PDA

View Full Version : Dragonball Z Budokai 3

Charley
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:47:23 PM
Lets air out a few things:

1. Its not cool to like DBZ

2. I really do not care about #1

3. It's essentially animated pro wrestling anyways

4. Unlike most crappy anime out there, it doesn't take itself seriously, which is a breath of fresh air.

5. The DBZ Budokai fighting games are one of the greatest guilty pleasures I have ever played.

The latest installment in the Budokai series is simply awesome. With over 40 playable characters, cell-shaded animation, destructible maps, and more special items and powerups to shake a stick at, its a very solid fighting game. It manages to keep the mechanics and fundamentals of a two-player arcade engine in tact, while revelling in the kind of over-the-top fighting moves that somebody who is a fan of Final Fantasy games might enjoy.

The super moves in the game are exactly that - super powerful, super long, and super entertaining. One guy delivers a kill shot that is so massive, it leaves a Texas-sized crater in the earth, which you incidentally see the results of when you're fighting in a smoking ruin of a map after the fact. Other quintessentially DBZ effects are in as well. Power-ups such as Super Saiyan and the new dragon mode are a vital trump card in a fight, and with the Dragon Mode powerup, you do more damage to and recieve less damage from somebody who isn't in Dragon Mode. The payoff is the limited time it is available, and the fact that you can exhaust yourself extremely quickly, leaving you open to an undefended attack.

There are some impressive combo attacks in the game as well, which require the attacker to press a button combination to pull off successfully. If the defender matches the attacker's button choice at any of the four intervals in the combo, they can stop it in its tracks. This means that performing the full combo is a rare, but brutal occurrence.

Sarr Koon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:58:02 PM
This is one game where I really disagree with Game Informer. This game had a really small paragraph in the review section and they gave it a 5/10 or something like that. What tards...seriously.

Charley
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:22:32 PM
I really don't pay attention to the reviews given by websites or media groups. I know what I like for the most part, and it doesn't take a publication to tell me that.

Garret Treborn
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:39:39 PM
true, but i check out some reviews by fans and magazines/websites to get an idea of what the masses think of a game. so far the only magazine and site to give DBZ 3 a bad review is GI.