Figrin D'an
Jan 11th, 2005, 09:11:28 PM
Saturday

New York Jets at Pittsburgh
St. Louis at Atlanta

Sunday

Minnesota at Philadephia
Indianapolis at New England

Picks must be submitted by 4:30PM Eastern on Saturday.

Syren Wyssholt
Jan 12th, 2005, 07:56:42 AM
Saturday

New York Jets at Pittsburgh (W)
St. Louis (W) at Atlanta

Sunday

Minnesota (W) at Philadephia
Indianapolis (W) at New England

Cyrel Annat
Jan 12th, 2005, 12:45:05 PM
Saturday

St. Louis at Atlanta (W)

Sunday

Minnesota at Philadephia (W)

JMK
Jan 12th, 2005, 12:53:33 PM
Saturday

New York Jets at Pittsburgh (w)
St. Louis (w) at Atlanta

Sunday

Minnesota (w) at Philadephia
Indianapolis (w) at New England

jjwr
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:25:37 PM
Saturday

New York Jets at Pittsburgh(W)
St. Louis(W) at Atlanta

Sunday

Minnesota(W) at Philadephia
Indianapolis at New England(W)

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2005, 01:58:01 PM
W New York Jets at Pittsburgh
St. Louis at Atlanta W

Sunday

Minnesota at Philadephia W
Indianapolis at New England W

I am only going with the Jets upset, hey it worked last time :p I just can't see two 8-8 teams in the NFC Championship game, I think Philly will surprise people and beat up the Vikings and with Vick I think Atlanta will beat the Rams.

Yog
Jan 12th, 2005, 07:22:33 PM
New York Jets at Pittsburgh (W) - Steelers better win, or Im a monkey!

St. Louis at Atlanta (W) - Rams had some luck getting this far, but it ends right here! Michael Vick is going to roll over them like an indian war elephant.

Sunday

Minnesota at Philadephia (W) - Eagles are a lot stronger than one might think, even without TO. Forget the two last weeks, now they are playing for serious.

Indianapolis (W) at New England - One part of me says its wishful thinking. The other part says Pats wont be able to keep up the score with Colts tremendous offense

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2005, 07:34:22 PM
Saturday

St. Louis at Atlanta (W)

Sunday

(W)Minnesota at Philadephia
(W)Indianapolis at New England

Jedieb
Jan 12th, 2005, 07:43:00 PM
New York Jets at Pittsburgh
I think this will be the blowout of the weekend. The Jets have played 3 road games in 13 days. A lot of people think the Jets could pull the upset because of how close their last game was. The Jets are physical upfront, but I think a rested Steelers team is just going to be too much for them. I can see Pittsburgh beating up on them the way they did the Pats and Eagles earlier in the season.

St. Louis at Atlanta
I really think Atlanta's defensive line is going to get to Bulger. They'll sack him at least a couple of times and knock him down all day. On the other side of the ball I can see the Falcons getting over 150yds on the ground from Dunn, Vick, and Duckett.

Minnesota at Philadephia
I've got a feeling that the Eagles are going to crush their faithful a week early this year. They haven't played a real game in a month. Their offense is wretched without TO. If Westbrook has a big game then my pick will look like a joke. I think the Vikings will rally around Moss's big fro and butt and pull the upset.

Indianapolis at New England
Again, if they don't do it this time, the Colts will NEVER beat the Pats. Vanderjerk is stupid, but close, the Pats are ripe. Manning's never had a better chance. A bit of bad news today, Indy's second best pass rusher is doubtful for Sunday. That will make Freeney's job that much tougher. Forget Bellichek, Weis has done a good job of keeping Freeney off Brady these last couple of years. Without Mathis it's going to be that much easier.

Drake Shadowstalker
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:06:48 PM
Saturday

St. Louis (W) at Atlanta

Sunday

Minnesota at Philadephia (W)

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:30:47 PM
Saturday

Pittsburgh
Atlanta

Sunday

Philadephia
New England

Figrin D'an
Jan 12th, 2005, 11:23:23 PM
Saturday

New York Jets at Pittsburgh (W) - The Jets only beat San Diego because Schottenheimer reverted to old-time Marty Ball and refused to let Brees air it out. Pittsburgh has weapons all over the field, and a stout defense. Look for them to try to stuff Curtis Martin early and force Pennington to throw the football to beat them, which won't happen.

St. Louis (W) at Atlanta - Atlanta has a good defense, but with a indoor fast track, the Rams are always dangerous. I expect St. Louis to throw the ball deep early in the game, following the simple strategy of attempting to get an early lead and reducing the effectiveness of the Atlanta running attack. If the Falcons have to rely on Vick throwing the football to win, they'll be in big trouble.

