PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Four Trailer

JMK
Jan 28th, 2005, 10:26:59 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantastic_four/FF_large.html

Looks...fantastic! ;)

JediBoricua
Jan 28th, 2005, 11:59:41 PM
My sentiments exactly are well expressed here (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2005-01-24&res=l).

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 29th, 2005, 01:23:57 AM
Still not coniviced I think Batman Begins looks like 100 times better.

Yog
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:20:45 AM
Comic book fans will probably be disappointed, as I hear its not faitful to the books, especially in regards to the story and origin of Doc Doom. Personally, I just think everything I saw in that trailer indicates this movie is going to tank horribly.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:38:03 AM
Ew :( At least the 1994 version ( http://imdb.com/title/tt0109770/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj 0wfHE9ZmFudGFzdGljIGZvdXJ8aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=3;ft =21;fm=1 ) was hilariously bad. This just looks bad.

Jedieb
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:27:56 PM
Good gawd, Alba is a hot!!!!! But this movie still looks like it's going to suck.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:33:27 PM
Yeah it has that bomb tag starting already. This is going to hurt future Marvel films, IMO. On the other hand if Batman Begins does well that could spell we will have a rush of DC films.

Gav Mortis
Jan 29th, 2005, 07:30:04 PM
Saw this trailer a few days ago and decided there was no need to bring it to the forum's attention. It looks terrible.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 29th, 2005, 10:12:12 PM
I, like always, have the reverse opinion on most on this board.

I think this movie will be great. I will see it in theaters enthusiastically.

Julian McMahon will rock as doom.

PS:

The trailer music is awesome. I want it.

Shawn
Jan 31st, 2005, 11:54:06 AM
I hate the casting, I hate the changes to the plot (ie, giving Dr. Doom superpowers), but it looks like it might be marginally entertaining otherwise.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jan 31st, 2005, 03:13:27 PM
should be hella sweet. Marvel has yet to truly disappoint me with any movie.

James Prent
Jan 31st, 2005, 03:16:08 PM
I thought it looked cool - but I really don't know all that much about the Fantastic Four.

JMK
Jan 31st, 2005, 03:17:33 PM
Originally posted by James Prent
I thought it looked cool - but I really don't know all that much about the Fantastic Four.

That pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about it.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jan 31st, 2005, 03:23:17 PM
i just know that there is four of them and that they are fantastaic. And jessica alba is hot.

Jedieb
Jan 31st, 2005, 08:22:03 PM
I hate that they're making such drastic changes to the origins of the FF. They're some of Marvel's oldest characters and I'd rather they stay as close to their origins as possible. I really don't like any of the Doom changes I've heard. And why the hell isn't Johnny blonde?

The best FF stories I've read these last few years have been in Twisted Toyfare. Reed's clueless, Sue's a ho, Ben's a jerk, and Doom is a total loser. Ah Toyfare, how I adore thee....

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 31st, 2005, 09:42:49 PM
Yeah I am hoping this movie just bombs like I think it will. I mean compare this film to Batman Begins which comes out two weeks before this one. Batman has one of the best cast assembled and they are sticking to his orgins and not doing anything crazy unless you count the Batmobile :p

ReaperFett
Feb 1st, 2005, 11:16:42 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Comic book fans will probably be disappointed, as I hear its not faitful to the books, especially in regards to the story and origin of Doc Doom.
Doom seems very Ultimate Doom.

At the end of the day, we saw nothing except a few SFX shots, so it is hard to say. Thing looks great, Doom looks decent, Reed looks the part, all played by good actors.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:51:30 PM
I wouldn't call Alba or that guy playing the Human Torch good actors though. To me the casting is blah.

ReaperFett
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:34:45 PM
People said that about Spider-Man and X-Men too :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:10:43 PM
You see X-Men had a great cast they had two oscar nominees in Paquin and Mckellan, Stewart and Berry were well known at the time and Bruce Davidson who was a well known face in movies. Spiderman had Macqure and Dunst both very well known at the time and William Defoe was a big actor and had a supporting cast with people like Cliff Roberinson was just a great actor. There is nobody in F4 who fits that. Alba is known but not for her acting. Chicklas has done nothing outside TV. The same with the guy playing Doom, the torch actor has done some horrible teen movies. Finally, the lead hasn't done anything big except King Arthur which was a Box office disapointment. I just don't see the cast exciting especially considering I hear that the script is horrible.

Shawn
Feb 4th, 2005, 01:02:06 AM
I still say Simon Templeman should have been cast as Doom. And someone who doesn't look like a supermodel for Sue.

Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
Feb 4th, 2005, 07:05:09 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
You see X-Men had a great cast they had two oscar nominees in Paquin and Mckellan, Stewart and Berry were well known at the time and Bruce Davidson who was a well known face in movies. Spiderman had Macqure and Dunst both very well known at the time and William Defoe was a big actor and had a supporting cast with people like Cliff Roberinson was just a great actor. There is nobody in F4 who fits that. Alba is known but not for her acting. Chicklas has done nothing outside TV. The same with the guy playing Doom, the torch actor has done some horrible teen movies. Finally, the lead hasn't done anything big except King Arthur which was a Box office disapointment. I just don't see the cast exciting especially considering I hear that the script is horrible.

You leave Chicklas out of this. He's the best thing that F4 has going for it.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2005, 08:59:19 AM
I thought Irons should have been Doom he has the look and voice, IMO.

Jedi Master Carr
May 20th, 2005, 09:45:30 PM
Who else thought the trailer attached to Star Wars looked like crap? I have no hope for this film. I hate what they are doing to Doom, most of the actors look awful (the guy playing Torch is just horrible in the trailer and Alba is not far behind), and plus the trailer makes the movie look boring. I think next time I go see Episode three I might arrive late just to miss it :p

Lilaena De'Ville
May 20th, 2005, 10:54:47 PM
I thought it looked good. :) The part where the truck hits the Thing and goes flying up was pretty cool.

AmazonBabe
May 20th, 2005, 11:45:15 PM
I saw the FF and BB trailers before ROTS. The FF trailer looked cool, but it didn't get me all hyped. The BB trailer on the other hand got me hyped.

But then again, I have a bias towards DC and Batman in general. ^_^;

JMK
May 21st, 2005, 07:06:03 AM
I still think it looks cool. I don't appreciate the fact that they're changing Doom's origins but that's the way it goes sometimes. I'll still see it, but it probably won't be a priority.

Morgan Evanar
May 21st, 2005, 08:30:15 AM
The only casting they got really right was Johnny. The movie looks like a popcorn flick at best. Alba doesn't look like Sue Storm at all. Her skin tone is wrong etc.

Jedieb
May 21st, 2005, 11:00:06 PM
I was surprised by the FF trailer. It looks halfway decent. Don't think I'll be catching it in theaters, but it looks like it's worth a look on DVD. The WB BB footage I saw the other day looked amazing. I'll definitely be taking the boy to see that.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2005, 09:25:03 AM
Yeah Batman looks like the real deal, that is the next movie I can't wait for now.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 9th, 2005, 10:22:11 PM
I saw this movie last night.

The Thing made the movie.

It was an good popcorn flick, and that's probably about it. I am not familiar with the comic book, but I think they might have taken liberties with Dr. Doom to 'spice' things up. But, I don't know.

Plot holes? Yeah there were a few.

And yes, the ending indicates a wide open door for a sequel if this one does well.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 10th, 2005, 01:34:27 PM
And yes, the ending indicates a wide open door for a sequel if this one does well.

Starting to get really tired of this phenomenon. In general I've stopped going to movies, but stuff like this just makes me shrug and keep walking.

I saw Star Trek Nemesis again the other day, and I was surprised at how lackluster it really seemed. I'm of the opinion that Hollywood should get back to telling better stories and finding the right people for a role instead of just making bank. But, I know they won't and that disappoints me.

JMK
Jul 10th, 2005, 06:59:33 PM
If Daredevil is the Pinto of the comic book movie adaptations, and Batman Begins, X-1, X-2 or Spider Man is the Cadillac, then in my opinion FF was no more than a Toyota Tercel. I was let down by this movie. I had pretty high hopes for it, but they weren't met.

The X-Games stuff from Johnny Storm was needless pandering to teens, Doctor Doom was lame, and can anyone for one second believe that Sue & Johnny Storm can be as young as they are and have the positions in life they do? I can't.

I'll agree with LD on one thing though, Thing saves whatever redeeming points there are to this movie. He's by far the best part of the movie.

There was also some really shoddy effects work, particularly on Reed's stretchablility.

Oh well, maybe they'll do better in part 2.

Jedieb
Jul 20th, 2005, 05:45:42 PM
The X-Games stuff from Johnny Storm was needless pandering to teens, Doctor Doom was lame, and can anyone for one second believe that Sue & Johnny Storm can be as young as they are and have the positions in life they do? I can't.
I'll take Jessica Alba in any position Hollywood is willing to give me.>D

I took the boy to see it yesterday. JMK's car analogy pretty much sums it up for me. Not great, but not horrible. There was some good stuff in there. I think Chiklis was great as The Thing and I thought Johnny was the smart^%^ he needed to be. It was a half way decent guilty pleasure.

JMK
Jul 21st, 2005, 06:49:55 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb

True dat.

Marceloi
Jul 21st, 2005, 07:04:02 AM

Even tho shes not actually that good looking except when spak filler is appied and has no talent to speak of? No thanks.

ReaperFett
Jul 21st, 2005, 10:41:03 AM
Really enjoyed it, a lot of fun. I thought Reed, Johnny and Ben were perfectly casted, and Alba wasn't too bad as Sue. As for Doom.....I liked him. I couldn't see how they could do him just like in the comics.

