PDA

View Full Version : Thief's Reward

Khendon Sevon
Dec 30th, 2004, 12:24:16 PM
If space could be set ablaze, it had just been. Instantly, and from nowhere, an inferno had formed in the void. Bright, white lances of light shot out in all directions. Jagged spears of energy appeared in every shape and size imaginable.

A rumble, deep and powerful, ran from the belly of the Viscera. “Sir! We’ve lost reactor shielding!” shouted a panicked voice.

Khendon’s jaw was clenched, his eyes filled with dark passion, fist tight, his soul burned with anger and hatred. The Imperator’s voice raged, “Prepare all sensor nodes! I want all of the surrounding space to be dissected thoroughly!”

The cruiser shook violently. “Jettisoning reactor rods three and four, initiating emergency shutdown of rod two,” the officer’s words wavered as he frantically attempted to save the ship’s generators.

A scientist on the bridge frowned, “I hope that tear in hyperspace closes…”

Khendon looked at the Imperial researcher, face knotting in anger, “IT IS OF NO MATTER!” The Imperator stood, black cloak taking to the air, rising with his rage. “Hell itself could pour forth from that rip in space and I would meet it head on with not but my fists so that I might save Kyry!”

The scientist was taken back, his face turned white as he was reminded of Khendon’s earlier choking of the commander of the vessel. “I’m sorry, Imperator,” he swallowed hard, “I was… It’s just… I’m sorry.”

It had taken five minutes to stabilize the Viscera’s remaining reactor rods. Space around the vessel had finally returned to normal as the microscopic tear sealed itself. Space seemed covered in soot black as night now that the light had faded.

Khendon was breathing hard, his stomach felt like it would revoke access to his lunch. A sharp pain pounded in his chest. The Imperial’s head felt like someone had taken an ice pick to it. “Status on the scans,” mumbled Khendon from the storm.

“The sector is clear except for one minute detail… an escape pod shouting on the Federacy emergency frequency. But, Sir, it’s not a Federacy pod.”

“Scan it, pick it up, and dump out the contents, in the mean time,” Khendon’s eyes shot up menacingly, “make best speed for Virmeude.”

“Sir? That’s Sovereignty territory—“

“That it is, that it is.” The Viscera slipped into hyperspace for the short, cross-boarder jaunt.

Telan Desaria
Dec 31st, 2004, 10:55:01 AM
Headquarters of the First Fleet

Conossis, Viremeude

Alarm klaxons had shouted without warning or pretense, their annoying reverberations masterfully executing their assigned tasks - to wake and fill with alarm every Imperial within range.

" Shut that damned thing off," screamed General Esst as he entered the command centre. His voice boomed, outdoing the thunderous echo from outside as the capital city once again found itself engulfed from a typhoon blown in from the sea. A technician answered the General's orders with the flick of a swich of his station.

" Report," the rugged-face officer demanded, moving over next to a plot table depicting the layout of system-wide defenses. A solitary red orb losenge on the table was making itself known and pointed like a dagger at the heart of the system.

" A vessel exited hyperspace at an unassigned vector," replied the Officer of the Watch, a young Major. " We ran its IFF codes and she's a Federal ship; it's the Viscera. Specifications are unknown but she is just over a hundred meters. Looks like shes been through hell."

" Weapons?"

" All of her systems are powered up. No shields have yet been raised," replied a scanner crewman.

" Let's not waist anytime. Inform High Command and Grand Admiral Desaria. Put all Fleet units on alert. In the mean time, move the 20th and 21st into position and deploy all ground-based fighters and assault ships. Train the defensive guns on that ship but do not fire.

" We'll wait for higher orders before we start another war..."

Khendon Sevon
Dec 31st, 2004, 11:27:35 AM
The Viscera sat in a patch of space like any other. The main separating characteristic was only visible on the map of the system. A thin green line prevented Federacy space from merging with Sovereignty territory, and Khendon had just left the safety of his own government’s holdings.

“We are running at 40% reactor capacity, Sir.”

“Hold here, for the moment, Commander. Allow Lieutenant Papperson to the bridge with Colonel Rahgus.” Khendon stood, eyes stormy gray, and straightened his black tunic. Silver armor shone brightly in juxtaposition with the midnight darkness of his garb. The Imperator forced his emotions to calm, commanded control over the hell brewing deep inside.

Within seconds the door to the bridge slid open and a heavily armored stormguardsman helped in a frail looking man. The war-torn soldier relied on his left leg heavily and blinked furiously as he approached the Khendon.

“My Imperator,” said Papperson with a fist to his chest and slight bow, “I have brought the Colonel.”

Khendon’s eyes lost their edge at the sight of Rahgus, tortured and beaten. “My friend,” said the former Vice-Diktat shakily as he ran to the unarmored, battered stormguardsman. “What have those dogs done to you?”

Rahgus smiled weakly, his face was so pail, eyes tired and dull. “Imperator,” he spoke softly and with effort, “I’m so sorry. So, so sorry.” The officer shook his head and fell to his knees.

