PDA

View Full Version : Bestine: Talk of War (Complete)

Alexi Hesith
Oct 25th, 2004, 02:55:57 AM
The corridors of the New Republic Senate were alive with the electric tingle of anticipation. Barely a week ago these same corridors had been silent, the senators departed for their holidays and those who remained eagerly anticipating their own departure.

Now it was very different. Aides hurried to and fro, senators met in briefing rooms to talk in whispers and the senior officers of the armed forces were to be found pacing the corridors in serious discussion. Something was up and the media demanded answers. But no-one was giving any, which was the most alarming thing of all.

Those few who did know what had happened to summon the senators back to Coruscant were, it seemed, gagged. They refused to talk and their aides, always a good source of information, were also silent. All that could be gleaned was that a week ago something had happened elsewhere. Two days ago something had happened here. (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36526) That was it.

So it was hardly surprising that the media were out in force today. The senators had been called to an emergency session and as they filed into the building, the reporters yelled questions at them.

"Senator tell us why you have been called back!"

"Could you comment on what is happening?"

"Who called the session?"

Alexi Hesith moved through the scrum, occasionally shouting "No comment!" but mostly remaining silent as his bodyguards cleared a path for him.

"Is it true this meeting is to order an attack on the Imperial Sovereignty?"

Hesith paused at the top of the steps, a flash of worry running through his mind. Could they know? Had somebody leaked it?

"No comment," he called once more and headed inside.

Senator Lorain
Oct 25th, 2004, 03:25:52 PM
As the Senator from Contruum entered the chamber, his face was expressionless. This was not one of his proudest days. Voting on war is never the best time to be a senator, especially for someone like Max Lorain. Someone who was a veteran of war and had no liking for it. He was a warrior through and through and as such, knew what a cruel heartless place the field of battle could be.

Taking his seat, he couldn't get the thoughts of sending young men to die out of his head. He knew it was the right thing to do and it was the last resort. It wasn't really his fault at all, he thought, the imperials had forced this upon the New Republic and now it was time to put a stop to them. Bestine would be contested for and the Imperials will pay dearly, but NR blood had already been shed and would continue to be shed until they were repelled.

Before this gathering, Max had holoed Contruum and had talked to people and representives there to get their feel on the situation. Everyone of the districts on the planet had pledged their support in his decision and was greatful that his homeworld was with him. Max sighed as he got comfortable and watched as the security kept the press out of the room. Leaning back he awaited for the beginning of the senate.

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 27th, 2004, 08:10:06 AM
Admiral Lion El' Jonson made his way through the crowd, his head down and flanked by a pair of imposing intelligence agents and two Noghri bodguards. Occasionally, when a reporter got too pushy, Kharatakh or Batahr would slip away and 'subdue' him. Cypher and Rayne walked beside him, not saying anything. He strode up the stairs rather quickly, anxious to get away from the crowd. Just as he mounted the tenth step, somebody seemed to recognize him, and the reporters surged towards him. Abandoning all pretense of dignity, Lion sprinted for the security checkpoint, flashing his ID at the guards flanking the door and slipping in just a second after his bodyguards.

Wiping his brow in relief, Lion stepped into a turbolift and rode it up to the observation level. Though not a member of the Senate, he had been invited to observe the proceedings. The numerous observation booths in the Grand Senate Chamber were situated behind thick sheets of one-way transparisteel, surrounded by privacy screens and outfitted with datalinks to the Central Coruscant Library. The observation booths allowed citizens, such as lobbyists or military officers, to observe the proceedings if need be.

Lion took his seat and looked down at the Senate Chamber as it gradually filled with representatives from thousands of planets. On Lion's right, Cypher pulled a datapad towards him and began accessing data. Rayne started speaking into her private comlink, while the two Noghri took up positions near the door. Lion sighed and folded his hands in his lap, anxious for the Senate to begin.

Senator Thareena
Oct 27th, 2004, 05:43:31 PM
Thareena was in her office again. No, actually, she was in her office, still. Senators had been recalled from their home systems due to an emergency vote, and the last one had finally trickled in system. Those that were too far away to make it in time were joining via holocomm in a few minutes.

Senator Thareena eyed her bags that were sitting on the floor by the door to the anteroom. She was ready to return to Chandrila as soon as this vote was over. She already knew how she wanted this to go. It would be easier to poke the Republic in the direction of Corellia if they had a recent battle under their belts. Bestine was rather remote... but the Corellian system was part of the Core!