Sunday

Minnesota at Philadephia (W) - This game is tough to get a read on. Minnesota looks to finally have things going offensively again, but just when everything seems to be clicking for them, that's usually when something happens to tear it all apart. Philly hasn't played a meaningful game in a month, and without Owens, their passing game drops from dangerous to laughable. Bottom line... if the Eagles are going to get to the Super Bowl, they need their defense to step up and hold opponents to under 20 points, and McNabb needs to be the fantastic playmaker that he has been in the past when plays break down. The X-factor in this game will be Westbrook... he's rested and will need around 70-80 yards on the ground to keep the Vikings defense honest.

Indianapolis (W) at New England - This is the opportunity the Colts have been waiting for. Their offense is rolling, their young defense has gotten better, and the Pats pass defense is banged up. If Manning is going to take the next big step and lead his team to the Super Bowl, he has to come up big against the defending champs. New England has done a good job in slowing the Colts offense in their recent meetings, but this time, the best weapon the Pats will have to defend against Manning will be Corey Dillion. Run the football and control the clock. I expect this to be the best matchup of the weekend, and the most exciting game.

TieFighterPilot181st
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:29:40 AM
Saturday

Steelers over the Jets
Rams over the Falcons

Sunday

Minnesota over Philidelphia
New England over Indianapolis

jjwr
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:09:50 AM
One fun comment I keep readinga bout the COlts & Pats game, Manning could easily throw 4 TD's in the game and lose 35-28 and people will still say he couldn't win the big one. You really have to feel for the guy, with everything he has done people still doubt him when he's doing everything asked of him but others fail(ie Edge fumbling twice earlier this year).

One comment on the Jets vs Steelers, lest not forget the Jets have some good recievers and the Steelers strength is their line, not their secondary. They create pressure up front and the Jets are great and quick passes into the flat to avoid pressure.

JMK
Jan 13th, 2005, 09:55:08 AM
I'm thinking of switching my pick back to the Pats. Not that it's a strectch either way in this game, but I'm hearing now that as the precipitation continues to fall, and the weather remains unstable in the northeast, the field is quickly becoming a quagmire and by game time on sunday is supposed to resemble the florida everglades. Apparently the Patroits organization is not doing anything about it, presumably because it goes a long way in slowing down the Colts receivers. Of course, Belichick doesn't really comment on it at all except to say that he's sure the field will be playable Sunday. Ah to have homefield advantage.

Yog
Jan 13th, 2005, 10:44:26 AM
Bad weather tends to affect throwing game.. disadvantage Colts then :|

Figrin D'an
Jan 13th, 2005, 11:34:21 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Bad weather tends to affect throwing game.. disadvantage Colts then :|

Not necessarily. In sloppy conditions, it's generally easier for receivers to make cuts in their routes than it is for DBs to react to them. The only thing the Colts have to worry about weather-wise is the wind, which there isn't supposed to be much of on Sunday.

Both teams will be slowed somewhat. The team that reacts to it and adjusts the best will be the one that wins.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2005, 05:32:43 PM
Usually games in snow are low scoring. It also usually becomes a matchup vs the running games because it is so hard to throw with the ball being ice cold slipping out of the QB's hand. If weather plays a huge role I think that favors the Pats.

Jedieb
Jan 13th, 2005, 06:51:05 PM
Edge needs to have a big game, especially if the field is a mess. If he can churn out some big runs then Manning will be able to hit guys like Clark and Stokley. Both secondaries will be on their heels on a sloppy field. I'm wondering if there will be any early holding calls that will set the NE crowd off and force the Pats to back off the Colts receivers. This is definitely the game of the week. I can't wait to plant my butt and revel in the HD glory of it all! :crack

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2005, 06:59:23 PM
yeah but NE's stregnth is the front 7 not sure if Edge will do much if there is a sloppy field.

Jedieb
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:40:34 PM
They couldn't stop him in the first game. If not for those red zone turnovers the Colts would have won that game. The Pats need turnovers. Whoever takes care of the ball better is going to win this game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:45:24 PM
I think they could stop this time Belicheck wouldnt' let that happen twice. I still think if it is a sloppy field the Pats have the advantage. Usually give the home team the edge in that kind of game anyway.

TieFighterPilot181st
Jan 13th, 2005, 08:16:43 PM
Is it supposed to snow for the Pats Colts game?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 13th, 2005, 11:25:28 PM
Maybe, cold front is moving in will probably snow Friday and Saturday don't know about Sunday. Still will be very cold and maybe an icy mess field.

jjwr
Jan 14th, 2005, 07:22:02 AM
The field is going to be horrible come Sunday, I'm suprised the NFL hasn't said anything, I know last year they made them replace it before the Titans game.