Papperson removed the helm from his head, his own face was full of color and emotion, “Khendon, they’ve removed some of his memory. He’s lost months of recollection… his neural interface metabolized… but they searched anyway, those fools!”

Emotions welled up inside Khendon. He could feel his heart begin to race, his blood surge. The maelstrom returned to his eyes. A dark anger rose from the bottom of the Imperator’s soul. “Prepare for micro-jump, destination,” Khendon paused for a second and processed his current location, “Virm Minor.”

Telan Desaria
Dec 31st, 2004, 06:04:50 PM
Headquarters, Mayagil Sector Fleet

Tarkin City, Eriadu

The Grand Admiral rarely got to enjoy the company of his officers and was thus very glad to have taken time out of his schedule to dine with Vice Admiral Messhir. They had met only a handful of times and aside from dining once before the aborted First Solaarian War has socialized little.

He greatly enjoyed the evening as delicacy after delicacy was served, each man ravishing the dish placed in front of him. Jokes abounded, most of which were not fitting of two men wearing the uniforms of flag officers. Guards had been posted outside, however, and the pair were free to discuss matters from the horrid season of Xucphra City's shockball team - it lost its last game with Zaltinville by forty-nine points - to the pair of Seydlitz-class Heavy Cruisers newly built an assigned to Mayagil.

" Oh, they're fine ships," Messhir commented, tearing a piece of pheasant from his fork. " Considerably overpowered and heavily gunned. However, they have been known to leak fretonite during gas disposal. Now during a battle, though the chance is unlikely, one good hit will ignite the waste system of all things and tear the reactor apart!"

" Yes." The Grand Admiral removed the last of a pillowy mound of potatoes from his plate. " The fretonite is a byproduct of the STL-4s. Perhaps you can work on a field modification - store the fretonite and dispose of it during regular solid waste discharges. Take the random gas system off-line."

" I was thinking about that but before I could suggest it one of my flag captains, Jurris, reminded me if the corazin is not discharged regularly the confined space of the processor will allow it to combust. And of course - -they are on the same system."

" Hmmm." The Grand Admiral pursed his lips, giving his mind over to a possible solution. He opened his mouth to suggest a method...

" Grand Admiral!"

An orderly came through the doors with two Fleet Assault Corps troopers in tow, a cryshad in one hand and sweat on his brow. He had obviously been running from wherever he had been. Desaria had no sympathy, however - he did not want to be disturbed.

" Xucphra City had better be under siege Lieutenant." Messhir spoke for Desaria, himself also pleased at the interruption of stresses of fleet command.

" Worse," the Lieutenant panted. " A Federacy warship has arrived at Virmeude."

The Grand Admiral ripped the cloth napkin from his lap, tossed it ont o the table and stormed through the doors. As best he could, he cast an apologetic look to his dining companion. Removing a comlink from his belt, he let the lieutenant lead on towards a waiting shuttle.

" Captain Voltaire - have the ship prepared to leave in fifteen minutes. Ready all weapons and stand-to battlestations. Lay in course for Virmeude and engage as soon as my shuttle is within the inertial dampening field."

One Hour Later...

General Esst placed thumb over his middle finger and flicked, sending the butt of a death-stick flying through the stale air of First Fleet command. Captain Ursance looked down laconicly from his seated position and read with a grin the Rauchen Verbotten sign nearby.

" What the bloody hell is taking them so long? If they get within range of the planetary turbolaser network I'll incinerate that little thing. It has moved just slowly enough a little too close for comfort."

Captain Ursance placed a comforting hand on Esst's padded shoulder. " Not to worry - if they enter orbit, you won't have to. The Fleet will do the rest."

Esst nodded to the naval officer, acting commander of Battle Group 12, the composition of the orbiting two cruiser squadrons. He knew what sort of firepower those units could marshal - after all, a total of eight SDT-4 cannon were emplaced upon warships throughout.

" General, Captain. We have another hyperspace approach. This one is bound for Ingress Lance 4."

They're here, Esst was relieved to think, even more so as he saw what kind of ship had arrived. He listened as it broadcast over every channel.

" This is Grand Admiral Telan Desaria. Federal warship - state your intentions."

Khendon Sevon
Jan 1st, 2005, 12:42:26 PM
The Viscera had been plodding towards Virm Minor. Her sleek form appeared as only a shadow on a black backdrop. The stealthy craft currently appeared like a normal corvette, small and underpowered in terms of weaponry. However, there was a sinister reason for her slow movement.

“How are we doing?” said Khendon impatiently.

“The reactor is nearly at 70%,” said a young technician.

“We’ve nearly completed calculations, the Guardians are fueled and waiting for your confirmation, Imperator.”

The former Vice-Diktat frowned as he sensed a communication incoming, “On main screen.”

A darkness fell on Khendon as he wet his lips for the impending speech. His heart leapt out of his chest. They have my wife and my child. They’ve hurt a loyal friend and confidant. They’ve undermined my authority. I have nothing, they’ve taken it all. I will, take, it, BACK!

