warfield. Holiday hardly played once Allen came on about midseason. He is okay for a back up but his pass rushing skills are horrible. He is nothing more than a runstopper and that is barely. One good thing the Chiefs did today was sign LB Bell from pittsburgh. He is a very good player of course if he stays healthy. I think KC will sign a CB still either Smoot or Law. They still a need a saftey I know they are looking at Sammy Knight.

JMK
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:25:30 PM
Well the Dolphins have a pretty good pass rusher in Jason Taylor...and now Kevin Carter as well depending on whether Saban goes 4-3 or 3-4. ;)

Ryan Pode
Mar 8th, 2005, 06:03:31 PM
On Holliday, when you are cut from one of the worst defenses in the league, you suck.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:43:20 PM
LOL well he was due I think a six million dollar bonus if he was still on the roster on June 1st I think that did it more than anything else. Still I think he is very inconsitent.

JMK
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:02:50 PM
Most guys get cut for money reasons. Look at the guys who've been cut this off season. Not very many of them suck, but they were all due lots of money.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:51:21 PM
Originally posted by JMK
What do you mean? They have a GREAT O-Line! :rolleyes

Seriously, no I don't think they've done squat yet. Nick Saban is getting his coaching staff in place first I think. Understandable, really. I think Wanstead was just... bad at offense. Most of the best teams win by keeping the other team's defense on the field, and if you look at how the minutes were divied up...

JMK
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:39:12 PM
Brett Favre has signed on to play at least one more year. Pretty predictable I guess.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:25:57 PM
KC signed Sammy Knight from Miami. How good is he JMK?

JMK
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:03:27 PM
They say he's one of the better safeties in the league, but from what I saw from him I wasn't terribly impressed. He'll help the Chiefs no doubt, but he's also on the downside of his career.

Jedieb
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:55:42 PM
At safety Knight will definitely be an upgrade for the Chiefs. I've seen him make some big plays for the Fins. I just hope the Chiefs didn't spend too much on him, he's not that good.

Anyone else curious about what Warner will be able to do in Arizona? He had the Giants in the playoff hunt and we all saw how badly they did without him. With those young receivers he may just be able to resurrect his career. Unless Green has another brain cramp and benches him for Shawn King late in the season.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:08:08 PM
They might also get Edge if the Colts trade him. They are the only team with cap room. As for Knight I think KC gave him a decent contract. I think I read 11 million deal spread over 4 or 5 years. That is good for what he is worth. It also looks like KC will sign Law monday. He wants to play there and he is coming in for a physcial I bet they sign him. With that move I think there defense is improved. Now if they can somehow sign Hartwell there defense will be outstanding.

Yog
Mar 11th, 2005, 08:36:51 PM
If the Chiefs can get their defense in order, theire going to be a force to reckon with..

jjwr
Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:14:50 AM
I read a interesting note on the Ty Law & Chiefs situation. Apparently Law still wants decent money but the chiefs aren't sure if they can give it to him. Laws Agent told the chief that there is a standing offer from the Patriots for him to return - 4yrs at $26M. For that price I would gladly have him back but I know he feels he is worth more than that considering he was supposed to make $12M alone this year.

JMK
Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:57:17 AM
12M is just insane, but the 26M for 4 years is still pretty hefty for an aging corner.

jjwr
Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:09:09 AM
True, Boston.com ran a article on that # and said it was unlikely there was such an offer on the table as teams will rarely leave an open ended offer out there like that and give the player a chance to use it as leverage for other teams.

At that price though Law could easily step into a Safety role for the last few years and still be very good in the Free Safety spot, especially for the Pats after Rodney Harrison retires.

JMK
Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:17:16 AM
Would you be willing to pay that much for a safety? Maybe I'm way off, but isn't that steep for a safety?

Ryan Pode
Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:55:07 PM
Depends on the playmaking level of the safety. For an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu yes. For a Rodney Harrison or Donovin Darious, no. So, really, where do you think Ty Law would fit?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:59:42 PM
KC could match that offer and probably give him a better one. But right now they seem to be in wait mode. I guess they could still do the Surtain trade the main problem with that thing is trying to negoate a contract with him, that has been the real stumbling block. And right now there are no really good corners out their for the Chiefs to take not sure what will happen.

Ryan Pode
Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:09:38 PM
If I were the Cheifs, I'd probably go after a CB in the draft. Antrell Rolle & Pac-Man Jones plus Carlos Rodgers. Those are three first round quality guys and the position is deep at the draft. They can probably get at least one considering there are so many good top players, and the ability to trade up is fathomable.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 24th, 2005, 12:19:59 AM
Could any of those guys start? That is my biggest problem with doing that. If they do that I still bet they sign a second teir corner like Andre Dyson somebody who is at least decent and will help the team.

jjwr
Mar 24th, 2005, 09:55:46 AM
Depends on the playmaking level of the safety. For an Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu yes. For a Rodney Harrison or Donovin Darious, no. So, really, where do you think Ty Law would fit?

Um what now? Rodney Harrison & Donavin Darius are both very good Safeties and easily worth that kind of money. Ed Reed is obviously one of the best safeties in the league(if not the best), Polamalu is decent, a bit overrated me thinks.

