PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Basketball: 2005 Edition

Aegis Du' Caat
Jan 13th, 2005, 09:07:22 AM
Go Illini! Ok now that I've got that out of my system, what an incredible season thus far. UNC, Kansas, the 'Zags, Duke, BC, Wake, UK, OKSt, a hapless PAC-10 (thank you lord!) Is it just me or is this not one of the most exciting years of NCAA basketball in recent memory.

Granted, I'm pumped up over my alma mater's dominance over seemingly anyone who had to take the ACT/SAT in the last 4 years, but still I've seen some pretty amazing games. Though I hate Kansas with a passion, I've been utterly impressed with that teams tenacity, even without their all-world super-star Wayne Simien and though I would publicly decry it as a travesty if they were ranked higher than my beloved Illini, privately I would simply nod my head because they've proven themselves worthy of that title as well. The same can be said for the UNC team who, along with the Illini have been making the teams they play look like the hapless Washington Generals.

The MVC just looks marvelous this year as well and I think it should be about time for this conference of Giant Killers to start getting the recognition they deserve and see at least three MVC squads in the Big Dance at the end of the year.

Other than that, what are your thoughts on the season and if I'm missing a powerhouse conference out there, that is really sporting some competition for the Big Boys feel free to defend them.

CMJ
Jan 13th, 2005, 10:13:10 AM
It really has been an interesting season so far. Illinois looks like the best team I've seen in a few years. Let's see if they keep it up. The ACC is just stacked this year. I couldn't believe how badly UNC destroyed G. Tech last night though.

My beloved NT has a decent shot at 20 wins this season. Considering how mediocre we've been for years that's pretty amazing.

LightKnight
Jan 13th, 2005, 04:54:56 PM
Go, Heels

Now that that’s out of the way as well I’m still leery to get too excited about the big boy’s in Carolina Blue. One player gets hurt anyone of them decides to disbelieve uncle Roy’s defense and we are sunk. I’m very pleased how they played GT but I’m also displeased with the way they shot. 39% or something along that line, isn’t to good. Had GT been on, or had it been Wake or KA in the big tourney things would have been different. All I know is they have the talent and coach but do they have the heart to make this the year I have been waiting for since 93'.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2005, 06:49:02 PM
Illnois looks great right now, but with the tourney who knows that to me makes college basketball so exciting.

Anuis Ma'artra
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:22:06 AM
20-0 Baby. Done with the Kohl Center Curse! And still Dickie V. won't give us his number 1. Wonder if he will when the I-L-L...I-N-I go all the way!

Sorry for the Illini gushing. Though one of the guys on the Storm radio show, A Chicago AM Sportstalk station, did make mention that the Illini's performance against wake was no fluke and Wake's performance against UNC wasn't either and he's just wondering when Dickie V. will understand that.

However on that note, go Heels, beat the Blue Devils!

CMJ
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:31:49 AM
Illinois is awesome this year...no doubt about that. The Big 10 is also stronger this year than in recent seasons(or so it seems) so it makes their utter domination all the more impressive.

My dear ole Alma Mater is going in the tank it appears. Our season started out with such promise too. :\

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:00:11 PM
Well Dickie V is very ACC bias I remember both times UConn beat Duke he never though they could either year.

CMJ
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:03:50 PM
Uhh dude, I remember he picked UConn last year(Digger picked Duke tho). :p No one picked them in 1999, because the Devils had won about a millon in a row.

He's not ACC biased. He just gets on kicks with certain schools and coaches. Like Duke, Bobby Knight, Kentucky, etc...

He's not nearly as bad as he was when Dean Smith was still around. He called him Michaelangelo about 37 times a game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:09:50 PM
I didn't remember him picking UConn, I guess I am thinking more back of 99 when he was really crazy about Duke.

LightKnight
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:10:27 PM
Infidel, Rise too your feet when you mention the name DEAN SMITH show proper respect to the greatest coach of all time. :grumble

Anuis Ma'artra
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:25:34 PM
John Wooden?