To compare with Batman, I would say that BB was the better movie. However, I'd probably rewatch F4 more.

Serena Laran
Jul 21st, 2005, 02:28:06 PM
(is LD)

I've already seen it twice, because we took a nephew to it the other day. Surprisingly, it wasn't any worse the second time.

Johnny Storm is really funny, I love the bit at the beginning where Ben Grimm is waking up and Johnny tries to keep him from looking in the mirror.

The plot holes were a bit more glaring the second time: At first it took Ben three+ days to turn into the Thing, and then at the end it takes... five minutes? Mr. Fantastic makes his stretchiness worse by expermenting on himself, and then... is all better again?

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2005, 02:37:34 PM
Originally posted by Serena Laran
At first it took Ben three+ days to turn into the Thing, and then at the end it takes... five minutes?

wait.. what... he turns into the Thing? as in.. he can just, change from behing normal into Thing? when he wants to?

my mind is blown

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2005, 02:43:13 PM
No no, it's not like that. You'll have to watch it. He can't turn it on and off like Johnny and the fire.

ReaperFett
Jul 21st, 2005, 03:28:36 PM
I really think that you couldn't get a more sport on Johnny or Ben in both writing and acting. Their interactions made me smile :)

Also, Doom. They pretty much set it up so that in a sequel, he will be the Doom of the comics. I still say they couldn't have done that Doom in a movie. But two? Looks like they can manage it.

Jedieb
Jul 21st, 2005, 08:49:57 PM
Wow, almost a 60% drop. Damn, that's even worse than Daredevil. Hopefully, it'll age better.

ReaperFett
Jul 21st, 2005, 09:43:56 PM
Wow, almost a 60% drop. Damn, that's even worse than Daredevil. Hopefully, it'll age better.
It's almost blow for blow identical to X-Men though. Drops and take.

Jedieb
Jul 21st, 2005, 09:52:31 PM
Neither one of those hit that close to 60% and they both had bigger openings. Just by numbers, FF isn't going to be nearly as solid as any of the X-Men flicks. It's probably going to crawl past $100M the same way DD did.

JMK
Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:38:33 AM
100M for FF to me says a lot about the movie. It's performing similar to DD, and with good reason IMO. Both are near, or at the bottom of the comic-to-movie adaptation bin.

ReaperFett
Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:54:05 AM
Neither one of those hit that close to 60% and they both had bigger openings. Just by numbers, FF isn't going to be nearly as solid as any of the X-Men flicks. It's probably going to crawl past $100M the same way DD did.
No Eb, what I'm saying is they are nearly identical :)

OPENING WEEKEND
F4 - $56,061,504
X - $54,471,475

SECOND WEEKEND DROP
F4 - -59.4%
X - -56.9%

COMPARISON FROM THIS TIME IN X-MENS RUN
F4 - $107,944,478
X- $107,737,334

Almost identical.

And if BOM is right, F4 will make $11m in weekend 3 while X-Men made $12m.

Jedieb
Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:59:53 AM
I don't think it'll hit $157 like X-Men did. And it's not going to have the same kind of word of mouth or sequel potential that X-Men did. There's just too much negative buzz around it. But it's certainly not going to languish and drop like a rock the way DD did.

ReaperFett
Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:13:23 PM
Oh I agree it wont hit $157m. I'm thinking about $140m. Still a good amount.

JMK
Jul 22nd, 2005, 12:35:47 PM
As has been stated before, 150 million is the new 100 million. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 23rd, 2005, 04:02:38 PM
I went to see War Of The Worlds tonight, but it was sold out, so I had to settle for this.

I went in with low expectations and while I wasn't blown away, I was pleasantly suprised. As has been said, the writing of Ben and Johnny seemed well done, both providing a lot of laughs. It was decent light entertainment.

I was kind of suprised that the machine Reed built wasn't destroyed at some point near the end, after Ben had turned back into the Thing... I guess they will just have to deal with that in the next movie.

jjwr
Jul 24th, 2005, 09:25:30 AM
I caught both War and F4 tonigt at the Drive Ins. While I've read comics regularly for about 15 years now F4 was never one I read but I was also pleased with the movie.

Like everyone else the Johnny & Ben interactions were great. Ben was just awesome as well, very well done on that part.

I gotta be honest, I didn't like Doom as much, he was ok near the end and that guy was a good actor but the voice didn't fit, like with Ben the voice should have been changed some as it wasn't nearly menacing enough.

ReaperFett
Nov 9th, 2005, 09:19:55 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=fantasticfour.htm

Stuck right with X-Men in the end :)

Jedieb
Nov 9th, 2005, 11:43:26 AM
Yep it did, it avoided tanking like DD. Good for FF. Although if you figure in inflation it came up almost $20M short of X-Men. But that's just nitpicking. ;)