PDA

View Full Version : The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Charley
Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:55:50 AM
I'll admit, this is the first Wes Anderson film I've had the pleasure of seeing, and I am completely in love with the movie. Its the second funniest movie I've seen this year (behind Team America) and with the intelligence and drama woven into the comedy, its one of the smartest films I've seen in a while. Bill Murray and Jeff Goldblum crack some of the funniest jokes in the most deadpan and dry manners ever What's your dog's name? Cody? WHACK!, and Willem Dafoe's fawning German subordinate character is so desperately trying to be the son that Steve Zissou never had, who incidentally is played well by Owen Wilson. Angelica Huston and Cate Blanchett round it out and play excellent parts as well.

Its so hard to fit this movie into any kind of category. Its extremely funny, sometimes sad, sometimes so irreverent that you have to take a mental snapshot at a scene for its complete absurdity the sight of guys in wetsuits and red tobaggens scampering across a deserted island with glocks in hand to terrible techno music is so grossly absurd that I can't forget it. In the end, you feel like you've had a breath of fresh air, and leave the theater feeling great. I can honestly say it was well worth my money.

CMJ
Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:00:35 PM
I enjoyed it quite a bit too. Anderson has a unique style to all of his films. Rent Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. TRT is by far my favorite of his canon.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:15:10 PM
TRT was awesome - I love it. I probably won't be able to see The Life Aquatic until it comes out on video - too much to do between yesterday and tomorrow.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:15:09 PM
I would definately see it again if given half the chance. Like Charley said, the music coupled with certain scenes are what really made everything beatifully surreal and enchanting.

Especially when Goldblum's character gets shot - just the look he gave Steve, then saying "Steve, you're here to rescue me?" before getting plugged - I think I lost it at that point

Peter McCoy
Jan 9th, 2005, 01:11:47 PM
I saw the trailer when I went to see...

...I can't remember. But I know I was on my own. Or was I with friends from Uni? I can't remember, but I really like the look of this film. I hope it gets released over here soon.

Loki Ahmrah
Feb 25th, 2005, 12:44:40 PM
Peter and I went to see this today and I think I can speak on his behalf when I say that we are in agreement with everything Charley has said about this film. It was excellent; a thoroughly enjoyable blend of humour, drama and character poured into an interestingly realised and rather unique film. I'd advise anyone with a zany sense of humour or a lust for enjoyable ensamble performances - the cast, as both actors and characters, was wonderful - you should definately check this one out. Plenty of memorable moments to take home with you.

Mu Satach
Mar 3rd, 2005, 10:09:39 PM
Originally posted by Charley
Its extremely funny, sometimes sad, sometimes so irreverent that you have to take a mental snapshot at a scene for its complete absurdity the sight of guys in wetsuits and red tobaggens scampering across a deserted island with glocks in hand to terrible techno music is so grossly absurd that I can't forget it.

I lost it during that whole sequence. That one and the bit where Murray runs around in the speedo & bathrobe, taking out the pirates on a mad shooting spree.

I enjoyed TRT, but I think I'm going to have to buy this one.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 10th, 2005, 07:20:10 PM
ok, I know this is thread necromancy, but oh well. I just picked up my reserved copy of the two-disc special edition Life Aquatic. And because I reserved it, I got a free red Team Zissou tobaggen :D

Droo
May 10th, 2005, 07:49:14 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
And because I reserved it, I got a free red Team Zissou tobaggen :D

I am so jealous! I want one. I hope we get the same offer: where did you order it from?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 10th, 2005, 07:58:13 PM
I reserved it last month at Suncoast :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 10th, 2005, 08:23:33 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
ok, I know this is thread necromancy, but oh well. I just picked up my reserved copy of the two-disc special edition Life Aquatic. And because I reserved it, I got a free red Team Zissou tobaggen :D

Pictures!!