Callomas Savoc
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:01:58 PM
Its old news, but I still can't get over the medieval beating that Bama put on Miss. St. Worst loss for the Bulldogs since the 1950's :eek

LightKnight
Jan 26th, 2005, 04:46:27 PM
Originally posted by Ka' el Darcverse
John Wooden? Huh, Greatest coach, not coach with the two greatest centers in college history, blasphemer :D

CMJ
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:18:01 PM
Even wihout Walton and Lew Alcindor- I believe the Wizard had just as many titles as Smith. Didn't he win 8 total?

Anuis Ma'artra
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:15:03 PM
I love Dean Smith don't get me wrong, but if you want to compare who had the greater talent you are looking at more of a dead heat. Don't forget, Worthy and Jordan played for the namesake of the Dean Dome

LightKnight
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:11:07 PM
Yeah, I think wooden won roughly 8 titles, but he came out of a weak conference compared to the ACC. And I think that most people forget that for the longest of time you didn’t go to the big dance unless you won you conference tourney. Sorry, I can’t remember what year they did away with that and expanded the tourney.

But anyway, had that not been the case I’d bet a million big ones that The Great one, Dean Smith would have won at least 5-10 championships.

Now as far as worthy and Jordan good college players but NO where as good as Alcindor and Walton in college. Alcindor and Walton could and did win games on their own, well as much as one could on their own with 4 other players on their team. Now of course Worthy had a very good N.B.A career and Alcindor became the second greatest player to ever play the came, second only too Larry Bird . Now as far as Jordan an ok player but will be best know for being the worlds greatest marketing gimmick. >D

LightKnight
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:24:39 PM
Is anyone watching the Maryland at Puke game? Could the officiating be any worse? The officials are missing a good game. Well not really rather boring.

What the bloody heck is wrong with the Puke fans? Now am I too assume that they take pride in themselves acting like total Idiots? Do these people not have too have better than average S.A.T’s too attend this College, or am I mistaken on that? Anyway one would assume that if you are attending a fine institution like Puke you would know how to conduct yourself in public in a professional manner. Heck, I saw three guys holding hands and jumping up and down because one of Pukes player hit a two point shot that at the time wasn’t even pivotal at the time. . And what’s up with that Whuuupp noise they make, do they really think that it will make Maryland’s players miss free throws?? Wow, I think they should call themselves the Cameron Morons instead of the crazies at least if your really crazy you have a reason to act this spastic

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 26th, 2005, 10:09:37 PM
I thought Wooden won ten. I know UCLA just about dominanted the early 60's and most of the 70's.

CMJ
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:12:22 PM
Duke has the best fans in college basketball by a country mile. The Crazies invented the f'n airball chant for God's sake. ;)

Carr now that you mention it, I think Wooden did win at least 9 titles. And like I said earlier..he didn't have the 2 big guys for all of'em.

Anuis Ma'artra
Jan 27th, 2005, 08:55:01 AM
Wooden won 10 in 11 years. It wasn't winning a Conference Tourney that got you inivited either, it was winning the conference regular season. Weren't many conference Tourney's back in the day, that's an invention of the suits at the TV stations looking for cash cows.

And don't even get me started on the Crazies. If they were half the Fans the Orange Crush were Duke wouldn't have lost at home!

LOL

LightKnight
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:00:36 PM
Ah, the heck with you two as long as Dickie V and I know the truth, that’s good enough for me. :D

How about the Maryland and Puke game. I had sworn to myself that I wouldn’t watch all of it but I just could not take the chance and miss Maryland up setting Puke, and I was rewarded handsomely. Did anyone see the looks on the face’s of the Cameron indoor Idiots, Priceless .:smokin

Now I’m getting geared up for the Wake and Georgia Tech game, I smell upset city BAAAABBIIEEEE!!!!!!:rollin

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 27th, 2005, 09:16:36 PM
Yeah UCLA won a lot of titles and for like 6 of them he didn't have Walton or Karrem. Heck he won, one of those titles with a 6-7 for a center. The man was a genius.

