PDA

View Full Version : College Football

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2004, 04:41:06 PM
I can't believe nobody has started this and it comes down to the NFL fan to start it :p Seriously what do you all think so far. Right now South Carolina is beating Georgia 16-0. Notre Dame is leading Michigan in the 4th, two possible upsets there. Already Kansas State got blown out by Fresno state now that is a shocker.

CMJ
Sep 11th, 2004, 04:47:22 PM
I wasn't gonna start it, because it only seems like Figrin, Charley, and I give a damn. ;) It's been a very interesting day - that's for sure. I'll be back to post after the North Texas game. That's the only game that really matters. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2004, 04:51:12 PM
LOL I care some what. I usually follow the games. I just prefer the NFL a little more. I still like College Football though :)

Figrin D'an
Sep 11th, 2004, 05:02:31 PM
Upsets so far this weekend:

#7 Michigan lost to Notre Dame, 28-20
#12 Kansas St. lost to Fresno St., 45-21
#17 Missouri lost to Troy St., 24-14 (Thursday Night)
Nebraska lost to Southern Miss, 21-17

and #3 Georgia is losing to S. Carolina, 16-13

After a first weekend in which only one top 25 team lost, several have gone this weekend, including Florida State last night to Miami, a game that it looked like the Seminoles had won until the Hurricanes rallied in late in the 4th quarter to force OT.

Not a good weekend for the Big 12 North. Right now, it would appear that whomever wins the Red River Shootout this year will win the Big 12.

Also... I haven't understood why some analysts, like Jim Donnan have been so high on Michigan. Their running game has yet to show life this season, and they're starting a true freshman at QB because of the injury to Matt Gutierrez. The defense is outstanding, but it doesn't matter if you have the best wideouts in the nation... eventually, a true freshman QB will play like a true freshman. The Wolverines are finding that out now against the Irish. It's not just the Michigan/Ohio State show in the Big Ten anymore (the Buckeyes are struggling today as well). Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Purdue will be right in the middle of the conference title race as well.

Speaking of Purdue (yeah, you all knew it was coming), they won again in blowout fashion. It's easy to say that they haven't played anyone tough yet, but still... in two games, they've scored 110 points and allowed only 7. The defense is young, but they've played great thus far. They held Walter Reyes, one of the better RB's in the nation, to just 31 yards rushing. And Kyle Orton is looking like a Heisman-calibur QB.

I love college football. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2004, 05:05:50 PM
Heh I knew you bring up Purdue :) Michigan is overrated. I think Florida State is too. Rix is a horrible QB, I am guessing Florida State has nobody else, becuase he wouldn't start on most teams. Honestly, Miami doesn't look that good either. I think Clemson could take that conference, honestly, heck so couldn't Maryland or Virgina Tech. It is pretty much up for grabs.

Figrin D'an
Sep 11th, 2004, 05:24:52 PM
Ohio State found a way to win a close game yet again. It took a career long 54-yard field goal by their kicker as time expired to pull it off, but they managed to squeak by another close call in non-conference play, just like they have the past 3 years.

Figrin D'an
Sep 11th, 2004, 06:35:23 PM
Georgia has taken the lead, 20-16, but the game is far from over. S. Carolina is getting their offense going really for the first time in the second half and should have a great chance to still get the upset.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2004, 06:43:57 PM
6 losses in a row to Miami. Eat it Seminoles!!!!! :shootin
(Not that I'm a huge Canes fan, but I'm from a Florida school (USF) and FSU is pretty high up there on my enemies list. And believe me, it's a LONG list!)

Figrin D'an
Sep 11th, 2004, 07:08:56 PM
S. Carolina couldn't pull it out. Two turnovers late in the game doomed them. But, they definitely gave Georgia a scare.

As I look through the polls at the Top 10 teams, I'm really not that impressed to be honest. USC has looked pretty good, and so has Oklahoma (although their run defense struggled last week). Georgia is solid in most areas, but they struggled offensively most of their game today. Other than that, everyone else has some major flaws. Miami still can't trust Brock Berlin to win games for them, IMO. FSU can't run the football, and Chris Rix is still a headcase. LSU has a QB controversy. So does Michigan once Gutierrez gets healthy, and they also have yet to show a decent running game. Ohio State is having issues at QB as well, not just athletically but leadership-wise as well since Krenzel has departed. Texas has talent, but everyone still questions if they will ever beat Oklahoma. I know it's only a couple weeks into the season, and teams will improve, but I think beyond the top 3 teams or so, the Top 10 is going see a LOT of fluxuation this year, with teams jumping in and out all season long. If ever there was a year in which a team from the lower part of the Top 25 could step up and make a run at the National Championship, it's this year.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2004, 07:18:08 PM
Wow, Ty Willingham is going to silence some of his critics with Norte Dame's big comeback against Michigan. Pretty sweet comeback.

CMJ
Sep 11th, 2004, 08:13:33 PM
Florida Atlantic scores with 29 seconds left...FAU 20 NT 13. :cry

Other than that a really good day in college football. You gotta love upsets and there were several today, with a few near misses. Notre Dame's victory is probably the headliner, because of their lousy season last year, but Fresno State is the big story to me. They're as good as they were 3 years ago IMHO. The Fresno/Boise game is gonna be awesome.

Two weeks into the season you can't tell alot. Some teams have just played once, and no one is really in fine form(though Southern California looks pretty good already) yet. The Miami/FSU game last night was epic as usual - but I think both schools will have down seasons(for them anyways).

If I had to pick a National Champ today, I'd say USC. Clemson is my "sleeper" pick, though they're in a dogfight right now and might lose.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2004, 08:48:11 PM
Clemson are winning 10-7 now. They should be up more too many drop passes.

Figrin D'an
Sep 11th, 2004, 09:58:28 PM
A couple more upsets:

#25 Oregon lost to Indiana, 30-24
#18 Clemson lost to Georgia Tech, 28-24

and Arkansas is playing #8 Texas extremely tough... only a 2 point lead for the Longhorns in the 4th quarter.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2004, 09:59:00 PM
That clemson game makes me mad that long snapper needs to be booted off the team. grrr.

CMJ
Sep 11th, 2004, 10:08:49 PM
Don't revoke his scholarship dude. ;)

That was a rough way to lose the game.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2004, 10:16:00 PM
LOL he got me mad though that was awful snap. I would at least think about changing snappers after that.

Charley
Sep 12th, 2004, 03:32:27 PM
The Notre Dame game was fantastic. Even though I should've been pulling for al Qaeda in that one, I had to pull for the underdog in that.

The Boilermakers slaughtered Ball St. What a crushing.

Watching Troy beat up on Missouri was satisfying, as was the beaing they gave Marshall last week. They're going to hurt people this season.

As for Bama? Well, they did a bit better than I imagined against Ole Miss, but its still not a perfect show. They muffed punt returns, fumbled, etc. The special teams (with the exception of Christensen, WOW) need work. Our defensive front needs to step up and play hard against the run between the tackles. Our secondary, as always, needs improvement.

