PDA

View Full Version : If you had to recommend one book...

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:17:21 AM
... what would it be? If someone asked you to name just one work of fiction that they should read, what would it be? (or: I'm looking for interesting new things to read- give me ideas!) :)

Shawn
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:18:29 AM
George R.R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones".

Cut Thread Here
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mandy with an I
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:36:11 AM
"Filth" by Irvine Welsh, simply for the tape-worm. :)

Darth Viscera
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:51:22 AM
Lord of the Rings

edit~while wearing a pointy hat and speaking Gandalf's lines in an impersonation of ian mckellan's accent.

Adonis
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:08:21 AM
The Mallorean or the Bellgaraid.

Both by David Eddings (And Leigh as well)

Pierce Tondry
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:12:51 AM
Having read both of those, I think the Belgariad is better than the Mallorean. The Mallorean is one of those books that tries to tie up all the points from its predecessor in a neat package, but ends up feeling trite as it does so.

Both are okay reads.

I recently finished Rainbow Six, by Tom Clancy. You are probably not into military fiction, Das, and Rainbow Six is an insanely long book. It is worth the read in parts, though.

Je'gan Olra'en
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:14:03 AM
Maus

ReaperFett
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:12:24 PM
Alias Volume 1 (More follow) (And not based on the TV series btw)
Daredevil: Underboss (More follow)
Fray
Catwoman: Selina's Big Score
Planetary Volume 1 (More follow)
Authority Volume 1 (More follow)

And in a few months, Astonishing X-Men volume 1 :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:29:29 PM
Odd Thomas, by Dean Koontz

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:43:58 PM
Originally posted by Shawn

Cut Thread Here

Good suggestion. I've seen this at our local bookstore and have plans to pick it up in the next few weeks :)

As for one I'd suggest (not sure if series are included in this)

The Dark Tower - Stephen King

Yog
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:45:23 PM
Lord of the Rings

But I suspect you may allready have read it :)

Zeke
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:55:37 PM
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

Khendon Sevon
Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:59:35 PM
Gene Wolfe's Latro in the Mist. I love his books and his short stories are amazing (Strange Travelers is a great collection of his short stories).

Jacen Parami
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:07:12 PM
Lord of the Rings or (if you're up for something a little bit weird) 1984. I just started reading it, and it looks like it could be cool. Its where the concept of "Big Brother is watching" comes from...the grandaddy of the Matrix, Equilibrium, and the book we can blame for 9 weeks a year of watching other people's sad little lives because our own ones suck even more.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:10:08 PM
1984 is one of my favorite books :) you'll enjoy it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:30:57 PM

Cut Thread Here

This is, of course, a no brainer. Read the Song of Ice and Fire series, ASAP.

Darth Viscera
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:31:04 PM
see, if you read Lord of the Rings, you'll know what's going on when Middle Earth Online comes out and we're all prancing about as Galadriel / Arwen clones.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:33:18 PM
I tried to read Lord of the Rings, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it. :|

Darth Viscera
Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:57:39 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I tried to read Lord of the Rings, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it. :|

What was it that turned you off? Eventually the book gets past all the crappy parts about wars and elves and on to the good part, The Bath Song, of which I shall now sing!

*clears throat*

Sing hey! for the bath at close of day
That washes the weary mud away!
A loon is he that will not sing:
O! Water Hot is anoble thing!

O! Sweet is the sound of falling rain.
and the brook that leaps from hill to plain;
but better than rain or rippling streams
is Water Hot that smokes and steams.

O! Water cold we may pour at need
down a thirsty throat and be glad indeed;
but better is Beer, if drink we lack,
and Water Hot poured down the back.

O! Water is fair that leaps on high
in a fountain white beneath the sky;
but never did fountain sound so sweet
as splashing Hot Water with my feet!

And lo! That I have now instilled in you a sense of eagerness and temptation irresistable, you shall have no recourse but to read through the entire trilogy.

Tiberius Anar
Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:51:13 PM
Not exaclty one book- more like three. Six actually...

David Eddings The Elenium and The Tamuli

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:25:47 PM

Lord of the Rings is an accquired taste. You really need to be in the mood and it's not easy to read.

Ragnarok
Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:49:49 PM
The Redemption of Althalus- David & Leigh Eddings.

Eve
Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:50:32 PM
Neuromancer, William Gibson
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
The DaVinci Code, Dan Brown

AND the Harry Potter series (but you may have already read these).

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:07:28 PM
Originally posted by Ragnarok
The Redemption of Althalus- David & Leigh Eddings.

good book :)

Telan Desaria
Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:31:32 PM
Animal Farm, Georg Orwell

World War - - Harry Turltledove

Colonization - Harry Turtledove

Faust

Red Phoenix - Unknown
- This last one is one of my favorites. Though it is something of a b-novel and very unknown, I enjoyed it immensely. It deals with the American Army in 1986 in South Korea. Unbeknownst to the world, Russia/Soviet Union and China have allied themselves to the North and are giving them ungodly quantities of arms. The north strikes south and all hell breaks loose.

Interestingly enough, when tensions mount among the Allies, China abstains from a vote in the UN, leaving Russia and the North alone against the US and a resurrected British Empire.

Peter McCoy
Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:45:03 PM
Despite the emphasise on reccomending just one book, a lot seem to insist more than just that. I'll kinda do what you asked.

If its just one you're after - The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. Sequel to the popular Interview With The Vampire and by far the better of the two in my opinion. It's written in first person from Lestat's point of view and is a thoroughly enjoyable read - its also cool to see some characters from Interview in a slightly different light. Its such a joy to read, and I think Lestat is possibly my favourite literary character EVER! The language is very vibrant and the descriptions lavish and overflowing with detail. Oh hell just read it now no matter what time it is. Break into Warterstones and steal a copy and never put it down until you're finished reading the entire novel. Then read it all over again! :)

If you're thirsty for more (pardon the pun) I suggest 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson - its a very different vampire novel and one of the bets I've ever read. Imagine Resident Evil or 28 Days Later, with just one survivor. Only there are no zombies - but vampires. No expand that globablly - one person on the planet and the rest are vampires. It's brilliant.

Jared Mriad
Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:01:13 PM
Originally posted by Syren Wyssholt
Good suggestion. I've seen this at our local bookstore and have plans to pick it up in the next few weeks :)

As for one I'd suggest (not sure if series are included in this)

The Dark Tower - Stephen King

That's the 7th book's title, you would have to read the other six to understand that.

The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three, The Wastelands, The Wizards Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah and finally, The Dark Tower.

I love this series... :D

Shawn
Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:17:56 PM
I tried to read Lord of the Rings, I really did, but I just couldn't get into it. :| No fault there. It's boring as sin.
Originally posted by Jared Mriad
That's the 7th book's title, you would have to read the other six to understand that.That's also the name of the series.