How much easier to paint a case for the enemy at your doorstep when it had already been justified to attack the enemy at the back fence.

Brushing the thoughts from her mind, Fa'un gathered up her long white robes with her hands as she got up from behind her desk. Her aides joined her as she made her way towards the Senate chambers.

Towards the vote, and hopefully, to war.

Alexi Hesith
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:27:33 AM
A buzzer sounded through out the Senate complex, indicating that it was time for the session to begin. It was hardly necessary to sound it though because the Senators had already entered the Chamber. Speaker Belkis, the Senate's presiding officer under normal circumstances, noted this before turning to look up at the Chief of State.

Nearing her eightieth year, Madam Chief of State rarely presided over the Senate. It was a mark of the importance of this matter that she was here. She raised one grey eyebrow at Belkis, who inclined his head. With that the gavel was sounded.

"The Senate shall come to order," intoned the Chief of State, her voice ringing out through the chamber with the aid of a million carefully positioned speakers. "The first item of business is the Report of the Defence Committee. The Chair calls Senator Teem of Malastare, chairbeing of the committee, to present the report."

Alexi Hesith
Jan 10th, 2005, 03:19:44 AM
The Gran Senator rose to his feet, three eyes scanning the booths of his colleagues as his own floated out into the Rotunda. He saw enemies around him- he also saw friends. So much the better for what he was to propose.

"Senators," Teem intoned in slightly accented basic, "Yesterday at oh-nine hundred hours the Senate Committe for Defence met in session for three hours. During this time they heard testamony from Admiral Lion El'Jonson of the New Republic Fleet Command.

"Admiral El'Jonson reported on a situation of which most of you are now aware: the New Republic has been attacked."

The assembled senators nodded at this. Several of them contrived to look saddened by this "news" as they knew the events were being recorded for the Senate archives and would likely be played on NewsNet at a later date.

"This attack has come from the oldest and most constant of our ememies: the Imperial Sovereignty. They have struck the world of Bestine IV on our border with that faction in a brutal and cold blooded fashion."

Murmurs of agreement met this statement.

"Without warning, without provocation and without mercy they have attacked one of our own. They have placed that world under blockade and, even as I speak, seek to destroy the last remnants of democracy and justice."

Another murmur of approval.

"Senators, this cannot be tolerated! The committee is in agreement on this. We must take action, now, to aleviate the suffering of the people of Bestine IV and to punish our enemies for what they have done.

"Admiral El'Jonson presented a plan formulated by his staff that will achieve this end. It has received full scrutiny from the Committee and we present it to you for your approval. Thank you, Madam Chief of State."

The Senator keyed a switch that sent his report to his fellow delegates and top the Chair. Then he took he commanded his booth to return to its place in the Rotunda wall.

"Will the Senate accept the report of the Defence Committee without objection?" asked the Chief of State.

Nobody spoke.

"Very well without objection the report of the Defence Committee is accepted. Let it be entered into the record.

"Will the Senate accept the recommendation of the Defence Commitee- towhit that the Senate discuss the plan presented by Admiral El'Jonson for the relief of Bestine IV- without objection?"

Once more silence reigned.

"Without objection the recommendation is accepted. There will be a five minute recess in which Senators may review the plan. The Official Secrets Act applies as does Storf's Rule."

Everyone knew what that meant. No discussion outside those the report had been circulated and nobody to leave the Chamber. Under those restrictions the Senators began to read as qucikly as they could manage...

Senator Lorain
Jan 10th, 2005, 03:02:56 PM
Senator Lorain listen to the talk and just nodded. He knew everything that was being said since he had been in the meeting that proposed the plan in the first place. As the rest of the senators read the plan, Max looked around and leaned back in his seat. Inside he knew that this would get passed

Soon the New Republic will be in another war and more people would sacrifice their lives for what they believed was a just and right cause. This had to be done and the Imperials had to be stood up against. All those people knew was force. Words alone had never been very persausive with them. The Senator knew that the Republic military would gear up quickly and companies all over the New Republic will start producing war goods and ships will start to depart dry docks.

While he didn't want to think about it, war could be a good thing as well. Production will need to be increased and that ment more jobs would open up and unemployment would start to decrease. Patriatism would also be on the rise and the whole military would grow larger and larger as more and more people enlisted to fight against the common enemy. Pety agruements will be put aside and worlds would come together, if even for a short period of time, to concentrate on the task at hand and to help out the Republic.