Outside of Reed there is no safety I would have rather had last year than Rodney Harrison, what doesn't the guy do? Oh he only sealed the Superbowl win, oh and the AFC Divisional Win, oh and he put away the Steelers in the AFC Championship. The guy makes plays, its a joke he didn't get into the Pro Bowl.

Ryan Pode
Mar 24th, 2005, 10:37:18 AM
Rodney Harrison just makes a lot of tackles.

JMK
Mar 24th, 2005, 10:46:56 AM
I hate Rodney Harrison, I think he hold and obstructs more than any player out there, but jjwr is right - he does make plays. Big plays.

jjwr
Mar 24th, 2005, 12:55:21 PM
I never cared for him one way or the other but since he joined the Pats I got a liking to him, he does make some questionable hits but isn't too bad. The guy flat out knows how to play. As for a lot of tackles...yeah, so does Ray Lewis, tackles #'s don't really mean much as it gets skewed from team to team, its the huge plays that count. Reed makes tons of big plays, same for Harrison.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 24th, 2005, 05:38:44 PM
I suspect Law will end up with KC. They are really his only serious suitor. Pittsburgh doesn't want him. Indy hasn't made any moves towards him. The same with the Jets. The only other team interested in him his Cleveland and he has says he wants to be on a contender so if that is true I don't think he will go with the crappy Browns.

Ryan Pode
Mar 25th, 2005, 09:48:09 AM
We're not comapring a Safety to an ILB. As far as Safetys go:

Ed Reed > Rodney Harrison

jjwr
Mar 25th, 2005, 08:51:12 PM
No one said Rodney was better than Ed Reed...just saying tackles alone are a infalted NFL stat, fact is Rodney makes plays when it counts and has a pair of rings to prove it.

JMK
Mar 25th, 2005, 09:59:05 PM
Here's another way to look at it: if you were going to sign one of those 2 guys then you would sign Reed. If you were looking for a guy to play one game, you'd have a much tougher choice because Harrison is always making big plays when it counts most.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 15th, 2005, 10:06:20 AM
Looks like Owens is causing trouble in Philly. Lets say I am not surprised I have to say his conduct was laughable on that news program yesterday. I just laughed as he was crying about how bad the NFL has underpayed him and the Eagles are screwing him from the money he deserves. No idea where this is going although if I was the Eagles I trade the moron.

jjwr
Apr 19th, 2005, 07:01:19 AM
Almost draft time and almost no real buzz about it. Thats what you get without the big marquee names at the top I guess.

NFL Schedules came out, Pats have a very tough road if they want the three-peat.

ESPN now owns Monday Night Football after this year...wow. I didn't see that coming by any means. But they basically traded Sunday Night for Monday night. If tha tmeans no more of their retarded Sunday Night crew I'll be happy! The Monday Night Talent best be good. I say start with Boomer!

JMK
Apr 19th, 2005, 07:41:55 AM
The Dolphins were given the toughest schedule! :x

I hope they lose the sunday night crew as well. I haven't heard Theisman's voice in months and if I ever hear it again it will be too soon.

I hope they somehow retain Michaels & Madden for MNF. Even though it's switched from ABC to ESPN it's still under the Disney umbrella.

jjwr
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:04:17 AM
I'm not too enamored with those guys. If you get the chance read the yearly article by Dr. Z on CNNSI.com and he'll break down all the different announcer teams and he rarely gives those two a good grade. Mainly due to them getting bored with the game being played and discussing other things during the action.

JMK
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:30:30 AM
I think it's more a habit with Madden & Michaels. I'm so used to their voices that it would be hard to imagine anyone else doing MNF. Personally I think I could live without Madden as iconic as he is. He's just the Lord of the Obvious. He's also the one that wanders off in to other things during the game, like Tom Brady or Brett Favre...even though neither are playing in that game. But I think Michaels is still one of the best play by play guys alive.

I like the CBS guys the best (Gumbel's team) for football.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:31:11 AM
I keep Michaels he is the play by play man period. Madden who knows they could go with new blood.

Jedieb
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:32:43 AM
I like the ESPN crew. I don't know what crew will be in the booth when the game switches over to ESPN. I can't believe it, it's the end of an era. I never thought I'd see the day where'd I'd go anywhere but ABC for Monday Night Football. NBC is back in the NFL with the Sunday night game. I wonder who they'll bring in for those games. I don't know if Costas still has any kind of deal with NBC, but he'd be a good choice.

Yog
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:36:13 AM
Even though I only followed NFL for one season, its hard to imagine MNF without M&M.

JMK
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:54:03 AM
I'm inclined to agree with JMC, it may be time to bring in new blood. Madden is really old now, with a switch to a new station it's as good a time as any to get a new face in the booth. As long as it isn't some loser celebrity.

Yog
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:58:06 AM
Well, if they bring in new blood, I hope they wont suck. I dont like the commentators at Fox for example.

JMK
Apr 19th, 2005, 11:59:52 AM
I find Fox too gimmicky and flashy altogether, nevermind the commentators!

