PDA

View Full Version : Sin City

Gav Mortis
Dec 21st, 2004, 07:38:48 PM
I admit, until about five minutes ago I didn't know anything about Sin City other than it was a film due to be out sometime in the future. After checking out the link to the trailer from AICN, I have to say, this could be one of the most awesome films of next year. It has a hell of a cast, it really does and it oozes with a comic style that any fan of Max Payne will appreciate. Please, check out the trailer linked below:

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2004/sincity_019736/sincity_trlr_01_dl.mov

Now, you should be blown away by coolness. :cool

Jedieb
Dec 21st, 2004, 08:08:43 PM
I share your level of ignorance in regards to Sin City. The trailer looks promising. Should be a good comic book movie. Nice to see Bruce Willis kicking butt again. I believe that's Rutger Hauher under the make up. There's a classic 80's tough guy I'd love to see in action again.

Sarr Koon
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:07:56 PM
Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I'm seeing that.

JediBoricua
Dec 22nd, 2004, 01:12:11 AM
I'm sold.

Mitch
Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:45:24 AM
Dude, I have to see this, even if purely for the artisic style!

I've NEVER seen a film so absolutely NAIL the visual style of a comic book so dead-on. Frank Miller is a genius when it comes to lighting and dramatic contrast, and WOW-EE was that trailer good-looking!

I have got to see this flick.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:15:18 PM
NICE!

i like it so far. :) When's it coming out?

Figrin D'an
Dec 22nd, 2004, 01:04:47 PM
That trailer just oozes of comic book noir. Looks like a great cast, too. I'll definitely be seeing this one.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:55:27 PM
Frank Miller is one of my gods. I have the 'Art of Sin City', and I highly recommend any fan of his - and even those who don't know too much about him - to pick it up.

Dalamar DeSang
Dec 23rd, 2004, 11:58:22 AM
Hey did you see the Deathblow series. Where Jim Lee seemed to try to imitate his style. Also your right Frank Miller rocks. I wish he would write a Ronin 2. That was way cool.

Peter McCoy
Dec 23rd, 2004, 03:30:23 PM
I think that trailer earns the title of NOSH!

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 24th, 2004, 08:23:49 AM
Words can't express the joy I'm feeling after watching that trailer :eek!!!!

Gav Mortis
Dec 24th, 2004, 09:15:43 AM
It's now available in a much bigger, much sexier looking version at: http://www.apple.com/trailers/

ReaperFett
Dec 24th, 2004, 11:16:41 AM
Clive Owen should be a great Dwight.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 24th, 2004, 02:48:13 PM
Bruce Willis is basically playing Max Payne, isn't he? :D

Callomas Savoc
Dec 25th, 2004, 12:23:22 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Bruce Willis is basically playing Max Payne, isn't he? :D

Yes and this is awesome.

Sanis Prent
Dec 26th, 2004, 09:31:50 AM
This movie is made for people like me :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shawn
Dec 27th, 2004, 06:11:47 AM
Non-Crappy trailer here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city.html

Looks incredible.

Loki Ahmrah
Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:53:12 PM
It's old news to me and probably to most interested but I thought, since it hadn't been done so already, I'd post the link to the second trailer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/480_hartigan_2.html

Enjoy. :)

Edit: And by the way, so far it's had glowing reviews, and from what I've read, it looks like it's going to be heralded as the next Pulp Fiction for out and out coolness.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:21:55 PM
I saw the second trailer attatched to the Bruce Willis movie "Hostage." The trailer is WAY awesome. This movie is going to rock the house.

Shawn
Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:45:35 PM
I am more excited to see this than any other film ever. If this doesn't win every Picture of the Year award available, then we're in for a seriously great year.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:52:34 PM
The effects are awesome. I read in Maxim (lol) how they did some of the shots and it's incredible the lengths they went to in order to preserve the look of the graphic novels in the movie.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:40:24 AM
:eek words can't express how excited I am

Anuis Ma'artra
Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:21:15 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I read in Maxim (lol)

Le Pant

I'm looking forward to this movie as well. I've always meant to pick up a copy of this, but never broken down and done so, perhaps I will.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:37:59 AM
I'm gonna be stoned for this, but here goes - I'm more excited to see this than ROTS

^_^;

Anbira Hicchoru
Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:49:37 AM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
I'm gonna be stoned for this, but here goes - I'm more excited to see this than ROTS

^_^;

I'm not, but it's ROTS in the lead by a rather small margin. Still, Star Wars movies are more than just movies. They are events. That being said, I expect Sin City to be my second favorite of the year, easily.