It didn't take long for the allowed time to elapse and Senator Lorain already knew how he was voting.

Alexi Hesith
Jan 17th, 2005, 03:59:47 PM
The gavel sounded, magicinfied a thousand times by the souund system built into the Senate Chamber.

"Order. Order," called the Chief of State, her dry commanding voice bringing the Senator's attention back to her. "The allotted time has elapsed. We will now move to debate the matter before us. The Chair calls upon Senator..."

Senator Thareena
Jan 20th, 2005, 03:41:57 PM
"...upon Senator Ganta of Duros."

The Durosian senator, with her large bald pated head, green skin, and luminous yellow eyes, was short enough that she had a small stool built into her booth so she could reach the mic. Thareena made sure her translator plug was securely in her ear for the translation.

"Upon review it appears to this senator that a large offensive group will be diverted from sector fleets. How do we know that our other systems will be safe from a secondary attack?"

Alexi Hesith
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:45:43 AM
Senator Teem rose at the invitation of the chair to address that concern.

"We cannot know this. I am assured by the Fleet Command that every effort will be made to ensure that the diversion of forces does not unduly weaken the defences elsewhere. I refer the honourable Senator to section twelve of the report which details the proposed source of forces."

Another Senator, this one from Anaxes, rose to his feet. "Is the honourable delegate from Duros unduly concerned with the safety of her own system?"

This provoked jeers from some and murmurs of support from others. The Senator continued, "We must do what we can to liberate Bestine IV. It is in our best interests to defend each other."

Senator Thareena
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:25:44 PM
Tik'la Ganta did not blush, but she did manage to look slightly uncomfortable before she sat back down. Thareena felt like yawning, but stifled the urge, knowing that there might be a camera trained on her this very moment... not from GNN or any other holonews network, but from her fellow senators.

Another senator stood up, one she couldn't quite place. He looked human though. "It is in our best interests to defend each other, and we cannot allow the so-called Sovereignty this foothold into New Republic space. I move we go onward to vote on this proposal!"

Some people clapped, others stood up, shouting concerns. Microphones were muted, but the din caused Thareena to plug up her ears. The gavel sounded, and then again, as the Chief of State demanded order from her senators.

"We will vote in due time, Senator Chase. Please take your seat, we have heard your opinion." Her old eyes looked over the chamber, and she nodded as someone got her attention. "The Chair recognizes Senator..."

Alexi Hesith
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:15:23 AM
"...Hesith of Gall."

Hesith's booth floated out into the Rotunda, the aging Senator casting a look around the Chamber. A few in the Chamber groaned (behind muted mics of course). Hesith was not given to brevity in his speech.

"Senators, I grieve for Bestine. It is a tragedy that one of our own has been struck by the same blight that we thought we had rid ourselves of so many years ago. But I must urge you to think!

"These are dangerous times. The Galaxy is an uncertain place and, as has been said already, we cannot offer guarantees. Yes we must seek the liberation of Bestine. Yes we must stand by our fellows as we are bound to do so by our Constitution, our Charter and our ideology. But to do so rashly is to invite disaster.

"I implore this noble assemblage to use its capacity for reason. Do not be blinded by the tragedy that has struck us so suddenly and choose the course dictated by just anger. Choose the course dictated by reason. We must give detailed consideration to this plan before approving it."

Senator Lorain
Jan 29th, 2005, 07:40:39 PM
"How can you say that Senator!?" Came a shout from one of the stations.

"The floor recognizes Senator He'toris of Golanlin." Said the anouncer quickly.

"My planet is on the front line of this Imperial Assault. We are neighbors with Bestine and you dare leave the Imperial forces unchallanged. I know we are not as important to the New Republic as the major Core and Mid Rim planet, but you are responsible for our protection." The Humanoid Senator looked down for a moment and then back up.

"We much act now. I urge everyone to pass this resolution so that we can show the Imperials they can not just attack us and not be fought against. An attack on one planet should like an attack on the Republic as a whole. We much push them back and help the people on Bestine. If we even attack to late, they will have more forces in the region, that means more of our soldiers and sailors will have to die.

