PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wireless Network - what?!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:46:09 PM
I'm trying to set up a wireless network in my house so that a computer on the second floor can access the internet through my computer.

The computer on the second floor can't find any wireless network. We're within range, as the house isn't that big, and everything is installed correctly (as far as I can tell) on my end. The only thing that appears to be abnormal is that the status light on the wireless router is not on.

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to pull out my hair.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:05:47 PM
Do you have a wireless router?

General Dan
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:18:13 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Do you have a wireless router?

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
The only thing that appears to be abnormal is that the status light on the wireless router is not on.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:19:01 PM
Oh. My reading comprehension is broken. Be more specific about the equipment you have?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:24:59 PM
it's an 802.11g/2.4Hz Wireless Router by D-Link, and a wireless thing for the other computer by the same company. I don't have the box for the other.

edit: It's called the DI-524 Wireless Router, sorry.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:43:00 PM
Does the downstairs computer work on wireless?

Redic Scott
Jan 18th, 2005, 07:47:01 AM
Hey, sorry about your problem. It's probably the router, because wireless cards almost always work as soon as you put them into a computer. Anyways, try going to 192.168.0.1 and configuring your D-link router on there. Maybe wireless is disebled. Click on wireless and see if you can activate it. Or click on WAN as well, see if that is clicked. good luck, keep us posted. if it doesn't work, why don;t you call D-link tech support.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 18th, 2005, 12:53:18 PM
actually that's already been done. We're going to bring the second computer downstairs and much closer so we can see if its just the strength of the signal (which we doubt).

edit: and I'm not sure what you mean, does the downstairs computer work on wireless? It's working now, if that's what you mean...? but it's not wireless, it's plugged in with an ethernet cord.

AmazonBabe
Jan 18th, 2005, 01:28:05 PM
I've also heard that signal strength can weaken if there are too many walls... but I'm not sure how valid that argument is.

And by "Does the downstairs computer work on wireless?", I think he was asking whether it was capable of working wirelessly... as in compatible with the wireless network card and sending signals, etc?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 18th, 2005, 03:07:03 PM
in answer to that - I have no idea. ^_^;

Redic Scott
Jan 18th, 2005, 04:20:53 PM
I doubt her computer that is hooked to the router has a wireless card built in, as no computer come like that. I have a wireless network at home all we had to do was just enable WAN on the linksys website and insert a wireless card in the computer. Once in we used the CDs provided with the cards to load the drives and the cards found the network withing seconds after that.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 18th, 2005, 06:59:29 PM
Try installling the wireless card in the downstairs computer for testing purposes.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 19th, 2005, 02:00:12 AM
Actually it's fixed now - I only had to power down everything and then power them up in a specific order - Router, modem, and then my PC. Voila! Network works.

Thanks guys, :)

Redic Scott
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:22:33 AM
lol, well that was easy. Glad its working :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:21:06 AM
Update - the network went down again nearly immediately, and then we got it reacquired for both computers three feet from each other, but it only lasted thirty seconds. The router was faulty, we think, so we returned it and got a new one and it works (again, both comps in the same room). We'll test them from upstairs and downstairs shortly. :)

Thanks for the help guys.