Still, a win is a win, and we won quite handily. Still, we need a lot of improvement.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 14th, 2004, 11:35:03 AM
The
Originally posted by CMJ
I wasn't gonna start it, because it only seems like Figrin, Charley, and I give a damn. ;) HEY!

Anyway, the FSU-Miami game was epic, as usual. I still think Brock Berlin is too inconsistent.

Charley
Sep 14th, 2004, 11:37:12 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
I still think Brock Berlin is too inconsistent.

I'll agree with that. The Canes are going to get hosed in an upset or two if he doesn't bring his A game.

Figrin D'an
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:04:03 PM
Considering that both Miami and FSU have consistency problems on offense, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ACC is won by Maryland. They have a reasonably good schedule, and Ralph Friedgen's teams have a tendancy to overachieve. How they do this Saturday against W. Virginia should be a good indicator.

Charley
Sep 14th, 2004, 02:06:18 PM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Considering that both Miami and FSU have consistency problems on offense, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ACC is won by Maryland. They have a reasonably good schedule, and Ralph Friedgen's teams have a tendancy to overachieve. How they do this Saturday against W. Virginia should be a good indicator.

If last year's game was any indication, I'm picking WV on the spread at the very least.

CMJ
Sep 18th, 2004, 08:39:24 PM
No gigantic upsets today, but some terrific games. West Virginia beats a solid Maryland squad. Notre Dame shows last week wasn't a fluke. Michigan rebounds in a squeaker. Okalhoma looks solid. Texas A&M may have turned the corner under Coach Fran. UCLA wins an absolute nailbiter against Washington. Best game of the day was probably LSU/Auburn.

North Texas was thrashed by Colorado 52-21. The positive...our freshman running back put up nearly 250 yards against their defense. I think we have a gem in our midst.

Of course there were other games today, but those were the ones that I either watched parts of, or jumped out at me for one reason of another. Tennessee/Florida are nearing the fourth quarter as I type. The day isn't done by any stretch.

Jedieb
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:17:51 PM
South Carolina edged out USF 34-3 today. Lucky bastards. :shootin

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:32:24 PM
Clemson sucks, how could they not beat Texas A&M? This looks like a disapointing year, right now for them. The sad thing this will open up the people who want to fire Bowden again.

Ryan Pode
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:35:30 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
West Virginia beats a solid Maryland squad.

Solid? Maryland? West Virginia was not good. Maryland had 5 turnovers and managed to take it to OT. It should have been a blowout.

CMJ
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:43:17 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Clemson sucks, how could they not beat Texas A&M?

Kyle Field is typically one of the hardest places to win on the road. I think Coach Franchione is turning the Aggies around. It's not a bad loss at all dude.

Solid? Maryland? West Virginia was not good. Maryland had 5 turnovers and managed to take it to OT. It should have been a blowout

If you didn't notice Maryland was ranked kinda high - and has been good the past few seasons. So yeah, they're more than solid bro. West Virginia has a fairly easy schedule remaining, they could go undefeated.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 18th, 2004, 09:51:37 PM
Well I guess in that way but still the QB has looked awful the first three games. I am now beginning to wonder how good he actually is.

Figrin D'an
Sep 19th, 2004, 12:38:55 AM
Entertaining day of games overall. Florida/Tennessee was quite a game, as was LSU/Auburn and Maryland/West Virginia. Several close calls for some top teams... Georgia looked very pedestrian against Marshall; Ohio State needed their kicker, Mike "Don't call me Ted" Nugent to do most of the scoring for them; Michigan escaped barely (so freakin' overrated...); Wisconsin needed a late rally to get past Arizona. I was surprised that Iowa got beaten so badly... they were terrible against Arizona State.

My favorite part of the day was how, the span of one week, Notre Dame went from a terrible football team to a potential 9-win squad in the eyes of many analysts. Please... they beat an overrated Michigan team lead by a true freshman quarterback with no running game for support, and today they beat a below average Spartan team in East Lansing (and not by much... they almost blew it late in the game after having a big lead). Let's see how well they fair against the likes of USC, Tennessee, Boston College and Purdue. I would love nothing more than see the Boilermaker Express roll into South Bend in two weeks and drop half-a-hundred on those schmucks.

But, first things first. Illinois next weekend, then the Irish.

Cyrel Annat
Sep 19th, 2004, 10:18:18 AM
I was surprised that Iowa got beaten so badly... they were terrible against Arizona State.

Don't get me started. With my work schedule, that will likely be the only game that I will see of them this year and they looked like butt. Recievers dropping wide-open passes and their secondary made Andrew Walter look great. Granted, Walter is a solid QB - having set the ASU record last night for career touchdowns. They were looking for revenge from last year's game here in Iowa City and they certainly got it. Iowa better recover from that though when it's a trouncing of biblical proportions, there's not just one or two fingers that can be pointed. At least the Big Ten doesn't look like the veritable powerhouse that it usually does so Iowa should still have a chance at the title, though it'll be a long road to get it. Drew Tate will be good but he needs more experience, much more experience and receivers that are actually going to try to catch the football - not just fall down and drop it.

Charley
Sep 19th, 2004, 06:36:59 PM
Croyle's out for the season. :cry

We can't seem to keep him healthy...ever.

Charley
Sep 25th, 2004, 03:18:23 PM
Well, we're locked in a deathmatch with the Razorbacks right now. 10-14 at the half. I'm shocked that we're essentially controlling the momentum, even if we're losing at the moment. We're playing physical football, and even though Gillum has made a few newbie mistakes, he's looking relatively sharp in his debut. If our ball handlers will just keep their damn mitts on the football, we can keep stupid turnovers at a minimum. The pigs are really really good at throwing a paw into the mix to cause a fumble.

Charley
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:08:15 PM
As a side note: if Brandon Brooks doesn't start fair catching punts, I'm going to shoot his mother and skin his dog. For serious.

Figrin D'an
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:33:57 PM
Originally posted by Charley
As a side note: if Brandon Brooks doesn't start fair catching punts, I'm going to shoot his mother and skin his dog. For serious.

Well, he'll learn eventually or he'll probably find himself parked on the bench. Good returners have to know how to pick their spots.

Purdue beat Illinois 38-30 today. Offense was spectacular yet again... Orton added 4 more TD passes and a rushing TD to his season total... the run defense was non-existent, though. Terrible tackling. I'm hoping this was just rust from having a week off, and that they got it out of they system today. Certainly can't play like that in South Bend next week and expect to win, even with the offense rolling. Still, a win is a win.

Bring on those Irish punks... time for the Boilermaker Express to run 'em over.

Charley
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:38:21 PM
Yeah, I saw the Purdue highlights. You guys are gonna have a fantastic season if you can tie up the loose ends.

