PDA

View Full Version : City of Heroes

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 27th, 2004, 02:38:41 PM
I got this for Christmas/birthday from my brother :D I can't wait to play it... but I'll have to wait until I get a new computer. My graphics card is not up to the task, unfortunately.

In the meantime - anyone else playing/played this?

Morgan Evanar
Dec 27th, 2004, 04:50:31 PM
Nope :) If you want to know what to buy with x dollars, I'll be happy to help.

Yog
Dec 27th, 2004, 05:14:09 PM
I know ReaperFett used to play this. Not sure if he is still subscribing. He should know a few things about that game :)

James Prent
Dec 27th, 2004, 05:44:37 PM
My brother plays it as well.. on the Virtue server, so that's where I'll be playing it when I get a computer that can handle it. I guess my three year old E-Machine just won't cut it anymore ;). What a surprise!

Morg - my brother-in-law will probably be building us one for about $1300, all top of the line. But if we can't get it soon... I might crack and just buy a graphics card. Any suggestions on a good one for under $100 or under $150?

Figrin D'an
Dec 27th, 2004, 06:22:37 PM
The Radeon 9600 Pro/XT are in that price range, and would transfer to your new potential new system nicely.

*goes back to battling his own video card issues. (sigh)*

Morgan Evanar
Dec 27th, 2004, 07:43:49 PM
Originally posted by James Prent
My brother plays it as well.. on the Virtue server, so that's where I'll be playing it when I get a computer that can handle it. I guess my three year old E-Machine just won't cut it anymore ;). What a surprise!

Morg - my brother-in-law will probably be building us one for about $1300, all top of the line. But if we can't get it soon... I might crack and just buy a graphics card. Any suggestions on a good one for under $100 or under $150? Honestly, it sounds like you're getting ripped off. :| Fig's suggestion of a 9600 Pro or 9600 XT is solid, provided your machine actually has a AGP slot.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 27th, 2004, 10:03:09 PM
Well, how much could we build a new, top of the line comp. for then?

Figrin D'an
Dec 27th, 2004, 10:14:27 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Well, how much could we build a new, top of the line comp. for then?

The thing is... you don't need a top-of-the-line system. Almost nobody does, unless you're going to be running Maya and rendering movie special effects 24 hours a day. A true, top-end, "God-Box" will run you about $4000, easy. A system that will do what you want it to, and give you good performance for 3-4 years, can be put together for under $1000.

And, yeah, check to make sure your current system has an AGP slot before you buy a new graphics card for it.

Zasz Grimm
Dec 27th, 2004, 10:24:08 PM
honestly, if you were looking to get a new PC, allow fig/morg to spec it.

I was gonna do that with morg, but I never had enough money, that and I wound up going a different route.

Arya Ravenwing
Dec 27th, 2004, 10:27:17 PM
ok 'top of the line' is an over statement, I agree. But a good one that won't be obsolete in two months would be nice.

Sarr Koon
Dec 28th, 2004, 01:41:59 PM
I played this game after its release for a little over a month. It was really fun during that time. But then it became so repetitive that I started to just not play it and eventually just let my subscription run out. I know MMORPG's are repetitive by nature but this one is just above and beyond them all I think.

AmazonBabe
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:22:00 AM
I put mine together with parts from Newegg with the help of Morg and Joe. All in all, it cost me about 18-1900. Of course, I like the expensive stuff ^_^;

But definitely get Morg to spec it. He knows his stuff. :)

Naj Arilov
Feb 12th, 2005, 01:24:06 PM
If you dont take Morg and Fig up on their advice, then you deserve to be kicked. Repeatedly.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2005, 02:45:22 PM
Just to bump this up, I play Goewyn on the Virtue server.

I am a Celtic Warrior Princess. >D

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2005, 02:49:49 PM
Xena-rific

Serena Laran
Jul 21st, 2005, 03:20:29 PM
:mneh you're just jealous.