PDA

View Full Version : Hooray cold weather is here

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 20th, 2004, 03:49:41 PM
Today is great :cool

I woke up and it was 13 degrees (4 wind chill) outside. Finally a day for sweater, coat, gloves, and a toboggan. The downside is that I have to let my truck warm up before driving, but that's a small price to pay. I love winter. I think I'll let my beard grow out now.

Silus Xilarian
Dec 20th, 2004, 04:56:42 PM
Sweater? Coat? Gloves? toboggan?

Dude, you have already have FUR. Is it really that cold?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 20th, 2004, 05:06:20 PM
Yeah, one of the fixers told me it was 17 degrees outside. Apparently back in wallboard they have a temp gun, and he fired it outside.

And I have to let my car heat up every morning as it is - We've been getting ice on our cars for the last two weeks now, and it's such a pain in the tucus to sit and wait for it to defrost off the windshield :\

AmazonBabe
Dec 20th, 2004, 06:36:04 PM
I woke up and it was 13 degrees (4 wind chill) outside.

*dies*

:x!!!

Kelt Simoson
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:03:09 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
Yeah, one of the fixers told me it was 17 degrees outside. Apparently back in wallboard they have a temp gun, and he fired it outside.

And I have to let my car heat up every morning as it is - We've been getting ice on our cars for the last two weeks now, and it's such a pain in the tucus to sit and wait for it to defrost off the windshield :\

17 degrees is nothing join us in britian for a minus 4 start in the moring :)

Charley
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:40:19 PM
I've seen it that cold down here before. We get pretty heavy extremes in temperature.

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 20th, 2004, 07:53:31 PM
I love this cold weather. Yay for heavey hoodie time!

Though my gloves did not work today, for my right hand was still frozen. So I went without for the rest of the day,

Morgan Evanar
Dec 20th, 2004, 08:06:38 PM
Originally posted by Kelt Simoson
17 degrees is nothing join us in britian for a minus 4 start in the moring :) Your minus 4 is not our minus 4. F vs C.

Mandy with an I
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:38:13 PM
-20 to -30 C here. Hurrah :x

Figrin D'an
Dec 20th, 2004, 11:16:37 PM
It wasn't too bad today... hovered in mid-teens. Supposed to be colder later in the week.

The coldest I can remember it being in my home area is -35 F (straight temp, not including wind chill). Hopefully, there won't be any of those days this winter.

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 21st, 2004, 03:21:14 AM
We got our first snow yesterday :D

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 21st, 2004, 07:52:37 AM
You lucky duck :p

Kelt Simoson
Dec 21st, 2004, 12:04:55 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Your minus 4 is not our minus 4. F vs C.

Good point, cant be bothered to convert but let me put it this way, put on anything you want, coats, glooves, hats, you name it and your still bloody cold.

Jenny lives due north of me you ask her what its like in winter up there, when i went to vsit her i was stupidly sat in a teeshirt watching her play Hockey....never again O_O im suprised i didn't die.

AmazonBabe
Dec 21st, 2004, 08:14:32 PM
Lessee... about 70F here (80 last weekend) :uhoh... hell, I forget it's winter sometimes :p

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 21st, 2004, 08:22:13 PM
Originally posted by Kelt Simoson
Good point, cant be bothered to convert but let me put it this way, put on anything you want, coats, glooves, hats, you name it and your still bloody cold.

Jenny lives due north of me you ask her what its like in winter up there, when i went to vsit her i was stupidly sat in a teeshirt watching her play Hockey....never again O_O im suprised i didn't die.

-4 C is 24.8 F, which while chilly, isn't anything to write home about.

I remember a decade ago when we got hit by -4 F (-20 C). In a place like Alabama which doesn't get sustained cold snaps like they do up north, it can be pretty devastating. We lost power for like five days or so. Of course, the six-ish feet of snow helped to contribute to that ;)

Morgan Evanar
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:38:36 PM
This ground hasn't seen snow since the bicentennial, or 1976 to you auslanders.

Zasz Grimm
Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:10:51 AM
In missouri we had snow about a week and a half to two weeks ago. It was nice, stayed a couple days, then we got more. We're supposed to get hammered these next few days.

^_^

And, it has snowed in Florida. Did around late eighties. I remember it when I was a kid. (Jacksonville.)

Morgan Evanar
Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:34:26 PM
Jacksonville has a completely different climate compared to Miami. 140 miles does that.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:13:18 PM
We're supposed to get snow mixed with rain on the 28th. *crosses fingers*

Rognan Dar
Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:57:17 AM
Yeah, we'll be luck to just have it cold enough to snow and have it raining at the same time. Cross your fingers for the wind not to blow at that time.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 23rd, 2004, 01:56:13 AM
HAHA

I ain't going anywhere NEAR the wind tunnel that's your house that day.

Except that I work right by there. :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 23rd, 2004, 08:00:05 AM
It froze this morning!! I couldn't get the key into the car lock, and I had to put most of my weight into getting my door open. And on top of that, my windows are frozen so they won't roll down :(

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 23rd, 2004, 08:25:34 AM
I had to punch my mailbox to break the seal of ice on the door :)

Corias Bonaventure
Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:45:53 AM
There's snow here in Ohio. About fourteen inches, actually. We were all set to head out to visit family in Pennsylvania yesterday; we're still hoping to head out today.

It's certainly not the biggest snowfall I've seen, but it's the most snow this area has gotten in 24 hours. Accidents galore on I-35. It's stopped snowing now, so they'll have had a chance to plow and salt the highways. Interestingly enough, the storm came sharply north-by-northeast from the Gulf; it targeted a band across the Midwest, but it didn't hit Pennsylvania. We'll be driving out of it before we hit Columbus.

Coldest around here so far this year has been -6 F. I've seen it down to -16; my dad, who goes to work early in the morning, says he's seen -24. Two years ago, many schools canceled classes a few days because of the cold.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 23rd, 2004, 12:20:12 PM
Last year we had a snow storm after new years, and then freezing rain on top of it, and then more snow. Ever tried to shovel a driveway covered with snow, and then two inches of ice, and then snow?

Yeah, me either. I was in California at the time in 80 degree weather and missed the whole thing.

AmazonBabe
Dec 23rd, 2004, 02:52:37 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
It froze this morning!! I couldn't get the key into the car lock, and I had to put most of my weight into getting my door open. And on top of that, my windows are frozen so they won't roll down :(

Time to invest in a hair dryer and "shoot" the windows.

Zasz Grimm
Dec 23rd, 2004, 09:00:14 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
Time to invest in a hair dryer and "shoot" the windows.

Take too long. Your better off getting cold / lukewarm water and putting it on your windows/ windshield.

On a lighter note, it was 14 with a windchill of 5.