The Dark Tower series is pretty good. I think the 2nd and 3rd books were the best. The Gunslinger is a bit difficult to follow, at first. King originally wrote it as a series of short stories when he was 19, and then later compiled them all into a short novel. If you can get past the first book, the rest are really good.

If you're looking for a bit of Sci-Fi, I'd go with C.S. Friedman's This Alien Shore. Friedman has a talent for crafting a unique mythos in her novels, and this is no exception. "The Coldfire Trilogy", also by her, is the second best Fantasy series I've read. Right after Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". The first book is Black Sun Rising.

Ryan Pode
Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:27:51 PM
Belgarath the Sorceror. David and Leigh Eddings.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:18:48 PM
Dune - Frank Herbert

Originally posted by Eve
Neuromancer, William Gibson
Deltron 3030 by Del tha Funkee Homosapien
Yo its three thousand thirty,
I want yall to meet deltron zero, hero, not no small feat
its all heat in this day and age,
i rage your grave,
anything it takes to save the day
nueromancer, perfect blend of technology and magic
use my rappin so you all could see the hazards
plus entertainment where many are brainless
we cultivated the lost art of study and i brought a buddy
automator harder slayer fascinating combinations
cyber warlords are activating abominations
arm a nation with hatred we ain't with that
we high-tech archeologists searching for nicknacks
composing musical stimpacks the song
crack the motor what you think you rappin for?
I used to be a mech soldier but I didn't respect orders
I had to step forward, tell them this ain't for us
living in a post-apocalyptic world morbid and horrid
the secrets of the past they horded
now we just borded on a futuristic spacecraft
no mistakes black its our music we must take back

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:19:48 PM
Originally posted by Zeke
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
oddly found that the other day when I was at the bookstore...

ReaperFett
Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:54:26 PM
Originally posted by Je'gan Olra'en
Maus

Is that the Graphic Novel about mice in the Holocaust or similar? I hear good things about that, need to find it myself.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:38:25 PM
where's the love for Terry Prachett?

Charley
Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:05:31 PM
The Dark Tower series is pretty good.

This was going to be my answer. The Gunslinger is one hell of a fun book.

Mitch
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:24:54 PM
Tied between <u>Dune</u> by Frank Herbert, and Redwall by Brian Jacques.

James Prent
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:33:22 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
where's the love for Terry Prachett?

Everything ever written by Terry Pratchett is a no brainer as WELL, but if you know Jenny, you know she's already read them all. :)

Selinica Miriya
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:34:15 PM
I'd recommend anything by Michael Slade ( That is, if you like a good psycho-thriller).

By Michael Slade:

HEADHUNTER
GHOUL
CUTTHROAT
RIPPER
EVIL EYE
PRIMAL SCREAM
BURNT BONES
HANGMAN
DEATH'S DOOR
BED OF NAILS

Headhunter was the first one I read, around the age of ten. Godawful LOVELY stuff!!!

And then there's Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. I read the first book, The First Man In Rome for my senior novel project in high school (It's somewhere around 900 pages. Loved every moment.) while everyone else was reading these little 350 page things. I was finished mine before they were halfway through theirs. I've read that book about 3 times since.

As for the Lord of the Rings...i've always loved it. I still have the same set of books i've had since I first read it at the age of six. Yes, I understood it. And i've read the Simarillion, which is more or less the LOTR bible. It's very informative, if you can finish it without ditching it 1/4 of the way through.

And last, but not least, Ann-Marie Macdonald's Fall on Your Knees.

I could recommend more stuff, but i'd never stop talking.

So that's it, for now.

PS - DUNE IS MY ALL-TIME FAVE. FRANK HERBERT IS ....WOW.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:08:08 AM
Unsuprisingly, a lot of these books I've alraedy read (The Vampire Lestat, The Dark Tower series, Animal Farm) - we all have such similar tastes ;)

Originally posted by James Prent
Everything ever written by Terry Pratchett is a no brainer as WELL, but if you know Jenny, you know she's already read them all. :)

well, not all of them ^_^; ... yet

Shawn
Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:16:01 AM
Great. that eliminates most of the competition. :) Now, get to reading A Game of Thrones.

Darth Viscera
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:16:27 AM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
World War - - Harry Turltledove

Colonization - Harry Turtledove

*emphatic cough*

Yog
Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:21:44 AM
I still recommend you go back and give LOTR another try. Maybe try not to dwell on to many details, and just skim read until you get sucked into it like a magnet. Its quite immersive and addictive once it pulls you in.

Apart from LOTR, maybe try some Stephen King novels. Pretty exciting stuff :)

Syren Wyssholt
Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:51:34 AM
Originally posted by Jared Mriad
That's the 7th book's title, you would have to read the other six to understand that.

I love this series... :D

This series is my all-time favorite ever! I know its the title of the 7th book. I just forgot to add Series at the end of the suggestion :\ I was tired from work :rolleyes

For those who do end up diving into this series by SK, read Eyes of the Dragon first. know SK has stated it numerous times in the past that Eyes of the Dragon isn't part of the Dark Tower series, read it first anyways. The way this book ties into the series is pretty neat.

Darth McBain
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:06:43 AM
Dark Tower series rocks...

Hmm, my two favorites for a while have been "Crime and Punishment" and "Les Miserables". Les Mis is really long, but it is way worth the effort IMHO.

Shawn
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:20:43 AM
Originally posted by Syren Wyssholt
For those who do end up diving into this series by SK, read Eyes of the Dragon first. know SK has stated it numerous times in the past that Eyes of the Dragon isn't part of the Dark Tower series, read it first anyways. The way this book ties into the series is pretty neat. As I'm sure you know, King has managed to tie-in almost all of his novels into the Dark Tower series. It's something of a hub for all of his stories. I think Insomnia ties in the strongest, but you'll see several references to everything from The Stand, to IT, to Desperation.

I wasn't overly enthused about book 4, as it was basically one (very) long flashback. Similarly, book 5 was primarily a side-story. The amount of plot that was moved forward could have been fit into 100 pages. Book 6 definitely picked the pace up again, however.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:27:55 AM
I'm reading book 4 now, and I'm finding it far less interesting than the previous three. They got progressively more engrossing up until now, and I've actually been putting off reading any further for some time now - as opposed to with the first three, which I was having difficulty putting down.

Jacen Parami
Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:43:24 AM
I dunno what anyone things of this, but I got sucked into the Sabriel trilogy by Garath Nix - Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. I'm off to pick up Abhorsen from the book shop tomorrow. However, I got Lirael for christmas, and finished it by lunch on boxing day...I literally couldn't put it down. And there were still presents to unwrap when I started!!

Cardinal Aiyalin
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:49:40 PM
Ok, can't pick one..