It's a good date movie at least ;)

Gav Mortis
Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:04:05 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
:eek words can't express how excited I am

For now, it seems like they'll have to for us. I'm sure you'll be as thrilled as I was to discover that Sin City wont be released in the UK until June. I'm aching to see thie film so bad too and have to wait two months after it's US release. :(

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:18:20 AM
Originally posted by Gav Mortis
For now, it seems like they'll have to for us. I'm sure you'll be as thrilled as I was to discover that Sin City wont be released in the UK until June. I'm aching to see thie film so bad too and have to wait two months after it's US release. :(

Yeah, I just read that this morning too :cry we get such a rough deal

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:13:30 PM
Originally posted by Ka' el Darcverse
Le Pant

I'm looking forward to this movie as well. I've always meant to pick up a copy of this, but never broken down and done so, perhaps I will.

It was a very small article. Of course, the same issue had an article about one of the gals from Battlestar Galactica (Boomer).

Mu Satach
Mar 24th, 2005, 09:34:17 PM
dying... absolutely DYING to see this... gah!

Shawn
Mar 26th, 2005, 11:08:29 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sin_city/

100% Fresh

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 27th, 2005, 12:50:56 PM
It's 90% now - one rotten review.

Shawn
Mar 27th, 2005, 01:43:53 PM
Sin City, perhaps best described as film noir on steroids, is a movie that’s so cool you’re not supposed to be concerned about its total lack of moral grounding. Nor its profound sexism. Nor its misanthropic nihilism.:lol I have to wonder what the reviewer was expecting when he went to see a film called "Sin City".

Anbira Hicchoru
Mar 27th, 2005, 02:07:54 PM
OH MY GOD IT HAS VIOLENCE AND SEX

I thought this was Bridget Jones Diary :cry

Yog
Mar 27th, 2005, 02:46:08 PM
Well, before this topic I was absolutely clueless about Sin City, and would probably not lifted an eyebrow about watching it. Now Im starting to get curious..

Liam Jinn
Mar 28th, 2005, 02:18:45 AM
*shakes fist at Yog* :p

I can't wait for this movie. But since I have no option but to, I'll wait til Friday...:\

ReaperFett
Mar 28th, 2005, 08:21:11 AM
The total lack of moral grounding is what made the comics so good! :)

Wei Wu Wei
Mar 29th, 2005, 08:11:07 AM
It's the odd color scheme what does it for me. It's the biggest head trip I have ever seen.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 29th, 2005, 01:18:45 PM
I love the look of the film, can't wait to see the whole thing. I just hope they don't sell out and do a bunch of crappy sequels.

Shawn
Mar 29th, 2005, 05:27:44 PM
That would be rather difficult, as there aren't that many Sin City stories. ;) Rodriguez has already expressed interest in doing a sequel for the stories he couldn't fit into this movie, however.

Gav Mortis
Mar 29th, 2005, 05:53:26 PM
By this time in two days, I want a few reviews from you lucky Yanks. :grumble

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 29th, 2005, 08:12:42 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
That would be rather difficult, as there aren't that many Sin City stories. ;) Rodriguez has already expressed interest in doing a sequel for the stories he couldn't fit into this movie, however.
Well, they could always write their own. Which would be a sell out for a crappy sequel, no? :mneh

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 30th, 2005, 01:59:12 PM
No way, man. Frank Miller better be the writer of any sequel to Sin City or no deal :(

Jedieb
Mar 30th, 2005, 10:47:05 PM
I'm probably going to head out and catch it solo Friday night. Perfect way to kill some time before Midnight Madness. Sweeeeeeeet.