"This is Grand Admiral Telan Desaria. Federal warship - state your intentions."

My intentions! State your own, Desaria! “This is Khendon Sevon, Imperator of the Imperial Federacy,” the former Vice-Diktat allowed a moment for his words to sink in. “Wrongs have been enacted against the people of the Federacy by the Sovereignty. Lives have been put in the balance, others taken.

“Death walks through space, her saber’s tip, so recently pointed at ones precious to me, shall now find its mark on Sovereignty flesh! Two Sevons have been taken from my arms!” A fire began to grow in the chest of the Imperial; his eyes took on a new, wild, unchecked ferocity.

“Two loved ones wretched from my care,” hot tears steamed from the leader’s eyes and stained his cheeks, “Kyryanu shall be my battle cry! May that name strike at your heart!

“A blood pact I make today! Unless those that have been taken are returned, I will burn every Sovereignty city, slay every man, woman, and child! None shall live in glee while my family is separated! You have my word, Desaria, blood will be spilled unless justice is given to me!

“Give me back my wife, now, and give me all who conspired, all, who, in the mist of night, conceived to take from me my joy! And I will only punish the Sovereignty mildly for its dishonor! For its attack on my blood! MY FAMILY!” Khendon’s heart was racing, he felt dizzy with anger.

Telan Desaria
Jan 1st, 2005, 12:56:16 PM
The decking vibrated slightly with the hum of drive engines below and a reactor stretching two kilometers of the length of the Super Star Destroyer. The Grand Admiral allowed the familiar thrum to pulse through his veins, through his very essence, reminding him he was a man of the Empire - a military man.

He had listened with an intense gaze as the words passed from the Imperator's lips to his ears, listened to the faint but noticeable waivering as emotion overcame evil. That something had happened to that man, that rival of the Empire, that had hurt him so deeply he was ready to watch his own empire rumble before him. Certainly the Federacy had power, its technology unsurpassed, but the Empire had tactical skill and powerful warships. Though those ships bore the traditional markings of Destroyers and cruisers, they would be victorious. Victory was assured in such a conflit - but so was a price tag, one so high that not all the money from all the bacta could sooth such an aching wound. Millions would die and given the feral tone to Sevon's voice, those deaths would not be limited to uniformed military personnel. Civilians would die.

As a flag officer, Desaria had a duty to the men under his command - he would not betray them by showing emotion himself. He could not. Just as the enemy could not be shown weakness, the quarter-million soldiers crewmen and officers aboard could not be in its presence.

" Imperator Sevon. What wrong do you speak of? I know of no incursion into Federal Space. The units of the First Fleet have remained at their stations dutifully waiting an assault from your forces that has never come. My other forces are committed in battle. I can give you my word that no ship, no offier of the Imperial Military has wronged you. What is this you speak of, Sevon?!"

Khendon Sevon
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:16:36 PM
Khendon’s face became cold and sharp, his eyes narrowed to slits and evil wrote its foul grin on his lips. “Desaria, do you think me a fool!” It was not a question.

The Imperator looked to a technician and nodded sharply. Static filled the feed for a moment as the transmission was suddenly routed through thousands of satellites, some Federacy, others civilian, and many unknowing of the signal being harbored in their bandwidth.

A distortion occurred around the small, 125-meter vessel. First its engine wash vanished, then its engines, the rear housing, the mid section, and on and on until space was simply a void. Electronic signals, gravity readings, and all other emissions suddenly were nonexistent. It was as if the craft had been ripped from the folds of time and space by an invisible hand.

An urge welled up in the Imperator as he watched Desaria’s face. He was close enough, wasn’t he? Khendon clenched his fist and felt the muscles in his arm tighten in response. Your breath, I could take that away from you, Admiral… you should be weary, remember you are talking to one trained in the Dark Arts. Yet, as the former-Sith thought this, he knew he did not posses the ability.

“I’ll give you five minutes, Desaria, to make any inquiries you need. Five minutes. That is all,” Khendon cut the communication. He looked into the faces of those officers on the bridge. They all were veterans, hard faced, cut from stone. They would do what needed to be done.

Telan Desaria
Jan 1st, 2005, 01:56:07 PM
The Grand Admiral remained calm though inside, he raged. There was nothing more he would have liked than to rip through the nearest portal and strangle the Imperator with his bare hands. The man was ignorant. He would not listen to reason.

" Sevon - what are you talking about? I have told you what I can."

Desaria rose to his feet, jackboots resounding heavily on the catwalk before his command chair. " Flight Command - order all ground-based squadrons to sweep forward and begin bombarding this entire area with a thoron pulses. That will punch through whatever field they've erected. Assault Squadrons - assume attack formation and await my orders."

" Aye sir," replied Colonel Kamm.

" TacOps - Planetary weapons to the ready. Order Virmeude command to raise the planetary shields."

" Already done, sir."

" Good. Captain Voltaire - raise ours. All bow guns stand-to."

The aged officer nodded and set to work.