Anuis Ma'artra
Jan 31st, 2005, 01:20:48 PM
RoFL the Crazies got pwn'd by a UNC grad at the Maryland game. In their little Cheer Sheet they give out they have a list of things that is supposed to aggravate the opposing team's players.

However one of the things they used to cheer against Maryland was actually a thinly veiled reference to a former assistant coach at Duke who has been accused of being a drug dealer and supplying Corey Mageitte with Coke while he played for Duke.

I don't know who saw the game but they were cheering this all night, I thought there was something strange and that it reminded me of a scandal that had been recently brought up with Duke, but it took until I read this to realize what was going on.

LOL

Duck Fuke!

jjwr
Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:42:21 PM
The only team I follow in College Hoops is the UVM Catamounts, local team, great group of kids. Haven't made it out of the first round of the big dance yet but they did make it the past two years and hopefully will this year too!

JMK
Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:59:56 PM
I went to school with a girl who moved from Montreal to play ball for the Catamounts. She was about 5'2" and was all energy. This goes back about 7 years I guess...

CMJ
Feb 9th, 2005, 10:16:04 PM
Wow...Duke versus Carolina was all that could be expected. Best rivalry in college basketball. Terrific game.

Anuis Ma'artra
Feb 9th, 2005, 10:26:55 PM
Horrible Outcome

:)

CMJ
Feb 9th, 2005, 10:40:40 PM
Ahh you're one of those people that can't appreciate a good game when your team loses. ;)

***I have a hard time accepting whenever Kentucky wins a big game, I have an irrational hatred of that school, so I feel you...sort of***

I was rooting for Duke, but I coulda cared less if North Carolina had won. It was a great game....and I didn't graduate from either school so it doesn't alter my existance. It's not like it was for the National Title.

Of personal interest, NT is in the middle of the pack in the Sunbelt. But the conference tourney is in our house, so maybe we can pull some shockers.

Ibrahm Demir
Feb 10th, 2005, 08:55:49 AM
Oh UNC is not my team, I'm an Illini Alumni, in fact I know a bunch of the guys on the squad, my best friend was a cheerleader. I just hate duke :)

CMJ
Feb 10th, 2005, 11:44:13 AM
My point was not that UNC is LITERALLY your team...but they were last night. Like I root just as hard against Kentucky as I do for North Texas in basketball. Any school that plays them is my 2nd favorite for the day.

And much like you I have no real reason to hate them. They aren't in my conference, or state, or anything.

Ibrahm Demir
Feb 10th, 2005, 12:28:50 PM
Oh I have reasons, elminiations of my two favorite teams from the NCAA tourney, ACC officiating giving them 2, 1 point wins on last second foul calls over my beloved Illini, Mike K.s obvious deal with satan.

I could go on lol

CMJ
Feb 10th, 2005, 01:13:01 PM
:rolleyes

Please.

;)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 10th, 2005, 05:28:52 PM
Well at the same time Duke fans could say that about UConn, who beat them twice in one game that was semi contraversal. Of course UConn fans could say that was revenge for the last second shot :p

LightKnight
Feb 13th, 2005, 03:02:09 PM
I was going to come in here and vent about the poor officiating in the Carolina loss to Puke. I decided not to as it would just come off as sour grapes but after watching Carolina’s win at Connecticut and seeing it really got me too thinking, the officials do in fact make favorable calls for the home teams and it makes me sick. Now I can appreciate close calls going to the home team, although WRONG I can accept it. But these obvious in your face bad calls leave me shaking my head in utter disgust. I would like to go on about it but unfortunately most people either do not want see it or they just accept it and go on .well that’s my poor excuse for my venting session sadly anything more would be classified as whining. But I do hope one day Coaches are allowed to complain about horrible officiating so that officials who are biased can bare the title they deserve CHEATERS!!.

Anuis Ma'artra
Feb 17th, 2005, 12:44:45 PM
26-0 Baby!

