PDA

View Full Version : AFI Top 10 of '04

CMJ
Dec 12th, 2004, 06:41:33 PM
This is a rather new group in the whole award game. In fact they don't even have "awards" per se(only did so in '01) they just throw out their 10 best list in alphabetical order. Nonetheless since they started this for the year 2000 they've gotten 4/5 Best Picture nominees in all but 1 year(when they went 3/5). So most likely four of your BP nominees are on this list.

The Aviator
Collateral
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Friday Night Lights
The Incredibles
Kinsey
Maria Full of Grace
Million Dollar Baby
Sideways
Spider-Man 2

I'm thinking Aviator, Sideways, & Million Dollar Baby are definitely in. They've shown up at everything so far(the Los Angeles Film Critics even awarded Sideways as their Best pic last night). The last 2 spots I'm more iffy on. It could be any 2 of these seven....

Collateral
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Phantom of the Opera
Ray
Closer
Finding Neverland
Kinsey

Darth McBain
Dec 12th, 2004, 07:11:49 PM
Spiderman 2??? Uh, sorry, I just don't see how that could be on a list of the best movies of '04. If we're talking about best effects, fine - but I just didn't think that was such a great movie. Great popcorn flick, but not on a "best of" list. I'm probably in the minority on that one, but oh well.

As for the rest, I actually haven't seen any of them - the little one has kinda put a crimp on my movie-going of late - but I've heard good things about most of them.

CMJ
Dec 12th, 2004, 08:03:43 PM
Spider-Man 2 was actually one of the best reviewed films of the year. I was really pleased it made their list. It's like #3 on my personal list. :cool

Ryan Pode
Dec 12th, 2004, 08:47:13 PM
Spider-man 2 was a really good movie.

Charley
Dec 12th, 2004, 11:19:38 PM
I'd easily put Spidey 2 on my list as far as good movies of 04 go. Everything about it was simply fantastic, and I'm definitely not a fan of Spiderman.

Rutabaga
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:13:24 PM
For me, Spider-Man 2 was second only to The Passion of the Christ this year. (Haven't seen The Aviator yet, but I'd like to...my father used to work for Hughes Aircraft, so we all have a fascination with good ol' Howard.) I hadn't been all that impressed with the first Spider-Man, and I thought the sequel was everything the first one should have been. I was very pleasantly surprised to see it make the AFI list. :)

CMJ
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:29:56 PM
I am totally pumped to see The Aviator. Howard Hughes was seriously one of the most fascinating characters the good ole US of A has ever produced. It's been getting great notices so far, and I expect it to be one of the heavyweights duking it out for BP.

And by heavyweights I don't mean just nominated. Usually there are 2 or maybe 3 films that actually have a shot to win(and the others their win was the nom). It's only real challenger is Million Dollar Baby I think. Sideways is racking of critic awrds, but I think it's too small for the Academy to go for. A film that small hasn't won in...I don't know...20 years at least.

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 15th, 2004, 10:48:38 PM
The Aviator looks absolutely fantastic. I've really come into a Leonardo DiCaprio renaissance lately. When he isn't making chick flick crap like Titanic and the Beach, he makes some really really enjoyable movies.

As for Passion of the Christ...meh. Its nothing I haven't seen before and to be honest, Jesus of Nazareth tells it much much better.

CMJ
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:18:15 AM
I've long thought DiCaprio was one of the finest young actors working right now. The back to back to back releases of Romeo & Juliet, Titanic and Man in the Iron Mask killed his reputation with most guys of my demographic. He was seen as too much of a heart throb...not a "real" actor.

But the kid(I call him a kid and he's like 3 years older than me ;) ) has done alot of quality work(I'd even argue Titanic is one of his best and hardest roles to pull off). Ask any actor(I dabbled in theater myself as a lad)...playing an all around good guy is tough, not alot to sink your teeth into. You garner more acclaim when you can pull off a handicap or something like that, but in a sense...it's easier to be a cripple than the everyman Jimmy Stewart(who often got criticized for his supposed lack of range).

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:14:47 AM
I have always thought he was a good actor, but since I'm female no one takes my opinion on actors seriously.

Gav Mortis
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:46:12 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I have always thought he was a good actor, but since I'm female no one takes my opinion on actors seriously.

At least you know your place. :love

I have always thought DiCaprio was an excellent actor. Never really been dissappointed by any of his acting in supposed stinkers. But then, I'm an admitted fan of Titanic. The only one left I think.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:57:17 AM
I'm a secret fan of Titanic. ^_^; oh no, I've said too much!!

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 16th, 2004, 06:46:17 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville

Why are you posting? Isn't there some cleaning for you to be doing right now?

Rutabaga
Dec 16th, 2004, 08:31:27 AM
Originally posted by Gav Mortis
But then, I'm an admitted fan of Titanic. The only one left I think.

No, you're not the only one left. Count me in. ;)

CMJ
Dec 16th, 2004, 11:37:48 AM
There are more out there than you think. ;)

I watched a making of type feature on Aviator this morning. Can't wait till Christmas. I could see it beforehand since it's gonna be out in Los Angeles tommorrow, but it's gonna be one of the flicks we see as a family for the holidays.

Figrin D'an
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:13:27 PM
I still think Titanic is a crappy movie (and no, not for superficial reasons).

DiCaprio has made some good movies since the three 'rep killers' that CMJ mentioned. I'm sure The Aviator will be a great movie, I'm just not really into as much as some others. I'll see it, but it's not a priority.

Arya Ravenwing
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:24:25 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
Why are you posting? Isn't there some cleaning for you to be doing right now?

:uhoh too true! *scuttles back to the kitchen*

Darth Vader
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:52:40 PM
My favorite DiCaprio movie is easily The Quick and the Dead, if only because a spaghetti western-styled movie directed by Sam Raimi with Sharon Stone, Russel Crowe, Gene Hackman, and Leo DiCaprio contains so much distillate of Pure Awesome that it is something only spoken about in whispers.