PDA

View Full Version : Alexander

Sarr Koon
Nov 28th, 2004, 03:05:15 PM
I have nothing to say about this movie except that it sucked beyond all reckoning. I dislike it more than Hero.

Arya Ravenwing
Nov 28th, 2004, 03:15:38 PM
w00t that must mean it's great! *runs to go see it ASAP*

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:36:41 PM
I have hard bad things about it, honestly. I had problems with when they picked Colin Ferrel as Alexander. He just doesn't look like the man who conquered most of the known world.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 28th, 2004, 08:44:43 PM
I'll still see it, since I've been waiting for it to come out, and I love movies that portray ancient civilizations.

Jedieb
Nov 28th, 2004, 09:06:36 PM
I think it came in at 6th place over the weekend. Really weak numbers. It's going to be a B.O. dud.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 28th, 2004, 09:29:42 PM
I saw it...

My initial review is "um..."

And then, a deeper look. Alexander was deeply into Alexander's bisexuality, and not so much into the 'war' part of it. Anthony Hopkin's monologues seemed to carry the plot, and left the boring bits to what was actually acted out.

Angelina Jolie was mesmerizing, and Colin Farrell acted beautifully. We get to see his butt! w00t! Over all, the movie was disappointing to me, and much too long.

Sanis Prent
Nov 28th, 2004, 10:17:39 PM
Alexander the Great?

More like Alexander the Gay, am i rite?

This movie BLOWS! Yes, we know that he was gay, can we please get back to conquering the world? Please!

ReaperFett
Nov 28th, 2004, 10:39:29 PM
"Oliver Stone doesn't just create trainwrecks. He knocks the train off the rails, sets it on fire, then kills every person onboard. (And takes three hours to do it.)"
-- Eric D. Snider, ERICDSNIDER.COM
:D

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 28th, 2004, 10:42:03 PM
:lol!

Truth be told, I'm more interested in seeing Baz Luhrmans telling of the tale using Leonadro DiCaprio and Nicole Kidman.

ReaperFett
Nov 28th, 2004, 10:49:10 PM
Isn't happening.

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 28th, 2004, 11:05:38 PM
Oh? How come?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 29th, 2004, 12:27:47 AM
I haven't heard anything about it falling apart recently. This one just looks bad and it isn't the bisexual stuff. It is the story itself from what I have heard. Of course making a good move about Alexander might just be darn near impossible.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2004, 02:15:18 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Alexander the Great?

More like Alexander the Gay, am i rite?

This movie BLOWS! Yes, we know that he was gay, can we please get back to conquering the world? Please!
agreed - I will not be reccomending that anyone catch this one, even on DVD.

Daiquiri
Nov 29th, 2004, 02:45:57 AM
I didnt understand why they didnt hire more ethinic actors for this. Jolie could prolly pull it off but Farrell? :p

Its no secret that I dont like Nicole Kidman but good lord, her as the lead?? :rolleyes

Darth Viscera
Nov 29th, 2004, 05:30:35 AM
I thought it was a great movie. The lovey-dovey speeches between Alexander and Hephaestion were less bad than the fakely done lovey-dovey speeches in AOTC, the rough sex scene with Alexander and his wife was hotness incarnate, and I walked out of the theater wondering if there was anything Alexander could have done to prevent his empire from shattering into 20-odd pieces the very moment he died. As machiavellan as Alexander was depicted as being (or in many cases, that was his crackpot mother), he should have made getting an heir and impaling more disloyal Macedonian generals his #1 priority.

I loved reading about Alexander the Great and his conquests prior to seeing the movie, though, so that probably has a little to do with it. I don't know if I would have liked the movie if I weren't into history.

I would have liked to see more battles in this movie, though. I was at least expecting the Battle of the Granicus.

Yog
Nov 29th, 2004, 05:44:42 AM
Oh? How come?

Nicole Kidman stated that Baz Luhrmans project has been cancelled. This version by Oliver Stone will be the only version.

Sarr Koon
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:28:34 AM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing
w00t that must mean it's great! *runs to go see it ASAP*

Go right ahead. I'll be awaiting your return and the thrashing of the movie that will ensue. I can understand why some people would like Hero, but Alexander?