The key is not to stop Manning, he'll get his 3 TD's and 300yds, but leave it at that and keep Edge from getting 150+ Combined yards. If they can shut down the run then the pass becomes much easier to defend and makes the game more one dimensional, especially in the slop.

JMK
Jan 14th, 2005, 07:39:12 AM
Randy Moss was fined $10,000 and then immediately laughed it off and said "What's $10,000 to me?" he then went on to say that his next TD celebration would be worse.

What an absolute jerk. He's the most self centered pro athlete I've ever seen.

Yog
Jan 14th, 2005, 08:08:28 AM
Quite a rolemodel :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 14th, 2005, 10:14:25 AM
Well if he does something worse the NFL will make the fine 3x as worse I bet.

JMK
Jan 14th, 2005, 11:02:04 AM
As far am I concerned, until the fines start reaching 6 figures (which would then be appealed, and reduced) the players won't care.

But really, how backwards is the NFL when Eric Barton nails Drew Brees in the head and gets $7,500 while Moss gets $10,000 for a fake moon. I don't care that Barton is not a dirty player, and that it was his first offense, a blow to the head is a blow to the head and can't be allowed.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 14th, 2005, 06:52:25 PM
I think that is based on he didn't do it on purpose at least that is what the NFL deterimened. With Moss it is because he has done so many things like that they decided to increase the fine. I think if they really wanted to punish him they would suspended a game if he does something more crazy.

LightKnight
Jan 14th, 2005, 07:36:46 PM
I personally think his fine should be more severe, like lets say a HAIR CUT O_o

Ryan Pode
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:27:17 AM
Saturday

New York Jets Win at Pittsburgh
St. Louis at Atlanta Win

Sunday

Minnesota Win at Philadephia
Indianapolis Win at New England

I am being bold.

LightKnight
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:34:14 AM
other than Indy over the Pats, I like Pode's predictions.

Ryan Pode
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:38:46 AM
Indy will win. The Refs will call the game for Indy.

jjwr
Jan 15th, 2005, 01:35:13 PM
We'll see...everyone is saying the refs will call it for Indy so it may have the opposite effect...

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2005, 02:25:53 PM
Since they swallowed their whistles on behalf of the Pats last year, it's only fair. ;)

Steelers and Jets are only a few minutes away............................ :crack

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2005, 03:54:40 PM
I honestly think they should swallow their whistles in a playoff game. I think it should be decided on the field. Also they need to change that darn rule it is ridiuculous giving WR so much room.

Yog
Jan 15th, 2005, 04:32:43 PM
Looking good so far for the Steelers..

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2005, 05:43:41 PM
Wow that was a big INT. The Jets have just hung around in this game and now have the lead, it is looking good for them.

Yog
Jan 15th, 2005, 05:48:06 PM
That interception was huge. Shame on Roethlisberger. Why the Steelers are throwing the ball so much in this game is one of the great mysteries of life I have yet to figure out. They could win this game easily if they would focus on running the ball more. Theire making it unecessarily difficult for themselves.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:05:52 PM
The Jets just really blew it. You miss 2 FG's at the end of the game you can only blame yourself. To me the Steelers look very vulnerable they don't look domiant like the two 15-1 teams that won the SB (S.F and Chicago) Those two teams cruised through the playoffs crushing the two teams they played. This team looked more like the Vikings who got upset in the Championship Game. I think the same will happen to them. I think they will get beat by either team that wins tomorrow.

Yog
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:35:54 PM
Actually, I think it was the Steelers that blew it, getting overconfident and letting Jets into the game.

Corias Bonaventure
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:36:05 PM
As a Steeler fan, I have to admit I'm quite worried for next week. At least Pittsburgh's defense held up very well--they never gave up a touchdown. But their kick and punt coverage has been spotty all season, and it was a punt return for touchdown that started their downfall in their last championship game against New England.

As for Ben... it's a mystery. I could try to call it rust from a couple weeks off, or playoff jitters, or something about the Jets' defense, but I just don't know. The Steelers were extremely lucky to come away with a win.

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:41:28 PM
Some day, people are going to be debating whether or not Adam Vinetari should be in the HOF. These last few playoff games should be proof of why he SHOULD be in there.

A really exceptional effort by the Jets. They were exhausted, but they never let it show. They should have won that game, but Heinz Field continues to be a kicker's worst nightmare. It's unreal to believe the Steelers almost lost a game in which their defense only gave up 3 points, but that's how important special teams and defense are in the playoffs. Rothletshaveaburger looked like a rookie. The pregame reports of his having problems with his thumb make me think something was wrong with him because he was underthrowing guys all day.