All books by David Eddings are worth reading -- from the Belgariad, to the Tamuli, to Redemption of Althalus..

The Wheel of Time series (by Robert Jordan) was excellent up until book 7 (book 11 should be coming out around Jan).. book 9 was pretty good, books 8 and 10 were simply mediocre at best... However, I have high hopes for the next book (called the Knife of Dreams, I believe)...

And the Harry Potter series. I really was amazed at how well written it is.. and though Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets had a more juvenile tone of voice, it becomes decidedly adult-focused starting in Prisoner of Azkaban. The best, by far, is the Order of the Phoenix.

Zasz Grimm
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:25:39 PM
The Four Lords of the Diamond
The Deathgate Cycle
Enders Game

I've heard that those series, and books were excellent. I only got to read part of the Deathgate cycle- put it was absolutely wonderful. Lord of the diamond I havent read, nor Enders game- however my friend and former coworker, David, said they were awesome fantasy books- and we had ALOT of things in common, so I more than trusted him.

You've got Anne Rice's stuff covered, so I don't need to mention that. And like Shawn said, don't worry about LOTR...I never got past the first chapter I was so bored with it.

Also, inserting a shameless fanboy plug for Dragonlance. I think it's an awesome series. I'd start with the Chronicles collection, and move on to the Legends collection...

(Chronicles) Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning.

(Legends) Time Of Twins, War of Twins, and Test of Twins

are the order of those. If you read those and like them- I can get you the other titles of hte books I have read (and own) that are in the same relative time frame, dealing with the same characters -and- written by the same authors.

Number 62
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:39:19 PM
Though they have been said, 1984 and Animal Farm are both great books.

Shawn
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:18:05 PM
Originally posted by Cardinal Aiyalin
The Wheel of Time series (by Robert Jordan) was excellent up until book 7 (book 11 should be coming out around Jan).. book 9 was pretty good, books 8 and 10 were simply mediocre at best... However, I have high hopes for the next book (called the Knife of Dreams, I believe)... Here, allow me to save you the trouble of reading any of the WoT books by summarizing them with MSPaint:

http://img63.exs.cx/img63/5021/wot1.png
http://img63.exs.cx/img63/9176/wot2.png
http://img63.exs.cx/img63/8207/wot3.png
http://img55.exs.cx/img55/112/wot4.png
http://img55.exs.cx/img55/3402/wot5.png

You probably can apply that to the next book in the series, as well.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:01:35 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarr Koon
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:09:19 AM
ROFL @ painting. So true...

I don't know if this has been said...but here it is: The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. Hell, read any of the Shannara books by him. They all are awesome!

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:27:42 AM
:: rewind ::

Who the hell recommended Anne Rice books? They're not even good to be used for toilet paper.

I tend to think of books on scale like this -

King (Easy) <-------> Tolkein (Difficult)

Stephen King isnt an artist as per say, but his books are entertaining and easy to read. I'd say he caters to a more casual reader. IMO, the book with real depth is The Stand, which is I think his best by some margin. Make sure you get the Authors version, it's considerably bigger and better. I prefer his earlier writing myself and I havent picked up the dark Tower series as yet, although I'm about to. I also like Christine..

Tolkein isnt boring or dry - it's more you have to unerstand that he was an artist with languages and didnt compromise to readability. The Lord of the Rings you just cant force yourself to read and not everyone is capable of reading it - that's an important fact. Anyone can read a King novel. Not everyone can read Tolkein. You not reading a novelist, your reading the work of the Professor of Anglo Saxon of Oxford, the authority on the English Language.

It has a far greater depth than most realise and is justifiably one of the 20th century's greastest books. The Silmarillion is a censored bastard to read. It however is even more depth filled and frankly it puts the LOTR into a different light and understanding. But it is depressing, because you understand why Galadrial says the Elves are fighting the long defeat. It's not a book to cheer yourself up with.

Dune, Children of Dune and Dune Messiah have gotten a lot of use with me, especially Dune. Depth, readability, plot and character. God Emperor of Dune and Chapter House dune were half hearted IMO. Dont bother with anythign else.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is one of the best satire books you can find.

Some of Tom Clancy's early novels are really good too.

I really got to catch up on my reading, I havent sat down and consumed the written word for a very long time.

Mitch
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:35:13 AM
I'll also suggest anything at all by Robert E. Howaed, *THE* creator of the sword and sorcery/fantasy genre.

He created both Conan the Cimmerian, as well as Solomon Kane, a grim Puritan swordsman with a nasty side. His character has a LOT of depth, and his writing is simply incredible. Tolkein credited Howard a lot for his ideas and foresight into seeing what the fantasy genre could be.

Shawn
Sep 24th, 2004, 01:03:46 AM
The thing about Tolkein is that I don't necessarily think he was a good author. Or, more specifically, not a good storyteller.

He crafted an entire world. I'm not just saying he made a few throwaway references to some other races; Every single one of his races have a language, a culture, and a history. His world is probably more rich than any other fictional setting you'll find. That's the strength of his novel(s).

However, there's something to be said for readability. The ability to write something that anyone can pick up and enjoy is a true talent. It's not just about having a good story to tell, it's about how you tell it. In that regard, I feel that's Tolkein's greatest weakness. The writing itself was overwrought and often meandering. He wrote out his stories like a thesis paper. I can still appreciate the amazing, ground-breaking work he put forth with them, but by no means do I enjoy reading his prose.

It takes a great talent to tell your story in a way that's easy to grasp and engaging. It's a balance between style and substance. While the LOTR trilogy had substance in abundance, there is no flair in the way it tells it. While it's possible to look past this and still enjoy it for the content beneath, it makes it much more difficult.

Cyrel Annat
Sep 24th, 2004, 02:13:53 AM
Might as well toss my two cents into this thread from my own personal preference of reading, though I'm sure there will be those that disagree. As was previously stated, the DragonLance Chronicles. Along with that, the Soulforge also by Margaret Weis. I, Strahd by P.N. Elrod; Knight of the Black Rose and Specter of the Black Rose both by James Lowder are also good reads, IMO.

Anything by Ed Greenwood for the Forgotten Realms setting, especially those stories centering around Elminster are enjoyable. Then again, I read books purely for enjoyment and these that I've listed have provided that multiple times.

Darth Viscera
Sep 24th, 2004, 02:33:08 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
I tend to think of books on scale like this -

King (Easy) <-------> Tolkein (Difficult)

Where would you put Tom Clancy on that scale? I was able to read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion in between classes at college no problem, but I just can't trudge through Tom Clancy. With Tolkien, I'd just visualise it happening in the movie. This was after FOTR came out and before TTT did, so I wanted to know what I could look forward to in the movie.