" Communications - broadcast channel again. Sevon - I still have no idea what you're speaking of. You are making idle threats against the Empire and I will not tolerate. Make your accusation or depart with haste. Your doubletalk is ineffective. What is it you think we have done?"

Khendon Sevon
Jan 1st, 2005, 05:39:57 PM
Khendon became furious. He could feel the dark shadow grow around him, hear its black whispers in his mind. Something was coming to the surface, and it was flowing with the full force of a volcanic eruption.

The former Vice-Diktat looked at the advanced screens and information banks around the red-bathed bridge. A technician’s voice reached through his dreamy, disconnected anger, “Imperator, the Guardians are ready. All boards are green.”

Impulses of electricity were interpreted and communicated through Khendon’s implant. The ship’s sensors spoke in their intricate language to him. So, they’re preparing for a battle… Telan has my family, and he’s trying to kill me. Let him come! The fool! This shall be his doom!

Khendon clenched his jaw and stared at the main monitor. He stood and craned his neck, narrowed his eyes, “Rahgus will make it?”

A young medical officer replied, “Yes, my Lord, he shall.”

“Good.” A few short moments dragged on. Several of the officers tentatively looked to their leader and wondered what his next move would be. The pieces were set, the board prepared, all Khendon had to do was move the right pawn or bishop and he would have his revenge and make his voice heard.

“Open Guardian ports one and two,” the former Vice-Diktat’s implant began communicating with the two warheads to be armed. A complex series of burst communications happened in-ship. With the launch order confirmed the warheads went hot. “Target the two primary cities. Activate each missiles’ hyperdrive core, I want them in h-space upon launch. Prepare a micro-jump to put us near the other side of the planet from the detonation sites.

“I want engines at full speed, stir the reactor and bring it to maximum output. Initiate the QuadIon shields. Today will be a day to remember.”

“Standing by, on your command, Imperator.”

“Fire,” Khendon nearly whispered the dark word. The Viscera shuddered violently as two great missiles left their housings and blinked out of existence. An instant later they appeared just at the edge of the planets atmosphere at virtually unimaginable speeds.

With a jerk and spasm the corvette-sized cruiser lurched into hyperspace. When they emerged there would be a brilliant scene to witness.

Telan Desaria
Jan 2nd, 2005, 01:15:59 AM
Everything happened fast. There rose from the eerie quiet a horrific cresendo of move and countermove. The tension finally broke but where it had stood destruction had taken its place.

" Two tracks - in bound for Virm Minor. Judging from the launch vector, they're headed for Althis and Sertis."

Voltaire shouted for the fighters to move in, but the Grand Admiral quickly counter-manded the order. A much larger weapon would be needed. " All turbolasers - - area pattern barrage - target the location of the missiles and where-ever they came from."

Gunnery officers heard the orders broadcast to their battery commanders, each one serving his gun with a furious dedication. Millions of lives depended on them - and they knew it. Turret after turret lining the port flank of the might Super Star Destroyer fired wildly. Empty shell casings slammed onto the decking or into cartidge bags, most kicked aside as new ones were sent into the breech.

" Affect?" The Grand Admiral demanded.

" Unknown sir. No explosions are registering - the missiles must have hyper-nav capabilities-"

There was no further use speaking when the tactical officer's voice trailed off into oblivion. Two bright starbursts blossomed on the grey surface of Virmeude's primary satellite. The communications officer reached up and tore his headset off, throwing it on the console for he could not bear to here the screams of planetary controllers and emergency response personnel. Reports quickly came in identifying terrific holes torn in the cities' atmospheric shields, each metropolis below engulfed in flames.

" Find me that ship."

The Grand Admiral ould not help but mentally swat at one idea that continued to assault his mind. He knew then he had the only implement that could save the Empire - but he could not bring himself to use it. It was dishonourable. He wanted to do it, he wanted to save the lives of his men even if it meant dishonouring himself, but he could not bring himself to say those words, those threatening and horrific words right out from some Draconian novel. He could not help but think if that was his child...

Desaria punched the communications console on his chair instead. " Sevon! You have acted against the Empire unprovoked. You have started a war today! You have plunged us into war without reason and cause. You have not answered the calls of logic, instead speaking in rhyme and riddle. You have forced my hand. And now your mental state is shown to all the galaxy. You have fabricated some notion and without explaining it have committed an act of genocide. The Empire will not stand for this. Prepare to be judged."

R. S. Esalis
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:09:09 PM
She had been listening quietly. She knew the exact reason why Sevon was acting as he was now, and it brought a predatory grin to her face. That people in two cities had just been reduced to ashes mattered little to her. In fact, they didn't matter at all. It was true that she had since given the project to Colonel Tear - left Sevon's wife in the officer's more than capable hands, but it was something she rather enjoyed keeping somewhat abreast on. The matter was important, after all; and it had just escalated.

Tear had sent her the initial reports of the progress made on Raghus. Esalis had smiled while reading every sentence - every word - every letter. The man had been stripped both physically and emotionally, and the Grand Inquisitor often read the reports Tear sent her over a glass of absynthe. She even chuckled at some of what she read. The Colonel also sent her documents detailing what he had planned for the woman. Esalis had gone over those with joy as well, even sending back small additions to what was being carried out on Sevon's wife.

