PDA

View Full Version : X-Men: Legends

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 26th, 2004, 07:22:06 PM
Has anyone else played this game? I'm fairly far into it, and I have to say - I love it! Of course, I usually am crap at any video game I pick up because I can't play 1st person shooters. X-Men: Legends has an engaging storyline, and although I can't compare it to anything, I think it's really good. You can play almost any of the X-men, although you have to earn characters as you go along, starting with Wolverine.

Patrick Stewart voices Prof. X... the other voice acting is pretty good. It isn't a first person shooter, obviously, most of the time you spend looking down on your character from an angle - not straight down. The mutant powers are awesome, and they get better the more you level up. I'm at about level 15 with Wolverine.

Leveling up can be a bit tedious, you usually have a group of four X-men traveling on your missions, and they level up a lot, depending on what you happen to be doing on your missions. But the more you level up, the better your X-men get at kicking butt, which is my favorite bit. :D Also, the other X-men who aren't in your party will also gain points even though you aren't actively playing with them. If my group of X-men all level up about five times before I try to use a different character, my new character will be leveled up as well, which is nice. You don't have to worry about less used characters being weaker than the four you usually use.

:D I like it. Anyone else tried it? I'm playing it on the X-box.

Rognan Dar
Oct 26th, 2004, 08:09:29 PM
I bought it resently and I lit it also. I have only just started it though. But from all that I have played it is quite amusing and a good game to play. The whole character shading or whatever that is looks funny to me and thats the only part I dont like. But its great to make your x-men all that you want them to be and dont have a set player that you can't change around.

All in all its a fun game to waste brain cells on. :p

Figrin D'an
Oct 26th, 2004, 08:29:25 PM
Reviews have been pretty good... I've heard it's an action-RPG along the lines of a Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. If I have a chance, maybe I'll rent it.

Drake Shadowstalker
Oct 26th, 2004, 08:33:19 PM
Is Night Crawler in it?

Charley
Oct 26th, 2004, 08:49:00 PM
I've heard favorable things about it. I'll probably rent it in a week or two.

Sarr Koon
Oct 26th, 2004, 11:24:56 PM
I'll only rent/buy it if it has Night Crawler!!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2004, 01:51:35 AM
Nightcrawler is in it, and he's awesome. :D Although I prefer Wolvie, or Gambit.

And Rognan, I think the word you're looking for is "cell shading." I love the look of this game, it's very slick, imo.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 27th, 2004, 02:51:59 AM
You can play as Nightcrawler and Gambit? :eek Who else?

ReaperFett
Oct 27th, 2004, 05:17:25 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
You can play as Nightcrawler and Gambit? :eek Who else?
Pretty much all the X-Men people who don't read the comics would know :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2004, 04:28:05 PM
Storm, Rogue, Jean Grey, Prof. X (one time only), Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Beast, Gambit, Cyclops, Iceman, Jubilee, and probably some others I haven't gotten to yet. Also, the story centers around a young, new mutant named Magma who has some super kick butt powers. :D

ReaperFett
Oct 27th, 2004, 05:19:52 PM
Only 19 characters, and they picked Magma :)

Charley
Oct 27th, 2004, 10:47:37 PM
No Magneto? :(

Chaos Alexander
Oct 27th, 2004, 10:57:04 PM
No, But you can play as Night Crawler. The one that kicks alot of.....at that. His X-Treme move has teh chance to take 1/2 any bosses life if his critical hit, and sucker punch skill are maxed out. Add that to his teleport, and leap of faith....he is easily the best fighter, and ally in the game hands down.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 29th, 2004, 04:25:34 PM
Charley - you play as the X-Men, not the Brotherhood. In the "Danger Room" (for honing your skills, or playing against a friend) you can play as the bad guys, although I've only seen Toad and Mystique in my Danger Room. You can't use characters in the Danger Room until you've unlocked them in the game... or encountered them, in the case of the Brotherhood mutants.

Rognan Dar
Oct 31st, 2004, 11:46:33 PM
You have to unlock everything in the game. As far as new people to new places around the mansion. You start out inside the mansion but you cant go outside (which you can do later) until the story supports that area.

And the game is great. It keeps getting better the more you play it.

James Prent
Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:57:48 AM
the astral plane is kicking my... well you get the picture. :x

Pierce Tondry
Nov 2nd, 2004, 09:09:47 AM
Kicking your shins?