Marcus Telcontar
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:15:59 AM
The ability to write something that anyone can pick up and enjoy is a true talent

I disagree - I consider it relatively easy. Developing something complex and involving on the other hand, is where the talent lies.

The other to consider is that Tolkein did not write to be an author. His purpose was to write a mythology in the style of Beowulf, of which he is one of the greatest authorities. The closest to Tolkein being an author is The Hobbit. And as such he did not care for how the reader was able to understand. His writing is indeed a foreign language to those who cant get into it. That, he never made an excuse for.

Easy and engaging is also somethign I tend to equate with a dry hamburger - yeah it fills you, but there's no depth, there no real taste or meat. example, the latest book I'm reading, The Borne Identity. Tolkein and some other fantasy authors OTOH are like a superb steak with exotic spices - some wont go past the spice cause it tastes weird. Some will get used to the spice and discover whats underneath. For still others, the spice and steak combine to an experience.

Personally, that's why I dont really write much now. I can write pretty well and engage the reader, but it lacks the depth I want. It lacks the taste and sheer experience that I regard real storytelling is about. I got the topping right, but the steak is cruelly lacking :/

Charley
Sep 24th, 2004, 05:26:24 AM
The thing about Tolkein is that I don't necessarily think he was a good author. Or, more specifically, not a good storyteller.

He crafted an entire world. I'm not just saying he made a few throwaway references to some other races; Every single one of his races have a language, a culture, and a history. His world is probably more rich than any other fictional setting you'll find. That's the strength of his novel(s).

However, there's something to be said for readability. The ability to write something that anyone can pick up and enjoy is a true talent. It's not just about having a good story to tell, it's about how you tell it. In that regard, I feel that's Tolkein's greatest weakness. The writing itself was overwrought and often meandering. He wrote out his stories like a thesis paper. I can still appreciate the amazing, ground-breaking work he put forth with them, but by no means do I enjoy reading his prose.

It takes a great talent to tell your story in a way that's easy to grasp and engaging. It's a balance between style and substance. While the LOTR trilogy had substance in abundance, there is no flair in the way it tells it. While it's possible to look past this and still enjoy it for the content beneath, it makes it much more difficult.

I agree with this. The first half of Fellowship is as dry and plodding as melba toast being carried by a half-starved burro.

The only way it could've been a more tedious read is if it used "period language" a la Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter which is my official "Worst Book of All Time".

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:41:32 AM
Future Shock by Alvin Toffler. Dated I know, but I still love that book for some odd reason.

Also, Between Heaven and Hell by Peter Kreeft. It's a dialogue between Aldus Huxley, JFK, and C.S. Lewis as they're in purgatory (or some state of neither here nor there).

Morgan Evanar
Sep 24th, 2004, 09:36:12 AM
Originally posted by Charley
I agree with this. The first half of Fellowship is as dry and plodding as melba toast being carried by a half-starved burro.

The only way it could've been a more tedious read is if it used "period language" a la Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter which is my official "Worst Book of All Time".

Andromeda
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:08:58 PM
the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, and the Song of albion by Stephen Lawhead.

AmazonBabe
Sep 24th, 2004, 04:41:50 PM
I agree the LOTR books are difficult. I found it quite slow in the beginning, but after about 50 pages or so, I couldn't put the thing down.

Also, Tolkiens writing is quite different from most books I've read. You have to have "patience" with it.

Visc:

Middle Earth Online

Say wha???

ReaperFett
Sep 24th, 2004, 05:57:12 PM
THey're making a MMORPG set in Middle Earth. Adventurous, a fantasy MMORPG! :eek

Lady Vader
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:03:15 PM
I smell sarcasm. :p

Seriously, though, this was the first time I'd heard about it (I think O_o ) and it just surprised/excited me. :)

Anyways, on with the book...ing...thing. :D

Jacen
Sep 24th, 2004, 09:54:34 PM
Ender's Game series is definitely one of the best. Though if you really like to connect with the characters then be warned cause some of these guys will seriously make you mad.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:07:52 PM
I didn't enjoy Ender's series after the second book.

Cardinal Aiyalin
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:36:00 PM
Shawn.. LOL!!!!!!!!! That was hysterical, yet so true.

I don't know why I enjoy the Wheel of Time books so much, but I do. Jordan isn't the best writer in the world -- he tends to meander and spend a large amount of space describing the scenery down to minute detail.. however, his first 6 books had a spark to them where I simply couldn't put them down. You can get absorbed into his world and it leaves you yearning for more. After book 6, however, I think Jordan became bogged down in his style of writing and is dragging out the story entirely too long.. but by now I'm emotionally invested in the storyline and will read the books until they finish.. simply because I've spent the last 8 years of my life reading them. I certainly hope it gets finished before I die. I still think they're good reads.

I like the Dragonlance series up until the second generation novels, they've gone far downhill recently.. but the early books are awesome.

King is a good author, but I've always liked Dean Koontz better. Lightning and Twilight Eyes are two of my favorite Koontz books. I tend to prefer his "supernatural" novels more than his dramas, however.

And actually, Charley.. the worst book of all time is a tie between "Heart of Darkness" and "Tess of the D'Urbervilles".. I burned both those books after I was finished with my english classes in high school.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:40:09 PM
:) I enjoyed Heart of Darkness, esp. when I read it in conjunction with watching Apocalypse Now. Possibly the best, but certainly one of the best, book to movie transition.

Dean Koontz "From the Corner of His Eye" is pretty darn good too, and "By The Light of the Moon" is great. I've only read three of his novels, and I've liked each one.

Cardinal Aiyalin
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:49:26 AM
ugh, I hated Heart of Darkness.. Apocalypse Now was a pretty good movie, and it was a good adaptation.

I felt like I was slogging through thick mud reading that book.. I'm glad you like it, but I was definitely ready to burn it! :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 25th, 2004, 11:47:31 AM
I'm not going to pretend it wasn't a *very* hard read, but it was good. :)

Yurza Magus
Sep 25th, 2004, 03:23:39 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
I didn't enjoy Ender's series after the second book.

Yeah i know what you mean, but it was still well written, though for me it was just my lossing interest in a few characters that made the series go downhill.

Charley
Sep 25th, 2004, 03:34:13 PM
Originally posted by Cardinal Aiyalin
And actually, Charley.. the worst book of all time is a tie between "Heart of Darkness" and "Tess of the D'Urbervilles".. I burned both those books after I was finished with my english classes in high school.

Can't speak for the latter, but naysaying Heart of Darkness is pure blasphemy. That book is pure awesome, multiplied tenfold after you read it and then watch Apocalypse Now.

