PDA

View Full Version : The Voice of Grievous

Darth McBain
Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:10:30 PM
Just got this from the SW Homing Beacon...

When General Grievous barks his orders, his minions scurry to carry out their tasks. His is a commanding presence, and his fearsome demeanor leaves no room for questions. His implacable metallic skeleton gives him the aspect of a droid, but hidden inside the armored carapace is an unwholesome, living being. To remind viewers of this inner Grievous, his words are occasionally punctuated with a hard, wet hacking cough -- suggesting that Grievous is literally rotten to the core.

Providing the voice of Grievous is Matthew Wood, whose history with Star Wars has been mostly behind-the-scenes. Though Wood is an actor, his contribution to the prequel trilogy has been primarily as Supervising Sound Editor. His access to the Episode III production process may have given him a head's up that casting was underway for the part, but the use of a pseudonym ensured that insider status didn't factor into the selection process.

On set, Duncan Young read Grievous' lines for the benefit of the actors. His voice was never intended to make it into the final film, and it was edited out of the mix early on along with much of the production audio. Ben Burtt and others supplied temporary voices on the track, all heavily modulated to be appropriate for a cyborg general.

"We put out a casting package of those modulated voices, looking for voice actors," says Wood. "Chris Scarabosio processed each one, and we would play these for George for him to evaluate. We went through a lot of different people, and on the last package we sent out, I put my own voice on there, though I didn't put my name on it."

With the pseudonym "Alan Smithee," Wood's reading of Grievous was played for Lucas without introduction, and he selected it. "It was great, but then I thought, 'should I tell him that it's me?'" recounts Wood. "When George found out, he said 'Great, let's record him tomorrow.'"

In a three-hour recording session, Wood laid down all of Grievous lines. "He's definitely an evil character. He's the leader of the droid army, but not a droid. He feels things; he feels things extremely, I would say. It's a lot of yelling, and shouting out orders, so it had a lot of drill sergeant to it."

While studying acting at American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, Wood came across a website that offered samples of various accents to help actors hear and mimic patterns of speech from around the world. "You could hear the same line of dialogue read in different accents," he says. "I liked the sound of the Eastern European and Romanian accents. Also, I had just come back from Prague, so I had that in mind for Grievous."

In the finished film, Grievous' voice will undergo some sort of processing. Currently, it is lowered in pitch and has a ring modulation to it. That may change as the audio mix is still being put together. Wood offers the caveat that everything may still change, having witnessed all the prequels being made. "But I did also record Grievous for the Episode III videogame. I did 125 lines of dialogue for that."

Sounds cool. I know for a while there was a rumor going around that the voice would be done by John Rhys-Davies. While I like him and think he's got a great voice, I was hoping that it wouldn't be him. If it was, every time Grievous spoke I'd be thinking "That's Sallah/Treebeard/Gimli".

I also like that they seem to be trying to emphasize that Grievous is alive. It seems like a lot of the buzz I've heard is that he's more droid than alive, but to have a sentient, malevolent, living presence "behind the mask" so to speak, makes Grievous much more evil and terrifying IMHO...

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:07:08 PM
I am cool with it, still would have liked Oldman although I guess he had his reasons for not doing it.

Yog
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:23:53 PM
Its hard to say how evil and terrifying he will sound before you actually heard his voice though. I really hope they succeed in making him a convincing villain. So far, Lucas done a great job with the villains in the prequels. They just need more screentime, IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2005, 12:18:55 AM
Well they are also going to manipulate the voice so it might sound different than his actually voice. I agree about the Prequel villians from Darth Maul, Jango Fett and Count Dooku he has done a good job there.

JMK
Feb 4th, 2005, 08:03:09 AM
More screentime would have been key for the villains of the prequels, but there's so many characters in the SW universe that it's too difficult to give everyone the screentime they need.

Who knows, maybe less is more when it comes to these guys. I think TPM and AotC would have benefitted from more Maul and Dooku, but what do I know?

As for Grievous' voice, it will be warped by Ben Burtt & his team to the point where the actual actor won't recognize his own voice. I'm sure they will do a good job with it, my fear with Grievous is that Lucas again goes to the 'let's make him uber flashy and capable of doing all kinds of crazy things, just because we can!"