"Pass this now and let us take back what is rightfully ours. We can show the galaxy the might of the New Republic and that we do not allow this sort of action against us. Even after the Imperials attacked, there has been no increase in the defense forces of my planet or even the sector as a whole. Is the New Republic just giving it up? I hope not for the sake of all the other small worlds in the Republic."

Senator Thareena
Feb 10th, 2005, 09:07:07 PM
"Thank you Senator He'toris." The chairwoman looked around the room, and nodded to Chandrila's booth. "The chair recognizes Senator Thareena of Chandrila."

Fa'un stood, and addressed the gathering. "We cannot allow an attack on New Republic space to go unpunished, or un-avenged. If we do not move to protect the citizens of the Bestine system, we may risk losing all that our predecessors fought and died for during the war against the Empire.

"I agree with my collegue from Golanlin - we must not be confused as to where our loyalties lie. If you are concerned only for the Core, we will lose the Outer Rim, and once the Imperials start moving inward... do you really think they will stop?"

Alexi Hesith
Feb 11th, 2005, 03:15:56 AM
Hesith was surprised by Thareena. Normally she did not go in for scare mongering of this sort. He was back on his feet in a flash.

"Madam Chief of State: Rebutal!" he boomed.

Organa-Solo looked across at the Gallish Senator, "Senator Hesith asks for rebutal. It is granted."

"My colleagues misunderstand me," he said with a light smile that faded before he continued to speak, "Senators, I am not suggesting that we abandon Bestine IV to the Imperials, simply that we think carefuly before we commit ourselves, and the Republic, to any course of action. Is it not our duty to exercise our judgement as well as articulate the wishes of the people? I ask you to do that duty now. Take the time we have to assure ourselves that this is the correct course to follow in helping Bestine."

This little speech received a mixed response.

Lion El' Jonson
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:04:17 AM
Lion's booth finally moved away from the wall.

Organa-Solo nodded at Lion. "The chair recognizes Admiral El' Jonson, New Republic Naval Liason to the Senate."

Lion stood, smoothing the creases in his uniform as he did so. "Honored Senators, I can understand your concerns, but I assure you that we've tried to take every possibility into consideration while planning this assault. Ideally, I'd have liked the New Republic to go in with a far larger force; however, given our time constraints, that is not an option." He paused to pick up a sheaf of flimsiplast. "If you will examine document A6-B, however, you will notice that the vast majority of these forces were pulled from our active fleets, not from planetary defense forces. I assure you that a proper defensive posture is being maintained around the New Republic."

He called up another report on his monitor. "In fact, I was informed by commanders at the Sluis Van Sector Base that they could deploy an additional 30 Capital Ships to strengthen our defenses in sectors near Bestine. My strategic staff is currently addressing the question of where to place these ships to have the maximum effect."

That would probably ruffle a few feathers. Doubtless the Senators would be lobbying to have some of those ships assigned to their world.

“If we had the time, I would never even dream of going in with such a small force. However, Major General Corbec, Commander of the 8th Army, has told me it would take at least three weeks to mobilize the Mighty 8th for deployment on Bestine. Imagine what the Sovereignty could do with 3 weeks. You have seen the efficiency of military engineers in several conflicts: If we wait to mobilize a force as large as the 8th, the ensuing fight will literally be like the tides against a durasteel wall. I have no doubt that we’d run into planetary turbolasers, concussion missile barrages, minefields…basically, a soldier’s nightmare. The plan my general staff and I have put forward represents our best chance to knock out the Sovereignty before it is able to cement its hold on Bestine’s major cities, and therefore I urge you to approve this operation.”

Lion bowed (slightly), and nodded to the Speaker. His booth began to retract backwards, and a bit of murmuring swept throughout the Senate.

Senator Thareena
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:25:18 PM
A red faced senator exploded, "The General is right, the longer we wait, the worse it will be for us when we have to get the Imperials out of the Bestine system. If they get any more intrenched it will take a much larger force than the Navy suggests they need now.

"We can send in the proposed fleet immediately, and muster re-inforcements to follow as soon as we can!"

Alexi Hesith
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:28:36 AM
Clearly Hesith's noble speech had done little to temper the passions of the Chamber. Why in the worlds did the Chief of State have to call on El'Jonson of all people?

Another Senator was on his feet, "The Esselen Delegation concurs with our honourable colleague from Lexar, we must act now. Further delay will only cost lives." With a bow to the Chair he was finished.