Anyway, this game's just about over. Guess we just couldn't maintain the intensity. 20-10 loss to the pigs :(

Its not a bad look at the team, and we knew Arkansas was gonna be tough. Its really our first true contender of the season. If we make this a learning experience, I think we can play with anybody. If not...we've got a long season ahead of us, because we're gonna play some real bruisers later in the season.

EDIT: 27-10 :(:(:( DAMMIT

Jedieb
Sep 26th, 2004, 11:06:09 AM
USF beat TCU in OT 45-44!!!!! :)
But Army got pasted by Connecticut. Doesn't matter though, only 1 game on the schedule means anything......

On another down note, Baylor beat North Texas. Obviously, they CHEATED! :shootin

CMJ
Sep 26th, 2004, 11:27:09 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
On another down note, Baylor beat North Texas. Obviously, they CHEATED! :shootin

Our losses on defense from last year seem to have affected us more than I figured they would. It's gonna be a rough season it appears. The NT fanbase is calling for Coach Dickey's head already. The 3 time conference coach of the year and folks are ready to give him the axe.

Morons.

Darth Vader
Sep 26th, 2004, 12:59:03 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Our losses on defense from last year seem to have affected us more than I figured they would. It's gonna be a rough season it appears. The NT fanbase is calling for Coach Dickey's head already. The 3 time conference coach of the year and folks are ready to give him the axe.

Morons.

BUT THAT THAR COACH JIST LAWST US UH BAWL GAME!

I hate fairweather redneck football fans, and wish they would get AIDS.

CMJ
Sep 26th, 2004, 02:47:34 PM
Originally posted by Darth Vader
BUT THAT THAR COACH JIST LAWST US UH BAWL GAME!

:lol :lol Well, we are off to a stellar 0-4 start, but if anyone should be given some slack it's Coach Dickey. We hadn't won a Bowl Game in like 50+ years before the 2002 season.

I hate them too.

Figrin D'an
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:02:56 PM

As do I. It's interesting how every conference/region seems to have at least one fanbase that predominently behaves like this. In Big Ten land, they're called "Michigan Fans."

General Dan
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:06:32 PM
I am ashamed to say that about 40% of Alabama's fan base are these kind of people. That being said, the SEC is rife with a biblical plague of them, scattered heavily in every team in the conference except for Vanderbilt.

Which brings me to another point entirely...why the hell is Vandy still in our conference? Does every family need at least one waterhead that lives in the attic and eats fish heads? Why do we keep teams that suck and lose to Navy?

CMJ
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:18:21 PM
Originally posted by Dan the Man
Which brings me to another point entirely...why the hell is Vandy still in our conference? Does every family need at least one waterhead that lives in the attic and eats fish heads? Why do we keep teams that suck and lose to Navy?

Well...yeah every major conference has a perenial whipping boy except for the PAC-10(the other leagues do too usually). Granted, occasionally some of these schools have a winning record, but it's not often.

Big XII - Baylor
SEC - Vanderbilt
Big 10 - Norhwestern
ACC - Duke
Big East - Rutgers

So I guess..yeah you're right. ;)

Figrin D'an
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:52:32 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Big 10 - Northwestern

Lately, I'd say it's been Indiana more so than Northwestern. The Wildcats have at least won or shared a couple of conference titles in the last 10 years. Indiana has been pretty much sucktacular for the last 15+ years, at least.

Figrin D'an
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:31:49 PM
Final from South Bend:

Purdue - 41
Notre Dame - 16

TAKE THAT YOU OVERHYPED, CAN-DO-NO-WRONG, MEDIA-LOVED IRISH PUNKS!!!

:smokin

CMJ
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:38:59 PM
I expected the Boilers to win...but not like that. Good victory Figrin, congrats.

I guess the biggest news so far today would be West Virginia going down. North Texas starts in about an hour against our hated conference foe Middle Tennessee. For a school that isn't really a next door neighbor it's amazing the amount of bile that exists between our two institutions.

Figrin D'an
Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:51:59 PM
The Mountaineers going down was a bit disappointing, but if they were to lose, the Hokies were the likely team to pull it off. It's never easy to go into Blacksburg and come out with a win (even more so after a Hokie loss the previous week).

Not many upsets so far, outside of W. Virginia.

Auburn/Tennessee should be good game tonight. I'm looking forward to that one. Not rooting for either, but just think it'll be fun to watch.

Florida St. looked so much better with Wyatt Sexton at QB than they have in quite a while. Unless the kid has a total meltdown next week or gets hurt, I can't see any way that Chris Rix will get his job back. Between an talented athletic knucklehead and a not-as-athletic heady, smart player that takes care of the football, I'll choose the latter every time. One would think that Bobby Bowden will finally see this as well.

CMJ
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:31:27 PM
North Texas wins!!

:D

Auburn really handed Tennessee their hats....in their house. So much for the game of the day. The Tigers may be for real this season. Maybe all those publications just missed the National title talk by a year.

Cyrel Annat
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:35:56 PM
Speaking of Northwestern, they still hold a 20-17 lead late into the 3rd. I have a feeling that OSU will manage to pull another furry varmint out of their rears by the end of the game, but so far, so good. Be the first Northwestern win over OSU in 25 years (or games). Back to the Nixon era is what I heard on the radio earlier.

Edit: Tied at 27 with less than 2 minutes. Northwestern has the ball but this is shaping up for another squeak win for OSU.

Cyrel Annat
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:41:47 PM
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Northwestern with the upset. Not that I care so much about Northwestern as I detest and loathe OSU. It's about time they come up short. Noah Herron finished with just over 100 yards and 2 TDs, including the winner in OT after Nugent missed a 40-yard FG.

Figrin D'an
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:42:25 PM
The Buckeyes finally lose a close game.

And Nugent missed a 40 yard field goal attempt in OT (even though it ultimately didn't matter since Northwestern got a TD).

The Big Ten is going to be quite interesting this season... Ohio State and Michigan are vulnerable, Minnesota is a rushing machine, Wisconsin isn't explosive but plays tough defense and runs the ball well, and Purdue's offense has looked unstoppable thus far. This'll be intriguing to watch.

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:43:21 AM
USF and Army both lost. There is no joy in Mudville. :(
But VaTech upset WVirginia and dealt a blow to any title hopes they had. These schools HATE each other. Nothing like a local rivalry to bring out the best/worst in two teams. Luckily the Hokies had the game in Blacksburg and didn't have to avoid flying whiskey bottles.

Charley
Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:13:33 PM
Hooray, Bama melts down against the Gamecocks. I want to hang myself. I don't say this lightly, but Shula'd better be looking for a dishwashing job.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2004, 05:32:39 PM
We're probably over halfway thru the big games today. The battle for Lil Brown Jug was a classic, with the Wolverines snatching vicory away from Minnesota AGAIN. Tennessee goes into Athens and upsets Georgia in a pretty good game(with a terrific ending). How good is Auburn having whipped Tennessee in their house last week?

USC vs California was a great game as well. I never really felt like the Golden Bears were gonna win, but they hung tough throughout forcing the Trojans to come up with a late stand at the end. A big defensive effort by SC.