Why the Steelers are throwing the ball so much in this game is one of the great mysteries of life I have yet to figure out. They could win this game easily if they would focus on running the ball more. Theire making it unecessarily difficult for themselves.
Damn straight. I don't think I saw the Steelers throw that much, espicially on 1st down, all season long. They got lucky today, but that won't happen against the Pats or the Colts. Steelers fans should be sweating bullets.

Meanwhile, the Rams and Falcons have traded quick touchdowns on the fast turf of the Georgia Dome.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:45:28 PM
Ben (can't spell his last name) looked very much like a Rookie. This is why I would never want a Rookie QB leading my team in the playoffs. Hard to rely on. And the Falcons game looks like it might be a shootout.

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2005, 07:45:32 PM
Great run by Dunn! It's a shame he wasn't there for the Bucs Superbowl run. :cry

Yog
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:41:59 PM
Looking good for Falcons now. 14 point lead

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2005, 10:44:22 PM
The Falcons just looked dominant they have a very good team could even make it to the SB again.

Yog
Jan 15th, 2005, 10:50:26 PM
Very well played by the Falcons, and proportinally bad by the Rams. One wonders how they got to the playoffs, let alone how they got to the second round.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:09:48 PM
They got in because of the bad NFC. Jacksonville and Buffalo are both better and they didn't even make the playoffs. I think Minnesota is going to go crashing down in flames tomorrow or at least I hope.

jjwr
Jan 15th, 2005, 11:29:01 PM
Steelers offense is sad, no way they win against the Colts with that offense, the Colts on a bad day will drop 27 on ya and the Steelers secondary is their weak point.

Good for the Falcons! I picked the Rams but the Falcons are fun to watch.

Yog
Jan 16th, 2005, 04:14:05 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I think Minnesota is going to go crashing down in flames tomorrow or at least I hope.

Man, I hope so too. If they dont, I will wear the avatar of Randy Moss for a month. Anyone feel like counterbetting? :p

JMK
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:58:46 AM
I hereby change my pick for this afternoon's game to the Eagles. I learned my lesson with the Rams last night.

What's the likelihood of Doug O'Brien being released at season's end? ;)

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2005, 12:05:00 PM
Steelers offense is sad, no way they win against the Colts with that offense, the Colts on a bad day will drop 27 on ya and the Steelers secondary is their weak point.
As bad as their passing game was, they still ran the ball well against a very good Jets defense. That part of their offense was business as usual. Also, they still managed to put 20 pts, all on offense, not special teams or defense. If Big Ben lays another egg next week, they'll lose for sure. But if he puts up his typical 15-22, 200yds, 2TD, 1 INT, then the Steelers will more than likely win next week. But whoever goes into Heinz Field next week is going to be very confident after watching the Steelers struggle yesterday.

Yog
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:07:59 PM
LOL! Did you see Eagles third touchdown? That was probably the most insane touchdown I ever seen.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:39:15 PM
Yet another reason why I wouldn't want Randy Undisciplined Moon on my team. That was a well designed fake FG the Vikings called. Their mistake was relying on Moss to remember he was suppose to fake going to the sidelines and then sprint to the end zone. Way to go putz. The Vikings caught a break at the end of the half, that was a gimme FG the Eables blew by throwing that last pass over the middle. Man, the breaks are all going the Eagles way so far.

Yog
Jan 16th, 2005, 01:48:59 PM
Yeah, Moss really messed up on that one. And it may turn very decisive. Instead of catching up on Eagles lead, Vikings are still trailing behind with 14 points going into the third quarter. Philadelfia also had their fair share of luck on a few situations.

Besides that, I see Philadelfia as a much stronger team than Vikings. I mean, they rested Westbrook for the last couple of games for crying out loud, and look how much he means in this game. This is the playoffs, not some meaningless games at the end of the season.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2005, 03:08:18 PM
The Vikings spent much of the second half on the Eagles side of the 50, but self destructed everytime they got close to the red zone. You have to give credit to the Eagles defense. They stiffened up every time the Vikings tried to get back in the game. The Eagles looked much sharper than I expected them to, on offense and defense.

It looks like the botched FG wasn't Moss fault, but he's such a jerk that it's my natural instinct to blame him for anything that goes wrong. A late TD by the Vikings will probably get overturned by an Eagles challenge. Oh well, my big upset pick has blown up in my face.

Yog
Jan 16th, 2005, 03:50:22 PM
Well, Im pretty pleased that Moss did not do much in this game, except getting thoroughly covered by the Eagles cornerbacks. We even missed his "3 x times worse" TD celebration.. maybe next year :p

I was very impressed by Eagles team effort. They got some good things going for them both on defense and on offense. In all fairness though, Vikings had their chances. They just missed to many opportunities and made to many mistakes and bad calls to give Eagles a close fight.

