PDA

View Full Version : Homeworld 1 and 2

TieFighterPilot181st
Feb 1st, 2005, 06:08:34 PM
Yeah, just thought i'd start a thread for the homeworld games. Both of them are really good. The original was the best RTS space combat game of its time and i still love it because you can download the Star Wars mod so you can play with all the star wars ships.

The second one is just as good, the graphics are nice, and the AI is much better. I dont know if there is a mod for this one yet but i hope there will be.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 1st, 2005, 07:15:17 PM
Homeworld (original) was, in my opinion, one of the greatest games ever. Its story was driving, the graphics beautiful, the controls simple, the combat stunning. Maybe some people might have thought it slow paced (it's an RTS, afterall) but I felt it was stimulating, challenging, and held my attention.

Eh, too bad I lost the CD :) Still have to buy Homeworld 2, have been putting it off because my life will completely be put on hold as soon as I buy the game. With midterms, that's a no, no. I'm considering getting it this saturday, though... hmm... we'll see.

TieFighterPilot181st
Feb 1st, 2005, 11:33:20 PM
Homeworld one being slow was a good thing. It meant that you needed strategy. Other games like command and conquer while they are good dont require that much strategy.

You definitely have to get HW2, although i warn you that it is very addicting. The AI is a lot better in this one.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 6th, 2005, 09:26:48 AM
So, a little bit of googling found this http://warlords.swrebellion.com/ ;) HW2 SW mod. Going to go buy the game today.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 6th, 2005, 10:25:43 AM
Originally posted by TieFighterPilot181st
Homeworld one being slow was a good thing. It meant that you needed strategy. Other games like command and conquer while they are good dont require that much strategy.

You definitely have to get HW2, although i warn you that it is very addicting. The AI is a lot better in this one. Oh, I wouldn't say that. If you agree to a 10 minute truce cracking the other player's defense becomes quite a task.

TieFighterPilot181st
Feb 6th, 2005, 11:25:45 AM
Well if you play with the unit caps on and you don't have that truce then its more strategy.

Phantom
Feb 6th, 2005, 01:23:21 PM
At the risk of sounding like a retard, what is homeworlds?

Telan Desaria
Feb 6th, 2005, 07:59:25 PM
A Real-Time Strategy Game allowing one to harvest resources, research technology, build warships, and conquer a given area of space. It, unlike many games, is three dimensional.

Phantom
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:28:03 AM
So its kinda like Age of Empires, but for Star Wars?

TieFighterPilot181st
Feb 7th, 2005, 02:45:44 AM
No, the original Homeworld has nothing to do with Star Wars. When I speak of that i mean that there exists a mod to make the ships look like the ones from star wars.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:14:02 PM
Bought the game... so beautiful. You can't even really tell it was published in '03. Also, downloaded the SW mod, but I'm waiting to finish a couple more single player missions before I load that up.

TieFighterPilot181st
Feb 7th, 2005, 06:15:40 PM
When you do start playing with the Star Wars mod will you tell me how it goes so i can decide whether to get it or not?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 7th, 2005, 06:34:17 PM
Why not just download it and find out for yourself?

Khendon Sevon
Feb 7th, 2005, 07:39:43 PM
I couldn't hold back, I played it. The AI isn't great, it's designed mainly for multiplayer. The graphics are awesome, the action intense. I give it my seal of approval.

As a note, installation takes a bit of fiddling. It will install into a /homeworld2 folder and if you direct it to the folder prior to that (my case C:\games\) it creates a data folder and some files that then need to be moved into the homeworld folder... (If you point it to C:\games\homeworld2 then it creates it in C:\games\homeworld2\homeworld2 - weird, eh?) and you have to relink the icon on your desktop, if you choose to have them there.

TieFighterPilot181st
Feb 7th, 2005, 09:22:21 PM
wow, that sounds complicated, but ill try it because it seems to be worth the effort.