North Texas plays Utah State in about half an hour. Scrap'em Eagles..Go Mean Green. ;)

(I almost went down to the Colesium this morning with my UNT stuff to try and get on Gameday, but I would've had to have left about 5:30 to assure myself a good spot, so when I woke up at 6Am...I decided not to. Smart decision, there were several thousand people there this morning)

Whoops...forgot to mention Oklahoma gave Texas their yearly beat down. I'm not usually critical of Coaches, but Mack Brown gets some of the best, if not the best talent in the country every single year. UT has more resources at their disposal than any other University in the country. He hasn't won squat yet except the A&M game consistently(okay that's big in my old home state) and 1 South division title. I hope they keep him forever.

Figrin D'an
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:09:46 PM
Three Top 10 teams go down. Granted, two of them were playing other higher ranked Top 10 teams, but still... makes for an interesting day of college football.

Georgia losing has to be the shocker of the day. I kind of felt they might have an emotional letdown after their big win last week over LSU, but that they would still be able to win. Have to give Tennessee credit, though... they took the game right at the Bulldogs and were just more physical. With Georgia and Texas going down, Auburn will probably end up, at worst, as the #4 when the new polls come out... they may even jump over Miami for the #3 spot on the strength of how they have performed last weekend and today.

Purdue had a scare today, but gutted out a 20-13 victory against Penn State in Beaver Stadium. Orton had a sub-par game by the insane standards that have been set for him thus far this season (he ended up throwing his first AND second INTs of the year), but he did make some big plays when he had to, and was efficient moving the ball again (over 60% completions and 250+ yards passing). The defense came up big in the clutch, stopping Penn State on a fake field goal attempt, and halting two late drives by the Nittany Lions. Penn State has been very tough at home this year, and they were jacked up for this game (Joe Pa was running around on the sidelines pumping up the crowd all game long). So, it may not look great stats wise, but to go into a hostile place like State College with 100,000+ pumped up fans and come out with a victory is pretty impressive. Mark my words, Penn State will yet ruin someone's season.

Next week... Wisconsin. Undefeated showdown in W. Lafayette. With Minnesota losing today, the winner next week will have the inside track on the Big Ten title.

Charley
Oct 9th, 2004, 08:42:42 PM
This is Purdue's year in the sun, I think. They look great out there.

Didn't watch Bama today, as I was hung over and also at a wedding. We trounced KY, but then again, we were supposed to. I don't feel any more confident in Shula and his coaching ability. Southern Miss will be a much tougher test of our skills next week.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2004, 09:22:32 PM
North Texas wins a nailbiter 31-23. This marks our 20th straight conference win. :D

Figrin D'an
Oct 9th, 2004, 10:06:06 PM
Alright, let's review the Top 25 teams to go down:

#3 Georgia lost to #17 Tennessee
#5 Texas lost to #2 Oklahoma
#7 Cal lost to #1 USC
#12 Florida lost to #24 LSU
#13 Minnesota lost to #14 Michigan
#15 Ohio State lost to #16 Wisconsin
#23 Maryland lost to Georgia Tech
#25 N.C. State lost to North Carolina

A fair amount of movement in the polls should be coming. I don't think Cal will drop at all, if they do, it will only be one or two places at most. Texas may or may not drop out of the Top Ten.

My Top Ten after today:

1. USC (though it's close now between them and OU)
2. Oklahoma (win against Texas pulls them closer to #1)
3. Auburn (might be the best team in the nation right now)
4. Miami (defense will only carry them so far... they'll lose twice yet this season)
5. Virginia (up this high by default, thought they have played fairly well)
6. Purdue (pretty much same as Virginia... I'm not convinced they are really a Top Ten team, but at this point, there's nobody else to put ahead of them... if they beat Wisconsin next week, then they're legit.)
7. Cal (No shame in losing a close game on the road to the #1 team... heck, they probably played better than USC, but just couldn't get it done in the end)
8. Georgia (good lord, talk about a letdown. Tennessee is young, but today the Vols looked like the Top 5 team, not the Bulldogs)
9. Texas (Another year, another loss to Oklahoma)
10. Wisconsin (If the Badgers have found a passing game, like they did today against Ohio State, to go with RB Anthony Davis and that defense.... uh-oh.)

CMJ
Oct 10th, 2004, 09:00:10 AM
Nice top 10 Figrin. If I were a voter, mine would look something like this...

1. USC (Champs until proven otherwise)
2. Auburn (After the Tenn/GA game, this is probably the best team at the moment)
3. Oklahoma(Great team. Really the top 3 are a tossup for me)
4. Miami (FSU win still is large. Not convinced as to their long term success)
5. Purdue (Can't wait for Wisconson)
6. Virginia (It'll be awhile before we know how good they are)
7. California (Great team, might win all the rest of their games)
8. Wisconson (See Purdue showdown)
9. Georgia (Big loss. Let's see if they fold. The SEC is such a gauntlet to run thru.)
10. Utah (You know I had to throw a Mid-Major in the top 10)

Figrin D'an
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:23:31 PM
Awesome news. I read that the ESPN Gameday crew is headed to W. Lafayette next Saturday when Purdue hosts Wisconsin. Combine that with the fact that it's Purdue's homecoming... it's going to be nuts on campus that day.

Go Boilers! Time for the Badgers to get turned into roadkill.

CMJ
Oct 10th, 2004, 03:46:39 PM
Hey, that's terrific man! You gonna make it to the title tilt? :D

Figrin D'an
Oct 14th, 2004, 09:33:29 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Hey, that's terrific man! You gonna make it to the title tilt? :D

Unfortunately, no. The game has been sold out for a while now, and with the hype surrounding it, I'm sure ticket brokers are getting a fortune for whatever might be left.

On another note, what a game tonight in the Orange Bowl. There's no way Louisville should be ranked as low as #17. With the loss, they'll probably drop, which kind of stinks, because they are a lot better than some of the team ahead of them in the polls. Once again, though, Miami pulls out a win at home. I'm still thinking they'll lose twice this season... NC State and Virigina are going to give them problems.

Anyway... heck of a game to watch. Might be the game of the year thus far (with all due respect to Cal/USC last week).

CMJ
Oct 14th, 2004, 10:16:09 PM
It did seem to be a really good game, but I only watched some of it. Right now I'm watching my high school alma mater Denton Ryan get pounded by Southlake Carrol. I'm amazed this game is being televised...but I guess their trying to show the passion of TX HS football with Friday Night Lights being out and all.

Figrin D'an
Oct 16th, 2004, 08:01:34 PM
Well... I knew that Purdue wouldn't run the table and go undefeated, but I certainly didn't expect them to lose in the manner they did today.

Penalties, dropped balls and the offense being generally out of sync for much of the game was a factor. The Wisconsin defense was also a huge factor (that defense is for real, folks... forget Oklahoma or Auburn, the Badgers have the #1 defense in the land for a good reason).