But all the while, she did not forget what Desaria had told her after the fiasco with Federacy ships over Virmeude previously.

And now they were back.

She had made the Intimidator her temporary home while the Grand Admiral went about his rounds, and was thusly very readily available when this situation reared its' head.

But her mind was anything but elated as she listened to Desaria's words. He refused to acknowledge the massive leverage he held over Sevon! Standing in the farthest corners of the bridge, R. S. Esalis let her rage grow, simmering with each word Desaria spoke. He was a fool!!

Patience had long ago abandoned her as she stepped forward then, her boots hitting the deckplates as if to herald the coming of the Four Horsemen. In her eyes burned a terrible fury, and she reached out, her hand angrily swatting the Grand Admiral's from the comm console on his chair.

Her next words were directed at Desaria, though spoken in the barest of whispers so that only he could hear. "You are a weak man, Grand Admiral."

Her voice rose then, as a delicate finger depressed the switch that would once again send a transmission to wherever Sevon was hiding.

"Sevon! Sevon I know you can hear me. Have you forgotten me so quickly? Have you forgotten our brief interlude on Myrkr so quickly? I would have thought you smarter than this, Imperator. You have razed two cities belonging to the Sovereignty. I told you what would happen if you continued any sort of hostile actions against us.

"And now I will make good on my promises. Your wife will lose the fingers of her right hand.

"And if you continue in this manner, I will send you her corpse; but not before I take the child from her womb and have it raised to hate you."

Khendon Sevon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:58:47 PM
The Viscera gently emerged from hyperspace, her cloak pulled tight around her in anticipation of sensors that would, doubtlessly, fall like rain. Space was calm around the craft as it accelerated away from the exit point. The warship watched as its seeds blossomed into destruction planetside.

Khendon frowned, communications, communications! Desaria! You waste your breath! GIVE ME MY FAMILY! Your idea of judgment is reserved for the defeated, and I shall not be defeated! The Imperator stormed around the bridge, walking uneasily from console to console, officer to officer.

The former Vice-Diktat was just about to issue new targets when a new voice, a sweetly deceptive and very cold voice, broke the din of anticipation. Esalis’s dark tongue spoke poison. The already destructive, ravenous storm within Khendon grew to a crescendo and spilled over the levies and dams of reservation.

“HOW DARE YOU!” Shouted the deep, dark voice of the Imperator, “I am not a man to be trifled with, Esalis! You shall bow before me and beg for your life before this hour is done! And Desaria! You put your lot in with this, this whore of lies. I thought you better.

“Let everyone know that you are not a man of honor. Nay! You are a black python, a murderous creature with hands only for credits and notoriety! You are weak, and weak men fall! I shall be the abaddon, the dark angel watching your decent with joy and mirth!” The signal was projected from thousands of satellites, bits of delay overlapped and sources mingled until the original sender was virtually nonexistent.

The Federacy vessel’s bloodied teeth smiled anew as menaces were expelled into space. “Have them lock onto the exact origins of their signal,” commanded the Imperator, “triangulate for the bridge, multiple vectors. Recheck for alternate electrical signals, they might have a secondary or a dud bridge like some of our designs.

“Use a Q7 laser burst communication and signal for support. We may need it. War is truly coming.”

Eight torpedoes rushed towards the Sovereignty vessels. They all had one destination, though they would follow many routes. Khendon’s own sensors registered the weapons as nothing more than fist-sized. They were things of wrath. They were slayers.

“Jump!” Another micro-jump. More death.

Telan Desaria
Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:22:45 PM
" Eight more in-bound tracks! Bearings nine-seven-zero, mark four-one-five, mark.."

Desaria ignored the range markers, they would have no bearing on his action. He knew where the missiles were headed - we he Sevon, he would have done the same. " Shunt all available power to bridge shields."

The Grand Admiral watched with horror as the missiles made their way inbound, each one trailing a white mist of discharge gases. On their own initiate, the Defenders that had piket positions around the Intimidator moved quickly. They fired hundreds of chaff rounds into the path of the coming projectiles while other squadrons on patrol gave fruitful chase firing all the while. One then two of the deadly objects was incinerated by concerted laser fire.

Onward they came until they were within range of the flagship's point defense guns. Rapid-fire defensive banks let loose a murderous storm of shot and shell, officers on the bridge shielding their eyes from the incandesence before them so bright did the explosions burst.

The third then the fourth missiles were felled from their path while the fifth caught the side of a TIE Defender that was attempted to intercept and exploded marvelously. Three remained to sow their destruction.

" Sound Collision!" screamed Voltaire as he moved next to the wall of the crewpit, holding on for dear life. The three missiles hit and exploded. A tremendous roar filled the command deck as fire enveloped the bridge deflectors. However many a lesson had been learned since Endor - - the shields held. Inertial damnpers faded alarmingly despite, throwing men against bulkheads and officers into consoles. Desaria held to his chair and found that the Grand Inquisitor had joined him without her own volition. Mutually, it was agreed silentlyshe move and up she went when her footing was regained, a silent vow spoken never to recant the encounter.

