PDA

View Full Version : Officer who beat boy gets $1.6m

Dutchy
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:08:24 PM
A US policeman who was filmed punching a black youth and slamming him against a car has been awarded $1.6m (£890,000) in a race discrimination case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4190965.stm

:\

Telan Desaria
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:24:05 PM
The criminal was beaten. I fail to see the injustice in that? These men were dismissed for doing something bad to a criminal someone who obviously wronged someone else.

Dutchy
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:30:14 PM
Agreed.

But a $1.6m reward?

Telan Desaria
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:33:02 PM
I agree - -a little far fetched. Then again, they never should have been fired,

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:35:54 PM
Originally posted by Dutchy
Agreed.

But a $1.6m reward?

Seems about fitting for deprivation of employment and benefits, actually.

JMK
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:36:19 PM
First of all, what did the kid do? Maybe he should have been beaten.

That being said, it sounds like the cops did go overboard. They've got pepper spray and tasers. Use them.

Telan Desaria
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:39:47 PM
But sometimes it is better to exact a more personal form of justice with ones hands.

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2005, 06:58:50 PM
Originally posted by JMK
First of all, what did the kid do? Maybe he should have been beaten.

That being said, it sounds like the cops did go overboard. They've got pepper spray and tasers. Use them.

Martial force is also a less-than-lethal option, so I fail to see how it is "overboard".

Telan Desaria
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:20:19 PM
As you know, in America i am now in law enforcement. As you know, we carry pepper spray - -it is more effective than mase and works faster. LEt me tell you, to be certified in it you must be sprayed with it. And OW

I have never experienced a more burning pain in my life. It felt as if my face was aflame and my eyes would not open. I was not able to see for 30 mins. I was in a great deal of pain.

The problem with it is that depending on wind conditions the form you use can hurt you as well as your target. So I agree with his decision to subdue the criminal with an open handed thrust. It is on the use of force continuum.

I fail to see why he was removed from the force anyway.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:34:31 PM
I believe it was because some losers caught it on tape, but didn't catch on tape the preceding events... which is I remember correctly the perp had grabbed the officers groin ( not in a nice way ), among other things. Hooray for the officer getting justice, finally.

Telan Desaria
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:36:22 PM
Indeed.

Im going to faint. People AGREED with me in a thread.....

***hears the laws of the universe being contravened***

LightKnight
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:38:05 PM
Although I’m very glad to see the officers win, I’m not so sure about the amount. But I’m glad to see that a reverse lawsuit actually panned out. Maybe if a few more come about and people on both side of the color spectrum get fed up with all the B.S this country can stop all of the “it’s only cause I’m black” this happened too me or “it’s because I’m white” this happened too me and case’s can be determined by facts and merits and not skin tone.

Now as far as the kid getting slammed, I ALMOST have no doubts he should have gotten worse but I have known too many gung ho officers and unfortunately, there are times that even the most honorable officer would love too slam a suspects head into the side of his cruise and than snip his neck like a twig but it’s very unchristian and illegal.

Now someone mentioned the pepper spray, OUCH!!!

I had to get Police issued OC’d at the academy and let me tell you do not believe what you see on T.V
If someone gets sprayed directly in the eyes and breathes it in, lights out, so too speak. Although I did have to get sprayed Three times for it to affect me fully cause, well I’m an exception to the ruleJ but when it went in too effect I thought I was going to DIE!!!!!!!!! So believe me a light slam into a car is a walk in the park.

Telan Desaria
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:52:46 PM
Here here.

I can think of many criminals I would like to slam under the cruiser. For example - - a matter of weeks ago I was at the D and L nightclub in Allentown. My partner and I were on patrol and checked in with the captain who said everything was fine. We departed to check another site and when we approached the exit of the compound heard over the radio - shots fired - man down.

We quickly responded in and found a 19 year old boy sprawled on the sidewalk in a pool of blood. One of our men was kneeling in it trying his best to plug the neck wound with his hand while doing chest compressions with the other. We apprehended one of the gunmen who had arrived late the shooting but the two actual murders escaped. It took some of us grabbing the rest of us repeatedly to not slam the kids head onto the curb. After all, a foot away from me as I held back his screaming girlfriend was a pile of flesh that had once been a boy barely out of high school.

Hearing that girl scream and then twenty minutes later or so a terrified mother will remain on my mind more so than combat - it is more...personal. Hearing the girlfriend blame his friends for dragging him there, for being involved in teh seedy side of city life, was tragic. I can only hope that the one we got was beaten severely by the prison guards when he got there.