Malcolm Trippen
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:32:57 PM
If you want my favorite book of all time (and I'm serious about this), its called The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark. I red it when I was about five the first time. I absolutely loved it. About 2 months ago, I did work experience in my old primary school. They've expanded, so they take right through from Reception (4/5) through to year 6 (10/11). I was in a year 1 class. The book was there. I read it again...and its still a great book. Ok, its not a novel, but its just funny. Its about this owl, called Plop who is, surprisingly, afraid of the dark. The best bit is watching the kid's faces when you read the story to them...so its definately a book to read with an audience. Plus, the pictures were cool. :)

[/lameness]

Akrabbim
Sep 25th, 2004, 09:40:14 PM
The Screwtape Letters - C. S. Lewis.

Synopsis: An elder demon writes to a younger in order to tell him how to tempt a human. Quite good. And not very long, either.

Slayn Cloak
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:55:58 PM
requiem for a dream: herber selby jr. A clockwork orange: anthony burgees... infact, anythingy buy selby is worth a read; Choke is good too... the guy who wrote fight club did this one, I can never remember his name. fight club is also exceptionally good, much better than the dinky, but fun, movie. Train spotting is anouther good book, don't know the author their either. ( saw the movie first on that one.)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 26th, 2004, 08:16:28 PM
Dasq - you should have known that NO ONE can reccomend only ONE book. :)

Mandy with an I
Sep 27th, 2004, 07:59:17 AM
This thread just reminds me how few books I actually read :x
The last book I read was "If Chins Could Kill" by Bruce Campbell. I really don't enjoy sci-fi/fantasy books, but here are some more recommendations.

Anything by Douglas Coupland, esp. Life After God, Generation X and Microserfs (which is about Microsoft...lol). http://www.coupland.com/books/index.html

Books by John Douglas, who used to be a profiler in the FBI are always interesting. Manga is always good (although, I don't think a graphic novel counts as a book).

Slayn Cloak
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:40:26 AM
I'm going to add that my eng comp teacher is an idiot... he had all the books ever written to assign for us to read, and he made us read the davinci code. I hate this book with a passion, and am generally turned off buy religious crap.

Christopher Munro
Sep 27th, 2004, 11:03:45 AM
There are so many books getting suggested...maybe it'd help if you suggested what you're looking for in a book, Dasq? That way, we can try and narrow things down for you. I've been reading through the list and, though I don't doubt that all of these books are good, some of them just aren't my cup of tea...I'm pretty sure that the same would be true for anyone.

Also, when are you looking to read this book? I have bedtime books, journey books, and holiday/weekend books. Stuff like Lord of the Rings, which takes a lot of effort to read, I save for holidays and weekends. I tried reading LOTR before I went to bed...it was 10am the next morning before I decided it'd be a good idea to stop reading and put it down. When I'm travelling long-distance (which I don't like to do), I prefer a book that is absorbing (so I don't notice the travel), but doesn't take much effort to read - I often get headaches if I try and read anything too complicated on a journey. And before bed, I try and go for lighthearted books...ones that aren't gonna give me a lot to think about. I try and blank out my mind before I go to sleep. Short chapters are good for that kind of book, too...if you want to read on into the next chapter, it won't take that long.

Lady Mylia
Sep 27th, 2004, 09:43:44 PM
1984 is awesome *in the middle of reading it* Heart of Darkness sucked... really hard read... I just can't get into a book a fall asleep reading... Scarlett Letter wasn't as horrible, minus the lil prelouge thing... I really recommend Slaughter House 5 - Vonngut, Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald, Tuesday with Morrie - Albom, and Catcher in the Rye - Salinger

Kwiet Ideya
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:52:44 PM
Got more recommendations. Read Prince Ombra by Roderick MacLeish and Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.

HFunk
Sep 28th, 2004, 01:02:04 AM
I second George R R Martin, can't encourage booklovers enough without insulting their intelligence and draw hostile reactions. But hey, he is that good.

2. Walter Mosely - Easy Rawlins is by far the most lovable and realistically articulated mystery character I've personally ever encountered. Mosely's evocation of an era in Los Angeles is impeccable, Easy Rawlins is easily one of the warmest and craftiest characters in mystery literature. Mosely has also has written essays and other books, and has another character series going which I have not read a single volume of. Will get to them once I have read all the Rawlins novels, the latest Rawlins novel -- Little Scarlet -- has hit the bookshelves. Extremely literary!!!

1. Devil in a Blue Dress etc

---

3. James Swain - Gambling expert and considered one of the world's greatest card handlers, now author has an awesome series going with Tony Valentine, ex-policeman now works for the casinos as a consultant busting cons, cheats, and grifters. Sardonic mature material too. Highly addictive and compulsive reads. James Swain is good author, picks your brain and keeps you coming back for more. And love the insider views exposed in his novels. A fun author and too addictive. Though not seriously literary.

1. Grift Sense 2. Funny Money 3. Sucker Bet 4. Loaded Dice

---

3. William Kent Krueger - Excellent mystery writer, amongst a few others of a similar vein are Steve Hamilton, C.J. Box, and Rick Riordan but IMO Krueger tops them all simply for being much more literary accessible and for the greater part tighter plots. *mystery fan aboard*

1. Iron Lake 2. Boundary Waters 3. Purgatory Ridge 4. The Devil's Bed 5. Blood Hollow

---

4. Robert Holdstock - Another fantasy author that beautifully blends European myth and lore in convergance with contemporary settings. His prose is in many ways equal to Martin's and has improved greatly with each additional volume. Wonderfully bizarre and perhaps an acquired taste, you don't need a deep familiarity of Celtic, Greek, Roman, and Norse myths but it helps in the smallest ways.

1. Mythago Woods 2. Lavondyss 3. The Hollowing 4. Gate of Ivory, Gate of Horn (Other series The Merlin Codex is even more bizarre yet maybe not more mythological.)

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:53:40 AM
Originally posted by Christopher Munro
There are so many books getting suggested...maybe it'd help if you suggested what you're looking for in a book, Dasq? That way, we can try and narrow things down for you. I've been reading through the list and, though I don't doubt that all of these books are good, some of them just aren't my cup of tea...I'm pretty sure that the same would be true for anyone.

Anything is good really. Just suggest whatever you enjoy. Perhaps even if I don't find some of the suggestions useful, other people will :)

Zarell Karna
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:25:10 AM
Alot of Koontz readers here, he was once my favorite author.

I haven't picked up one of his books since The Bad Place. My favorite books by him are Midnight, Phantoms (bathroom stalls and meatlockers were never the same IIRC), and Watchers.

Watchers had of one his most sympathic villians ever, The Outsider. His writing is way out there and quite imaginative. I can't imagine picking one of his books up now, it's hard to return to an author once you've left them and their style alone for so long. Plenty of mystery and suspense wrapped up in those yet same basic pattern.

Christopher Munro
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:12:40 AM
An Inspector Calls.