Despite all that, though, Purdue still had a great shot to win. Up by 3 with a little over 3 minutes left, they had the ball, and were having success in the running game, getting first downs and burning the clock. On a third down and short play, Orton rolled out on a bootleg, got the first down, but didn't secure the ball and got jacked up by a defender. The ball came lose, and one of the DBs picked it up and ran 40 yards for a touchdown. That was ulimately the difference in the game.

So disappointing, not necessarily because they lost, but the manner in which it occured. If I have one complaint about the Purdue football program in the recent years, it's that there is a problem with mental toughness. In big game situations, if they don't get a lead early and feel in control right away, a sense of panic sets in and leads to a lot of miscues. I will give credit to the Wisconsin defense... they played outstanding, and I was impressed by Purdue's defense against Wisconsin's running game (the lone bright spot really), but it was a game that Purdue should have won, and they ultimately choked and couldn't get it done.

CMJ
Oct 16th, 2004, 08:53:31 PM
I'm gonna post about this sport, because the baseball game is making me ill.

USC made a statement today...wow. I really thought Arizona State had a shot. Auburn continues to impress me. They dismantled Arkansas(game wasn't even as close as the score).

Uhh how good is Utah? They crushed Texas A&M, who has since looked REALLY good. If the Aggies continue to win - that only gives the Utes credibility.

Wisconson may be the real deal, but I'm not sure they'll run the table - even with a favorable schedule. We'll see.

Florida State looks strong. Is UVA overrated? They definitely got their hats handed to them.

Those are my 1st impressions. I might post more later.

Figrin D'an
Oct 16th, 2004, 09:37:04 PM
Virgina probably was overrated, but they're still a pretty good team. I don't see how Chris Rix will get his job back ever, not with how Florida State has played with Wyatt Sexton at the helm.

I don't believe Wisconsin will run the table, either (they still have to play Iowa and Minnesota, and Michigan State is coming on strong and could give them some problems). They'll lose at least one of those games. At this point, though, the Big Ten title is theirs to lose, even with Michigan still undefeated in conference play (which isn't going to last... hopefully starting next week). The Badgers have to hope that Erasmus James and Jonathan Welch aren't hurt very badly, because without them, the Wisconsin pass rush disappears. It was a night-and-day difference for Purdue's offense when those two left the game with injuries. Had they been able to play the whole game, I don't think the Boilers would have been able to move the ball at all, much less have been in the game (as much as it pains me to admit that).

My Top Ten (as of right now)

1: USC (they quelled any doubts with the stomping of Arizona State)
2: Oklahoma (tougher going against K-State than expected, but they also remembered they have Jason White at QB, and actually used him).
3: Auburn (if they're not undefeated headed into the game against Georgia, it'll be a monstrous upset... still playing better than anyone else right now)
4: Miami (overrated, but they did make the comeback against a very good Louisville team. I still think they'll lose twice)
5: Wisconsin (best defense the Big Ten has seen since the '99 Penn State squad with Lavar Arrington and Courtney Brown. It'll carry them far, but they need to be able to run the ball better than they did today)
6: Florida State (good, not great... up here by default)
7: Georgia (moves up with Purdue and Virginia losing)
8: Cal (how good does that close game against USC look now?)
9: Utah (with Louisville losing, they're the last hope for a potential BCS buster)
10: Texas (took the best shot from an up-&-down Missouri team and pulled out a win)

Charley
Oct 17th, 2004, 09:52:53 AM
My thoughts for this week:

Please somebody tell me why Miami is ranked as high as they are. They don't deserve to be number 3, and it really shows.

I think I was the only person who knew that Auburn vs Arkansas wasn't even going to be close. The way that Arkansas fails to defend the rush, and the enormous amount of rushing talent in Auburn's backfield, its just inevitable for the pigs to get spanked.

HAHAHAHA OHIO STATE HAHAHAHAHA

I'm genuinely shocked that Bama beat up on Southern Miss the way we did. Of course we had some DUMB things happen in that game. (Going for it on the Golden Eagle 30 with 4 yards to go, what? Also, Pennington is a machine that cranks out interceptions in the dumbest way possible. I'd really love for us to pass, but if that happens, hell no)

As for Purdue...you broke my heart :(

CMJ
Oct 17th, 2004, 01:19:04 PM
Where is Gameday going to be next week? Two weeks from yesterday there are going to be a few showdowns, but I'm not sure there are any this coming weekend.

CMJ
Oct 30th, 2004, 06:36:41 PM
No comments last week by anyone. I'd be surprised, but it was pretty much a chalk filled week(and alot of us were focused on the World Series). Some upsets today - the biggest of which is Florida State going down.

Some other highly ranked squads are in trouble. It's only a matter of time. No way do 7 teams stay undefeated, despite what the Gameday folks say. ;)

(Oh and North Texas is looking pretty good tonight - yeah baby!)

CMJ
Oct 30th, 2004, 08:47:45 PM
The Miami Hurricanes go down in flames. Six unbeatens as of now, but Auburn is in a dogfight.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 30th, 2004, 09:29:29 PM
Good Miami wasn't that good of team. Right now I say it will be USC vs Oklahoma. USC only really has Notre Dame in their way. And OU only has Nebraska and the North Big 12 champion which looks weak this year.

CMJ
Oct 30th, 2004, 11:16:19 PM
Despite Texas A&M losing tonight to Baylor - they will be a very tough test for Oklahoma. Kyle Field is one of the toughest places to play once the 12th Man gets its dander up. Remember 2 years ago OU got beat by a mediocre Texas A&M squad in College Station...and the year they won the National Title they almost got beat down there.

If I were to rank a top 10 I'd say....

1. USC
2. Auburn
3. Oklahoma
4. Wisconson
5. California
6. Utah
7. Georgia
8. Miami
9. Texas
10. Boise State

That said, I don't know WHO will play USC in the Orange Bowl. I'm currently leaning towards Wisconson believe it or not. Auburn has a minefield they still have to play - Georgia(rival), Alabama(rival), Tennessee(SEC Championship). I have my doubts about the Sooners, so the Badgers look like the team next in line.

Lots of football left to be played.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 30th, 2004, 11:25:58 PM
I forgot about Texas A&M. Still they survived the team that plays them the hardes OSU. They always give them a battle. I think they will beat Texas A&M and if they do they will be playing USC for the title. The Northern teams stick and OU will cream that team.

CMJ
Oct 30th, 2004, 11:49:02 PM
Well Nebraska will probably win the North - and yeah they're not exactly scaring anyone these days. But, lest we forget KSU was given about a 1.3% chance of upsetting the Sooners last year. ;)

Still...if Kyle Field is rocking, Oklahoma will get all they can handle. The Aggies got beat BAD last year. So they have the revenge factor, along with OU having a letdown after an instate rival(BTW A&M laid the wood to OSU a few weeks ago).

It just seems like a trap game to me. To be honest Texas A&M losing to Baylor sets it up even more so as a danger game. Franchione will be busting his squad all week for that upset. As of now it's a total tossup for me.