I know that wish for violence goes against th honourable manner I live, but there are times when honour seems not to apply. And I admit it is wrong but I can say without doubt I would feel that way everytime that event repeated itself.

Hitting a criminal is nothing that makes my skin boil. What angers me is that prisoners have more rights than the victims they have wronged. Why is it that rapists sit in jail with cinemax and clean cells with three meals a day when the fifteen year old child he brutalized will never look at a football game because he was wearing a jersey that day - or that he will enjoy parole in tne years while see undergoes therapy for the rest of her life.

May the Gods help me I know it is wrong but in my opinion - he should have done more.

Sanis Prent
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:54:27 PM
Wait, so you went from trainee to beat cop in a few months?

Telan Desaria
Jan 21st, 2005, 07:55:55 PM
(((We dont have enough officers not to give out hearty assignments quickly - -I dont agree with half of the things done in my department but who am I to argue)))))

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:20:01 PM
Wait they sued the city because they were suspended or fired in one case and a black cop who was there didn't get anything. It was reverse discimingration. That is the claim the lawyers made. It actually had nothing to do with the kid just that they think they got a unfair treatment while the black cop got nothing. Is it trivial sure but heck I am not surprised.

LightKnight
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:47:50 PM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
Here here.

I can think of many criminals I would like to slam under the cruiser. For example - - a matter of weeks ago I was at the D and L nightclub in Allentown. My partner and I were on patrol and checked in with the captain who said everything was fine. We departed to check another site and when we approached the exit of the compound heard over the radio - shots fired - man down.

We quickly responded in and found a 19 year old boy sprawled on the sidewalk in a pool of blood. One of our men was kneeling in it trying his best to plug the neck wound with his hand while doing chest compressions with the other. We apprehended one of the gunmen who had arrived late the shooting but the two actual murders escaped. It took some of us grabbing the rest of us repeatedly to not slam the kids head onto the curb. After all, a foot away from me as I held back his screaming girlfriend was a pile of flesh that had once been a boy barely out of high school.

Hearing that girl scream and then twenty minutes later or so a terrified mother will remain on my mind more so than combat - it is more...personal. Hearing the girlfriend blame his friends for dragging him there, for being involved in teh seedy side of city life, was tragic. I can only hope that the one we got was beaten severely by the prison guards when he got there.

I know that wish for violence goes against th honourable manner I live, but there are times when honour seems not to apply. And I admit it is wrong but I can say without doubt I would feel that way everytime that event repeated itself.

Hitting a criminal is nothing that makes my skin boil. What angers me is that prisoners have more rights than the victims they have wronged. Why is it that rapists sit in jail with cinemax and clean cells with three meals a day when the fifteen year old child he brutalized will never look at a football game because he was wearing a jersey that day - or that he will enjoy parole in tne years while see undergoes therapy for the rest of her life.

May the Gods help me I know it is wrong but in my opinion - he should have done more. A-Men

That's a tough one for sure.

I will not try and one up you, but lets just say a Rape case, caused me to resign. I almost lost it and I knew that soon I would do something I would regret. Not due too me being a bad person but due the people I had to encounter. Now granted I was lucky because I had a Very small community to control but you would be very surprised at the scum that is present in just a small area. And that area seems doubled when you are the ONLY police officer and your back up is at least 30 minutes away. You would be amazed at what you could get away with if you gave yourself the opportunity.

The Ethics drilled into me like:

Are my actions legal?

If my family were present would they be proud?

Is it worth my job, and career and reputation?

Am I following the golden rule?

And they one I added for myself personally W.W.J.D

started to mean Jack too me.

And I can assure you he wouldn't do nor should any Officer entertain the thoughts that I had that early morning and about carried out. It takes a special breed to be an Officer TELAN and my hats off too you for staying in there. It's hard Not to carry out unethical acts when you are dealing with the scum bags day in and day out. Not to mention the impact that it has on one's physce.

Jedieb
Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:13:43 PM
I'm glad to see the officers won. The awards do seem high. Those amounts probably reflect what the officers could have earned if they completed their careers. I would think that half the amounts awarded would have been fair. Getting compensation is one thing, but basically getting 20+ years of salary seems excessive. I would hope that the officers would be able to resume their careers somewhere else.

It's a thankless job and why people expect it to be carried out in an antiseptic manner is beyond me.

Callomas Savoc
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:05:25 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Those amounts probably reflect what the officers could have earned if they completed their careers.

This is correct. After a scandal such as this, even being exhonorated still won't save a career. Good luck getting a job as a cop anywhere now.