The whole world deserves to share in what I suffered last year...:(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 28th, 2004, 11:37:33 AM
Harold and the Purple Crayon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0064430227/102-6903436-3108134?v=glance)

Yes, it's a children's book. Yes, I'm a child :)

Leten Snat
Sep 28th, 2004, 12:26:57 PM
I would like to recommend the "Sword of Truth" books by Terry Goodkind. It makes a lot more sence if you read them in order, otherwise it's confusing. All the books make reffernce to many things that are in the other books before them, but as long as you read them in order the are VERY good books.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:13:38 PM
Originally posted by Zarell Karna
Alot of Koontz readers here, he was once my favorite author. .... I can't imagine picking one of his books up now, it's hard to return to an author once you've left them and their style alone for so long. Plenty of mystery and suspense wrapped up in those yet same basic pattern.

I couldn't imagine *not* re-reading the books I have. I'm big into re-reading books, which is why I try to always buy books, rather than borrow them from the library. That way it's like I own my *own* library, and I can go back and pick up an old favorite and discover it again. :love

Zarell Karna
Sep 28th, 2004, 03:38:18 PM
No, I re-read all the books I love and keep them on my bookshelf for such occassions. But my tastes have shifted I found that out after trying to give my favorite Koontz novels and some other old favorites another go around recently.

HFunk
Sep 28th, 2004, 04:14:21 PM
My exclusive club member H.G. Wells 3-in-1 (includes The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds, and The Island of Dr. Moreau) arrived the other day.

As did Edgar Allan Poe: Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe.

Also interesting new names as Stewart O'Nan, Bill Crider, and Glen Hirshberg.

Only problem with purchasing books through a book club is they have little or no monetary and collectible value because they have no resale value. But these are my books and I don't intend selling them.

Zarell Karna
Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:53:05 AM
Aside from Walter Mosley, another two authors that I have just begun to enjoy immensely:

James Ellroy - Hardcore noir and the progeny of legendary writers such as Dashiel Hammett and Raymond Chandler. Snappy dialogue and hardboiled suspense. If you don't know the name well his book City Confidential was made into a film of course.

John D. MacDonald - Only have just begun to read his Travis McGee series (he has alot of standalones too), and like any of Mosley series written requires you to read it in chronological order (or be spoiled).

Mystery and detective novels IMO are my best choice as other genres have more obviously evident hack writers.

I no longer feel George R R Martin is going to remain my numero uno any longer (Mosely is going neck and neck, probably surpassed him), not with these three outstanding gold literary authors. Haste is waste. GRRM is still the best modern fantasy author around IMO. Highly recommend checking these three out on your next book hunt trip to the store.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:29:19 PM
Isaac ASIMOV - you can't call yourself a sci-fi fan if you've never read anything by him. I just finished off the Foundation books, which, unfortunately, end on a cliff hanger. >_<

Zarell Karna
Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:09:06 PM
To my own shame I haven't read Hammett and Chandler yet, the grandfathers of hardboiled noir. Very shameful and I am going to get around to them soon or it's my life so shoot me (hehehe).

But a reliable source just provided me a couple of names to check out.

Jim Fusilli and G.M. Ford, I like the buzz on both of these authors and come payday will invest in both their work. These are series writers, my favorite type of mystery pulp. G.M. Ford has two series I believe. Give them a look because both write gritty dark crime fiction. I also desire to check out Dick Francis too who writes the mystery novels involved in horse racing.

Getting back to the late John D. MacDonald, I wholeheartedly recommend the Travis McGee series. He writes hardboiled noir novels with a classic flair from the first person POV including quips and metaphoric descriptions or thoughts. A+++++

Edit: I forgot to include Mickey Spillane, author of the Mike Hammer seriel, another quotable hardboiled author who has the distinction of actually being perhaps the best selling author in the world during his height. I have read some of his novels years ago. But will revisit them along with the other greats Hammett, Chandler, and R. MacDonald.

Figrin D'an
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:05:45 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Isaac ASIMOV - you can't call yourself a sci-fi fan if you've never read anything by him. I just finished off the Foundation books, which, unfortunately, end on a cliff hanger. >_<

Likewise with Arthur C. Clarke. People tend to know him "2001" series, but he's written much more that is often overlooked. "The Songs of Distant Earth", "The Fountains of Paradise" and "Childhood's End" are all good reads, and his collection of short stories is outstanding. Not the greatest character-writer around, but his vision and creativity are just light-years beyond so many others.

Eowiodith Unadrieniel
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:24:47 PM
Alright, I have to say that I'm very dissapointed in all of you who havn't read the LotR (Lord of the Rings) series, and especially those of who say it's boring! I mean, c'mon, they have adventure, romance, mystery (ok not really mystery), but they are really cool. If you find the poems boring, just skip over them, most of the time they are not important to the story. Also, for the first time LotR readers, don't get stuck in the descriptions, save that forthe second or third time through. It's alot better that way. Anyway, i'm done raving now. You can carry on with life.

*edit* btw, the other books by J.R.R. Tolkien are really good too.

Figrin D'an
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:55:25 PM
Originally posted by Eowiodith Unadrieniel
Alright, I have to say that I'm very dissapointed in all of you who havn't read the LotR (Lord of the Rings) series, and especially those of who say it's boring! I mean, c'mon, they have adventure, romance, mystery (ok not really mystery), but they are really cool. If you find the poems boring, just skip over them, most of the time they are not important to the story. Also, for the first time LotR readers, don't get stuck in the descriptions, save that forthe second or third time through. It's alot better that way. Anyway, i'm done raving now. You can carry on with life.

*edit* btw, the other books by J.R.R. Tolkien are really good too.

I'm a big fan of Tolkien's work as well, but I also acknowledge that his stories aren't for everyone. He really had two main priorities in his writings: establishing a mythic pre-history for his native country (ie. England), and creating a vehicle by which to develop and use his lingusitic creations. Aspects of his books outside those two goals, while in some cases very good, were secondary to him, and at times, it does show in his writing. (I mean, look at The Silmarillion... it's like reading a history/religious text. Informative, but very dry.)

For the same reasons that people might not be able to get into things like Beowulf or Arthurian legend, some are not able to find Tolkien engaging. No big deal.

Zarell Karna
Oct 4th, 2004, 01:07:04 AM
ttt repost!

Here are some samplings of late crime fiction legend John D. MacDonald's prose from the forward introduction from Carl Hiaasen (no spoilers and most concern Travis' out look on the Glades and Florida):

"This was instant Florida, tacky and stifling and full of ugly and spurious energies."

"Now, of course, having failed in every attempt to subdue the Glades by frontal attack, we are slowly killing it off by tapping the River of Grass. In the questionable name of progress, the state in its vast wisdom lets every two-bit developer divert the flow into draglined canals that give him 'waterfront' lots to sell..."