Yog
Apr 19th, 2005, 12:10:06 PM
Agreed.

I also really hope they wont hire this guy:
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/sportsnews.wmv

:p

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:42:37 AM
Well I hope you are happy JMK :) KC traded their second round pick for Surtain. They really had no choice it was either that or pray Ty Law was healthy. I guess they took the sure thing. I think it is a good move they really need a CB bad.

JMK
Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:04:33 PM
I'm sad to see Surtain go. He was a very very good CB...but alas he was too expensive. Thanks for #46, I'm sure Saban will make better use of the pick than Wannstedt would have.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:24:41 PM
Well he was going to leave as a free agent too, so it is better off trading him away since 2005 is going to be a rebuilding year. I am hoping Surtain is the final piece in what KC needs to get them to a Super Bowl. They now have two Dolphins in their secondary, since they got Sammy Knight (a move I really love he is a great safety), along with Bell who is a great LB if he can stay healthy. Not sure what they will do with their first round pick. I am guessing passrusher since that is now their greatest area of need. Although if Mike Williams slips to 15, I bet they grab him. As for the rest of the draft, it is one of the most unknowns that I have seen in a long time. Nobody knows what the 49ers will do. They could take Smith, Rodgers, or trade the pick it is a complete unknown right now.

jjwr
Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:33:15 AM
The draft is so up in the air its not even funny. With the Pats the bottom of the first round with no real huge jumping prospects I'm not too interested this year.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:23:43 PM
I liked what KC did although they got lucky. Derrick Johnson who was the best LB in the draft just fell in their laps. I didn't think they could get him. What is sad is he will start next season (although hopefully that will be a good thing). Other shocks, Detriot what are they up to?? They are stockpilling WR's with Mike Williams. If Harrington can ever play to his abilities they should have a heck of an offense. The other two shocks, seattle taking a center?? Has Holgrome lost it? And then Aaron Rogers dropping to Green Bay. Have to say though he went to a great situation he will learn under the best QB in the NFL. And Green Bay got a heck of steal.

Ryan Pode
Apr 24th, 2005, 07:46:05 AM
Seattle and Washington have really lost it. Meanwhile San Diego just made their defense oodles better. And the Ravens took perhaps the best WR in the draft, so I'm happy.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2005, 05:14:18 PM
How about denver? I think Shanahan has lost it. He drafted that horrible RB, Clarret in the third round. That was just a joke I think he will lose his job next year with the way he has run this offseason. I hope they finish in last heh.

JMK
Apr 24th, 2005, 08:23:58 PM
I think with the way Denver drafts & develops RB's they really have nothing to lose by taking Clarett.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2005, 09:42:11 PM
I know but he runs like a DE which isn't a good thing for a RB. I think he is a bust he was overrated at Ohio State. Only had one good year. Besides this was an awful draft for Denver, 3 CBs??

JMK
Apr 25th, 2005, 07:23:03 AM
Looks like Denver is gearing up for another playoff battle with Indianapolis. They want to make sure they have able CB's this time. Good luck with that Shanahan...

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:36:11 AM
CB was not there problem, you have to get pressure on Manning first. And I wouldn't give that much luck with them signing the entire Cleveland Brown defensive line this year which ranked in the bottom in defense.

jjwr
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:13:05 AM
But Denver has the best CB in the league...yeah right! Drafting 3 though? That seem a bit of a reach, they better hope all those Browns castoffs take some sort of special potion that makes them better or they are going to need all the CB's.

As for Clarett, I'm pretty sure you will see a 1,000yd season out of him down the road, playing in Denver its almost guaranteed.

Pats draft was pretty lackluster, some solid players but no one spectacular. Oddly enough they did some massive trading and picked up extra 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks for next year. So next year they have a 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5...wow!

JMK
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:13:38 AM
Well nobody puts pressure on Manning. He's going to get the ball out of his hands, it's all about stopping the guys that catch the pass. They have a half dozen options on the field and I think you need some speedy guys to limit their productivity after making the catch.

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:17:36 AM
well I beg to differ cough Patriots cough cough, if you guys in his face it makes it harder to get the ball to the defenders. Also if you sack him and put him on his butt pretty quick, he can't do much.

JMK
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:31:37 AM
Ok, the Pats are a special case, they do a good job of stopping anyone...hence the 3 superbowls, but Manning's stats speak for themselves. 49TD's this year....a lot of people didn't put him on his butt, and it wasn't for a lack of trying. I would think it's easier to let Manning throw and then limit the damage that the receivers do.

Ryan Pode
Apr 26th, 2005, 04:55:37 PM
More than half of those TDs came in a dome and on Astroturf as well. If Denver can get a game with them on grass they might be able to stop them. If the Ravens played on grass they could have stopped Peyton and we get our shot this year... if we get some youth on CB.

TheHolo.Net
Apr 29th, 2005, 07:18:16 AM
This thread is long enough now that it is getting to be a strain on the Data Base. To continue this thread please start a new one and I will make a link to the new thread in this post.

This thread is now locked.