"The Chair recognises Senator Ki'Ta of Cerea."

"Regrettable though it is to say, we must act now. The Senators are correct, delay will cost lives." The tower headed Cerean resumed her seat without another word.

Hesith noticed Senator Garixx, a member of the Defence Committee had risen to his feet. If he was called he'd move for a vote.

Across the Chamber an idealistic Senator from the Outer Rim was swimming against the tide.

"The proposal must be scrutinised properly. We must," the jeers of a number of the more militant Senators threatened to drown him out, "We must do our best to ensure," the jeers grew in volume stopping the Senator in his tracks.

The gavel did nothing to quieten them and it was not exacatly clear where it was coming from. "Order, Order!" barked the Chief of State. It did nothing.

"We must do our best...we have to..." the Senator persevered. But it was no good. With a look of resignation he slumped into his seat.

"The Chair recognises..."

Senator Thareena
Feb 18th, 2005, 01:20:18 PM
"...Senator Koy'la from Bothawui."

The hubbub of the Chamber settled momentarily, as no one had expected the Bothawui delegation to enter into the debate. The tall, furred Bothan spoke quickly, before the noise level went back up. A few senators were still verbally sparring on the far side of the room.

Koy'la's creamy fur rippled with annoyance, and he pushed his long face towards his microphone. "This bickering is pointless, I move that we vote."

And then he sat back down, his fur smoothing out in what might have been called contentment.

Alexi Hesith
Feb 20th, 2005, 07:59:25 AM
Garrix was there like a flash, "Second!"

The Chief of State rose to address the Senate, her voice carried to every corner of the Chmaber by the sound system. Their amplification was unnecessary as the Senators had fallen deathly silent.

"It has been moved and seconded that the Senate Vote. The vote is upon the motion that the Senate should authorise the allocation of forces and funds to the relief of Bestine IV, as detailed in the proposal of the High Command presented by Senator Teem of Malastare. Those in favour shall vote 'Aye' those not in favour shall vote 'Nay'. Vote shall be by role call, in accordance with Senate Rule 122-A. The Clerk shall read the role."

Senator Thareena
Feb 20th, 2005, 06:16:38 PM
Thareena shifted in her seat as the Clerk stood up and smoothed his official robe. There was a click as he set the datapad down that contained the list of systems and planets represented in the New Republic Senate, and then he began to read off the names in a loud, clear voice.

"Aarchim."

"Aye." The senator barked out his vote, and sat back, satisfied.

The Clerk cleared his throat, and continued on. "Abregado-Rae"

"Aye."

"Adumar."

"Nay."

"Agamar."

"Aye."

Thareena was glad she didn't have to keep track of the vote herself, as it was all being recorded and transmitted to each of the Senator's booths. A list in front of her was constantly updating as the Clerk's voice droned on and the votes were sounded.

"Aleen."

"Aye."

"Almania."

"Nay."

"Alzoc III."

"Aye."

"Ambria."

"Aye."

"Ammuud."

"Aye."

"Andat."

"Nay."

"Ando."

"Nay!"

"Anorbis."

"Nay."

"Anoth."

"Aye."

"Ansion."

"Aye."

"Antar."

"Aye."

"Aquaris."

"Nay."

"Arbra."

"Aye."

"Aridus"

"Nay."

"Arkania."

"Aye."

"Atzerr."

"Aye."

"Bandomeer."

"Aye."

"Barab I."

The huge, scaled senator from Barab I stood to his microphone, "This one says aye."

"Belderone."

"Nay."

"Belkadan."

"Nay."

"Bestine."

The senator from Bestine, a refugee now that her home planet had been overrun, looked pale and like she hadn't slept well in weeks. "I vote aye." She remained standing a moment, as though trying to make eye contact with everyone in the room.

The Clerk raised an eyebrow, but continued with the role. "Bilbringi."

"Aye."

"Bimmiel."

"Nay."

"Bimmisaari."

"Aye."

"Bonadan."

"Aye."

"Borleias."

"Aye."

"Bothawui."

Koy'las' fur was rippling with some emotion Thareena couldn't pinpoint, but his voice was clear. "Nay."

"Brentaal."

"Aye."

"Byss."

"Nay."

"Caamas."

"Aye."

"Chandrilla."

Thareena stood, "Aye." She sat back down, accepting the glass of water Toni handed her.