*Imagines a big cloud of ethereal energy whapping Holly on the shins with a cane and chuckles.*

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:28:37 PM
its kicking my astral. :x

Drake Shadowstalker
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:26:32 PM
Should I rent or buy this game?

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:36:33 PM
I would say buy.

It takes appox. 30 hours or more to beat, I've been told. I'm at about 12 hours game time...still smack in the middle of the Astral Plane. Unfortunately there was no save point for me where I'm at, so I had to just pause it and hope that no one pops the disc out. ^_^;

Drake Shadowstalker
Nov 4th, 2004, 04:20:08 PM
And would you say the replay value is significant? I like to buy games that I can play through a few times.

Mitch
Nov 4th, 2004, 05:53:29 PM
My roomies and I got this game about a week ago, and we love it. Replay value will be high, as it's a game you can jsut pick up and play at any time.

Personally, I'm loving Wolverine, but I was amazed at the power that Rogue packs.

Rognan Dar
Nov 5th, 2004, 04:39:11 PM
Oh, this game gets better and better the more you play it!!! I'm so crazy about it now!!! I have most of my Mutants close to level 30 and they all get a single better move at that level for each other their skills once you upgrade it all the way. I use Storm alot and is just about the only person I use right now. She is like at lv. 33 and with her chain lightning with its final upgrade, you can't see what your doing because of all the flashing her lighting attack makes. I also jsut use like the same three people with a odd one out that I change now and then. I dont see the point really in using them all. Some are good, but some just dont have what it takes to keep uop with whats going on.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:31:14 PM
you're further into the game than I am now, Rog, I've got Wolverine at level 23 now... ^_^; I'm stuck in the part where you have to fight all the Sentinels in New York City and rescue the mutants... I got through the first part...twice... but the second part on 4th street where two sentinels come at once, and then THREE sentinels... I guess I just don't have the right people.

Zasz Grimm
Nov 7th, 2004, 03:23:37 PM
I've heard mixed reviews. I won't pick it up, as I fear it's a turn based game (i hate turn based)

but if it's an action RPG, where you control an individual character, and can hack and slash with him, I might rent it.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 7th, 2004, 03:50:11 PM
I wish I had a console to play this on :(

Rognan Dar
Nov 7th, 2004, 10:08:43 PM
I think I had my people a little higher then that...dont remember. You meet a new x-men there if you have not finished it yet. And the great new person to be is.............psylocke.

Well, I dont know if you can call this cheating, though it was no hack just something in the danger room. I dont know if you do the danger room stuff, but some of it is cool to just do plus you get EXP for it. But if you do then there is this one thing you can do, its call the graduation exam. Basically, it a big all fight in the Astral Plains where you have to protect Charles and destory some pillars. but the catch is that there is this one group of evil minions that are really weak but give you the biggest amount of EXP that I have EVER seen. But I dont remember where I found it. It might have been in a mission and if it was and you skipped it, then your out of luck.

Zyon Rouge
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:05:26 PM
Originally posted by Rognan Dar Well, I dont know if you can call this cheating, though it was no hack just something in the danger room. I dont know if you do the danger room stuff, but some of it is cool to just do plus you get EXP for it. But if you do then there is this one thing you can do, its call the graduation exam. Basically, it a big all fight in the Astral Plains where you have to protect Charles and destory some pillars. but the catch is that there is this one group of evil minions that are really weak but give you the biggest amount of EXP that I have EVER seen. But I dont remember where I found it. It might have been in a mission and if it was and you skipped it, then your out of luck. Yeah, I remember that. If you use Phoenix Force(Jean Greys Xtreme attack), it can normally give you a level a pop, and enough Xtreme tokens for another. I got my guys like 13 levels off of that alone.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 8th, 2004, 07:21:21 PM
Zasz - it's not a turn based game, at least I don't think so. There's a lot of hacking and slashing involved.

Rognan Dar
Nov 8th, 2004, 10:34:50 PM
Originally posted by Zyon Rouge
Yeah, I remember that. If you use Phoenix Force(Jean Greys Xtreme attack), it can normally give you a level a pop, and enough Xtreme tokens for another. I got my guys like 13 levels off of that alone.

Yeah, I got a lot of levels off of it. I was laughing the whole time because like every other kill I got another level for someone. Good times.

The game is all about hacking and slashing. If you want you can just sit back and use your powers on them, but whats the fun in that when you can go up into their faces and take their smug mutant slaming faces off.