This will be a season, Illini fans will talk about for a long time coming. They just seem so in control no matter what the situation, down by 8 at Michigan in the second half? No problem, we'll just score 3 straight fast break buckets and hit a three to take the lead. Wisconsin takes an early second half lead? No problem, we hit threes like they were lay-ups.

It's just amazing to watch them play, its the way college basketball is meant to be played, I don't care what anyone says about UNC's talent and potential, it doesn't really matter when you have 6-7 guys who play in perfect unision no matter which five are on the floor. I think the sports writers have it wrong, Illinois would win a best of seven series just because they wouldn't get shook up about losing one of the games, UNC's prima-donnas would.

Anyhow, Oskee-wow-wow Illinois!

CMJ
Feb 17th, 2005, 01:07:33 PM
I think this Illinois squad might be the best college team I've seen since the one Kentucky had in...I wanna say 1996. We'll see if they can keep it up.

LightKnight
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:26:46 PM
26-0 Baby!

, I don't care what anyone says about UNC's talent and potential, it doesn't really matter when you have 6-7 guys who play in perfect unision no matter which five are on the floor. I think the sports writers have it wrong, Illinois would win a best of seven series just because they wouldn't get shook up about losing one of the games, UNC's prima-donnas would.

Anyhow, Oskee-wow-wow Illinois! Thanks Ka’el

I had had a rough day and needed a good laugh and you deliver. Now Illinois is a very good, dare I say a complete team but beat Carolina in a 7 games series??? All I can say is, step away from the crack pipe ;) Now could Ill beat Carolina in a best of three, yes. Look 26-0 is awesome but if Ill was in the ACC the odds of them being 22-4 are slim and none and slim just became anorexic. Yes they beat Wake, well they Pounded wake but that’s just one game. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for cheering me up and there is nothing wrong with being proud of Ill, just don't get crazy :lol

Anuis Ma'artra
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:58:04 PM
We'll see come tourney time. About your vaunted ACC and their toughness. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2005, 08:37:23 AM
Wow talk about about David taking down Goliath what about VT beating Duke that was just unbelievable.

CMJ
Feb 18th, 2005, 01:23:08 PM
It wasn't that unbelievable. VT is like 4th in the conference right now.

JMK
Feb 18th, 2005, 02:04:18 PM
Every time I see VT I think you're talking Vermont!

THAT would be unbelievable.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2005, 02:57:31 PM
Well they are tied for 4th but they are 13-10 they aren't going to the NCAA's Actually looking at the ACC I didn't realize that there was so many teams cluttered on the bubble. You only have three sure things in Wake, North Carolina and Duke. Maryland has been very irratic this year beating Duke twice but can't beating Clemson and Florida State. Georgia Tech a year removed from playing UConn for the National title is on the bubble at 14-8. Then you throw in Miami which as won 15 games. How many teams will make it?? I would think 4 for sure but I wouldn't be shocked to only see five teams maybe GT gets hot towards the end and gets in.

JMK
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:07:48 PM
Do you mean to tell me that Vermont DID beat Duke?

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:08:04 PM
Oh no heh, Virginia Tech. Now Vermont that would be one of the biggest upsets of all time.

Anuis Ma'artra
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:55:54 AM
Big Ten Champs, two years running! wo0t!

LightKnight
Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:08:55 PM
Big Ten Champs, two years running! wo0t! Don’t be too proud of the 27-0 record that they have compiled. The ability too win the big-10 is insignificant next to the power of the ACC.
;)

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:34:42 AM
Well this year the ACC is weak they will be lucky to get four teams in. They only have two really good teams. Duke isn't as good as they have been in past years. The strongest conference top to bottom right now is the Big East. I watch out for UConn they are starting to get hot like they did last year.

Anuis Ma'artra
Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:25:07 AM
Actually its 28-0 you must be forgetting the 30 point whoopin' the Illini gave their much vaunted ACC competition.