Darth McBain
Nov 29th, 2004, 10:13:47 AM
There's no way I'll be seeing this - everything I've heard (with the exception of Visc'es post) has really knocked this movie. I also was never too big of a fan of Colin Farrell playing the lead, and I don't really like Angelina Jolie either.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 29th, 2004, 11:14:04 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
Nicole Kidman stated that Baz Luhrmans project has been cancelled. This version by Oliver Stone will be the only version.

I read on the IMDB forums that is an a very old rumor that was reported like 6 months ago and the director debuked it. I think if this one bombs I think we will see another version.

Yog
Nov 29th, 2004, 05:58:54 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I read on the IMDB forums that is an a very old rumor that was reported like 6 months ago and the director debuked it.

They are probably confusing it with the <a href=http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040713b.php>story</a> originating from the Daily Telegraph 12th of july, which was rebuked by the director 13 of july:
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14497,00.html

Nicole Kidmans statement was posted in the Toronto Sun the 28 of october, and is AFAIK the latest update on the project:

Baz Luhrmann's keenly anticipated "Alexander The Great" film is now officially dead, according to his Australian friend Nicole Kidman, who was supposed to co-star in it as Olympias.

"No!" Kidman says when asked if Luhrmann was going to go ahead with the much-delayed project, which was going to rival Oliver Stone's Alexander, due next month. In Stone's film, Angelina Jolie plays Olympias to Colin Farrell's Alexander.

"I was too!" Kidman says when told that viewers were eager to compare the two films and that many were more intrigued by the possibilities of Luhrmann's vision.

Luhrmann, who used Kidman as his femme fatale in Moulin Rouge, last worked with her on a spectacular, multimillionaire Chanel ad in which she plays herself, a movie star escaping media hordes in a Moulin Rouge-like fantasy setting.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2004, 06:40:15 PM
I actually found that Alexander painted a very accurate (to what I've read) and lurid picture of the hedonistic Hellenistic age. Strange that both the Greek and Roman empires had so many things in common towards the ends of their dynasties.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 29th, 2004, 06:40:50 PM
Actually, this was me. :mneh
Originally posted by Sarr Koon
Go right ahead. I'll be awaiting your return and the thrashing of the movie that will ensue. I can understand why some people would like Hero, but Alexander?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:46:07 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
They are probably confusing it with the <a href=http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040713b.php>story</a> originating from the Daily Telegraph 12th of july, which was rebuked by the director 13 of july:
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14497,00.html

Nicole Kidmans statement was posted in the Toronto Sun the 28 of october, and is AFAIK the latest update on the project:

Still she is just an actress what does she know. The project could easily come back again

Zasz Grimm
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:49:26 PM
Originally posted by Sarr Koon

I can't say for sure if I'll see Alexander or not. But apparently good movie plot are lost on you (Hero)

It's a japanese made film. You should have kept that in your mind walking in.

Roger Talbert
Nov 29th, 2004, 09:56:45 PM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm
It's a japanese made film.

No it isn't.

Darth Viscera
Nov 30th, 2004, 06:26:38 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I actually found that Alexander painted a very accurate (to what I've read) and lurid picture of the hedonistic Hellenistic age. Strange that both the Greek and Roman empires had so many things in common towards the ends of their dynasties.

If you're referring to the gay, I don't think greco-roman hedonism was confined to the Hellenistic period :p although it would have been funny if some governmental official in Roman-occupied Athens in 146 B.C. had posted a bulletin saying "Hellenism ended yesterday. Sorry, no more institutionalised mansex!"

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:05:49 AM
no, I know it wasn't.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:09:52 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
I'll still see it, since I've been waiting for it to come out, and I love movies that portray ancient civilizations.

In contrast, I loathe movies that attempt to do this. No mainstream movies inside the past 15 years have put together a portrayal both interesting and accurate. I would rather see fictionalized instances like Hero or Gladiator that are done with an exquisite artistic touch than played-out glorification pieces like Alexander.

Shawn
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:43:41 PM
I want a movie that delves into Egyptian mythology, but I suppose I'll have to settle for the likes of Stargate and Immortel until something else comes along.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:49:58 PM
No film like that has done a good job since the 60's which sucks. It has to do with Hollywood. Probably better of with the history channel for stuff like that. They actually had a great documentary on Alexander a couple of weeks ago.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:19:03 PM
The vistas of Babylon (including the Hanging Gardens, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world) were breathtaking in this movie. In contrast, the battle in the desert was way too dusty - it may have been realistic, but we couldn't see a darn thing.