Some things I noticed:

- Whenever they were going to throw the ball, McNabb got plenty of space and time to do so. Vikings defense were simply not able to get in the pocket to disturb him, which of course makes it easier to find a player to throw to, allowing for big gains and first downs.

- Westbrook was all over the field, causing Vikings defense lots of headache. Like the Fox commentators said, "where is Waldo!?". They were never able to keep in check, which opened up some room for the receivers.

- Philadelfia had no less than 3 receivers doing a good job in absence of Terrel Owens. Even without their star receiver, they still have a great throwing game.

- Eagles defense could both effectively stop Vikings running AND throwing game. Whenever Culpepper tried to send the ball to Moss, the cornerbacks were all over him. Whenever Vikings or Culpepper tried to run the ball, the Eagles responded quickly to close the gaps.

To summarise; a well balanced team that could go all the way to Super Bowl with decent winning chances. I am maybe not a fan outright, but I rather like the Eagles. Which is more than can be said for a lot of the other teams in the NFC..

Next week, its Atlanta vs Philadelfia. Despite Falcons impressive efforts against the Rams, I still think the Eagles will come out on top. Homefield advantage makes a big difference, and I suspect Atlanta will find their running game hit a wall with Eagles defense. At the same time, they will find theire facing a versatile offense. The Eagles have the winning spirit right now and the margins on their side. They look like a championship team.

TONIGHT, I really look forward to Colts/Pats game. Thats the big game of the week. Hard to say who will win, although I really hope Colts win it with their awesome offense. Besides, its time for some other team than Patriots to win it. I will hold my thumbs for Manning and Edgarin James to pull it off, despite New Englands homefield advantage and possible disturbances in form of bad weather.

I feel Colts deserved a spot in the SB having some of the most profiled players in the NFL this season. I mean look at their team.. Manning, Edgarin James, and their receivers. Theire simply awesome and a fun team to watch :D

Yog
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:13:01 PM
No touchdowns in the first two quarters! Who would have thought that?

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:16:01 PM
BOTH defenses played well in the first half. As usual, the Pats made things difficult, but Manning avoided throwing the killer INT. No one expected a 6-3 game at halftime. I expect both offenses to get the ball in the end zone in the second half. This one is going down to the last few possessions. :crack

Yes, the Eagles looked good on both sides of the ball. I really didn't expect them to look that sharp after finishing the season so poorly. Next week should be great. Both defenses are among the best in the conference. I can't wait to see what Vick can do. I don't expect another 100yds rushing from him, but if he gets over 50 I think the Falcons will make it to the Superbowl.

Yog
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:21:48 PM
The good thing when a game is as close as this, its very exciting and difficult to predict who is going to win. Both teams are capable to score a couple of TDs in quick succession. The game is balancing on a razor thin edge, it can tip both ways :)

PS. Where are the rest of the football fanatics? Guess theire just watching the games and not wasting their time posting. I think its just me and you around Jedieb :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:48:03 PM
I am here now. Honestly, the snow is playing a huge role in the game. Still, that was a heck of a drive led by Dillion and Brady. Brady made two great passes there at the end of the drive.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:21:21 PM
That turnover is the final nail in the coffin. The thing is, you can't say Manning had a bad game. The Pats defense, particularly the linebackers, had an AMAZING game. No bad throws or INT's, but time after time Manning would drop back and no one would be open. 3 or 4 dropped passes didn't help any.

I swear, it's like watching Marino play the Bills in the 90's all over again.

Yog
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:34:30 PM
Yeah, its all over. The Pats defense was amazing this game. I gotta admit, after watching the second half, I turned into a Patriots believer. Theire simply too good, and I dont see how any team will stop them from defending their championship title.

I say that with both admiration and sadness, because New England are so supreme and in a class of their own right now. They look a bit like a dynasty, and I am not a big fan of dynasties.

Figrin D'an
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:43:20 PM
Like Tom Jackson said on NFL Countdown this morning... "If not now, when?" With Indy again not being able to get anything going offensively against the Patriots, one has to ask when, if ever, will Manning and Co. be able to go into Foxboro and win when it counts? The circumstances were almost perfect for the Colts offense, but yet again, they couldn't get it done. New England's defense is in the heads of the Colts receivers.

The old adage is holding true thusfar... defense win championships. The four remaining teams were all in the top 10 in total defense during the regular season.

Yog
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:05:00 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Like Tom Jackson said on NFL Countdown this morning... "If not now, when?" With Indy again not being able to get anything going offensively against the Patriots, one has to ask when, if ever, will Manning and Co. be able to go into Foxboro and win when it counts?

You know, people used to say similar things about the Red Sox.. it took them long enough though :lol

The old adage is holding true thusfar... defense win championships. The four remaining teams were all in the top 10 in total defense during the regular season.

