PDA

View Full Version : Lets share holiday recipes!

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 21st, 2004, 01:52:39 PM
I figured it would be a good idea to see everyone's christmas recipes, so those who don't have any good idea for holiday vittles can maybe get inspired. Got a good dessert? Good drink? Good side dishes, or anything of the sort? Post your recipes here.

Here's my Christmas cider recipe.

Christmas Cider:
2 64 oz. bottles Cranberry-Apple juice
1 small frozen oj concentrate
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
1 small package cherry jello (use approx. 1/4)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups water
20 whole cloves
10 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup sugar
1 quart size tea bag
750mL bottle of Captain Morgan's Private Stock dark rum

~~~In large stock pot, put water, cloves, cinnamon sticks and sugar.
Let heat til almost a boil, then cover and let simmer for 15 min.
Next add all the ablove ingredients, EXCEPT the tea bag. Stir well, cover and keep on warm-low heat for at least 30 min. You may want to add sugar according to your personal taste. Put in the tea bag, cover and let steep for another 30 min, remove tea bag ( leaving it in wil make the cider bitter!). I sometimes add ground cinnamon to enhance the taste.

Experiment with the flavor and taste often with a ladle. Some prefer a sweeter blend, others more tart. To me, it's perfect with a sharp pucker for an aftertaste, so I take it easy on the lemon juice and add more cranberry and clove, but to each his own.

(optional) Remove the cider from the stove, and pour it through a sieve and into another cooking pot. This will keep the bits of fruit, cinnamon sticks, and clove out of the drink. I usually prefer it un-strained, but some people may not like all the pineapple pulp and other stuff in the bottom of their mug. After sieving, return to the stove.

Once your cider has steeped for a few minutes, pour in the rum, and stir gently. Let sit another 5-10 minutes. You should now have a pot of hot, fragrant cider that tastes great, and keeps you plenty warm.

Enjoy :cool

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 21st, 2004, 01:57:16 PM
BBQ meatballs

BBQ sauce, favorite
meatballs
Crockpot

Put the cooked and drained meatballs and BBQ sauce in the crockpot. Set the crockpot to high until completely hot, then set to low to keep warm while guests munch!

(add toothpicks for easy meatball removal)

Figrin D'an
Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:02:03 PM
I may just try your cider, Charley. Perhaps for a New Year's party.

Here's one I just made:

Cheesecake Bars

These are made in three parts.

Crust:

1/3 cup soft butter
1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup finely chopped (ground) pecans

Blend butter and brown sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add flour and pecans, mix until crumbly. Press mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 pan. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. While baking, make cheesecake filling.

Cheesecake filling:

8 oz. cream cheese (allow enough time to raise to room temp before using).
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Blend cream cheese and sugar in small mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, blending until smooth. Spread mixture over top of hot baked crust layer. Let stand for a few minutes while mixing pecan topping.

Pecan Topping:

2 eggs
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
3 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Beat eggs until foamy. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well (make sure everything thoroughly mixes with corn syrup). Spoon/drizzle topping onto cheesecake layer in pan, covering as completely as possible. Return pan to oven, baking at 350°F for 25 minutes.

After baking, let cool, and cut into bars (size of bar is at baker's discretion, although I find that small, 1-2" squares are a good size, as they are quite rich).

Rhea Kaylen
Dec 25th, 2004, 07:00:06 AM
Okay, here's a recipe of my dad's that really rocks the planet.

Peanut Butter Treats

2 c. Karo light corn syrup
2 c. granulated sugar
2 c. smooth peanut butter
10 c. plain corn flakes

In saucepan, heat corn syrup and sugar until melted down (bit like a glaze). Add peanut butter; stir until completely mixed. Pour peanut butter mixture over corn flakes in a mixing bowl, and stir until flakes are coated. Drop by mixing-spoonfuls onto greased wax paper and let cool, then enjoy.

(Actually, it's awesome if you don't let them cool completely, because you can eat them when they're still a little warm and soft.)