PDA

View Full Version : Golden Globes 2005

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:20:02 PM
Lets make this about the globes. Already two surprises, I never thought Clive Owen would win best Supporting actor and my favorite surprise Natalie Portman winning. I was very happy I am glad she won, not sure if she nab the best supporting actress or not but it is still great to see her win an award.

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2005, 10:14:56 PM
The show is taped delayed to the West Coast(we only get the Oscars live). Man 2 shockers straight off the bat. I wonder how this shakes up the Supporting races.

I really don't think Portman has much of a shot at Oscar, but a Owen win just became very real.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2005, 10:23:46 PM
Who knows maybe she will surprise you :) Honestly, I am glad she just won something she proves she can act. People can't judge her by Star Wars. As for the rest of the show I won't say anything so I won't spoil you :p

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:06:33 PM
Annette Benning wins for Being Julia. The race will probably be between her and Swank who I'm nearly certain will win for Best Actress Drama.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:20:04 PM
I think Swank will win myself her and Foxx to me are the only things I am certain of.

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:40:32 PM
Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor win Best Screenplay for Sideways. They'll likely win Adapted at the Oscars. Hopefully Kauffman can finally win this year in the Original category.

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:55:54 PM
Howard Shore wins for scoring The Aviator. Mick Jagger's song wins its category. I think both are likely winners come Oscar night. Shore might not take it because it would be his 4th award in 4 years, but otherwise I think he's got it.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:11:39 AM
Eastwood upsets Scorcese for Best Director. About the only reason I can think of is Marty won BD two years ago...still a surprise to me.

Jamie Fozxx's speech was terrific. Awesome. No way does he lose...even if I'm torn between him and acouple of other guys(like Neeson and DiCaprio).

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:38:30 AM
DiCaprio wins Best Actor Drama. His speech was extremely classy...especially his nod to Scorcese.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:53:31 AM
Swank wins Best Actress Drama . Two time Best Actress winner? She'd join a VERY exclusive list if she were to do so. I think that's the only thing that keeps this from being a slam dunk. The Academy might not be willing to put her in such royalty.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 01:04:30 AM
The Aviator wins BP Drama . Sideways wins BP Musical/Comedy. I think that's the battle to the death come Oscar night.

Marty looked so damn happy. He was practically crying ...made me feel good. :) Go Aviator! "The wave of the future" indeed. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 17th, 2005, 11:56:39 AM
I think Million Dollar Baby could still take it, I was listening to an Oscar guy and he was saying that this morning that it might build momentium. There is precident as Braveheart, Silence of the Lambs, Unforgiven, and Dances with Wolves all won the Oscar but didn't win best picture at the Globes.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:21:31 PM
MDB has been underperforming in the Guild awards(I'll probably make a general Guild post in a couple of days). Plus it didn't make the BAFTA(British Academy) nods this morning...in ANY category. Aviator got 14(!!) BAFTA nominations.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:30:49 PM
Not sure if the BAFTA's mean much for the Oscars. I am guess I am kind of against Aviator I slightly dislike Howard Hughes complicated thing that take way too long to get into.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 12:37:01 PM
The BAFTA's and Oscar's have similar, but not the exact same taste. I mean there's usually a film or two the Brits love that we don't and vice versa. I mean they gave Vera Drake 11 noms and it'll probably only score once here. Generally speaking though they like similar stuff.

Carr, do yourself a favor and watch The Aviator. Fascinating film - whether you like Hughes or not.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:07:12 PM
I will probably watch it when it comes on DVD just have no time to go to movies at all right now. Also from what I read it doesn't seem like a very upbeat movie which is what Million Dollar Baby is.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:29:47 PM
MDB upbeat? It's obvious you haven't seen it. Probably the biggest tear jerker of the year.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:15:34 PM
Well I mean postive message and inspirational. Aviator seems down considering Hughes was mostly a failure when he died and had mental issues.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:41:15 PM
MDB is a typical "overcoming the odds" isnpirational type of flicks..for the first 2 thirds. Then it drastically changes in tone. I'll leave it at that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 17th, 2005, 07:45:43 PM
It looks something like Rocky like that, I guess I will have to rent that one too. I don't see me be able to going to the movies for a few months.

Yog
Jan 17th, 2005, 09:50:44 PM
On the note of tear jerkers, they tend to score extra points at the Academy. I dont think ROTK would have won the way it did last year had it not been for the tear inducing scenes. Heck, it might have pulled another TTT had it not been for that. While Aviator is probably still the frontrunner and favorite, I personally found MDB to be the better movie. Natalie Portman, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood all played brilliantly. Along with the first class acting there is a captivating story which keeps you at the edge of the seat and characters who you can sympathise with. Aviator is technical impressive and fascinating on a biographical level (Howard Hughes was extremely eccentric and had mental problems, and that is captured well), but MDB is the better drama. Its a movie which makes a lasting impression and has plenty of room for afterthought.

Basically, what I am saying, its a two horse race with Aviator in the lead, but dont count out MDB yet. It just might pull an upset.

CMJ
Jan 17th, 2005, 10:02:26 PM
I prefer The Aviator by far. That's not to say I didn't enjoy MDB though. My personal preference has nothing to do with this prediction though. The Globe winner typically wins BP. The Aviator has also cleaned up Guild nom wise.

Yog
Jan 18th, 2005, 04:01:39 PM
Yeah, the statistics point to the Aviator for winning best movie. I am more in doubt about best actor/actress and director though.

CMJ
Jan 18th, 2005, 04:09:00 PM
I think Foxx is a lock for Best Actor. Best Actress is still kind of a tossup because the Academy rarely gives an actor(male or female) 2 lead Oscars. Especially being so young.

Yog
Jan 18th, 2005, 04:25:45 PM
Jamie Foxx? Guess I should hurry up and see Collateral then, along with the Manchurian Candidate, Sideways and Closer. I have seen Aviator, Finding Neverland and Million Dollar Baby so far among the boomaker favorites. I still have some catching up to do..

And I have no idea why I said Natalie Portman in the earlier post, when her name is Hilary Swank. She looks a lot like Portman though.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 18th, 2005, 05:58:15 PM
Jamie Foxx as best actor for Collateral or for Ray?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2005, 11:34:19 PM
Ray, he is up for Best supporting actor for Collaterial if anything.

CMJ
Jan 19th, 2005, 12:53:38 AM
He's been pushed as Supporting by Dreamworks because an actor can't have two lead nominations in the same year per Academy rules.