PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen The Grudge?

Lady Vader
Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:10:14 AM
I know it came out a few weeks ago, and it looked pretty darn creepy.

I was just curious if any topics had been started on it, or if anyone had seen it yet.

(I kinda wanted to know if it was on creepy-par with The Ring or not.)

Gurney Devries
Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:22:02 AM
I've heard it isn't very good. :\ If you're really curious, you should probably watch the original, which is (by all accounts) much better.

Lady Vader
Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:25:52 AM
Ok. I was kinda hoping to take my sister to see it. She scares easily, and in usually more fun to watch her freak out than actually watch the movie. :D

<-- is ebil ^_^;

Akrabbim
Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:04:42 PM
I personally liked it. I found it to be less creepy overall than the Ring, but it had a lot more jump-out-go-boo scary bits. I thought they did a really good job building up suspense, as well. Just be aware that there are several flashbacks. You have to be paying attention to make sure you keep up with the plot. I highly recommend it, though.

Syren Wyssholt
Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:40:17 PM
My daughter (she's 17) seen it last weekend and absolutely loved it. She said that it scared her far more than the Ring scared her and that there were several instances which made her scream outloud during the movie. She gives it a rave review and two thumbs up; and she's a girl who loves to be scared by a film but has only had two films scare her - The Ring and The Grudge.

According to reviews and such that I've read about it in entertainment news, its a low budget film that has exceeded expectations with how much its earning in the theaters. Other accounts I've read (on other forums and such), those who've seen it recommend it highly.

Linn O'Conner
Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:11:34 PM
I saw it a couple weekends ago. It didn't particularly scare me, but my sister was freaked out for a week. So it depends on how easily you scare.

Otherwise, though, it was pretty good.:lol

Gurney Devries
Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:46:32 PM
Ah well.

For what it's worth, I thought "Saw" was a pretty darn good movie. The acting was pretty spotty, but the premise and the plot more than made up for it. Then again, I thought The Ring started sucking as soon as it became a lost episode of Scooby Doo.

IMDB scores:

Saw / 7.4 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387564/)
Ju-On: the Grudge (2000) / 7.0 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330500/)
The Grudge (2004) / 5.9 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0391198/)

I guess it boils down to personal preference. From the looks of it, if you enjoyed the Ring, you'll probably like it.

Syren Wyssholt
Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:40:36 PM
"Cyrel" and I plan to see both The Grudge and Saw. We're just debating on if we want to catch them in the theater or wait for them to arrive on DVD.

Gav Mortis
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:43:44 AM
The Ring only has one or two decent parts that freaked me out. It was done with great style but no substance and I wanted to tear the world apart when it ended. Especially when everyone around me was gushing.

A preview for The Grudge was aired the other night and I must say there seems to be some very eerie imagery in there and compared to what I saw on the theatrical trailer, it looks quite interesting. At the end of the day it still sounds like another nonsensical "The Ring" sort of movie. If you want a good scare and an entertaining movie, I echo Gurneys words; give "Saw" a chance.

Mandy with an I
Nov 5th, 2004, 01:00:13 AM
I really really hated "The Ring", but enjoyed "Ringu". Everyone said that "The Ring" was so immensely scary. I'm sorry, when you know every little plot point, and can call them out before they happen, it's not scary.

I really want to see this movie, but now I think I'll wait till it hits the $4 theatre or video XD

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 5th, 2004, 07:41:16 AM
The Ring freaked me out so badly I would never in a million years see a movie that is "like The Ring."

*shudder*

AmazonBabe
Nov 5th, 2004, 06:56:08 PM
Well, I did enjoy The Ring. Even went so far as to call my sister after the movie ended on her cell just like it was done in the movie.

<-- is still ebil

I'll prob go see The Grudge only cause it looks like it might catch my fancy.

I will however check out this Saw when I get a chance. Never heard of it up until this thread, so i'll do some research.

EDIT: Well, um ^_^; I saw Dru's review of the movie and some of the other's comment's. If LD's comment is true about it looking on par or gorier than Se7en or Silence of the Lambs, then I won't be seeing it. Those movies just don't sit well with me.

Kelt Simoson
Nov 11th, 2004, 07:28:41 PM
No thread?

Well, from the reviews and trailers i saw, this flim did not look half bad. It was last sunday that i actually watched it after my dad spontaniously getting up and going ' right, movies!'. The first few moments were what i expected from a Japanese orginated plot line. I decent start, a well thought out storyline and a good depth of characters.

Unfortunetly as the movie progressed i started seeing major elements of the 'The Ring' being implemented. Such as when the housemaid looked into the attic and sees the first signs of the woman, her hair is covering her face, just as the girl in The Ring did with only one eye showing, which made me think 'Ring Ripoff' pretty much right away Other elements of The Ring were there to, big bits of the movie were missing such as a few killings were cut from the movie, one big bit missing was the man that ran the care center seeing the jawless woman, earlier killed in the movie and then it cutting away only to reveal his death later.

What follows is some jaw-droppingly awful acting (the aforementioned Gellar), ridiculous repeats of Don't Go In that Empty Dark Room (again, and again, and again….), Don't Stick Your Hand/Head/Choice of Anatomy in that Dark Space, Don't Walk Slowly Down That Dark Corridor and Don't Ignore Your Boyfriend . The film even throws in the kitchen sink of horror films : the cheap 'scare' of a thrown cat... This is one of the film's highlights! Didn't anyone learn from the 'Scream' movies that audiences are not putting up with lame bits for cheap thrills!

The sold-out screening I saw this with an full audience of unbelieving at each set-up of how LAME things were! There were unsolicited giggles of disbelief and incredulous anger of just how STUPID the characters were behaving including the Japanese detective (Ishibashi) who knows the entire history of the haunted house because… drum roll please… he was part of a team of buddies who INVESTIGATED this when it happened and his three police buddies wound up missing...

I truly hate films that think they can be coy and clever and assume 'Oh no one will mind if we use the same set-ups and gags over and over' or 'We haven't told a scary story like this for years' because no one would suspect some Hollywood studio to naively think a new renaissance is occurring even if it is an import from a foreign land!

On the plus side there was no screaming blondes, running up the stairs instead of out the door or unnatual points in the movie that instantly made me think 'oh god another slasher movie'. The actors played it out rather wel in that respect and kept it as realistic as possible and not cheesy enough to spread the movie over toast.

This film is not a bad watch if you into renacting the same scary thing over and over, i think that, from my personal view, its a American made film that copied it from an original Jpanese movie (Like The ring was) and from what i can see was much better and detailed (again, like the ring was). In this case i think i enjoyed the Original movie made with the same plot from Japan rather than this (again LoL, like The Ring) copy.

A good watch, but i advice to watch the orginal Japanese Gruge rather than this if you really wish to watch this movie and understand its plot.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2005, 12:23:37 AM
I am resurrecting this thread. I saw this film tonigh and I agree with Kelt. Heck I thought the Ring was better which is saying anything. The movie had so many plot holes I could drive a semi through them, and I think Kelt covered most of them for me.

jjwr
Feb 6th, 2005, 08:03:54 AM
I finally saw this last night. It wasn't bad, to me the Ring was ridiculously lame, I didn't find any of it even remotely scarry but this had some genuine creepy parts, not quite scarry but some very creepy stuff.