Shawn
Mar 31st, 2005, 02:18:16 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Well, they could always write their own. Which would be a sell out for a crappy sequel, no? :mneh Considering Rodriguez quit the Director's Guild so he could give Frank Miller co-directing credits, I don't think this is going to happen.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 31st, 2005, 01:19:07 PM
just playing devil's advocate. :mneh I don't think so either. But it has happened before!

Mu Satach
Mar 31st, 2005, 05:26:07 PM
If that happens I'll remove Rodriguez from my wall of
"That guy, is cool." and forthwith never speak of his name again!

JediBoricua
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:43:36 PM
Just saw the movie.

WOW.

That's my review.

And please will someone make Frank Miller mayor of any city, any city at all. I want to live there.

Jedieb
Apr 1st, 2005, 10:19:21 PM
I saw it earlier tonight. Flawed, but still very entertaining. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd read some of the comic. Great performances all around and the casting was SUPERB. I swear, I'll never look at Frodo the same way again!

Shawn
Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:44:30 AM
:D

I thought the color was a tad overused, but it was really brilliant in places, most notably at the end of The Hard Goodbye. Surprisingly, I think The Big Fat Kill was my favorite segment of the movie. Definitely going to have to see it a second time to really take everything in.

One thing I noticed was that the women in the theater didn't seem very enthusiastic about the movie. The chick sitting next to me made her boyfriend leave with her about an hour in, and the girl in front of me was laying down and not watching it at all.

I think there was a collective geekgasm before the movie, too, since they showed trailers for both Revenge of the Sith and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:13:05 AM
I just closed my eyes for a bit during the Yellow Bastard bit. >_<

I thought it was a good movie, although I probably should have read a bit more of the reviews before I let my husband take one of his brothers to it. I didn't want to be spoiled of the movie, but I certainly wouldn't feel right about reccomending this movie to anyone who can't get into an R movie on their own. But of course, that's just me. I can't afford their therapy bills.

However, it was a very stylized and awesome movie. The subject matter was very over the top, and although I was expecting it to be rough, it was ... more than I was expecting. Still - it was very original which isn't something you can say about many movies these days. Loved the black and white + some colors (like when the cop shone the flashlight in Dwight's face and where the beam hit it was color) fantastic visual effects all around.

Shawn
Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:39:23 AM
I'm not sure how well this is going to do. I've been hearing and seeing a lot of reports of people walking out of the theater because they thought it was too violent. Not to mention there's a lot of controversy going around, with people claiming its sexist, racist, homophobic and just about everything else you can think of. I'm honestly a bit surprised at the strong reactions this is getting.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:08:05 PM
After watching it myself, I'm not surprised at the mixed reactions. It's very controversial and VIVID. And it's unapologetic for what it is, and not a 'feel good' movie by any stretch of the imagination.

Akrabbim
Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:13:14 PM
I enjoyed watching it for the style, but the plot was a bit... odd. I enjoyed it, but not so much as I'd want to see it again or buy it.

JMK
Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:01:36 PM
I thought it was great, and as far as it being sexist, racist or homophobic, I didn't detect any of those things.

Mu Satach
Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:36:14 PM
I don't get the homophobic comments. Unless they are reading more into the relationship between Cardinal Rouke & Kevin than I am or are overly sensitive about Marv's comments about Lucille..

Racist - don't get that one either... not even when I try...

Sexist - well, an awful awful lot of T & A and pretty much all the "dame's" are "working girls" so that's a given

Not being too familiar with the comics I was not prepared for the level of *ew* it had. Definately not one the whole fam to enjoy.

I still don't know what I think about it personally except parts of it are disturbing.

JediBoricua
Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:58:50 PM
I really didn't have a problem with the film.

It was crude at times, but it's nothing we hadn't seen before. We all saw Kill Bill with exploding hearts, flying limbs and gallons upons gallons of blood.

It wasn't worst than Kill Bill in that sense, IMO. And you have to admit that it was preety funny at timesj

I took away his weapon, both of them

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:09:36 PM
It was a lot darker than Kill Bill. It's like Kill Bill if the Bride is a hooker, Bill a cannibal who ate her daughter, Michael Madsen plays a serial child rapist/tourturer/killer, the other gals are all trying to frame the Bride for it, and the Bride ends up dying AGAIN after getting her revenge. Kill Bill is a super-stylized violent revenge story, Sin City is super-stylized depravity with a touch of humanity.