Yeah, it seems the best championship teams are those with a good balance of defense and offense. I suppose that goes without saying, but these playoffs just solidified that in practice. If you dont have a good defense, you wont win the superbowl, its that simple. What makes New England look so amazing is they have no apparent weaknesses.

The thing is, you can't say Manning had a bad game. The Pats defense, particularly the linebackers, had an AMAZING game. No bad throws or INT's, but time after time Manning would drop back and no one would be open. 3 or 4 dropped passes didn't help any.

Agreed, this was not Mannings fault. Every time he would throw, there was an anthive of New England players swarming over the receivers. They were so effective its stunning to think about. Peyton had no room to throw in, as the receivers could not break lose from the iron tight cover. I could see from the bodylanguage he was in a state of disbelief how effective they were, and there was not a single thing he could do about it. Must have been extremely frustrating.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:18:09 PM
Great game by New England, especially the defense and Dillon. So when was the last time the top 4 seeds all made it to the Championship game?

JMK
Jan 16th, 2005, 07:24:13 PM
And so a record breaking season for Peyton and the Colts come crashing to an an embarassing end.

The were ruled by a team without it's 2 biggest defensive players and they showed the world how to stop the Colts attack.

Early in the game it was painfully obvious that Manning was very frustrated and was not going to have a good day, and he didn't. Year after year he's showing how not mentally tough he is when the chips are down.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:23:11 PM
I don't think you can say he wasn't mentally tough. What exactly was he suppose to do? The Colts dropped 2 catchable balls in the first half, both killed drives. Time after time he had to throw the ball in the ground because the Pats had screens completely covered. And where was Edge? He and the line couldn't break off one single big run. The Pats DB's and linebackers blanketed the Colts receivers and somehow, the line was able to still pressure Manning. If you ask me, the biggest blunder the Colts made on offense was not going to the no-huddle more often. Hell, the should have played the whole game that way. It would have limited NE's substitutions and not given them time to adjust their defensive calls, but for some reason, the Colts never went to it in the second half until it was far too late.

Next week should be great. Now we'll see if the thrashing the Steelers gave the Pats was a fluke. I think Ben laying an egg this week may have been a blessing in disguise. He knows what it's like in the playoffs now and any butterflies should be gone. But Cowher is on the line here as well. This is yet another AFC Championship game at home for a Cowher team. Yesterday's near disaster against the Jets was another chapter of post season frustration for Cowher. Cowher did a great job against a more talented Dallas team in Superbowl 30, he needs to rise to the occasion again. He's got to get this HF playoff monkey off his back. The Steelers will probably be favored and I think that suits the Patriots just fine.

Figrin D'an
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:52:57 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
You know, people used to say similar things about the Red Sox.. it took them long enough though :lol

Much different animal. The Red Sox had years of close calls, with the rug being pulled out from underneath of them just as it seemed they had finally arrived (they even had won in New York on certain occasions, only to screw up in the World Series.)

This is domination by New England. Really, since the Pats won that shoot-out game in the RCA Dome against the Colts a couple of years ago, it seems as if Indy has had a mental block when it comes to playing the Pats. Their meeting in Week 1 was close, but Indy still was rather inept offensively in that game. When it counts (ie. playoffs), the Colts manage to not just get beaten, they seem to get pummeled (by the Jets a couple of years ago, and New England the past two years). Not to take away anything from the Pats... they've proved once again that they are the definition of a football team. But, the question remains... if Indy couldn't beat New England when the conditions were set in their favor, when will it happen?

It tells me that they aren't an elite team. Not yet. If they are to become a true elite team, they must get better on defense. If Manning and his receivers have an off-day, they don't win. It's that simple. On the real top teams (New England, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia), if one unit has a sub-par game, the other one steps up and gives the team a chance to win.

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2005, 09:58:36 PM
I must say that wasn't really the result I was expecting, I knew the Pats could beat the Colts but I was envisioning a higher scoring game with the Pats defense doing enough to keep the Colts down.

First two drives by the Colts were great, both 3 and outs but the Pats didn't score which made me nervous. Even after those early drives you could see Manning get flustered, whene he walks off the field shaking his head and talking to himself you know your doing a good job of defending him.

As the game went on you could see the Pats defenders getting more confidence, Bruschi had a monster game. As usual they would bend but not break, get key turnovers or key stops.

Obviously I'm a Pats fan so I'm jaded but this is definetly a special team, right now I don't think theres anything they can't do, any team they can't beat as a team. Until this team loses a big game I would pick them to win with my life on the line, they'r ejust flat out impressive.

The offense wasn't super sharp but they ran the ball well and Dillon had a great game, this was the reason they acquired him in the off-season.

