PDA

View Full Version : The Aviator

CMJ
Dec 25th, 2004, 05:13:01 PM
I don't have a great deal of time, because I'm visiting my folks and we're busy as all get out. Nonetheless, I saw Scorcese's new movie this afternoon, and I just had to put up some quick thoughts.

Terrific picture guys. DiCaprio hits one out of the park with his performance. Heck, everyone involved should be proud of this sucker(Blanchett, Reilly, Alda, etc). It's BIG in every sense of the word. Technically the film is flawless, expect numerous nods from those Acdemy branches. It's my favorite of Scorcese's films - so obviously, run to the theater.

I believe this is our Oscar winner.

Yog
Dec 25th, 2004, 05:20:52 PM
I look forward to see this :)

Sarr Koon
Dec 25th, 2004, 07:34:16 PM
:zzz

Callomas Savoc
Dec 25th, 2004, 07:53:37 PM
This is my must-see movie of the winter season. I can't wait to see it.

Zasz Grimm
Dec 25th, 2004, 09:04:03 PM
Originally posted by Sarr Koon
:zzz

gogo gadget AvP

On another note, I want to see this. DiCaprio looks like he's doing good in it. I liked him in The Man In The Iron Mask. Alot. I dunno if I'll get a chance to hit the movies, but I'll try.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 25th, 2004, 10:30:31 PM
My appreciation for DiCaprio jumped quite a bit after watching Catch Me If You Can, so I'll definately be seeing this movie when I get the chance.

Sanis Prent
Dec 25th, 2004, 10:33:19 PM
He made me a fan after The Quick and the Dead. His character stole the show in my opinion. Catch Me If You Can was more of the same, and with the exception of The Beach and Titanic, he's really done no wrong.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 25th, 2004, 11:08:45 PM
I forgot about The Quick and the Dead. That's probably one of the only westerns I really truly like. And yes, DiCaprio was great in it.

Telan Desaria
Dec 26th, 2004, 11:42:31 AM
Titannic soured me a bit but Catch me if you can was excellent - - as was Man in the Iron Mask - - - - what a wonderful era to live in, no?

I will see this later today actually. I will return with a critique.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:37:29 AM
I saw this over the weekend, I thought it was a very good movie and was great technically. The acting was quite good and I saw why Blanchett won best supporting actress. My only problem with it was the story, I am not the biggest Howard Hughes fan in the world, although I thought they beat a dead horse with the crazy stuff. I read a biography on him and he didn't go that nuts until probably the 1950's of course maybe they did that for plot reasons, I don't know. Of course that is my only beef with the film. I still can't compare with Million Dollar Baby yet so I will have a better idea which movie should have won then ;)

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:08:42 PM
Dude, he DID have a major breakdown after the plane crash. That much I remember from history.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:17:53 PM
Maybe I was wrong, I just read somewhere that he didn't get really nuts until afterwards. I haven't read enough biographies on him to be sure on that though so as I said I could easily be wrong. One thing I have to say though he was a very good director heh the whole thing with Hell's Angels I found funny he was too much of a perfectionist the cloud part was great.

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2005, 12:43:18 PM
Well, he didn't actually completely lose it till...I don't know the 60's. But he was deteriorating for years. The test flight crash is actually what is presumed to have started his slide. The pain medication he had to take dulled his control over his OCD.

It took about 15-20 years for it to finally take over. Even near the end he would have patches where he was "normal" - they just got less and less frequent. And for shorter and shorter time periods.

He's one of the most fascinating people in the nation's history IMHO. And one of the most tragic.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:05:03 PM
Well that would make sense I am sure that crash did something to him, it sure was pretty horrible.

JMK
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:44:23 PM
I think Scorcese was just trying the fit the entire scope of Hughes' enormous life into one movie (if that's even possible). I thought it was a little heavy on the crazies as well but we got the compressed version. Still, Aviator was probably my favorite movie of 2004.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:53:38 PM
Yeah I think you are right it is hard with biopics to fit everything in. Still, I liked it, I don't about favorite, I am bad on stuff like that I have trouble numbering my movies heh I just say one of my favorites, and I have about 6-7 from last year.