PDA

View Full Version : Saw

Droo
Oct 8th, 2004, 07:34:36 PM
Earlier this evening I returned home from the cinema after watching "Saw", a film by fresh new writer and director James Wan. It is a horror film which I believe will breath vital new life into a tired genre full of cliché and tired themes. From what I've read, it being an independent film, has not been released in America yet but when it does I feel it will be riding on the waves of much praise across the board from both fans and critics. Watch out for this film and to quote the pun: "See Saw".

Having no prior knowledge of this film except a spot of praise from a friend of mine who'd already seen it, I stepped into a dark, dark world full of suspense, mystery, chills and gruesomeness. All of which is embodied in a story revolving about an intelligent, motivated serial killer who takes his victims apart in harrowing and brutally macabre ways which has every single member of the audience cringing. The gore, I will stress, while abundant and stomach churning is not in place of plot, suspense or originality.

The style of the picture is very distinct and merges the gritty, turbulant appearance of Jonathan Demme's "Silence of the Lambs" with other genre styles such as the empty, atmospheric feel of "The Hole" to the chaotic and grotesque "Seven". Notice I am not quoting horror films of the kind like "Halloween" or "Scream" because it is important to emphasise that "Saw" is not a run-of-the-mill stalker slasher flick but is instead a fresh and original film which will have you guessing and wincing all the way through until you are blown away by moments of increadible tension coupled with startling revelations which will leave you very pleased and satisfied indeed.

My only complaint about this film is the acting which is occassionally jarring but this minor grievance is insignificant when weighing up all the pros of Wan's independent chiller. I am hardly the type to write up any kind of review after watching a film these days but after being so thoroughly entertained by such a refreshing installment in a tired, old bracket of film I felt the need to share the good news and encourage all to go see this awesome horror flick as soon as possible.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:09:10 PM
I've seen previews, and those were so 'stomach churning' that I wlil not be able to bear this movie. Others: enjoy if you like that sort of stuff. :x It honestly looks about five hundred times as intense than Se7en or Silence of the Lambs.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:35:37 PM
It looks like Seven but like you said LD gorer.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 9th, 2004, 07:10:39 AM
I can't wait to see this! I think I'm going to go around, or better yet on, Halloween with a group of friends :D

Shawn
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:50:35 PM
I just caught a commercial for this during Peacekeeper Wars, and it looks really good. I definitely plan on seeing it, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 19th, 2004, 10:04:57 AM
Oh this was awesome! The plot was just superb. It kept you guessing all the time, constantly throwing in twists and new clues to make you doubt everyone's motivations. The soundtrack was excellent (done by a founding member of Nine Inch Nails, according to Amazon) and the camera work was really engaing (particularly little things like the use of the camera flash to create tension in Adam's apartment). Also, there's really not that much gore. It's not anymore "disgusting" then Se7en, and the gore definetly isn't used to the extent that it becomes a focus of the film, like Dru said. Go see Saw ASAP :D

Shawn
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:11:31 AM
It doesn't come out here until the 29th. :(

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:14:45 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
It looks like Seven but like you said LD gorer.

Never said it looked more gorey, just more intense. That's the stuff that kills me, the intensity of movies.

Well, that and clowns jumping out of closets with hatchets, that does me in too. Or anything crawling out of or appearing in a TV screen. :x

Shawn
Nov 1st, 2004, 11:01:17 PM
I just saw it and I'm really impressed. Close to the end, I was beginning to think it'd wind up being a mediocre movie (large spoilers). As soon as the orderly first showed up in the hospital, I jokingly whispered "It's him" to my friend. When it looked like it really was him, I was disappointed. But it completely redeemed itself. I really liked the various traps Jigsaw set up for his victims. Some were quite creative.

A few lines in the movie were cringe-worthy. And Gordan's wife was a really terrible actress. But that's not where the strength of the movie lay. Saw is easily the best movie I've seen all year.

For the most part, the audience really got into it. Everyone uttered collective gasps at the right moments. When Gordan began to saw through his leg, I could see almost everyone in the audience turn away.

There was one idiot 2 rows in front of me who got 4 - count em, FOUR - phone calls during the movie and answered every single one. After the fourth, during a lull in the movie, I told him to shut the damned thing off, and was greeted by approval from everyone nearby.

Dalamar DeSang
Nov 5th, 2004, 12:43:10 AM
Really, really interesting. That movie will definately leave an impression. Also saw hehehe Stephen Kings new movie Riding the bullet. Just bought the book to that to In Everything Eventual. Didnt like the movie version to much. But hey cant have it all. At least my friend that went with me enjoyed it.

I don't want to say to much about Saw as its got a good plot. Wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone. ;)

Mandy with an I
Nov 5th, 2004, 12:47:17 AM
*See other Saw thread*

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 5th, 2004, 07:39:29 AM
*merged threads*

JMK
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:28:58 AM
Definetly an unsettling movie at times. I enjoyed it because of the effect it had on me and the others in the theater, but man were there ever a ton of things that made zero sense at all.

Telan Desaria
Nov 11th, 2004, 11:05:28 AM
This movie is disgusting and when I happened upon it my new job as a security officer, I was very glad I carry a sidearm, tactical baton, and knife. It shows the pinacle of irresponsibility on the part of the movie community promoting that sort of maniacal filth - - it was sadistic, masochistic and ...wrong.

Were I not a soldier, I might have vomitted.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 11th, 2004, 12:42:06 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Definetly an unsettling movie ... but man were there ever a ton of things that made zero sense at all.
Like the Stepford Wives, am I right?

:D

JMK
Nov 11th, 2004, 01:06:28 PM
I never got to see that one so I can neither confirm nor deny that. ;)

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 11th, 2004, 01:57:56 PM
Oh please! Telan, don't be such a drama queen. :rolleyes

General Dan
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:12:15 PM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
This movie is disgusting and when I happened upon it my new job as a security officer, I was very glad I carry a sidearm, tactical baton, and knife. It shows the pinacle of irresponsibility on the part of the movie community promoting that sort of maniacal filth - - it was sadistic, masochistic and ...wrong.

Were I not a soldier, I might have vomitted.

Germans don't know movies. Germans know beer.

/Becks commercial

Gurney Devries
Nov 11th, 2004, 03:50:04 PM
Shaun of the Dead had more gore. :rolleyes

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 11th, 2004, 04:53:07 PM
Originally posted by JMK
I never got to see that one so I can neither confirm nor deny that. ;)
We just bought it - it's okay if you can turn your brain off.

Telan Desaria
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:24:50 PM
Yes. Beer I know. Beer I know well.

Cognac I know better....

General Dan
Nov 11th, 2004, 10:48:31 PM
I heard that you didn't know beer all that well actually ;)

Telan Desaria
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:01:10 AM
Oh fine. I dont like beer. Blast it Sil....

But the finer things,. Cognac, brandy, sherrie, et al - -I do.

(It would not have sounded right without the beer comment. So sue me)

Daiquiri
Nov 17th, 2004, 02:34:54 AM
I didnt care for this movie, quite frankly. It did have a few good parts in it and I did like the twist at the end. While Ive always liked Carey Elwes, I found his acting to be just that...acting. His performance left much to be desired.

Still want to The Grudge.

Gav Mortis
Nov 17th, 2004, 07:18:06 AM
Get out of my thread! This is a thread for Saw lovers not haters! :cry

Dutchy
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:17:48 PM
Just saw Saw. :)

Really liked it. Great screenplay and creepy atmosphere. Acting wasn't all that, and the movie had some cliches, but the overall experience was compelling, and that's what counts.