PDA

View Full Version : Best Band of the Year?

Zasz Grimm
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:21:26 AM
Here's my vote.

A Perfect Circle.

This band has kicked some butt this year. But with Emotive and aMOTION. Good god. Loving these two albums.

I thought they deserved some props. Opinions?

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 8th, 2004, 03:39:25 AM
A Perfect Circle are an excellent band, but Emotive was, eh, so-so. It was all a much of a muchness, though I did like "What's Goin On" and "When the Levee Breaks". In terms of new bands, my band of the year has got to be Keane :love

Nehantish
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:02:44 AM
Bowling For Soup.

Zasz Grimm
Dec 8th, 2004, 01:17:43 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
A Perfect Circle are an excellent band, but Emotive was, eh, so-so. It was all a much of a muchness, though I did like "What's Goin On" and "When the Levee Breaks". In terms of new bands, my band of the year has got to be Keane :love

Can't forget Passive. That's an awesome song.

From aMOTION, I like the Blue remix, and the Outsider remix. Good stuff.

Dutchy
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:37:32 PM
Zero 7

Album: When it Falls

Try the song 'Somersault'.

Oriadin
Dec 9th, 2004, 10:23:43 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
In terms of new bands, my band of the year has got to be Keane

Im with Das on this one. :D

Kelt Simoson
Dec 9th, 2004, 02:36:10 PM
Greenday :)

Dark Lord Rivin
Dec 9th, 2004, 04:31:08 PM
"Five for Fighting" Is my vote!

Akrabbim
Dec 10th, 2004, 04:46:43 PM
Creed.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 10th, 2004, 08:43:20 PM
Originally posted by Akrabbim
Creed.

didn't they break up? :/

Mandy with an I
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:36:29 PM
Yes, now they're some other band without the lead singer.

Not a band, but my "year' choice is Accuradio - Brit Pop channel, since it plays all the music of my wasted youth ;)

Videl
Dec 10th, 2004, 09:39:53 PM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
Yes, now they're some other band without the lead singer.

Not a band, but my "year' choice is Accuradio - Brit Pop channel, since it plays all the music of my wasted youth ;)

guess ol' A.S.S finally drove them away.....(A.S.S. was the singer's intials before he changed his name for those who didn't know)

Morgan Evanar
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:23:08 PM
Originally posted by Akrabbim
Creed. Oh please tell me you are kidding.

Akrabbim
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:25:06 PM
Of course I'm kidding. I'm quite suprised anyone took me seriously. :)

Rasha Vill
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:44:43 PM
I really like some of Creed's music! I wouldn't say they are the best, But I have heard a LOT of music that it not nearly as good as theirs, and all in all I like the Music Creed does.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 10th, 2004, 11:51:49 PM
Originally posted by Rasha Vill
I really like some of Creed's music! I wouldn't say they are the best, But I have heard a LOT of music that it not nearly as good as theirs, and all in all I like the Music Creed does. Yeah, ok. Being less sucky doesn't make them not suck. You have vacum of space suck (Avril Lavigne or many other pop pretend talents) and then you have many B52 engines cobbled together to make a suck device suck (Creed). There is, of course, the option of music that doesn't suck.

Figrin D'an
Dec 11th, 2004, 12:01:51 AM
I wouldn't know who to vote for as 'Band of the Year.' I'm not hip enough to have a clue.

Mandy with an I
Dec 11th, 2004, 12:04:20 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
I wouldn't know who to vote for as 'Band of the Year.' I'm not hip enough to have a clue.

I feel the same way. :x I don't listen to "popular' music, because, unfortunately, most of what they play is made for 13 year old girls. :lol

Gav Mortis
Dec 11th, 2004, 03:41:32 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an

Me too. Rather than keeping up with what's good in music these days, since precious little new music is actually worth my time, I've been branching out more and more and sampling new things. I obtained an album by Japanese pop duo Puffy AmiYumi last week and while it's so sugary sweet, at least it's different. :)

James Prent
Dec 11th, 2004, 10:06:37 AM
Ashlee Simpson gets my vote. ;)

Yog
Dec 11th, 2004, 10:48:51 AM
The trouble with chosing a band of the year there is so little innovation and so much recycling of concepts known to sell well. I personally enjoy looking for totally unknown indie bands which on technical, artistic and aesthetic levels often superseed the giant multi million dollar studio productions. The high profiled bands and chart busters play like 10 times a day on the radio or MTV until I get really sick of it. It becomes more about marketing, image and budget rather than musical talent. The average consumer usually dont know better, so they they rush out to buy the recycled stuff like womprats on crack while the small releases dont even register on the crowds radar.

Of course, before you all throw rotten tomatoes at me, Im not talking about the bands mentioned above, I am talking about the music industry in general. I listened to these bands, and they generally make some really high quality music :)

Anyway, I cant really say with confidence which band was the best this year. So I might as well pick a Norwegian artist: <a href=http://www.sondrelerche.com/>Sondre Lerche</a>. His album Two Way Monologue is worth checking out.

Phantom
Dec 12th, 2004, 03:26:46 AM
Audioslave or Slipknot. I would say Metallica, but their last album sucked the south side of my left ... I meant it was really bad.

JMK
Dec 12th, 2004, 04:09:03 PM
Yeah, St. Anger just reeks of poor recording quality, but they could get my vote for band of the year because of their live show. I've been to close to 200 live shows in my life, and when I saw Metallica for the first time this past October, they absolutely blew me away. Best show I've seen in my life by far. And generally I don't like arena shows with pyrotecnics and I left with a hanging jaw.

I also liked Kelt's nom of Green Day. In other years I'd laugh at Green Day as band of the year. I've always been a big fan of theirs, but their new cd is just great.

I don't pay attention to any bands that have emerged in the past 5 years or so. To me they all suck. They're all cookie cutter groups that have no staying power and are way more style than substance.

Peter McCoy
Dec 12th, 2004, 06:08:32 PM
Well its got to be Busted for me.

Sarr Koon
Dec 13th, 2004, 11:55:31 AM
Disturbed...

Peter McCoy
Dec 13th, 2004, 03:21:45 PM
No I'm not. I was actually joking.

Anbira Hicchoru
Dec 13th, 2004, 03:25:34 PM
I really don't listen to new music anymore. Its mostly crap these days.

That being said, I've given Shinedown and Velvet Revolver a stay of execution lately.

Peter McCoy
Dec 13th, 2004, 03:36:46 PM
I really like Velvet Revolver (especially 'Sucker Train Blues'). Dunno about best band though. Young Heart Attack are really good too.