"down the Withlacoochee, adrift in a slow current, seeing the morning mist rising at the base of the limestone buttes, seeing the sudden heart-stopping dip and wheel of a flight of birds of incredible whiteness..."

"Tacky though it might be, its fate uncertain, too much of its destiny in the hands of men whose sole thought was grab the money and run, cheap little politicians with blow-dried hair, ice-eyed old men from the North with devout claims about their duties to their shareholders, big-rumped good old boys from the cattle countries with their fingers in the till right up to their cologned armpits - it was still my place in the world. It is where I am and where I will stay, right up to the point where the Neptune Society sprinkles me into the dilute sewage off the Fun Coast."

Zarell Karna
Oct 4th, 2004, 03:25:03 AM
Here is the first two pages of the first book of Travis McGee The Deep Blue Good-By:

Copyright © by John D. MacDonald Publishing, Inc.

Renewal © by Maynard MacDonald

It was to have been a quiet evening at home.

Home is the Busted Flush, 52-foot barge-type houseboat, Slip F-18, Bahia Mar, Lauderdale.

Home is where the privacy is. Draw all the opaque curtains, button the hatches, and with the whispering drone of the air conditioning masking all the sound of the outside world, you are no longer cheek to jowl with the random activities aboard the neighbor craft. You could be in a rocket beyond Venus, or under the icecap.

Because it is a room aboard, I call it the lounge, and because that is one of the primary activities.

I was sprawled on the deep curve of the corner couch, studying charts of the keys, trying to work up enough enthusiasm and energy to plan moving the Busted Flush to a new mooring for a while. She has a pair of Hercules diesels, 58 HP each, that will chug her along at a stately six knots. I didn't want to move her. I like Lauderdale. But it had been so long I was wondering if I should.

Chookie McCall was choreographing some fool thing. She had come over because I had the privacy and enough room. She had shoved the furniture out of the way, set up a couple of mirrors from the master stateroom, and set up her rackety little metronome. She wore a faded old rust-red leotard, mended with black thread in a couple of places. She had her black hair tied into a scarf.

She was working hard. She would go over a sequence time and time again, changing it a little each time, and when she was satisfied, she would hurry over to the table and make the proper notations on her clip board.

Dancers work as hard as coal miners used to work. She stomped and huffed and contorted her splendid and perfectly proportioned body. In spite of the air conditioning, she had filled the lounge with a faint sharp-sweet odor of large overheated girl. She was a pleasant distraction. In the lounge lights there was a highlighted gleam of perspiration on the long round legs and arms.

"Damn!" she said, scowling at her notations.

Any quotations are welcome to be removed by moderators if after a short while on the thread for viewing.

Zarell Karna
Oct 5th, 2004, 01:01:17 AM
John D. MacDonald has to be one of the most quotable crime fiction writers this side of Dashiel Hammett, Raymond Chandler, and Ross MacDonald. There are sites devoted to Hammett and Chandler containing plentiful selective quotes.

One more note, I mispelled both author names it is Jim Fusilli and G. M. Ford, I looked these guys up alittle deeper and found Fusilli has had some mixed reviews -- his protagonist Terry Orr (cool name) is quite angst-ridden and never stops dwelling on the past which has transformed him into the person he is today. Prose is excellent and will instantly grab you but the character has tried reader's patience and tolerance. Still will try him.

I am just finishing up Mosley's Fearless Jones, taking a hiatus from the Easy Rawlins serial. A book which introduces two very different characters Fearless Jones and Paris Minton. Mosley has devoted three books to them thus far and Fearless Jones is the first one. Can't say the book is Mosley at his most literary excellence, he is well on his way to being a legend, but a charming and suspenseful novel. Paris Minton is a bookstore keeper, a shy, law abiding citizen. A humble, intelligent, and reasonable man. Contrary is Fearless Jones an ex-soldier and dear friend of Paris whom became long time pals in a shared experience of happenstance. A street tough with a gigantic heart of gold and self-devoted protector of the helpless and meek. A gentle but very brave human being whom approaches danger and slaps it in the face. Righteous individual yet always at odds with the law and often finds himself in jail. And refuses to bend his morals and his personal sense of justice. Loyalist friend of friends and deadliest enemy of enemies. Some of the situations or character's actions in Fearless Jones can be quite unreal but in the hand of Mosley it works magic. As always Mosley perfectly evokes 1950s Los Angeles like a time capsule, and these two characters will grow large on your heart.

Shawn
Oct 5th, 2004, 07:04:20 AM
You're bordering on spam now. Please stop.

Zarell Karna
Oct 5th, 2004, 09:32:35 PM
But this is a book and discussion thread. :/

Shawn
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:25:34 AM
No one is discussing. You're just posting over and over. Edit your last post if you really need to keep adding something to say.

Mitch
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:33:00 AM
Oh, good news, everyone!

<u>The Pyrates</u> by George Macdonald Fraser, the author of the Flashman series, has come back into print after fifteen years!

Fraser is possibly the best humorous book writer I've ever read, and <u>The Pyrates</u> was no exception. Brilliantly written, and has both scathing wit and hilarious gags. It can be found only at Barnes and Noble so far, but I highly, highly reccomend this book. Especially for the first sentence of what I believe to be chapter nine. It's a page and a half long. Yes, one sentence, a page and a half long. It was hilarious to hear my brother try to read it all in one breath.

Adonis
Oct 7th, 2004, 12:39:33 PM
Arg.

This is a book I read, it was really good, the problem lies in the fact that I CANNOT for the life of me remember the title, other than the word Walrus.

And I never could re-find it at the library either...

PS -Just to help anyone who might know about this book, it's Sci-fi and sorta like Alice in wonderland themed. Only computery/matrix-ish

Tessek
Oct 15th, 2004, 07:29:01 PM
The Foundation series was good, but I agree..he shouldn't have ended on a cliffhanger =(
Well I guess right now that'd be 'The Skystone' by Jack Whyte. It's the first of 8 books, which attempts to explain the story behind the Arthurian myth.
However the first book is set as a diary (they all are) from the point of view of a Roman legionary named Publius Varrus, who basically sets the stage for the rest of the legend.
That's not the best description I could give, but it's the best I can think of at the moment. If you like historical fiction, though, that is definately one of the best books out there.

James Prent
Oct 16th, 2004, 01:09:11 AM
The Wild Card series is pretty darn good too.

And the Pendragon series nby Stephen Lawhead is awesome - also an Authurian legend book series.

Mitch
Oct 16th, 2004, 01:56:51 AM
I liked the Albion series better than the Pendragon series, myself.

Jiro Lawson
Oct 17th, 2004, 06:50:43 PM
The Dragonback series (Timothy Zahn) is pretty good.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 17th, 2004, 07:01:10 PM
The Wild Card series is pretty darn good too.