James Prent
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:40:14 AM
I AM SO NOT HAPPY right now. :mad I'm on 4th street in the New York mission, and I'm supposed to rescue 5 mutants and destroy 13 Sentinels... WELL THE LAST TWO SENTINELS AREN'T APPEARING! My entire level is cleared, and I've done it TWICE and both times I am missing two sentinels and it won't let me leave the level until I kill these two non-existant sentinels. :cry Why me!?

Rognan Dar
Nov 9th, 2004, 09:04:25 PM
Have you walked around everywhere? Sometimes it doesn't show where they are and even if you do walk around where they come down, you have to be in the right area to trigger it. I had some problems to but it was not for this long. Maybe I'll come over and help you ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:19:27 AM
I've walked everywhere at least ten times, and I've played the level TWICE, and the same thing happened both times. :cry

JMK
Nov 11th, 2004, 10:05:10 AM
It's ok LD, they're just afraid of your butt whipping skills. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:45:49 PM
LOL yeah that's for sure. >D

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 29th, 2004, 08:19:29 PM
It's definitely not a turnbased game. You got buttons for strong attacks, weak attacks, jumps, and grapples. Mutant powers are fun too. It's also multi-player! My brothers and I all play at the same time.ee

Rognan Dar
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:40:15 AM
Yes, I did that with my brothers. Though at times it can become quite bothersome. For one, you have to share a small screen with four people that want to go off and do their own thing. Doesn't work all that great. But it does help at times to know that there is someone that should be better then the Bots to help fight.

Oriadin
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:43:14 AM
I completed it at the weekend with my girlfriend doing multiplayer all the way through. Generally I was very impressed. There are a few small issues with multiplayer like going across a bridge and one of the non controled players will fall off and die by themselves, thats very anoying. Im looking forward to going through this game again and trying out new characters that I didnt really use. Wolverine was there throughout and mostly I played as him. The simple fact that his recovery made him imposible to leave out,l plus he's the best at what he does... bup!

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:50:23 PM
Nightcrawler's power is incredibly interesting. The flurry one, where you hit random people.

Colossus is just flat out a killer melee character. I liked him too.

BTW, Nightcrawler's strike does not affect his teleporting attacks. That's what really threw me when I first started out.

James Prent
Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:20:06 PM
Ok, so I finally restarted that trio of missions, and voila! An extra Sentinel to kill, and I got to go on. Yay!

But now I'm on Asteroid M, and I can't get past the Weapon's Platforms with enough health left to defeat the things that come afterwards!! Argh!

Rognan Dar
Feb 4th, 2005, 12:48:03 AM
Buy some health at Forge or the healer or whoever gives you health before you get to that part. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 4th, 2005, 01:21:38 PM
Is that the very end with the spider sentiles and then Mastermold comes in? One key is to make sure you turn on the generators when Mastermold is there it makes the fight with him a lot easier. Still that last section is very hard took me forever to beat I went through half of the team to finally complete it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 4th, 2005, 05:22:01 PM
Turn on the generators? hmmm I guess I should look for those. Yeah, I get past the Mastermold, sort of, and then all the other huge Sentinels come out and I is screwed.

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 4th, 2005, 11:09:18 PM
I went through all of my team...twice. Or was it three times?

Nightcrawler was the best thing I had going for me though. His Xtreme power works very well against bosses.

Rognan Dar
Feb 5th, 2005, 12:03:00 AM
Huh, I dont recall ever losing so many people...maybe I did...long time ago. I guess it might have help to have like my whole family playing with me when I went through it. At lest towards the end of the game.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2005, 01:20:09 AM
On those platforms their are like 3 generators I think you need to turn all three of them on and it weakens Mastermold. As for the lesser sentiles well I had no problem with them Wolverine was so far up I just had him slice and dice them, took him two hits to kill them for me. First time couple of times I tried it I went through the whole team because of the generator deal. That makes the whole battle so much easier.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 5th, 2005, 01:46:53 PM
Man maybe my guys just aren't leveled up enough. ^_^;

What level were you at? My guys are at about... level 37.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 5th, 2005, 05:44:44 PM
I got mine up to 37 and 38 for a few like Wolverine. I had trouble and had to go through half of my team to win. It isn't easy but doable. I bet it is easier if you max them out.

Rognan Dar
Feb 6th, 2005, 12:25:52 AM
It is not so much what level they are at as far as how you leveled them. Only then will it matter what level they are at. If you just did a whole bunch of different things, just trying them out, then you person is going to be weak with everything. I know for most of my guys I had to choose like one move to get really good or none of them would be good.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 6th, 2005, 02:16:25 AM
gargh! I don't want to have to start ALL OVER!

