PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Computers (not a scam)

Redic Scott
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:53:46 AM
Hey fellow RPers. I'm Max, or Redic on the boards. Are you guys are as tired of overpaying for a nice computer system as I am? That is why I wanted to tell you about a new company I started. It's called 1st Class Custom Computers and we strive to build some of the best computer system, while saving you money. The brand name companies are huge and therefore need to make large profits to survive. 1st Class on the other hand is small and those savings can be passed onto you. On the Average we can save you around 150 and 200 bucks on low end, yet still high tech and quality computer system. Upto $1500 can be saved on higher pricing Ultra Gaming computer system.

As our name emplies, we build fully customized computer systems to YOUR liking. Anything you have in mind, we can build. If you have a certain reasonable budget you are on, we can build you a system based on that budget. In the computers we build, we us only leading brand names and only buy products after much research. We do this because at 1st Class customers come first and there is no substitute for quality. I wouldn't want to be calling tech support every month and neither would you.

All our systems are backed with a 35 day money back satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like your computer for any reason just send it back. If you want something added to it, we'll provide you with free shipping and will upgrade your system at any time. No other leading manufacturer offers that. If would like us to big you a system or have any questions at all please contact me via PMs or e-mail (FirstClass_CC@yahoo.com)

Our web site is currently under construction and should be uploaded soon. Unlit then please email me for a product catalog. If you have a budget and would like to see and compare our prices with that of the compatition, please e-mail me your budget and we'll design you a computer.

At 1st Class we put the customers...you, first. Remember, why pay more for a standard computer when you can pay less for a customized one. Stand out in the crowd (at 1st class we offer a multitude of custom cases for the personalized look). Thank for you reading this and concidering 1st Class for your next computer.

P.S. THose of you that have talked to me on the boards and stuff, know this isn't a scam or anything. I'm an honest guy and a fellow Rper who just wants to let people know they have options and can save some money on computers. Thank you. :-)

Morgan Evanar
Jan 17th, 2005, 10:07:55 AM
I build my own. Thanks.

Spada Elhow
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:09:35 PM
Where is your company located because I may be interested and would like to know if it would be possible to deliver to where I live.

Grev Drasen
Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:06:54 PM
How much would you charge for a computer that could handle World of Warcraft without a problem? I don't need something that's top of the line, just no skips or lag.

Darth Viscera
Jan 24th, 2005, 01:01:30 PM
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=1262782

I took the liberty of coming up with an appropriate parts list for said WoW box.

*The case has a window (good for rapidly identifying hardware failures and labels on hardware) and 7 fans and rounded metal so you won't cut yourself. cheap

*Combo CD-R/DVD-ROM drive. cheap

*cheap 40 gig hard drive

*1 gig of Corsair value DDR400 memory (lifetime warranty, and Corsair is *very* good at replacing their faulty RAM quickly. Might wanna run it in SDR mode to ensure WoW compatibility though)

*$40 VIA KT600 chipset motherboard with Sempron support. Better a VIA chipset than an nforce2 for WoW, because the nforce2 is very picky about what memory it'll take, and will pick up errors in memtest86 that other chipsets won't. You're less likely to get a 131/132 error in WoW this way. cheap

*Sempron 2400+ Retail CPU with HSF, Thorton core (cheap)

*Fortron 350w power supply with 120mm fan, 16 amps on the 12v rail, certified by random people on internet forums to not blow up and destroy your motherboard while still being cheap.

*Rosewill Radeon 9600 128-bit 128MB AGP, 325mhz core, 400mhz memory, cheapest standard 9600 out there, will run WoW smooth (40fps or so @ 1024x768). Also, Radeons seem to have less of a chance of suffering error #0.

$483 prior to shipping moneys

AmazonBabe
Jan 24th, 2005, 03:37:18 PM
My "Wow box" works well too. But I think it would run on the expensive side of things. :\

Figrin D'an
Jan 24th, 2005, 05:31:22 PM
WoW's system requirements really aren't that stringent. Most of the lag is server-side... there isn't much you can do about that.

Grev Drasen
Jan 24th, 2005, 06:45:06 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
WoW's system requirements really aren't that stringent. Most of the lag is server-side... there isn't much you can do about that. My computer meets the requirements as is, but I've been told my experience will be painful without an upgrade.

AmazonBabe
Jan 25th, 2005, 05:22:50 PM
What are the specs for your comp now?

Grev Drasen
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:43:56 PM
256 RAM
Pentium 4 1.6GHz
Nvidia GeForce2

I just ordered that mobo, RAM, and graphics card that Visc linked. I think I'm safe with my processor.

Darth Viscera
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:29:12 PM
Uh oh.

The thing is though, the motherboard I put on that wish list was a Socket A motherboard, and meant for Athlon XPs, Durons, Semprons, etc. It's not compatible with Pentium 4s.

You should cancel the motherboard order. I'll find a cheap P4 model.

Update:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-139-146&depa=0

Grev Drasen
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:33:22 PM
I tried cancelling the mobo order, but Newegg works so damn fast they already processed the order. It hasn't shipped yet so I emailed them about replacing the motherboard. If not, no big deal... I'll just return it or grab that processor with my next paycheck.

And I'd like to chime in to say I haven't had any real experience with messing with the guts of a computer, but installing a motherboard should be relatively painless, right? I hope that's the hardest part, and the rest of it should just be finding the right fit for each part.

Darth Viscera
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:40:11 PM
Why do you want a new motherboard anyway if you already have one that'll run your P4 1.6ghz?

Grev Drasen
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:02:25 PM
I need it for new RAM. That's what I was told, at least.

Darth Viscera
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:42:15 PM
Can you tell a bit more about your system? Is it a Dell or a Gateway or other kind of store-bought system? Or was it just made by some individual? What is the brand name and model number of the motherboard?

You might be able to add more RAM to it just fine.

Grev Drasen
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:56:29 PM
--------[ Motherboard ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 08/28/2001-I845 -P4B-LA
Motherboard Name Asus P4B-LA

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz
Effective Clock 133 MHz
Bandwidth 1067 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1
Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
RAM Slots 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Chipset i845

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Product Information http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm
BIOS Download http://www.asus.com/support/download/download.aspx

Darth Viscera
Jan 27th, 2005, 12:32:25 AM
uh, hmm. according to Asus, your motherboard doesn't exist. They don't have any P4B-LAs in their database. Is your computer made by HP?

I think 1 stick of this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-024&depa=1
would do you fine for WoW, but I'd like to confirm that motherboard name. Please follow these directions:

Method 2 : Please seek bold printed model name on motherboard surface : eg, P4C800-E, A7N8X and K8V
(You may need to open the case for inspection if necessary)

Method 3 : Please seek name of model as printed on manual cover : eg, P4P800 Deluxe, A7N8X Deluxe, K8V and A7V333

Actually, it would be more helpful if you just told me the name of your HP box. HP Pavilion 7975? etc etc

Yog
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:45:28 AM
If youre going to get a new motherboard, I would replace the CPU as well. When doing a major upgrade, it makes sense to upgrade the CPU at the same time. A jump from 1.6 to 2.4 makes one heck of a difference in general performance.

If youre just going to upgrade memory, you will get by (cheaply) purchasing the SDRAM PC-133 stick Viscera posted.

Edit: I was going to suggest a faster type than PC-133, but taking a closer look at his FSB, never mind that :p

Grev Drasen
Feb 1st, 2005, 07:47:25 PM
That video card is out of stock, Visc. Got another recommendation?

Darth Viscera
Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:20:19 PM
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-289&depa=0

$93 shipped, basically the same card from a better known brand.