PDA

View Full Version : Doom

Phantom
Dec 28th, 2004, 02:37:08 AM
I was reading up on Karl Urban the other day on IMDB when I came upon this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419706), one of his up coming movies. Now I'm a fan of both the Doom video games and Karl Urban, but this movie will be horrendous. The director, if that is what you can call him is none other then Andrzej Bartkowiak, who has brought us such atrocities as Cradle 2 the Grave, Exit Wounds and Romeo Must Die.

*Smacks Forehead*

Why do they continue to allow him to make movies?

Zasz Grimm
Dec 28th, 2004, 11:22:40 AM
Because Romeo Must Die was a good movie?

I'm mixed on this. I don't know if I want to see it, or not. I'll probably wind up going to the theater for it.

Shawn
Dec 28th, 2004, 12:06:04 PM
The Doom Movie - No Mars, No Hell, No Space Marines (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20044)
References to Hell edited out of Doom movie

No monsters.. a weird scenario

By Wil Harris: Saturday 04 December 2004, 11:39
Tyan Tomcat i7221 Server board

A REPORT from the set of the Doom movie has unveiled some fantastic re-writes and re-characterisations.

The movie project, based on the ubiquitous video game, is currently being filmed in Prague. Eastern Europe has become a hot-bed of low budget horror movie making in recent years, due to the activities of the SciFi channel, who have their Saturday night monster-flicks filmed there.

The report says that screenwriter, Dave Callaham, was keen to keep the atmosphere of the game intact whilst making some 'necessary' story changes. The changes? Well, Doom won't be set on Mars. The monsters have nothing to do with Hell. Space marines are SWAT teams. The monsters will, apparently, be people mututated by a secret virus.

Gosh, how original. Have they seen Resident Evil?

The report is the latest in a series that don't exactly lend the movie credit. The director recently hired to take over the project, Andrzej Bartkowiak, has such high-quality films as Species and Dante's Peak in his back-catalogue.

The lack of any kind of 'Hell' connection is something of a kicker. Doom 2 was subtitled 'Hell on Earth', and the key plot point of Doom 3 is that the monsters in-game are Hellspawn, hence the multiple pentograms and such vile creations as dead-baby-cherub-wasp combinations. A 'necessary' change, or a neat way to avoid right-wing criticism? We wonder.

The Doom movie is due out some time in 2005.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 28th, 2004, 12:20:26 PM
One to miss then, eh.

JMK
Dec 28th, 2004, 12:48:52 PM
Why even bother calling this movie Doom? It has nothing to do with the video game whatsoever from the sounds of it....

Peter McCoy
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:56:23 PM
I like Resident Evil the movie - provided I don't refer to it as Resident Evil and rather something along the lines of 'Aaaagh! Zombies!!!'

This will be a real let-down unless some major changes are made.

Aegis Du' Caat
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:01:17 PM
To avoid right-wing criticism, We welcome mentions of Hell and how all of you are going to it!

lol