Figrin D'an
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:04:29 AM
USC is the clear #1 in my opinion. Everyone else has some issues that need to be addressed for them to potentially run the table and get to the Orange Bowl. Oklahoma has pass coverage problems, especially in the middle of the field. Auburn isn't most dynamic of offenses, but they have been more consistent and solid that anyone besides USC... they're remaining schedule is going to be brutal, though. Wisconsin has some landmines left too (Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan State). If I had to pick the two best teams right now, it would be USC and Auburn. Besides USC though, I don't know who else will ultimately make it to national title game.

I just about threw up after watching my Boilers today. There are a lot of really pissed off Purdue fans right now, and not at the team, but at the coaching staff. There is already a big push for Jim Chaney, the offensive coordinator, to be fired, and everyone wants to know what on earth Tiller was thinking when he benched Orton in the 4th quarter. Three weeks ago, Purdue was 5-0, #5 in the polls and flying high. Now, they're a complete mess and can't even beat a lower tier Big Ten team. They have three games left, and to be honest, they're going to be lucky to win one of them. Whatever confidence they had is completely gone, and after what happened today, I don't see how it's going to come back.

Cyrel Annat
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:07:01 AM
Well, with Purdue and Minnesota both losing again today, the Big Ten - unfortunately - is down to two teams. Wisconsin and Michigan. Of course, in true Big Ten fashion, the two best teams in the conference will not play each other. Michigan has Northwestern at home against Ohio State in the Horseshoe. Thus far, the Wolverines are not exactly impressive, and not to take anything away from Michigan St., but that shouldn't have gone to OT.

Wisconsin has home against Minnesota, at Michigan State, at Iowa. Oddly enough, though it is an extreme long shot but one I must favor, Iowa could sneak into the top spot in the conference, though I don't foresee them running the table the rest of the way. Although home against Purdue and Wisconsin and at Minnesota is about as favorable a schedule one could ask for - as far as where you're playing those teams. Sadly, injuries will likely be their downfall.

At this point, I'd say that Wisconsin has the best shot for the Conference title, though they have been known to blow it in the past. Should be fun to watch the rest of the way.

CMJ
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:09:25 AM
Yeah, I always kinda pull for Purdue be cause of you Figrin - and yall have really gone in the tank. It's rather shocking actually.

North Texas extended their conference winning streak to 22 in a row. Looks like another trip to the New Orleans Bowl is in the cards. We're going to be on ESPN2 on Friday night...so be sure to watch everyone. ;)

Figrin D'an
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:12:37 AM
Originally posted by Cyrel Annat
Oddly enough, though it is an extreme long shot but one I must favor, Iowa could sneak into the top spot in the conference, though I don't foresee them running the table the rest of the way. Although home against Purdue and Wisconsin and at Minnesota is about as favorable a schedule one could ask for - as far as where you're playing those teams. Sadly, injuries will likely be their downfall.

I am very much dreading Purdue's trip to Hawkeye country next weekend. After what I witnessed today... injuries or not, Iowa is likely going make this stretch even more miserable for the Boilermakers.

Cyrel Annat
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:18:02 AM
Well, the latest that I just checked said that Aaron Mickens, Iowa's FB, was taken off the field and to the hospital and that Champ Davis, a kid that they were planning on redshirting until everyone else got hurt, may also be done for the year. 5th and 6th backs to get hurt this year. I believe that the kid they got running the ball now is a walk-on. Not certain. 4th on the depth chart at the start of the season. Thank God that Iowa has a good defense. 4th in the nation against the run before today's game and they only gave up 58 yards. I never expected them to win as they have thus far, pretty much chalking this season to rebuilding with Tate at QB, but he's doing decent thus far. I'm sure his mistakes will arrive when the title is within their grasp.

CMJ
Oct 31st, 2004, 11:30:22 AM
Who is everyone's Heisman pick at the moment? If I had a vote - Reggie Bush would recieve it.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 6th, 2004, 06:31:10 PM
OU won in a shootout 42-35. I think they should go unbeaten now. They get Nebraska and Baylor next two weeks those are two W's. Might get Nebraska again in the Title game. Biggest upset of the day is Notre Dame over Tennessee. Big win for the Irish. Honestly this season could end in Controversy if we have 5 unbeatens in USC, OU, Auburn, Wisconsin, and Utah. Sure, Utah has almost no chance but they would end the year unbeaten. I think this is what college football needs to shake things up.

CMJ
Nov 6th, 2004, 06:41:43 PM
Oklahoma really showed me a lot today. Texas A&M gave them two breaks early in the second half, but other than that it seems as though the Sooners were outplayed(we didn't get the game out here). Kyle Field is a hard place to walk into and come out with a 'W'.

I guarantee there won't be 5 unbeatens. There may be more than two however.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 6th, 2004, 06:46:55 PM
I think Utah will stay unbeaten but that don't help them any. Looking at the schedule Auburn has the hardest schedule since they will get Georgia who is still a very good team, and Tennessee. USC's toughest opponent is Notre Dame and who knows which Notre Dame team will show up. The one that can beat Michigan and Tennessee or the one that can't beat BYU or Boston College. OU has the easiest schedule they have Nebraska and Baylor and what looks like Iowa state (they just have to win one game and they will probably clinch the crappy north) in the title game. Wisconsin still has a tough game with Iowa left, along with Michigan State.

CMJ
Nov 6th, 2004, 08:27:20 PM
I'm not going to say who will lose...just that it's highly unlikely all 6 current unbeatens(you forgot Boise State) will stay that way.

Cyrel Annat
Nov 6th, 2004, 09:09:23 PM
Another win for Iowa, though they tried hard at the end to give it away. Can't believe that they had three chances starting in Purdue territory and couldn't put it into the endzone, botching two of the three FGs they attempted as well. Next week will be the big test with them going to the Twin Cities to play the Gophers. Granted, Minnesota's lost a few now, but they'll be tough at home.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 7th, 2004, 05:32:11 PM
I forgot about Boise State no clue why. Well I think Utah is a lock their final two teams are terrible. After that I have no clue. Although OU looks to have a very good chance.

CMJ
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:28:28 PM
Most likely to lose IMHO

1. Auburn
2. USC
3. Wisconson
4. Oklahoma
5. Boise State
6. Utah

I'd be amazed if the Tigers can run the table. Georgia/Bama/Tennessee in consecutive weeks? Wow. Though I do think they are better than all 3 schools.

USC still has 2 rivalry games. Notre Dame could be dangerous if the one that showed up on Saturday comes to play. USC/UCLA will be a battle.

Wisconson still has Iowa to go. Oklahoma has a mediocre Nebraska and perhaps Iowa State in the Big XII title game. Then a gain we thought OU would roll KSU. That sure happened.