" Damage report!" the Admiral demanded.

" Bridge deflectors down to twenty percent. Emergency repair teams have been dispatched to repair the overload. A few nicks on the armor but no hull breaches."

The Grand Admiral turned to Esalis and stood. Speaking low so that only she could hear he whispered. " If you are going to do something, do it now."

R. S. Esalis
Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:08:18 PM
The fall into Desaria's lap had been calculated - the point of impact which would produce the least amount of hurt. She had taken a particular sense of satisfaction at the look on his face as she once more got to her feet,. She watched the Grand Admiral stand, and at his words she ticked a brow before stepping past him. In answer to his hushed order, the Grand Inquisitor placed herself in the recently vacated command chair, once again opening the comm channels.

"Sevon, if you are trying to call my bluff I will tell you now that I do not make idle threats."

With her other hand, Esalis had typed a hurried message, sending it off through relay station after relay station - the communication web she had built for the Inquisitoriate was elaborate, yet excercised some of the more simple tricks in order to accomplish her goals. Hundred of planets already under the Sovereignty banner were now recieving her order - Remove fingers on right hand - even the Federacy ships would pick the message up. She did not encrypt it; she wanted Sevon to read the orders that would herald the removal of his wife's limbs.

Almost immediately a conformation was returned, from every planet that had recieved the command. And a minute later an accompanying audio file was relayed in the same fashion. Sevon would have to sift through hundreds of worlds to locate the stronghold that held his wife. Of course, that was assuming he lived that long.

Esalis knew that Sevon would also recieve the audio that had been sent back - a torturous, twenty second clip of a choked sob followed by cries of pain.

She waited another minute before speaking again.

"If you continue in this fashion, she will lose her arm next. Think carefully, Sevon."

Khendon Sevon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:10:42 PM
A single, invisible bay opened and its contents “fell” through the blackness of space. Papperson’s stormguard suit appeared as dark as its surrounding. Twenty-one elite troopers fell the few feet to the upper armor of the bridge-tower of the Sovereignty command vessel.

Like a swarm of raging insects they began to cut away at the surface material. High-energy discharges rang quickly and precisely, burning a perfectly sized hole in the thick skin. Space’s cold tendrils wretched the contents of the penetrated room through the hole, forcing much larger objects, and bodies, into the void.

The troopers, with the aid of their specially designed gear, entered the gaping wound. Papperson could feel his hot breath settle on his face as he shouted orders. Bursting in, the elite soldiers scanned the area. The warriors, like a flood of wasps, filed in and quickly burst open the next door.

The Viscera moved away from the bridge of the Sovereignty vessel. Blue jolts of energy were suddenly unleashed upon various nearby targets. The enmity cannons of the mighty craft cried out in anger.

In an instant, the sleek warship had again fled to hyperspace.

Telan Desaria
Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:39:29 PM
As soon as the hull breech klaxon sounded every man on the bridge knew what had happened - though none was sure how. Alarms sounded and reports came in - a hole was being cut in the hull.

Platoons of stormtroopers converged on the location, secured by their magnetic boots to the decking as atmosphere was ripped from the flagship's innards into space. Behind them the bulkheads were sealed and forecfields put in place.

Larger the hole opened and in came one of them - the enemy. He was greeted by a hail of gunfire - blasters, light lasers, and repeaters. Orange bolts singed the air with electricity and light, scoring the armor on this intruder. Down he went in a heap.

The next man following attempted to gain access but was cut down likewise. The soldier, unlike his predecessor, raised his arm and fired, felling a dozen stormtroopers before he was killed himself. The next came in and the next after him, each one rattled with blaster fire. Nearly eighty Imperial troops were in the hall, firing from protected positions at their foe, aided by automated laser gates all around.

Reinforcements were rushed in, Fleet Assault Corps and regular Army soldiers lining the surrounding areas on the off chance any got through the advance guard. Grenades were held at the ready while more platoons fanned up and below the intruders - - while more secured the bridge.

R. S. Esalis
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:40:55 PM
Still in the Grand Admiral's chair, Esalis let her eyes grow dark as she heard the warnings of hull breach. Sevon was obviously not heeding her warnings. She made a mental note to be sure and have the Inquisitoriate's doctors remove the child from the woman's womb before killing her completely.

She frowned then, as readouts began pouring in - reports of concentrated firefighting filtering in as the boarders slowly pressed their attack. Desaria was still standing but the Grand Inquisitor ignored him for the moment. Through the same channels she'd utilized earlier, Esalis sent another short message - Remove right arm below elbow.

The same confirmation from multiple sources was recieved, and another minute later more audio; this time even worse than the first was returned. Her fingers moved of their own accord, and EEsalis opened the shipwide comm system, playing the audio on every level, every deck of the Star Destroyer for the Federacy men to hear. She knew their audio equipment would relay it to the transcievers most likely embedded in their helmets. In fact, she was banking on that fact.