I've been a Pats fan for a long time now and obviously they've never had a streak like this, its quite amazing to experience it first hand after all the bad years, it will come to a end but for now I'm going to enjoy it. They are a quality team with good character and no bad guys, a very easy team to root for.

As for Manning...wow, regardless that the loss wasn't his fault he will be blamed for it and they will say he can't win the big one. Like Jedieb said a lot of key drops killed some quality drives they had going, real momentum killers.

Pats secondary played a great game, no spectacular 3 INT games like Law last year but good enough that they didn't make any big mistakes, just played good solid football.

Bring on Pittsburgh!

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2005, 10:20:57 PM
I think NE can beat Pittsburgh. They lost that game without Dillion lets see what happens now. Also NE's strength is stopping the run which is Pittsburgh strength I think that will be a big problem for them in that game. As for the NFC title game, really Philly will need to contain Vick to win that game if not they can forget it.

Yog
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:09:11 AM
Don Banks at Sport Illustrated says Pats going to win it all again, and that he is so sure of it we can write it down. I hate to say it, but I agree with him:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/01/16/patriots.colts/index.html

JMK
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:15:52 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I don't think you can say he wasn't mentally tough.

As the QB, you've got to be the one to lead your team out there with confidence, and Manning's body language was ALL WRONG. He was frustrated and he let everyone know it. Game over for the Colts.

I fully expect the Pats to come out and beat the Steelers at their own game.

jjwr
Jan 17th, 2005, 10:20:17 AM
Good point JMK, Manning just look beat after about the 3rd quarter. Lots of guys were dropping balls but when you have the league MVP sitting back there shaking your head how much confidence can you have?

JMK
Jan 17th, 2005, 01:02:15 PM
IMO he looked beat after their 3rd series, nevermind the 3rd quarter. When he threw the ball into the ground on a 3rd and long play and then stomped off to the sidelines screaming I knew he had already lost his composure.

Anuis Ma'artra
Jan 18th, 2005, 12:43:09 PM
Go Steelers, I hate the Patriots. I'm not sure why I hate them so much, I think its like how I hate Kentucky basketball, just something about them really boils my blood.

Jedieb
Jan 18th, 2005, 02:49:38 PM
One of the things that had him shaking his head were those monster 14-16 play drives the Pats reeled off. That must have been beyond frustrating. The Pats are the most dominant team the NFL has seen since the Jimmy Johnson led Cowboys. A team so good that even on Switzer control it still managed to eke out another Superbowl. The Pats are GREAT, no doubt about it. But I still think they'll be evenly matched when they head into Heinz Field next Sunday.

The Pats are 3pt favorites. You can credit that to several factors;
1) their impressive thumping of the Coltspe
2) the Steelers narrow victory over the Jets
3) everyone suddenly remembers they're the defending champs

I still think the Steelers are going to win. Their defense last Saturday was just as impressive as the Pats. They only gave up 3 pts. It's not a weak #1 like last year's Cowboys, it's for real. The Steelers and Pats beat people up. Rothletshaveaburger will rebound and have a much better game and Cowher would be nuts to have him throw on 1st down as much as he did against the Jets. I expect the Pats to try to force him to throw. The Steelers can counter this by putting Big Ben on the move. The kids throws well on the run. Plus, the Steelers receivers are probably the most physical in the league. Wards WANTS to be jammed at the line. He lives for it. Plaxico is a big tough receiver that doesn't shy away from contact either. These guys know how to block on run support and they know how to work physical DB's.

Back to the running game, Bettis, theN Duece, then back to Bettis. All game long the Steelers will have a fresh back that loves to pound the ball. Both teams are going to try and win the time of possession. I think the Steelers are better suited at doing this. Finally, the Steelers have one thing going for them that no other team in the league does, they BEAT the Pats. Unlike Manning and the rest of the league, there's no lingering doubt in the back of their mind. They don't have that, "Here we go again....." mentality to combat. Oh, Cowher has his own demons to battle, but they're not tied into the Pats.

A Roadie Has To Win!
The last time both home teams won in the championship round was the last time Favre played well in a playoff game, the Pats/Packers Superbowl. At least 1 road team has won since then. I heard that on Mike & Mike this morning and couldn't believe my ears. I think the roadie winner this week will be Atlanta. I believe in their defense. As much as I enjoyed Freddie "insert a nickname" Mitchell's post game comments, I don't think he'll be able to match that performance against a much better Falcons defense. The Eagles have a great defense, but is it a match for DVD? The Bucs have the blueprint for frustrating Vick and the Falcons, but I honestly don't know if the Eagles have that kind of speed on defense. That's what it's going to take, speed and discipline. The Pats have the kind of linebackers and DB's that could torture Vick, but I don't know if the Eagles do. Plus, no home crowd is more ripe to turn on their team like Philly fans. You can expect that place to get ugly if the Eagles find themselves trailing after their first offensive series. Poor McNab, I honestly feel sorry for him if he doesn't finally make it to the big game.