LightKnight
Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:46:13 PM
Doesn’t anybody give me credit for the Star Wars twist in my last post o_O

And yes I do remember the ars beating they gave Wake( mentioned it before) but one game against the ACC is not enough to prove anything, well I’ll leave it at that
;)

LightKnight
Mar 3rd, 2005, 04:51:11 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well this year the ACC is weak they will be lucky to get four teams in. They only have two really good teams. Duke isn't as good as they have been in past years. The strongest conference top to bottom right now is the Big East. I watch out for UConn they are starting to get hot like they did last year. The Big East?? Come on now. :huh

Barring something totally insane the ACC will have at least 5 teams in the tournament but I betting 6 :rollin

CMJ
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:54:38 PM
The ACC is the deepest conference, as usual. Illinois is the best team - or so it seems. We'll see how it all plays out.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:26:40 PM
The ACC will get 5 if they are very lucky. I can prove it

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?page=2005bubblewatch

The ACC only has 3 locks right now: North Carolina, Duke, and Wake Forest. Maryland, Georgia Tech, Miami and NC State are on the bubble. Miami's RPI is horrible they haven't beaten a good team all year. NC State is in the same position. Personally I think the ACC will only get Georgia Tech or Maryland. Those two teams play each other opening round of the ACC tourney that will decide who gets in. The Big East now could get 7 teams in. They have 5 locks UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, and Villanovia. Notre Dame should make it since they have a very good RPI. West Virgina will get in should they win 20 games. Georgetown has little chance now considering they have lost like 4 straight games.

JMK
Mar 6th, 2005, 01:10:42 PM
I hope some of you just saw Illinois get their world rocked by the Buckeyes today...what a come back!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 6th, 2005, 05:56:14 PM
Well if I was Illinois I would want the loss. Honestly no team can go unbeaten in college basketball. They might as well get the loss out of the way before the tournment. They are still the best team in the country, IMO.

LightKnight
Mar 6th, 2005, 06:03:45 PM
Life is good:rollin

Morgan Evanar
Mar 6th, 2005, 10:27:04 PM
The ACC's problem is that the middle/bottom teams tend to knock each other off a lot.

Anuis Ma'artra
Mar 6th, 2005, 11:15:28 PM
Shots went cold, officials let Dials get away with murder (however that being said, officiating, unless rigged, will never cost a team a game.) Illini forgot that it was teamwork that got them this far in the last few minutes of the game. Plus dials holding William's jersey as he went by to get a hand in the face of the guy that hit the shot didn't hurt either.

Oh well, no way Illinois doesn't get a 1 seed nor the Indy-to-Chitown-StL connection all the way to the National Championship. Say all you want about the Big Ten being weak, to beat us in the tourney you are going to have to do it in our backyard.

CMJ
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:52:50 AM
Yesterday was truly March Madness with all the upsets and close finishes. I think Illinois's loss was the best thing that coulda happened to them. Too often when schools have LOOOONG win streaks heading into the tourney they fold under the pressure.

The Big 10 might not be as strong as some of the other conferences overall but the Illini are like USC in football. Who think the PAC-10 was one of the 2 best leagues last year?

Who doubts that SC is a deserving Champion?

(Okay so I woulda like to have seen Auburn play them, but STILL)

Anbira Hicchoru
Mar 7th, 2005, 12:01:17 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Who doubts that SC is a deserving Champion?

Me, and I hate Auburn to boot.

CMJ
Mar 7th, 2005, 12:22:02 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
Me, and I hate Auburn to boot.

Well, if you recall I was leading the Tigers' bandwagon from about mid October on. The reason I said the TWO best leagues bit about the PAC-10 is because even if you think AU coulda defeated the Trojans, USC was clearly one of the two best teams.

Great teams can still be found in "weaker" conferences. The best team of the best conference might not be the best team in the country.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2005, 10:54:32 PM
Of course in Basketball it is more difficult. Sometimes the best regular season team doesn't win, has one bad game and are out. UNLV comes to mind pretty fast. The NCAA tournment can just be crazy like the fact NC State and Villanova both won in the 80's and they were 8 seeds.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 10th, 2005, 05:37:34 PM
Maryland won't be going to the NCAA tourney that is for sure, getting beat by Clemson for the third time this season. If I was Maryland I wouldn't want to play Clemson again :p Also West Virginia should get in with their win over BC. West Virginia could be a dangerous team in the tournament.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 13th, 2005, 09:29:19 PM
Nobody is talking about the NCAA tourney? I am shocked here is the story
http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney05/news/story?id=2012318

So are we going to do a tournament game this time? I mean pick winners of the games played each round. Impossible to do a bracket though I might do one on ESPN.

