PDA

View Full Version : Reggie White is dead...

Sarr Koon
Dec 26th, 2004, 11:42:50 AM
The all time sack leader passed away suddenly this morning says NFL.com That is really sad...

JMK
Dec 26th, 2004, 03:17:19 PM
I don't get why so many former pros dies so young. With the big gray cloud of steroids looming over sports, the first thing in to my mind is that a lot of these guys used roids in their day, it just went largely unnoticed. Of course I'm probably wrong, but if Barry Bonds suddenly drops dead in a few years I'm going to start to believe it.

Figrin D'an
Dec 26th, 2004, 03:30:10 PM
Originally posted by JMK
I don't get why so many former pros dies so young. With the big gray cloud of steroids looming over sports, the first thing in to my mind is that a lot of these guys used roids in their day, it just went largely unnoticed. Of course I'm probably wrong, but if Barry Bonds suddenly drops dead in a few years I'm going to start to believe it.

Athletes dying young, particularly football players, isn't a phenomenon inherent to the "steroids era" of sports. If you look back to players in the 40's, 50's and 60's, there were a fair number that died before their 50th birthdays. Getting hit and thrown around the football field for 15+ years takes it toll, not to mention that once many are out of the game, they tend to not take care of their bodies as well as they should.

Ryan Pode
Dec 26th, 2004, 05:30:14 PM
It was shocking. Like, just the other day I was watching an ESPN show with him on it. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 26th, 2004, 05:38:49 PM
Plus Reggie White was not the type to do steroids. He was a great man and a great football player. It is like Fig said getting hit in football takes it toll on players, especially for a DL like White. The guys in the trenches usually have short lifespans.

Jedieb
Dec 26th, 2004, 07:36:09 PM
The first report I heard said he died of a massive heart attack, then I heard it was a respiratory problem. Either way, it looks as if it was rather sudden and a shock to his family and friends. He was a very spiratual man, and a respected and beloved teammate. That hump move of his was friggin' phenomenal. Most people thought he was just as impressive off the field as he was on, it's a shame to see him go.

jjwr
Dec 27th, 2004, 06:12:22 AM
He died in his sleep, and he had sleep apnea so it could easily have been respiratory, quite possibly he just stopped breathing and never started again.

Charley
Dec 27th, 2004, 07:07:04 AM
:cry One of my favorite players of all time.

Aegis Du' Caat
Dec 27th, 2004, 03:21:17 PM
The added fact of his sheer size prolly wasn't that healthy on his cardio and respitory systems either.

I was sad to hear of his death too, he was my inspiration when I played football, I play DEnd as well and he was the guy I most tried to emulate on and off the field. Prolly one of the few sports figures outside of David Robinson and A.C. Green that I truly looked up to as not just athletes but people as well.