Except after book 8 - the last decent one featured Bowman. After this one, they become comteptable crap. Him or Mark Meadows were the best characters.

James Prent
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:24:52 PM
Originally posted by Mitch
I liked the Albion series better than the Pendragon series, myself.

OH MY GOD YES I love that series!!

I so want to see the Song of Albion books as movies. :hug MItch you are my book buddy now

Dalamar DeSang
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:31:08 AM
Whats the Albion and Pendragon about? Could I get a quick rehash of the basic story. I'm looking to buy thats why. HEHEHE..

Hart
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:26:58 PM
Joseph Heller's Catch-22

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 7th, 2004, 03:15:46 PM
Originally posted by Vampyre Dalamar
Whats the Albion and Pendragon about? Could I get a quick rehash of the basic story. I'm looking to buy thats why. HEHEHE..
Um, pick them up and read the backs? I'm not copying it out for you. OR, go to Amazon.com and read about them there.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 7th, 2004, 04:53:45 PM
I'm almost finished reading "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400049628/qid=1099866223/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-5037634-2877625?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)" by Max Brooks, and would just like to recommend it to anyone who hasn't already checked it out... before it's too late :uhoh

Teleran Balades
Nov 7th, 2004, 05:52:12 PM
Ender's Game series and Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card

Rhea Kaylen
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:25:15 PM
OH MY GOD YES I love that series!!

I so want to see the Song of Albion books as movies. :hug MItch you are my book buddy now

Mitch, I knew you rocked. Actually, all of you rock--I thought I was the only lost soul on this planet ever to have read Albion.

Must. Be. Made. Into. Movies.

Perhaps my favorite books of all time. Lawhead is certainly one of my favorite authors. I have heard Pendragon is awesome, though have never read them, only part of the first book. Which, admittedly, was awesome. And my sentimental favorite of all his series, because it was the first of his I ever read, is the fantastic Dragon King Trilogy. So much love for these books. I want to be a Jher...*cries*

But if I can only recommend one book (whoops, already broke this rule, didn't I?), then Song of Albion number one, Paradise War.

Vamp Dalamar: As for a synopsis, basically two young men accidentally (or not-so-accidentally? *suspense*) stumble into the Otherworld, which, in a nutshell, is ancient Celtic Britain (Albion, as you history buffs might recall) that happens to be the source of all beauty and magic in our own world. The two worlds, which are delicately intertwined, are starting to unravel from their intricate balance. If that happens, life will never be the same. Beautiful prose that elicits gorgeous scenery in the mind's eye, fabulous characters, and complete escapist bliss.

Oh, how I wish these were movies...

Dalamar DeSang
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:43:02 PM
Thank you Rhea that was all I was looking for.. Rubs his hands together gleefully. :lol

Rhea Kaylen
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:51:04 PM
Y'very welcome. Really, really great books, please read. PM me and tell me what you think, if you do read them!

James Prent
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:51:33 PM
The Dragon King series were also the first Lawhead books I read. The Hall of the Dragon King, The Warlords of Nin, and The Sword and the Flame... so awesome. He manages to bring so many things to life...

The Song of Albion series is so fantastic: you get so emotionally wrapped up in the characters because of the artful way they're crafted for you on the pages... I cried REAL TEARS for the first time while reading a book during The Endless Knot. (Timeline by Micheal Crichton is the only other book to do that to me *sob*) I cannot reccomend these enough.

I think I should read these to my husband...

Angelica Shin
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:40:40 PM
I'm almost finished reading "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400049628/qid=1099866223/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-5037634-2877625?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)" by Max Brooks, and would just like to recommend it to anyone who hasn't already checked it out... before it's too late :uhoh

LMAO!

My brother OWNS that book! *finds it funny that someone here has read a book her brother likes*

And yes, it is a good book.

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 19th, 2004, 11:05:03 PM
Thread nercomancy.

The Burned Children of America

A collection of short stories from some of Americas best young writers with an introduction by Zadie Smith. I highly recommend it.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 20th, 2004, 05:14:46 AM
I finally finished "Wizard and Glass" (from the Dark Tower series) ... I wish they'd hurry up and put the next book out in paperback :mad

Charley
Nov 20th, 2004, 08:54:07 AM

I'm reading the US Army Survival Manual for pretty much the same reason. I also am reading the Concealed Handgun Handbook, the Combat Handgun manual, John Lott's "More Guns, Less Crime" and the 2004 Shooter's Bible.

You know, just in case ;)

Soolin Anjhurin
Apr 26th, 2005, 07:49:14 AM
The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny

If I can only recommend one book, then this is the book.

Shawn
Apr 27th, 2005, 08:05:44 AM
Currently reading House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. I can best describe it as Lovecraft meets the Blair Witch Project. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, but it's kind of a dry read, so it may not be for everyone.

Kieran Devaneaux
Apr 27th, 2005, 08:57:54 AM
Whoa, major thread necromancy. :eek

Me, I liked the Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson Dune prequels, particularly the House trilogy (Atreides, Harkonnen, Corrino)....I only got "The Butlerian Jihad" out of the second trilogy they did, so I don't know enough of the rest of it. More recently, I got back into "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide" by the almost-four-years-late Douglas Adams (damn shame what happened to him) and Jurassic Park, of course. Damn, the book is SO different from the movie....

Of course, I also read the Redwall series. Got into it in middle school. "The Bellmaker" remains my personal favorite - mainly because it's the only one I personally have.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 27th, 2005, 09:46:16 AM
Currently reading House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. I can best describe it as Lovecraft meets the Blair Witch Project. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, but it's kind of a dry read, so it may not be for everyone.

I'm reading that too (among other things) :) Great minds ;)

It's freaked me out on a couple of occasions. Primarily when Johnny asks you to focus on the book and nothing else, and starts talking about something sneaking up on you, or some such.

Also reading through Brave New World.

Wei Wu Wei
Apr 27th, 2005, 06:01:57 PM
The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen. That book will leave you in the lurch for a long time. It hits very close to home as far as American culture goes. I had a rough time reading this one, but it was still good.

Bandage
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:22:52 AM
Hmmm, for a good mental read, Fyodor Dostoyevsky's (sp) Crime and Punishment. For a good, action/espionage read, any of the Bourne series by Robert Ludlum (and yes, the books are much better than the movies!). Brave New World was a wacky book, but made sense in some aspects......For a good vampire series, go for Brian Lumley's series Necroscope. Hmmm, it's so hard narrowing it down to one......

TheHolo.Net
Apr 29th, 2005, 07:19:14 AM
This thread is long enough now that it is getting to be a strain on the Data Base. To continue this thread please start a new one and I will make a link to the new thread in this post.

This thread is now locked.