"Clak'dor VII."

Senator Kensington of the Security Committee muttered his vote, and had to repeat it for the microphone. "Aye."

"Commenor."

"Aye."

"Corulag."

"Aye."

"Csilla."

"Nay."

"Dellalt."

"Nay."

"Dorin."

"Aye."

"Druckenwell."

"Aye."

"Duros."

Tik'la Ganta managed the word in Basic, "Nay."

"Eden."

"Aye." The Garou senator was usually much more long winded, and it was a relief when she said nothing more.

"Elom."

"Nay."

"Er'kit."

"Aye."

"Esseles."

"Aye."

"Etti IV."

"Nay."

"Firrere"

"Nay."

"Fondor."

"Aye."

"Froz."

"Aye."

Alexi Hesith
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:52:58 PM
And the votes kept coming. Already a concensus seemed to have formed when the clerk called out, "Gall."

Hesith rose. He suspected that his vote would do nothing to change the result but he would make his stand anyway. "Nay", he intoned in his ringing voice.

Then the clerk moved on

"Garos IV"

"Aye"

"Garqi"

"Aye"

"Gyndine"

"Nay"

"Helska 4"

"Nay"

"Iktotch"

"For Iktotch, Aye."

"Ithor"

The Ithorian Senator spoke his vote with the usual strange stereo effect of his race. "Nay-y."

"Jumus"

"Aye"

"Kalarba"

"Aye"

"Kamino"

"Kamino votes Nay"

"Kegan"

"Aye"

"Khomm"

"Aye"

"Kile II" Hesith watched the Senator from Gall's closest neighbour step up to speak. The answer was surprising.

"Nay"

"Klatooine"

"Aye"

"Kothlis"

The other Bothan delegate rose and, with a pointed look at his fellow Bothan voted, "Aye."

"Kowak"

"Aye"

The Kauti vote was a forgone conclusion, "Aye"

"Kubindi"

"Nay"

"Lianna"

"Aye"

"Malastare"

Teem's vote was the expected, "Aye."

"Melida/Daan"

"Aye"

"M'haeli"

"Aye"

"Mimban"

"Aye"

"Mon Calamari"

The Calamari vote was delivered with that familar lisping gurgle, "Aye."

"Moonus Mandel"

"Nay"

"Morishim"

"Nay"

"Munto Codru"

"Aye"

"Mrlsst"

"Pears" There was a moment of stunned embarrassment. Some Senators actually laughed as the outraged Senator jabbed at her translator unit.

"Order," called the Chief of State. "Senator cast your vote again."

"The vote of is Mrlsst is Aye."

The nervous laughter gone, the Clerk continued the role, "Mytus VII"

"Aye"

"Naboo"

"Sadly, Aye"

"Nam Chorios"

"Aye"

"New Plympto"

"Aye"

"Nim Drovis"

"Aye"

"Nirauan"

"Aye"

"Nubia"

"Aye"

"Obroa Skai"

"Aye"

"Omwat"

"Aye"

Statisticans would, in the future, marvel at the odds of all three Ord votes being the same. But at the time votes of Ord Biniir, Ord Mantell and Ord Radamar were just three more for the "Aye" collumn.

"Osarian"

"Aye"

"Ossus" called the Clerk. Hesith saw the idealist from earlier in the debate rise to cast his vote. He, too, it seemed wished to make a stand for he voted "Nay."

"Phindar"

"Aye"

"Phu"

"Aye"

"Ploo"

"Aye"

"Qella"

"For the common good we vote, Aye"

"Quermia"

"Aye"

"Ralltir"

"Nay"

"Reecee"

"Aye"

"Rhinnal"

"Aye"

"Rhommamool"

"Aye"

"Rinn"

"Aye"

"Rishi"

"Aye"

"Rodia"

"Aye"

"Roon"

"Aye"

"Ruuria"

"Nay"

"Ryloth"

"Aye"

"Sacorria"

"Aye"

"Sernpidal"

"Aye"

"Sneeve"

"Nay"

"Sullust"

"Aye"

"Sump"

"Madam Chief of State, Sump abstains."

"Note the abstention of Sump," ordered the Chief of State.

There were murmurs around the Chamber. An abstention meant a dead vote- one that was excluded. Rapid calculations were made to check what a majority would now recquire. AS these were made the voting continued.

