PDA

View Full Version : RotS Opening Crawl - Spoilers

JMK
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:00:55 PM
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/f20050126/indexp2.html

I'm sure this is bound to change a little, and it's not in the style that were used to seeing, but at the OS they have all the opening crawls. I was very surprised to see that they had posted the one for Episode 3. Not that there's anything there of REAL substance, but if you know nothing of the movie to this point, then I guess you're just as well to stay away.

LightKnight
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:30:40 PM
JMK, would it be against the rules or better yet Mean spirited too start a confirmed spoiler thread? One that would tempt all the non spoiled and maybe bring them closer too the Darkside
:evil :wings :darkangel

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:05:44 PM
There is one small spoiler but other that nothing huge there. It sounds cool and similar to the others.

Yog
Jan 27th, 2005, 05:55:32 AM
Wow, that crawler makes it sound really bad.. :(

JMK
Jan 27th, 2005, 08:13:17 AM
Originally posted by LightKnight
JMK, would it be against the rules or better yet Mean spirited too start a confirmed spoiler thread? One that would tempt all the non spoiled and maybe bring them closer too the Darkside
:evil :wings :darkangel

Yes, yes it would. ;)

As for the opening crawl, I think that the first paragraph is a little weak, but the second and third are just as 'Star Wars' as the other movies. Though if you look at the crawls for TPM and RotS, the dispatching of 2 Jedi thing gets a little repetitive. It didn't really go so smoothly in the end when they dispatched 2 Jedi in TPM, why are they employing the same tactic again?

Darth McBain
Jan 27th, 2005, 09:30:49 AM
Sweet!!! I like it. I agree, JMK, that the first paragraph seems a little different than we're used to - but overall I like it.

JMK
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:20:17 AM
And even if it is just the opening crawl, are we that obsessed & nit picky to critisize the movie because of the crawl???

Yog
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:30:34 AM
The first paragraph is not only weak. It could have been a fitting introduction for a SW comedy spoof/parody.. its THAT bad.

The only thing I like about the opening crawl, there is little mention of the sleep inducing politics, so maybe its a sign there will be less of that

JMK
Jan 27th, 2005, 10:50:56 AM
Ok, I'll just get it over with and type the thing here:

War! The Republic is crumbling
under attacks by the ruthless
Sith Lord, Count Dooku.
There are heroes on both sides.
Evil is Everywhere.

In a stunning move, the
fiendish droid leader,
General Grievous, has swept into
the Republic capital and kidnapped
Chancellor Palpatine, leader of
the Galactic Senate.

As the Separatist Droid Army
attempts to flee the besieged
capital with their valuable
hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a
desperate mission to rescue the
captive Chancellor.

The first paragraph blows. Plain and simple. It hurt me just to type it. It doesn't make sense.

I've never seen Count Dooku as ruthless, maybe that's just me.
Secondly, Star Wars is, and always has been a battle of good vs evil, with the characters' affiliations clearly defined. The sentence There are heroes on both sides runs in direct opposition to what Star Wars is. I have to believe that will be changed before its release.

Evil is Everywhere Not bad on it's own, but it does not fit in to the paragraph, especially if there are heroes on both sides Why not also include good is everywhere. The paragraph just doesn't make sense.

And more to the point: What heroes are on the 'bad' side?

The second and third paragraphs are fine, even good in my opinion. Well, good in the Star Wars vein.

Jedieb
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:11:10 PM
I actually like the first paragraph. You could interpret it show how members of the future rebellion will emerge from both the Seperatists and the Republic. Plus, "War!" is a great intro. Much stronger than some of the other crawls. Overall, it feels like a SW intro and I like it.

I've never seen Count Dooku as ruthless, maybe that's just me.
I think he's plenty ruthless. He's a Sith after all. By this point in the war he and Sidious have brought about the deaths of millions. Even if he's being used by Sidious to an extent, he's not being forced to shake the Republic to its knees and kill millions in the process.

The one new thing I learned was that the Dooku and Grievous had attacked Coruscant and kidnapped Palpy from the planet. I had thought that the kidnapping had occurred elsewhere and that Grievous and Dooku had brought Palpy to Coruscant to help shield them during the attack. The idea that they're trying to escape with him and pound Coruscant in the process makes more sense.

Everything I've seen so far has me convinced this will be the best of the Prequels. Not the greatest film ever mind you, but a very good movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2005, 09:21:09 PM
Yeah I like the crawl too Jedieb I love that first word. I think the opening paragraph is like you said Jedieb, which is why I like it.

JMK
Jan 28th, 2005, 08:00:54 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I actually like the first paragraph. You could interpret it show how members of the future rebellion will emerge from both the Seperatists and the Republic. Plus, "War!" is a great intro. Much stronger than some of the other crawls. Overall, it feels like a SW intro and I like it.

I think he's plenty ruthless. He's a Sith after all. By this point in the war he and Sidious have brought about the deaths of millions. Even if he's being used by Sidious to an extent, he's not being forced to shake the Republic to its knees and kill millions in the process.

Everything I've seen so far has me convinced this will be the best of the Prequels. Not the greatest film ever mind you, but a very good movie.

I like the first word. It sets the tone with 3 letters. From there though, I can't get with it. Who on the separatist side could be a hero, even when the rebellion forms?

The reason I never saw Dooku as ruthless is because once he took down Anakin and Obi Wan, he looked like he was sort of saddened by what had just happened. Plus the fact that he is being played by Sidious makes him more tragic to me than ruthless.

I agree with you on one thing though: From what I have seen and heard, this does indeed look like it will be the best of the prequels.

Jedieb
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:36:36 PM
I know not everyone is into the EU, and there's plenty that makes you want to hold your nose, but if you're into spoilers then Labryinth of Evil is just what your looking for. It leads you right to the crawl. I'm not a fast reader by any account, but I tore through the book in 3 days because I enjoyed it so much.

JMK
Jan 28th, 2005, 02:42:09 PM
That's the book I was referring to in the Clone Wars DVD thread....

Yog
Jan 28th, 2005, 03:43:46 PM
Originally posted by JMK I agree with you on one thing though: From what I have seen and heard, this does indeed look like it will be the best of the prequels.

I really, really hope so. Some of the spoilers, most notably the first trailer indicates it may be the best prequel movie. Question is though, how it will match up with the original trilogy movies. I have an ominious suspicion RotS will just reaffirm the image of prequels being the inferior trilogy. AOTC was pretty decent though, so any improvement on that can only be a step in the right direction.

JMK
Jan 28th, 2005, 04:31:51 PM
Well there's little debate at this point that there will be 2 separate trilogies as far as styles go. Whether or not it was intentional, or a sign of the technological times, that's another debate.

The prequels will be the more 'glossy' of the trilogies while the OT will be viewed as the more gritty.