Yog
Jan 18th, 2005, 03:45:08 PM
Excellent analysis, Jedieb. Although, by the looks of things I will pick the excact opposite of your picks :)

JMK
Jan 18th, 2005, 04:01:02 PM
Ah the unpredictability of the NFL.

So many variables, so many questions to be answered.

• How much does the Steelers win over the Pats really mean considering Dillon didn't play?

• How much longer can Roethlisberger withstand the pressure? He looked shaky at best vs the Jets, and IMO it wasn't rust from a 2-week layoff. How will he fare against a much better Pats team?

• What does it mean to be a 14-2 defending champ onthe cusp of being a dynasty, playing on the road, against a 15-1 team that many consider to be the best in the NFL today?

• Will Donovan McNabb finally get over the hump?

• Will Vick steal the show and send the Eagles home in the NFC championchip game again? How will the Eagles contain him?

I'm literally going to flip a coin this weekend. I can see the trend of the Pats winning continuing, and I can see the Eagles continue to struggle. A lot of accolades will be awarded this weekend, and some stiff criticism too should things go wrong.

• If the Pats win, they're one step closer to a dynasty. Brady is one step closer to immortality, if he isn't there already.

• If the Steelers lose, Cowher will get blasted for his inability to win at home. I think Roethlisberger gets a pass should he lose the game, unless he throws a boatload of picks.

• If the Eagles lose...well say goodbye to Philly. It's off the map and McNabb is in BIG trouble there.

• If the Falcons win, Vick is a giant killer, and will undoubtedly be considered the biggest game breaker in the NFL today, and people will rethink whether or not he should have gotten more MVP votes. Afterall, what is the definition of value? Take Vick away from the Falcons and they struggle to 8-8. Take Manning away from the Colts and they still win more than they lose.

Jedieb
Jan 18th, 2005, 08:30:21 PM
Excellent analysis, Jedieb. Although, by the looks of things I will pick the excact opposite of your picks
:lol

I'm probably going to go with the Steelers and Atlanta and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to go to bed Sunday night 0-2. Like JMK said, it's an unpredictable league and that's why I love it.

Now as much as jjwr loves the Pats, I dispise them and Brady. It's an old AFC East thing. But the Pats have been denied the recognition they deserve. If the Cowboys or Niners had put together a run like this the whole country would be singing their praises. "Greatest team ever, blah, blah, blah." I think the Pats like it that way. They want that chip on their shoulder. I may hate them, but I give them the props they deserve. They're the champs until a team like the Steelers pries the Lombardi Trophy from their cold, dead hands!

jjwr
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:26:00 PM
Great breakdowns by all, all the major points have pretty much been covered.

As for the weekend, I'm obviously picking the Pats, no clue yet on the NFC. I can see either game going either way though, could be a home sweep, could be a road sweep, should definetly be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think this Pats team knows they aren't getting the national attention other teams would get, they get plenty in the sports world from the maor columnists but as a whole it isn't what it should be. They know this, they want their dynasty. Guys like Bruschi, Brown, Pfifer, MicGinest, et al have been great players on this team but miss out on Pro-Bowls, All Pro's, etc and this would be thier validation and their legacy.

I know how you feel Jedieb, I hate the Jets like you hate the Pats.

Vick is great, I hope the Falcons make the SB just to see Vick on that stage.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 18th, 2005, 11:47:12 PM
I think the Eagles can control Vick. The last two times they had played him they stopped. Plus the game is outdoors and it will be cold maybe even snow. I can't see Vick doing well in those conditions and since they have horrible WR's I think Philly will finally get to the SB. NE will beat Pittsburgh. I don't trust a rookie in a big game and Brady has been there done that and will lead the Pats back to the SB.

JMK
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:03:18 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I think the Eagles can control Vick. The last two times they had played him they stopped. Plus the game is outdoors and it will be cold maybe even snow. I can't see Vick doing well in those conditions and since they have horrible WR's I think Philly will finally get to the SB.

Don't forget what Vick did all by himself, with a worse team than he has now in Lambeau 2 years ago. Of course, the 2002 Packers aren't the 2004 Eagles, but no one had won a playoff game at Lambeau in quite some time before Vick brought his wrecking ball there.

Jedieb
Jan 19th, 2005, 04:43:36 PM
Philly is suppose to get snow this weekend. That may force me to pick both home teams, but I'll probably just go with the teams I'll be rooting for.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:44:26 PM
Well he didn't have snow in Lambeau, if he has snow, Vick will have major problems because of footing.