I don't think Utah or BSU will be challenged, though Wyoming IS 6-3 and may give Utah a game.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 06:42:46 PM
Well Wisconsin is done for the National title. Have no idea how they let MSU blow them out. Auburn had a big win over Georgia, still they better not get too emotional with Alabama coming up.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:15:55 PM
Oklahoma has a decent sized lead over Nebraska at the moment. I think Auburn will close the gap in both polls, but I'm not sure they'll leap the Sooners. However, if they get close enough the computers could vault them over OU.

Boise State barely avoided the upset..as did Texas(Grrrrrrr). The Ohio State/Purdue game was pretty exciting from what I saw(I was mostly watching the AU/Georgia game at the time). Texas A&M and Tech had a good old fashioned barn burner. Boston College looks like they'll go to the BCS....

The most important game of the day? North Texas can wrap up conference for the 4th year in a row. Things are looking good so far as we near halftime. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:19:01 PM
Cool that is a big achievement CMJ :) about OU I think the computers have them heavly favored over Auburn right now, not sure what happens after this weekend. Still, with the new system they added I think as long as OU stays #2 they will be playing in the Orange Bowl. And I don't see OU losing their in any of their last three games. So right now Auburn really needs USC to lose to Notre Dame other wise I think it's OU vs USC in Orange.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:28:31 PM
That's not really what the analysis I've read says. Most people think if Auburn wins out they'll leap OU. If we totally went by how teams looked this year - I'd say the Tigers should be #1. But pollsters are influenced by how they rated the teams at the beginning of the year. Since USC/OU never lost they're still 1-2 even though Auburn has been the best school all year IMHO.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:45:26 PM
I think USC is the best but who knows sometimes teams don't show up especially in a big game, so honestly anything can happen.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:53:31 PM
Well...I would rate the Trojans #1 based on the defending champion angle...but Auburn has been the best team all year long IMHO. You can make a case for Oklahoma, USC, or Auburn though.

If this Utah game can ever get started we'll see if they can move up. The Badgers loss definitely helps the Utes...who should move up into the #6 slot.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 07:56:17 PM
I think between that and Georgia losing Utah should get a BCS bid if they win out. They have no shot at a national title though. Auburn, USC, and OU could all lose and Utah still wouldn't be playing in that game.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:00:02 PM
I think between that and Georgia losing Utah should get a BCS bid if they win out. They have no shot at a national title though. Auburn, USC, and OU could all lose and Utah still wouldn't be playing in that game.

I agree...but if that scenario occurs Boise State might end up in the top 6 with Utah. That would be hilarious...:)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:06:49 PM
Heh yeah it would, although I think Cal would go to a BCS game over Boise. Not sure where Texas fits in to this.

Figrin D'an
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:13:08 PM
To me, if Auburn finishes the season undefeated and isn't in the national title game, it's further evidence that pre-season polls need to be abolished. No polls until they are needed to compute the first BCS rankings (ie, the second week of October).

Nothing against USC or Oklahoma, but Auburn's level of competition is higher than either of them. Getting through the SEC without a loss would be much more impressive than the same feat in the Big 12 or Pac-10.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:31:30 PM
I'm against pre-season polls too. But they sell newspapers and all those preseason magazines. :rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:31:32 PM
Actually I think it shows the need for a playoff system. If there are three unbeatens from major conferences how really can you argue that one of them don't belong in that game?

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:33:43 PM
Actually I think it shows the need for a playoff system. If there are three unbeatens from major conferences how really can you argue that one of them don't belong in that game?

A fair playoff system will never be agreed to...which is why I don't want one.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:35:01 PM
well any playoff system if fairer than the way it is now. But that is my two cents.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:40:05 PM
well any playoff system if fairer than the way it is now. But that is my two cents.

Nope, because it will further relegate the Mid-Majors to mediocrity. A playoff system with 8 schools(winner of the 6 major conferences with 2 at large) would probably kill all the other bowl games within 10-15 years. That would probably bankrupt the Mid-Major conferences and member schools...because we would have absolutely nothing to play for.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 08:50:51 PM
I know how you feel but I honestly hate the bowl system. To me it is all about money now and I think that doesn't equal the "best teams." This is why I like Pro football better because there is an actual champion. With College there is a lot of years where there is some doubt. I just don't like that. This is of course just my opinion. I am sure though there is some compromise solution.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 09:01:09 PM
A 16 team playoff would include every conference champion plus at large schools. You'd never and I mean never get the major conference(or networks) to agree to that because they'd have to share all the money. Within a relatively short amount of time(say 15 years ) the Mid -Majors would totally catch up - which the networks don't want..because they can't sell our names. The reason they(BCS schools) have such superiority now is because of exposure...and the fact you can win a National Titile there. A true playoff would eliminate both of those things.

The deal is...not only do BCS member institutions not want this...most casual fans don't either. That's why I don't give a flip if the "casual" fan wants a playoff. They don't care about us at all.

Also...I like the fact the regular season means so damn much in college football.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 09:05:25 PM
I understand your point but I rather see a playoff system like NCAA IAA has or Divison 2 or like College Basketball. It makes it more certain. You don't have polls dictating who the best team is. Really that is what I hate. The best team is determined by a coach or a sportswriter not on the field.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2004, 09:13:09 PM
I understand your point but I rather see a playoff system like NCAA IAA has or Divison 2 or like College Basketball. It makes it more certain. You don't have polls dictating who the best team is. Really that is what I hate. The best team is determined by a coach or a sportswriter not on the field.

Yes..and Divisions IAA, II, and III have true playoffs where all conference champs are represented. That's my point. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2004, 09:15:39 PM
True maybe one day we will see some kind of playoff system I think it will be years though I don't expect one within next 5 years right now.

Figrin D'an
Nov 13th, 2004, 11:48:21 PM
Bottom line, a D-1 playoff system of any kind won't occur until the university presidents and the NCAA want it, and right now, there is precisely zero support for it in those two arenas, for the reasons that CMJ stated.

Originally posted by CMJ
Also...I like the fact the regular season means so damn much in college football.

This is a compelling factor as well. Every game, each week, is so important. Even one loss can take a team out of the national championship race. The guard against upsets so much more intense and vigiliant than in any other major sports league, and when they do occur, they have a much more far reaching effect.

I don't think the bowl system is perfect, but to be honest, I think it's a lot better than most playoff pundits want to admit. The BCS, while flawed, is criticized a lot more than it probably should be. Whenever someone I know rants about the BCS, I ask them if they would rather go back to the old Bowl Alliance system, which was even more of a mess. At least under the current system, there is an effort to get #1 against #2 in a major bowl game, rather than let the pollsters sort it out afterward. It's a step in the right direction, which, given that drastic change won't happen anytime soon, is about all that we can ask for.

CMJ
Nov 14th, 2004, 12:42:38 PM
Auburn really narrowed the gap in this weeks Coaches poll. Oklahoma only has a 2 vote lead now. Going off of that I expect Auburn to be #2 in the AP.