CMJ
Mar 13th, 2005, 09:57:29 PM
I figured I'd start a thread in the next couple of days for the Tourney itself. It's a cliche, and we say it almost every year, but this field seems really wide open. There's about 12 teams I can see winning the whole shebang.

The potential NC/Duke semifinal is fascinating, though I don't see the Devils getting past Kentucky.

Anuis Ma'artra
Mar 14th, 2005, 10:09:19 AM
All I have to say is that Illinois' longest commute throughout the entire tournment will be a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to St. Louis to pick up their trophy.

It was good to see the team clicking on all cylinders yesterday (with the exception of Dee) as they played an outstanding Wisconsin team (A team I pick to upset KU in the second round and eventually losing a close game to a very good UCONN team in the Sweet 16). I really think outside of the Chicago Bracket (which I see a possible rematch of the Elite 8, Illinois-Zona game from a few years ago) that the field is wide open for 1 seeds to get knocked off.

I know LightKnight is going to disagree with me, but I see the big upset/Cinderella (if you can call the SEC Tourney Champ/4 seed a Cindy) of the Tournement to be Florida making a run to the national Championship Game. Florida just seems to be clicking on all cylinders now and though I tend to agree with most of the "experts" from ESPN, that UNC has the most talented team (which as we have seen many times does not mean the best) I just see their erractic play haunting them in the Tourney as they don't really play the defense necessary for a team to make a national title run. As per tradition in the tourney, I have only 2 #1's making the Final Four, Duke (yes I know) and the Fighting Illini (home court advantage, I mean they've won 16 straight at the United Center, they've played quite a few games in Indy and they've won about 10 straight at St.L) L'ville is my other team in the field of four, a team playing for pride at being snubbed for a 1, 2, or even 3 seed by the selection comittee.

Upset specials: Florida over Duke, UCONN and UNC to make the Nat'l championship game. Mich St over Cuse (a 5 over 4 isn't a huge upset, but I think that the Orange may overlook the Spartans). Wisconsin over Kansas, Pitt over Wash, Iowa over Cincy and UTEP over Utah (in what is rightfully being called the potential boringest game in College Basketball history)

Other Upsets: SIU over OKSt, the Dawgs are scrappy, I've watched both teams play a few times this year and though I admire the Senior Leadership of the Pokes, there is just someting about Southern that makes me think they'll keep the game up-tempo and never let the Poke's big men become a factor. (13 years of season tickets to watch the Salukis play growing up gives it my sentimental pick as well)

Penn over BC- I may have missed on this pick depending on what game the Eagles bring to the first round, but I know the Tide will roll over whichever squad makes it to that second round match-up so I'm not concerned over this pick.

UAB over LSU- I think the selection comittee felt compelled to bring a fifth SEC contender into the mix and snubbed a very good Buffalo team to sneak the Tigers in at a 6th seed. Again I'm not so concerned about the rightness of this pick as the Wildcats will pick apart either squad in the second round.

Cinderella pretenders: Nevada, Creighton/West Va, either team will be destroyed by a Wake squad livid about the Washinton leap frog, St Marys, so you beat the Zags and the Heels, what have you done for me lately? The entire State of Iowa (yes I know Creighton is from Iowa, but the will win their first round game in an upset over a highly overated W. Va team that played themselves into the Tourney and peaked too early) Iowa, Iowa St, Northern Iowa may all get out of the First round due to inflated value of the higher seeds they face in the First round (yes I know I picked Wisconsin to be a Sweet Sixteen sleeper, but they didn't deserve a 6 seed) but each of these squads from the state whose claim to fame is "Not as Flat as Kansas nor as boring as Nebraska" will be beaten soundly in the second round by teams that are not over-rated for their seeds.