Although it would be fun. :p

Rognan Dar
Feb 6th, 2005, 09:58:13 PM
I caught on to this quite soon, so I knew what needed to be done. Though, I wish I could have everything maxed out. Otherwise you just lose somet cool things.

Hey, question time! What is your favorite mutant that you can play? And base your answer on how they are in the game. For me, it woud have to be storm. When you max her lightning strike out, it rocks all. Espcially when its chain lightning and hits a thousand people! :D

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 6th, 2005, 10:27:27 PM
I love Wolverine he is just so powerful especially at the end. The healing factor at the end really helps, I also actually started to like Cyclops his blasts are really strong.

Rognan Dar
Feb 7th, 2005, 11:32:19 PM
Cyclops? Eww. I hate him. Never really used him, I guess, and didn't bother to try him out. Not that he is bad...just...neglected.

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 8th, 2005, 08:36:09 AM
Rog dog, you have no idea what you were talking about. The Cyclops character in my game could take out Sentinels and the Advanced Sentinels in one hit.

I enjoyed playing Nightcrawler, myself. I never did much wit his Teleport leap, but his Teleport Flurry got to be very very strong. I took out Magneto using Nightcrawler alone. :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 8th, 2005, 11:29:05 AM
I think I've tried to make my people too EVEN, and so they just suck. :(

Morgan Evanar
Feb 9th, 2005, 11:48:30 AM
Yeah, my friend and I are playing it when we get some free time. Our characters are around level 16-20, and we tend to favor one power over others. Making them even leaves you mostly impotent.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 9th, 2005, 08:28:36 PM
maybe I'll just start over. ^_^;

Rognan Dar
Feb 10th, 2005, 12:27:11 AM
At lest try to finish it you big quiter.

And Wei, I just didn't like him so I didn't bother. I really jsut hate cyclopes ever since the X-Men movies. He's cool, but can be easily replaced.

All the characters can be good, even great, if done right. Though, I'm not sure about iceman. IMO, his moves are just crap, even if they are upgraded. :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 10th, 2005, 12:36:01 AM
I already TRIED finishing, I keep dying. :( I'll try again in a few days.

Rognan Dar
Feb 10th, 2005, 12:40:57 AM
Have me over and I'll help you win. It is a lot easyer to play when you have at lest on other person helping you. Then you dont have to worry to much about the rest of your team getting killed. Not to much...

Wei Wu Wei
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:10:26 AM
Iceman, Jubilee, Gambit, and Emma Frost were the hardest to level up for me. The projectile energy attacks for Iceman and Jubilee aren't that great, and Iceman's widebeam only really does any good at high levels. As for Jubilee and Gambit, I've never understood her powers. Emma Frost's powers are interesting, but often times I'm not so sure they work most of the time. All I get is these wierd things over the bad guy's heads and they just keep on as usual. but when Fear does work, the bad guys run out of range too quickly.

Essentially, for my Iceman, I leveled up his widebeam attack to Legend so enemies would get frozen in ice. Then I kept the Ice armor maxed out on the first level and used those two powers together.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:19:32 PM
Iceman is pretty good once you get leveled up his freeze frame stuff is good on some levels. The worst character in the game was Jublee she was just so weak, I didn't even bother to use her.

Rognan Dar
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:49:43 PM
Same her. About Emma, though. I do believe that one of her moves makes the enemy switch sides for a while. But if you attack them after doing it, it means nothing.

I like more physical, or at lest damaging, characters. My brother liked Gambit, and he was pretty good when we combo-ed a enemy.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 11th, 2005, 01:00:23 AM
Gambit has some cool moves I love his staff slam one. I read you can pick stuff up and charge though I never tried that first time through the game.

Rognan Dar
Feb 12th, 2005, 11:43:15 PM
Yeah I guess there is something like that. I put a few things on the charge thing for him and Jub, but couldn't figure out how to use it. Never really tried picking up stuff. Always just killed them with more in your face attacks.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 13th, 2005, 12:47:56 PM
Zyon came over and we beat it together. ^_^;

:D can't wait to play it again!

Zyon Rouge
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:24:21 PM
Haven't seen the Xtreme Costumes yet, so those might be pretty cool. But yeah, playing it again should be fun.

Rognan Dar
Feb 13th, 2005, 10:38:57 PM
See? I told you that its easyer with two. Not to mention a little more fun as well.