PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Commercials: Winners and Losers?

Ibrahm Demir
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:09:49 PM
I'm an Advertising Masters Student and I thought it might be fun to do a thread about what Commercials people liked, what commercials people didn't like and what commercial did people make the comment; "Well there's 1.5 million down the drain..."

Winners in my book:
Budlight - Parchuteless Skydiving
Budlight - I got to work on my fantasies
Pepsi - P.Diddy rolls in the Pepsi delivery truck
Fed Ex - Burt Reynolds Groin Kick

Losers
Honda Ridgline
MBNA - Gladys Knight playing Rugby.
Pepsi - Stayin' Alive (though the addition of Queer Eye's Style Guru was a hilarious suprise to an otherwise, ooh look Celebrities ad)
Silestone - What the hell is Silestone and Dennis Rodman ceased being relevant as a celebrity about 4 years ago.

Well there's 1.5 Million down the drain...

Cadillac - Love the cars, hate the commercial

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 7th, 2005, 01:25:32 PM
I loved the Budlight one where the pilot jumped out the window. Unexpected - and hilarious!

I was marginally pleased with the Budlight with all the different animals showing up to be Clydesdales. I liked the donkey one last year much better.

All in all I think Budlight was the big winner again.

The GoDaddy.com commercial was naughty. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 7th, 2005, 09:46:10 PM
How about that Mustang commerical that was horrible. Why did they show that one three times for???
My favorite was the visa ones the one with Marvel comic book characters and the one with all the cartoon commericial characters they were funny, IMO.

Rutabaga
Feb 7th, 2005, 10:03:43 PM
The one commercial that made me laugh out loud--and I mean belly laugh out loud--was the Ameriquest commercial where the guy was trying to make a romantic dinner for his girlfriend and the cat spilled the spaghetti sauce on the floor. The punchline to that one was priceless. :lol

I also liked Ameriquest's commercial earlier on where the guy was talking on his cellphone at the Mom and Pop store and telling his friend on the phone that he was getting robbed, and Mom and Pop thought he was talking to them, and mayhem then ensued. I liked that one because I've had that happen before, when people have been talking on cell phones but you couldn't tell for sure if they were actually talking to you or not. :)

I also liked the Burt Reynolds/dancing bear one and the Visa one with the Marvel superheroes, but I thought the GoDaddy.com one was pretty obvious and just didn't do much for me at all.

And yeah, a huge thumbs down for the Mustang one with the guy frozen behind the wheel. Why oh why did they end up showing that one at back to back commercial breaks at one point? Yuck! :x

Sarr Koon
Feb 8th, 2005, 01:33:12 AM
The Budlight one where the pilot jumps out of the airplane is awesome

I also liked the one that had Javon Walker, Charles Woodson, and Shaun Alexander sitting on a couch and watching American Idol.

And I agree about the Mustaing one, wtf is up with that? Back to back no less, I wanted to leave the room.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2005, 10:29:24 AM
It was horrible and stupid. Anybody stupid enough to leave the top down in -20 degree weather deserves to freeze to death. I also liked the one with Joe Montana trying to cheer up Ben Rothelsenberger and then the rest of the pro players all singing Tomorrow that was great.

Ryan Pode
Feb 8th, 2005, 03:36:17 PM
They did that one last year. Different people.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 8th, 2005, 04:45:54 PM
I thought it was just funnier with Montana, hey what can say he was my childhood idol :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 8th, 2005, 05:25:20 PM
I love the "tomorrow" commercial for the NFL - loved it last year, will most likely love it next year. "Tomorrow - perfect record again"

Plus, all the football players singing is great. :p

Sanis Prent
Feb 8th, 2005, 08:29:58 PM
IIRC they do the "tomorrow" one every single year.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 9th, 2005, 01:17:11 PM
Yeah that's what I thought too.