The "Say what?" decision of the selection process - A cluster-frell of a tie here. The snub of Buffalo and Memphis (a snub the comittee should have never been given the opportunity to make if Calipari tought his boys how to shoot free-throws), Washinton's a 1-seed, a cold night of shooting by Zona or we would have had 3 ACC #1's, Unranked Florida (ok maybe #25) getting a 4 seed, but Kansas being a 3 in UNC's bracket (what happened to the infamous S-Curve, unless the comittee believes Duke is the higher #1 than UNC) UNC getting the winner of the play-in game and Illinois and Duke getting solid 16's (ok so Illinois is playing an hour and a half from home but Delaware could make Duke work for the win) where as the Heels will have either a tired 13-18 team to compete with or a tired 17-something team to play with. The other major "Say What" has nothing to do with the selection comittee, but the announcers from ESPN and CBS thinking that Indiana should have had any consideration whatsoever for the tourney. ND and MD had a better gripe and neither of them deserved a bid either regardless of the Terps record against Duke, they lost to Clemson, that would be like Illinois losing to Penn-State this year.

Looking forward to filling out my bracket and lets see if I win hte million dollar prize lol

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:24:46 AM
Syracuse is the toughest region. You got UNC, UConn, Kansas, Florida and Villanova in there. Those are 5 very good teams, and every one of them could make it to the final four. In my opinion this reminds me of 2000 when Michigan State won. Illinois is the dominant team like MSU was that year. I think Illinois will be cutting down the nets in St. Louis.

CMJ
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:52:32 AM
My Final Four -

Illinois
Kentucky
Wake Forest
North Carolina

Ishan Shade
Mar 16th, 2005, 07:23:55 AM
Kentucky??

Wow...you have more faith than I do, and I go to the darn school.

We're so inconsistent that I forsee a sweet 16 exit....we just can't play that many good game in a row...

CMJ
Mar 16th, 2005, 11:36:27 AM
I detest the Wildcats something awful. But I see they're a great squad and like the way the Regional shapes up for them.

LightKnight
Mar 17th, 2005, 06:57:14 PM
I must say that I some what agree with Ka’el, I myself foresee a Cinderella in the guise of Florida. I personally feel that there is no one team that you can bet on there are too many good quality teams from all conference’s in this tourny and of course mainly from the ACC (although Wake is playing Horrible at this moment.

I do and must say that either the Selection comity hates Duke and Carolina or they feel as I do that they are the two best teams in the nation because they stuck them in the hardest two regions. I also have to say that (no digs meant at Ka’el) If Illinois can’t get to the final four in their cake walk region .. Well I’ll leave it at that. I must say that I am some what worried at Carolina’s play or lack there of. I mean I know that G.T is a great team and have turned up the volume on their play but DANG, how could Carolina get out played by Clemson. Anyway cutting it short since the other tourny thread is up

LightKnight
Mar 17th, 2005, 09:55:00 PM
Although I have no doubts that Illinois will have a better second half, I’d love to see the look on Ka ‘el s face about this time ;)

Anuis Ma'artra
Mar 18th, 2005, 07:37:48 AM
I was actually at the game. It was rather amusing just because there was this jackhole from FDU who was in a practice jersey strutting around harassing Illini fans. Though the Knights were playing well the Illini never looked bothered, something you couldn't see on TV. I looked at the person next to me and said this will be as close as Farleigh gets, after the three that put it within 1. The Illini's 20-3 run shut the goof up and silenced the KY fans who came to the game only to harass the Illini, however it was the Ky game that I thought showed a glaring weakness, if Ford's boys knew how to catch a basketball we would have had an upset.

jjwr
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:22:06 AM
Go Cats!

I'm not a huge college basketball fan but as a Vermonter I've been following the UVM Catamounts, after a great year they got hosed with a #13 seed and play a ridiculously strong #4 seed in Syracuse so odds are they are one and done.

