PDA

View Full Version : writing music

March Kalas
Oct 28th, 2004, 12:48:25 PM
I'm composing my first guitar piece for classical guitar. It will not be very complex as it is my first. It starts with a very slow melody with a constantly moving harmony, then moves quickly into a theme with some quick pull-offs. The harmonic progression so far is mainly: Em, Am, B7, Em, Am B7, etc.

Hopefully when I'm done, I'll upload a sound file so everyone can hear it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 28th, 2004, 04:21:10 PM
minor chords are nice, some of my favorites. :)

March Kalas
Oct 29th, 2004, 12:06:50 PM
Yeah. It's the same harmonic progression as in "Romance" (a traditional guitar piece) except much faster.

I'm planning on making the form: A,B,A
"A" would be the first main, 12 bar phrase of course followed by "B", but I haven't really decided on what "B" should be yet.

I could either use this form or just repeat the original phrase with a little variety in the theme or something, or I could use the "A,B,A" with "A" being the repeated variations of the original phrase.

decisions, decisions

Darth McBain
Oct 29th, 2004, 01:37:28 PM
Cool - post it when you're done. I am pretty heavy into classical music and I've written a bunch of pieces. Lately I've kinda been out of it as far as composition goes, but I want to get back into it - it would be neat to see some other compositions...

Morgan Evanar
Oct 30th, 2004, 12:15:34 AM
If you're going to post the result, do yourself a favor and conver it to an mp3 first :)

March Kalas
Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:53:30 PM
Yeah, well, I need to practice it a little so I can get a good recording. Pretty soon, I'll probably have my own website up. I don't know.

When I upload the file, should I start a new topic with the [mus] prefix?

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:56:42 PM
no, put it in here. :)

March Kalas
Nov 9th, 2004, 01:48:39 PM
OK, I just need to practice (I also need a better guitar).

Does anyone else play guitar?

Khendon Sevon
Nov 10th, 2004, 05:44:13 PM
I play guitar ;) Have a Jackson customshop RR1, Fender 1996 American Strat w/ hotrail on the bridge, and a horrible Hondo acoustic. I play through a Marshall 1980's JCM 900 2100 lead volume series head with a Marshall 1960AX cab with reissued greenbacks.

Mmm... my amp can drown out all of those new sissy Marshalls. Weird how older amps, in general, are better sounding.

As you can probably surmount, I don't play classical.

March Kalas
Nov 11th, 2004, 01:06:36 PM
I really want to get a Seagull classical right now, but I don't really have the spending money. It's not really expensive (about $500) but sounds very nice. It's a very good price for a hand made guitar.

March Kalas
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:04:42 PM
due to being incredibly busy the past week or two, I'll need some more time to practice my piece and stuff.

Peter McCoy
Dec 14th, 2004, 11:06:09 AM
I've got a nice Tanglewood electroacoustic but the electrics are buggered so I just use acoustic strings now. It's got a great tone and Sweet Home Alabama sounds great on it.