The sounds of fighting could be heard now, as the Federacy troops had barrelled their way closer to the bridge. Desaria's men were fighting back admirably, but the voracity of Sevon's men was something that could not be contained.

And then the audio transmission came over the speakers drowning out the sounds of battle and washing the entirety of the Intimidator in anguished screams, cries of torment that fell on the deaf ears of an unheard assailent, and the sickening sound of a bonesaw working its' way through flesh and bone.

And with a cold, calculating, and evil stare, R. S. Esalis stood from the command chair to face to blast doors that had sealed the bridge. She stood beside Desaria, refusing to hide behind any man. Her hand reached out then, expertly unclipping and pulling free the blaster the Grand Admiral kept at his side.

She levelled it at the blast doors and waited.

Khendon Sevon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:57:30 PM
One of the Federacy soldiers stepped forward from the shapes of combat. His red optical sensor pulsated intensely for a moment as he stared at the surrounding melee intently. A bloodied blade fell from his hand and clattered to the hardened floor.

A crimson scene ensued as enhanced, armored men used sword and blaster alike to cut through the defending forces. The lone soldier looked around as the audio clip played. His posture was that of a predator. Underneath the black, articulated suit muscles tensed.

The single, scarlet eye on the stormguardsman’s helm blinked out. In a fluid motion the officer ripped the armor from his face, Khendon stared at the blood bath with his own, naked eyes. The Imperator threw aside his rifle, stripped his armor, and withdrew a cylinder from a compartment on the remnants of his suit.

A hum reverberated dimly over the throng of melding bodies. An eerie, silver glow washed across the battlefield. “KYRY!” Shouted the dark soldier as he rushed head long into the tide of conflict.

The dark jedi clutched his weapon in two hands and used flowing, smooth, sweeping attacks to continually slice through those barring his progress. Objects hit the metallic surface with a stomach-churning thud. Soldiers screamed as their wounds were instantly cauterized.

Slash after slash found its mark, soldiers were flung to the wall, bones cracked with the force of impact. Valiant warriors fell to their knees as their life breath was denied them. Khendon picked up his pace, a red field left in his wake.

“KYRYANU!”

The Imperator reached the blast door that protected the bridge and shoved the thick energy blade into it. The metal began to burn as the silver blade’s acrid energy ate at the atoms. Khendon activated his second saber with a hiss and submerged it in the melting durasteel, swirling the virtually weightless weapons to speed the process.

R. S. Esalis
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:13:55 PM
She watched, waiting patiently as the blade of what could only have been a lightsabre pierced through the blast doors. Cold eyes resolute, Esalis stood her ground, refusing to move. She kept the blaster trained on the door, ready to fire the moment it was opened.

In fact...

"Open the blast doors."

One of the officer's balked. He stared at her as if she was a raving lunatic, not moving a muscle.

"I said open the blast doors!!"

He still did not move, and so she swung the blaster around to point at him. This more immediate threat howver was seen as much more terminal much more quickly, and the officer obeyed.

Bringing the blaster back to the blast doors, Esalis waited for the hiss that would precede the doors opening. And then they sounded. Slowly, like a beast opening its' jaws, the blast doors yawned open to reveal a lone figure before a wake of blood and visceral carnage.

She recongized the man. It was Sevon. And she could see something besides the blind rage clouding his vision. She could see madness. The madness brought on by seperation. That was when Esalis fired three quick shots at the Imperator...

Khendon Sevon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:23:22 PM
Khendon’s eyes were infernos. Emotion pulsed through his veins, sidestepping the blood that attempted to travel through the arteries. The dark jedi’s sight was filled with tears of rage and passion, but he was no longer relying on his eyes. Pure, uncensored, raw chaos was his master.

The warrior could feel Esalis’s presence, he could taste her scent in the wash of the force. Khendon batted away the first blast with his right-handed saber, sending the bolt into a nearby officer. The second found itself impeded by a circular motion from the dark jedi’s left-handed blade.

Energy rippled through the bridge’s air. Khendon could smell ozone as the particles were incinerated. The third blast collided squarely with the Imperator’s chest, breaking through his stripped-down armor and scoring the flesh.

Fresh pain made its way through the dark warrior’s body, like a fine wine he allowed it to age, even if only for a moment. Khendon staggered forward, his body no longer trained in accepting such rigors. The former Vice-Diktat deactivated one of his sabers and clipped it to his utility belt.

He could see the bridge clearly now, though his eyes were filled with salty tears, expressions of his longing for his love. Khendon flung one hand up, eyes and mind focused on the traitorous Desaria, the man followed the motion of the hand and was thrown into the air.

Khendon tightened his two-handed grip on the mighty lightsaber and drew it close, in an aggressive stance. As he did this he increased his steps until he was jogging towards his goal, Esalis. The Imperator screamed his war cry anew, “KYRYANU!”