I'm just hoping Coppenwrath can come through with a big game and lock up his NBA Stock. Heres hoping he's the first native Vermonter to make the NBA and with luck as a 1st Round Pick!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2005, 10:55:43 AM
Of course it only matters to win Jim Valveno when he was on ESPN used to always say all it matters was to win and survive and move on.

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2005, 02:50:13 PM
His motto during the '83 run(when I beleve they were a 6 seed) was "survive and advance". He took it to the TV studios...and now Vitale uses it.

Anuis Ma'artra
Mar 18th, 2005, 02:56:54 PM
Man I'm not quitting my day-job to become a Sports Columnist. I've just been dead wrong on every count, EXCEPT, the Saluki's who are doing so far what I said they would.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2005, 03:14:17 PM
Whoops not sure how I messed that up. I haven't been right on the upsets especially the 7-10, 6-11 games, they have just been hard to predict. Also how did New Mexico only score 11 points in the first half???? That is horrible, maybe Villanova's defense is just incredible. Not really any good games on, the best is So Illinois but right now my area has that awful UNC game on. Oakland just can't match up at all.

JMK
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:26:35 PM
What a great game between Vermont and Syracuse! Chalk up another big upset!

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:43:08 PM
Biggest upset of the weekend so far. Though Deleware State made it interesting on Duke for a while.

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:47:18 PM
LA-Lafayette really represented the Sunbelt well(my conference). For much of that game I thought they might actually win. And Louisville is a trendy pick for the Final Four. That woulda been huge for our league.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:56:17 PM
Yeah that was a very good game too. Also Northern Iowa really came back on Wisconsin, although the Badgers won Northern Iowa made a noble effort.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:04:19 PM
Bucknell pulled a bigger upset. What an exciting finish to that game. So we have had five upsets two really big ones, IMO (Syracuse and Kansas going down) that should be unless Old Dominion can make a miracle come back.

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:19:51 PM
There were at least a few people I saw that predicted Vermont. I didn't see ANYONE predict Kansas going out.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:25:07 PM
I know I didn't see Kansas going out. And heck I thought Syracuse had the potetial of being a final four candidate. Also who else thinks UConn has got an easy road again to go the Elite 8? Last year the same thing happened, and now this year they have to face Nc State and Wisconsin/Bucknell. With their team they shouldn't lose to any of those three schools.

CMJ
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:29:12 PM
I think the Wolfpack has the talent to play with Connecticut. The Huskies should win, but NC State is a dangerous 10 seed. Especially considering the strength the ACC has shown in the tourney so far(5-0 in the first round).

I don't see the Wisconson/Bucknell winner being much competition for Connecticut though. But who the hell knows...it's March.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 18th, 2005, 11:52:22 PM
Well Vitale and Digger were talking about UConn and NC State. UConn is too big for them which is the problem they were pointing out. NC State is going to have major problems inside and I don't think they are a great outside shooting team which is the problem they really were emphasing. At least that is what I gathered from watching sportscenter. Still there is unpredictability UConn could not play their game they are a young team so anything can happen considering that.

CMJ
Mar 19th, 2005, 10:36:28 PM
Who had Wisconson-Milwaukee in their Sweet 16?

Yeah, my National Champion is out.

Typical March.....

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 19th, 2005, 10:57:12 PM
yeah and who saw Texas tech vs West Virginia? My bracket is ruined.

Figrin D'an
Mar 20th, 2005, 12:09:03 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
Who had Wisconson-Milwaukee in their Sweet 16?

*Raises hand*

But, that's because I've seen them play all year, and I know how good they are. When they're hot, which they were this weekend, they can beat anybody.

The rest of my bracket is not so great, but I did have that one right.

CMJ
Mar 20th, 2005, 01:19:49 PM
I was this close to picking NC State. I knew they could play with Connecticut. Well...two 2 seeds out. Does Oklahoma State survive the day?

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 20th, 2005, 05:31:50 PM
I am depressed UConn really didn't play their game at all. Also why did they go away from their Best player the entire second half except for the last 3 minutes??