PDA

View Full Version : Visual Effects Oscar nominations

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 18th, 2004, 04:52:59 PM
I read the list has been put to seven here is the report

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4106975.stm

I can't see how the Aviator getting nominated? Personally I would pick Spiderman 2, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Sky Captain. But that is just my opinion.

CMJ
Dec 18th, 2004, 05:35:10 PM
I saw those acouple of days a go. The flying sequences are apparently spectacular..I'm not surprised The Aviator made the final seven. In fact, it it is one of the three nominees I'd think it would be the favorite for the win. When "prestige" pictures get nominated for VFX they usually end up winning. I could provide numerous examples, but I'm lazy. ;)

Yog
Dec 18th, 2004, 05:51:45 PM
When I saw the trailer for the Aviator, I was thinking oscar nominations all the way. I think it could end up as a frontrunner for the major awards, maybe going for some kind of major sweep.

CMJ
Dec 18th, 2004, 06:01:33 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
When I saw the trailer for the Aviator, I was thinking oscar nominations all the way. I think it could end up as a frontrunner for the major awards, maybe going for some kind of major sweep.

There's no doubt it's gonna be up for a ton of awards. It's going to either win Best Picture or Million Dollar Baby will. Take it to the bank.

My guess is Aviator but the buzz around town is tremendous on MDB right now.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 18th, 2004, 10:55:18 PM
Well I am hoping Harry gets nominated at least. To me the CGI on Buckbeak was amazing the best CGI I have seen for a fictional character. Maybe it will get the nod over Sky Captain.

CMJ
Dec 19th, 2004, 02:31:29 PM
Honestly, I'd be shocked if it was nominated Carr. It's about 5th or 6th most likely IMHO.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 19th, 2004, 05:47:41 PM
I be disapointed to me the effects with Harry were better than DAT (there was some awful CGI in that movie), I Robot and Sky Captain. Buckbeak and the Dementors looked more real than any CGI in those other three movies. I am guess I am hopeful maybe it will pull a surprise considering since SKY Captain was such a big flop that could drag it down.

CMJ
Dec 19th, 2004, 06:07:19 PM
This is how I'd rank their chances to be nominated as of today(not their quality, because obviously I haven't seen them all yet).

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow
3. The Aviator
4. The Day After Tommorrow
5. Prisoner of Azkaban
6. I, Robot
7. Lemony Snicket

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 19th, 2004, 06:33:28 PM
You think Sky Captain being such a huge flop could hurt its chances? I think in past years that has happened to a few films.

CMJ
Dec 19th, 2004, 06:52:02 PM
Possibly. I'm interested to see if the Visual Effects Society nominates the film for several of their awards. If they do then I'm sure it'll get in. It might have been a flop, but the techie people really admired it supposedly. I wouldn't be floored if it got a sound or sound effects editing nomination either.