R. S. Esalis
Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:55:08 PM
Blazing eyes met blazing eyes, and Esalis began her own advance on Sevon. The blaster was raised, and spewed forth bolts of energy that punctured the rapidly diminishing space between the two.

All thoughts on those who populated the bridge were discarded; Desaria included. For her, only Sevon remained. She could see the murder in his eyes, and took joy in it. And at the second feral cry of his wife's name, she only mouthed a single word.

Mine.

Her blood red uniform seemed to work with her body as her own pace sped from a jog to a full out run, and she was soon throwing herself forward. Certainly a sight to see - the normally calm and collected Grand Inquisitor rushing to a certain death.

Her mouth set in an even line, her finger continued to pull back the trigger as the two foes closed on each other...

Khendon Sevon
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:06:26 PM
Underneath Khendon’s armor his muscles pulsated with energy. He could feel the force wrap itself around him like battlegear, could hear its dark whispers in his mind. The Imperator set aside the demons at his coattails and concentrated on his love, using it as a fire for his revenge.

The wicked woman was running at him, if she wished to die, he would oblige her whims. Blaster discharges swarmed towards him, like a horizontal rain of death. Khendon swept aside the first few energy pulses with smooth motions from his blade.

A blast collided with his shoulder; he could smell his own flesh smoldering. His side sagged as the pain sent contortions to his face. Another bolt struck with the force of a sledgehammer to his ribs.

The Imperator fought to stay in his combat form, fought to stay at his pace. The distance between the two engaged figures was nearly gone. Khendon could reach out and touch Esalis.

The warrior side-stepped out of the way of the charging woman in a nimble move and brought his blade in a quick, snap circle. The fore of her blaster smoothly separated from the rest of the weapon and flew across the room.

With the momentum of the circular attack Khendon brought the pummel of his weapon to the back of the Esalis’s head. He could feel the force flow through his motions.

“You won’t die this easily, Esalis. I’m not that forgiving, or that generous.”

R. S. Esalis
Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:18:42 PM
The force of his strike and her momentum sent Esalis into the air, her body twisting multiple times before coming back in contact with the deck. She landed on her back, rolling across the decking for what seemed like ages. The woman fought doggedly to retain her hold on consciousness, but it was a loosing battle. She remembered Sevon's words, and a sneer of her own came to her lips as she saw him standing over her.

And then her world drifted into blackness.

Khendon Sevon
Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:09:32 PM
Khendon drew in a long, victorious breath. His eyes scanned the faces of the Sovereignty bridge crew. The dark warrior spoke with a deep roar to his voice, “This is the fate of those that betray the Federacy. This is the legacy that can be expected by any who challenge the Imperator.”

Silver washed over the scene, cast from the glow of Khendon’s weapon. The dark jedi brought the blade up threateningly and deactivated the shimmering saber with a loud hiss. The former Vice-Diktat holstered the ancient device and picked up the fallen woman, throwing her over his shoulder as he would a bag of no-consequence.

Papperson’s pale face and war-torn blue eyes met Khendon’s gaze as he strode from the bridge. The Imperator could feel the weight of his burden chip away at his fortitude. He swayed for a moment, but only for a moment. The warrior called on the force to steady his frame.

“Let’s get the hell out of here,” mumbled Khendon, teeth clenched in pain.

”I’ll pack up the boys, should we procure the Admiral’s shuttle?” The officer smiled broadly.

“No, he’ll need it for when he retreats with tail between legs,” the leader smiled, “I’m sure the Sovereignty wouldn’t be too inconvenienced if we took a few escape pods.”

“How many is a few?”

Khendon’s grin grew, “all of them.”

Blaster fire rang out as the last Federacy stormguardsman jumped through one of the portals. Khendon looked at the hallway, full of dead and dying men. “A shame. Let’s get out of here. Have you signaled?”

Papperson nodded his armored head. Not many of the twenty-one brave men had survived. The fighting had been vicious, tooth-and-nail. Khendon would make sure their distinction did not go unappreciated. After all, each had volunteered to go with the Imperator.

A shudder ran through the small, circular escape pod as clamps released the small vessel and rockets burnt. The single sphere joined a literal rain of the emergency devices—so much for Imperial security codes, jettisoning the entire store had proved easier than expected. Before the soldiers even had time to remove their helmets they found themselves nestled in one of the bays of the Viscera.

The nimble, sly cruiser jumped to hyperspace.

Telan Desaria
Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:09:15 PM
" Admiral, they are taking our escape pods. We can target and destroy them, sir. Shall we fire?"

Grand Admiral Desaria looked at Captain Voltaire as he bent down to return his removed pistol to its holster. " No Captain, we will let them run. They have, after all, done us a favor. The Grand Inquisitor is out of our hair for a brief while. However, I have no doubt the rest of the Inquisitoriate is right now plotting to recover their lost matriarch."

Desaria moved to his command chair, now vacant. " Account for the wounded and send a report to High Command. Inform Chancellor Anar the Fleet will be departing shortly to repay the gift of Virm Minor upon the Federacy."

Voltaire nodded, somber.

" Look not so pale, my friend. War has begun."