That being said, it has the potential to be great. I would have preferred it if they had simply chosen one of the stories to focus on ( Marv's ) instead of the piecemeal approach they took. And you could have a movie that involves homicidal hookers, or cannibalistic priests, or pychotic murdering child molesters but all of them in ONE movie is a sensory overload.

JediBoricua
Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:41:00 PM
Your right De'ville. I was just merely referring to the gore we get to see onscreen.

Anyway I still loved it and can't get it out of my head. I have to go and see it again.

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:50:42 PM
I don't feel that the gore factor is what is making or breaking this movie for the people watching it though. :)

Jedieb
Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:58:52 AM
I didn't think it was all that gory. I usually get put off by blood and gore, it's not something I like watching. I think the B&W helped desensitize if for me. This is a violent comic book movie, but a darn good one. The multiple story lines were a bit too much for me as well, but if I'd read all the comics I probably would have wanted as much of the stories in there as possible. I'll tell you one thing, this is a movie I wouldn't let my kids see until they're well into Middle School.

Jedieb
Apr 3rd, 2005, 12:02:54 PM
Looks like it's going to open with over $28M and the number 1 spot. It'll drop off sharply next week, but I think it'll have a solid B.O. take.

Drake Shadowstalker
Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:15:13 PM
I saw it yesterday with a few friends, I liked it.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:01:23 PM
The multiple stories didn't bother me - in fact, I was hoping there would be more. I would have really been stoked if they'd put Family Values in there, but what they had was great already.

Frank Miller has never really taken a mainstream angle with his Sin City books, and I'm very glad the movie stayed true to the books.

The people who are attacking it I can garauntee have not read the comics. They don't understand it, so they're saying it was racist, sexist, and homophobic. They were more than likely expecting a movie like Elektra or Catwoman - slicked up (and full of utter rot) and made for the younger-ish audience members. Sin City is nothing like that tripe, and so they say it's a bad movie, sexist, etc etc. All because they don't know or understand what kind of stories Frank Miller tells.

The effects were great, the white out making the whole film that much truer to the black and white negative space usage of the comic. Overall, I loved the movie, and will definately be getting it when it comes out on DVD.

Zasz Grimm
Apr 4th, 2005, 01:21:14 AM
I hadn't read the comic books, but I went in with a realization that it was a dark comic, and I knew what to expect. I thoroughly enjoyed it. At the theater here, alot of people were obviously dis-satisfied and left.

All the better, I thought. I loved the narration- And I enjoyed Hartigans scenes. Rourke did an awesome job with Marv. It'll be on my DVD collection whenever it's released.

Jedieb
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:15:08 PM
After seeing how AvP was sanitized and crapped up to get a money friendly PG-13, I'm glad they stayed true to the feel of the comic. This could have easily been a run of the mill cash grab.

And this was the best work Mickey Rourke has done in YEARS. For those that have read the comics, any recommendations on what graphic novel to start with?

Shawn
Apr 5th, 2005, 09:38:06 PM
There's no particular timeline, so you can start anywhere. I think Sin City (aka "The Hard Goodbye") might be a good place. Then maybe "A Dame To Kill For". From there, just read whichever story you liked in the movie, or whatever else catches your interest.

Shawn
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:20:40 AM
This is both Not Work Safe and has spoilers, but someone did a side-by-side comparison to the comic with screencaps from the trailer:

http://www.filmrot.com/images/sincity-comparisons/sincity.html#top

I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Morgan Evanar
Apr 9th, 2005, 11:53:57 PM
Everyone who's bashed the movie has done so in a way that clearly shows they don't understand the movie or it's characters.

The main difference between the protagonists and the antagonists is that the protagonists are clearly following a moral code, regardless of how warped it is.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 10th, 2005, 03:25:19 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
This is both Not Work Safe and has spoilers, but someone did a side-by-side comparison to the comic with screencaps from the trailer:

http://www.filmrot.com/images/sincity-comparisons/sincity.html#top

I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Wow. That's really impressive.

JMK
Apr 10th, 2005, 02:44:39 PM
Very cool stuff!