"Talfaglio"

"Aye"

"Tammar"

"Aye"

"Tanaab"

"Aye"

"Telos"

"Aye"

"Telti"

"Aye"

"Thisspias"

"Aye"

"Tholatin"

"Aye"

"Toola"

"Aye"

"Toong'l"

"Nay"

"Toprawa"

"Nay"

Toydaria a world viewed as selfish by many chose to vote "Nay."

"Trandosha"

"Aye"

"Triffis"

"Aye"

"Troiken"

"Aye"

"Tund"

"Aye"

"Tynna"

The Senator from Tynna rose, "Madam Chief of State, Tynna abastains."

"Note the abstention of Tynna"

"Umgul"

"Nay"

"Vortex"

"Nay" the fragile avian Senator chirped.

"Vulpter"

"Nay"

"Wayland," called the Clerk, looking across to a booth occupied by a Noghri Dynast.

"Aye"

"Xagobah"

"Aye"

"Yavin"

"Aye"

"Ylix"

"Aye"

"Ziost"

"Aye"

The Clerk of the Senate finished reading the role and, looking somewhat tired by the necessity of reading all one-hundred and forty-one names, turned to face the Chief of State.

"Madam Chief of State the votes have been cast and recorded. The result is as follows.

A collective intake of breath, it was never certiain until the Clerk spoke. It wasn't offciall yet even though most knew the result already.

"One hundred and forty-one Senators present in the Chamber, which is sufficient for a quorum. Of those: two abstained. Thirty Nine voted 'Nay', One Hundred voted 'Aye'."

The Chief of State stood, "I declare that, having attained seven votes in excess of the required two-thirds majority, the Ayes have it."

Lion El' Jonson
Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:22:28 AM
Lion exhaled noisily and slapped Cypher on the back.

"Looks like we've got a fleet to ready." He said quietly. "As soon as this session lets out, we pulse a communique to Admiral Reshmar, Colonel Yamagi, and Captain Scott. We're going to need every second we can get if we're going to pull this off."

Senator Thareena
Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:49:39 PM
Thareena sank back into her seat as the long vote wound down, and finished her glass of water. As the senate dismissed for the day, she quickly gathered up her aides and interns and made her way from the chamber. "We have done it, Toni," she said to the woman at her side. "For better or worse we have moved into open conflict with the Sovereignty." She offered a half smile as they walked through the halls filled with delegates and their entourages.

"At least the Empire is still fractured, and fighting within itself. There is a limit to how much Thyferra can grab for." The Chandrilan delegation made it's way out of the corridors.

Alexi Hesith
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:21:17 PM
Hesith walked disconsolately from the Chamber, his staff in tow. They picked up on his mood and matched it- all of them looked sollemn as they passed through the lobby towards the main doors.

Stepping out into the fading afternoon light, he once again came under concentrated verbal assault from the assembled reporters. he and his staff pushed their way through the crowd.

"Senator!"

"What can you tell..."

"...was the vote on..."

"Senator!"

"What was decided?"

Hesith stopped and turned sharply on his heel to face the journalistic mob. "Gentlebeings, the deliberations of the Senate today were secret. The details will be disclosed by the Chief of State tonight, as you well know. Why don't you give up now? No Senator is going to tell you anything, and if anyone tells you anything about it they are a traitor. Good day."

The reporters were stunned into momentary silence. Alexi Hesith was always so courteous. Yet there he stood telling them, in diplomatic terms, that they ought to frell off. Their silence lasted a bare second before they stared up again.

"Senator, what was..."

"...do you have any comment?"

"...who was..."

Hesith walked away to his airlimo.

Lion El' Jonson
Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:00:05 PM
Lion had exited the building 20 minutes ago, and was now riding inside of an armored airlimo, surrounded by intelligence agents and several senior officers. At the moment, Agent Rhayne was fiddling with a communications console.

"Got it, sir. Encryption Harsk-Esh-Brask-0-9-3 is up and running. We've got a direct connection to the Avatar."

Lion moved in front of the viewscreen. "Vice Admiral Inoue, Operation Bulwark is a go. Relay this message to Vice Admiral Reshmar's flagship and Colonel Yamagi's taskforce. Leave instructions for them to route this to Line Captain Scott, as well. I'll join you aboard the Avatar within three hours."

She nodded. "Will do, Admiral. I assume things at the Senate went smoothely?"

Lion grimaced. "Well...more or less."