Akrabbim
Nov 30th, 2004, 03:01:25 PM
I'd love to see a movie on Norse mythology. I love 13th Warrior, and Eric the Viking is fun as well. I'd just love to see a whole Valhalla-type movie.

Shawn
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:02:41 PM
Until then, you can content yourself playing Rune (http://pc.ign.com/articles/161/161643p1.html). :)

Drake Shadowstalker
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:54:33 PM
Originally posted by Zasz Grimm
I can't say for sure if I'll see Alexander or not. But apparently good movie plot are lost on you (Hero)

It's a japanese made film. You should have kept that in your mind walking in.

I'm sorry. Was that meant to be insulting?

Maybe you didn't notice, but the movie is set in China, spoken in Chinese, and all the actors are Chinese. Do you think maybe it could be a Chinese film? No, it definately must be Japanese. I'm sorry for questioning you.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 30th, 2004, 07:01:00 PM
Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
In contrast, I loathe movies that attempt to do this. No mainstream movies inside the past 15 years have put together a portrayal both interesting and accurate. I would rather see fictionalized instances like Hero or Gladiator that are done with an exquisite artistic touch than played-out glorification pieces like Alexander.

I do agree with you on that. Nothing has ever impressed me in the last 15 years of historical movies as much as Ben-Hur - and that was done LONG before Hollywood started going downhill with historical flicks. BUT, i'll still see it for no other reason than to at least get some ideas for making some new 3D models and designs.

Originally posted by Drake Shadowstalker
I'm sorry. Was that meant to be insulting?

Maybe you didn't notice, but the movie is set in China, spoken in Chinese, and all the actors are Chinese. Do you think maybe it could be a Chinese film? No, it definately must be Japanese. I'm sorry for questioning you.

Ease up. He made a simple mistake :|

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:40:07 PM
TV has done a better job. For example, HBO was working on a big miniseries in coproduction with Spielberg on the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. Not sure what the status of it now is. But that would be very cool if it happened.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:38:56 AM
If anyone knows and can tell me where I can get my hands on HBO's Masada miniseries, I would love them forever.

Drake Shadowstalker
Dec 1st, 2004, 12:58:50 PM
nvm this

Telan Desaria
Dec 7th, 2004, 09:45:52 PM
I saw only parts of the movie while patrolling a theater, but I can sway I am seriously disappointed in the movie's portrayal of Alexander as a homosexual. I can say, that as a gay man, I feel the movie exploited that audience. It was poorly done to boot.

As an historian, I can the movie was horridly inaccurate and the only thing even remotely belonging to excellence was any scene Involving His Excellency Sir Anthony Hopkins.

A truly shoddy piece or artwork. Very Picasso in its rotteness/

JMK
Dec 8th, 2004, 07:33:36 AM
Ouch! Is this movie ever getting ripped. I guess this belongs up there with 'Freddie Got Fingered'.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 8th, 2004, 12:00:56 PM
I don't think it is that bad however it is a bad historical epic for certain. I feel sorry for that European company that pored the money into. WB distributed but they didn't put a cent into movie some company named infofilm or something did it that company will probably go bankrupt after this.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:23:50 AM
Well I finally saw it after renting it this weekend. First off it is very historically accurate which I was shocked at. Knowing Alexander the Great very well (his period is one my favorites in history), I was surprised how accurate they got most things. The only inaccuracy was at the Battle of Gauglamela(sp) Alexander didn't charge on Darius although Darius did run like a coward when the battle turned against him. But that is a minor inaccuracy, heck I was worried about his Father's death but they kept that a mystery (they hinted the persians, the greeks, Olympius or maybe Parsiminious just did it on his own).

Okay dislikes and likes the battle scenes were great and so wasn't the overall scope of the film (Babylon, Alexandria, Pella and India all of those were very well done). I wish they had shown more of the battles and cut out of some Alexander's ravings but that is me. The major problem which I foresaw was Colin Farrel, I didn't buy that he was Alexander the Great for one moment and that was why this movie failed. If they had cast a different actor somebody who could have pulled it off, I bet the movie would have worked because the technical aspects and the story was fine it was Farrel was awful he just didn't seem like the man who conquered the world. Still, I liked it mainly because it was an accurate film that did a good job at showing that particular period of history.