Figrin D'an
Nov 14th, 2004, 05:07:22 PM
Auburn and OU are tied for #2 in the AP poll, and like CMJ said, they closed the gap big time in the coaches poll, trailing OU by only 2 points. I expect that Auburn will still be 3rd in the BCS standings tomorrow, but if Auburn beats Alabama next week and then wins the SEC Championship game, I have to believe that the enough voters will be swayed into putting them ahead of Oklahoma. The Sooners play Baylor, then whomever wins the Big 12 North, so Auburn has a big advantage in strength of schedule. USC has Notre Dame, then cross-town rival UCLA, neither of which is likely to test them.

USC and OU have the easier roads to perfection, but if Auburn gets there as well, it'll be a much more impressive feat IMO.

And, Utah has only BYU standing between them and a perfect season, and with Georgia and Wisconsin losing, they will be in great shape for BCS bowl bid (probably to the Fiesta Bowl) if they win next week.

We're looking at a very strong possibility of having 5 undefeated teams at the end of the season (USC, OU, Auburn, Utah, Boise State).

CMJ
Nov 14th, 2004, 07:37:33 PM
None of the undefeateds should lose in the next couple of weeks, and yet logic tells me that at least 1 will go down. We entered the last weekend of the season in '98 with three undefeateds and only one came out that way when the dust settled. Other years yielded similar results.

I'm not gonna "call" an upset(yet), just don't be surprised if someone goes down this week or next. Especially with all the rivalry games on the horizon.

General Dan
Nov 14th, 2004, 11:04:22 PM
Auburn will meet their waterloo next week.

(I hope :()

CMJ
Nov 14th, 2004, 11:07:49 PM
Originally posted by Dan the Man
Auburn will meet their waterloo next week.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Neither would UCLA upsetting USC in acouple of weeks....or Utah losing to BYU.

I think BSU and OU should come thru unscathed - which means of course that those will be the two schools to lose. ;)

Figrin D'an
Nov 14th, 2004, 11:23:57 PM
Bama had better bring it's A++ defensive game, and force turnovers like crazy, if they want to have a shot. UCLA could pull off the upset against USC... UCLA does have a very good running game... but USC would have to be complacent as well, and given that they are now just 2 games away from a guarenteed shot at the real national title, it's hard for me to see them having that kind of meltdown. If it were to happen, it'll happen this week against Notre Dame, rather than next week against the Bruins.

Oklahoma could lose half their roster to injuries and still beat Baylor and whatever pathetic team wins the Big 12 North. I can't remember a team having an easier 2-game stretch to finish off an undefeated season.

CMJ
Nov 14th, 2004, 11:40:52 PM
Rivalry games are never guarantees. I've seen many a favorite go down in flames. Didn't a 3 win OSU beat the Sooners about four years ago? Crazy things happen in these contests...especially on the road.

Even OU should stay on guard. I remember in 1996 when an 11-0 Nebraska met a 7 win Texas team and lost. I think the Huskers were favored by over 20 going in.

Once again...I don't know if any of the undefeateds wll lose, but I've seen it happen sooooo many times I just can't fathom all of these schools finishing out their seasons with no losses.

Figrin D'an
Nov 15th, 2004, 12:07:54 AM
I know it's hard to believe that all of them will get through the next couple of weeks without getting burned. I remember the '98 season as well as anyone, and I've seen plenty of rivalry upsets myself. USC and Auburn could both lose... two rivalry games for the Trojans, and a rivalry game plus a rematch in the conference title game for the Tigers. I just personally don't think it will happen. I know it goes against historical trends (they were saying on College Gameday on Saturday that the historically-based chances of USC, OU and Auburn all finishing perfect was about 26%). The chances of OU losing are slim to none. Sorry, but Baylor, and then either Colorado or Iowa State in the Big 12 title game? Unless the Sooners sleepwalk through those games, they'll win both without much trouble. Their downfall will be their lack of quality opponents down the stretch of the season.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 15th, 2004, 10:21:00 PM
OU will go unbeaten they might play a team with 6 wins in the title game. That is how bad the Big 12 North is. USC and Auburn are different stories. USC needs to worry about Notre Dame. The Irish have been the most unpredictable team all year. They lose to an average BYU team. Then turn around and beat Michigan. Get blown out by Purdue then turn around and walk all over Michigan State. Lose to BC and Pitt and then beat Tennessee in Knoxville. They could really pull the upset in that game.

Figrin D'an
Nov 18th, 2004, 11:17:45 AM
ESPN is reporting that Stever Spurrier has agreed in principle to take over the South Carolina football program from Lou Holtz in 2005. Holtz has indicated recently that he wanted to step down and retire.

If this does indeed take place, the SEC will become even more difficult a conference to navigate during the season. Spurrier will have South Carolina in a BCS bowl game in 3 seasons max.

Cyrel Annat
Nov 20th, 2004, 04:56:34 PM
Another thirty grueling minutes of waiting and hoping. It would likely be one of the more impressive seasons in recent years considering where the Hawkeyes were picked and all the injuries. The simple fact that they are in a position to claim a share of the Big Ten Championship is great. Now, if they can just keep it up the rest of the game, I'll be immensely pleased.

Figrin D'an
Nov 20th, 2004, 05:52:13 PM
It amazes me how Iowa has managed to win the Big Ten or at least be in the mix at the very end almost every year recently, despite injuries and player turnover. Kirk Ferentz is best coach in the conference, IMO. He may not have the wins (yet) that Barry Alverez does, or a national title and tons of talent every year like Lloyd Carr or Jim Tressel, but there's no one else in the Big Ten (maybe even the nation) that finds ways to maximize his team's potential like Ferentz does.

Ohio State beating Michigan was classic... a perfect example of why rivalry games are a completely different animal, especially when true freshman are in key roles. I know Chad Henne and Mike Hart have played great for Michigan this year, but unlike the other games they played... this was THE game, against Ohio State, in the 'Shoe, with everything on the line. The pressure got to them, and when Ohio State started to get the momentum, one could see that Michigan was in trouble.

Purdue capped it's rather disappointing regular season by putting a woodshed whipping on Indiana. They looked like the team that started the season 5-0, instead of the one that had lost 4 of 5 before today. The bowl game streak will stay alive (8 times in 8 years under Tiller), but it's hard not to think about what could have been. Four losses by a total of 10 points, three of them directly caused by miscues in the worst possible moments. *sigh* Here's hoping that next year, they can find the tenacity necessary to finish games.

Cyrel Annat
Nov 20th, 2004, 05:57:15 PM
Part of Ferentz's gameplan is the importance of the first 5 minutes of the third quarter. Tonight, they dominated the 3rd quarter with 2 INTs and 1 Forced Fumble and Recovery, and just now another 4th down stop. 24-7 Iowa to start the 4th quarter. The lack of a solid running game is the only thing right now that still keeps me nervous, but they've found a way every other week, not sure why it should stop now. Great season given the circumstances.

Cyrel Annat
Nov 20th, 2004, 06:47:12 PM
And it's official. It is simply amazing what this team was able to accomplish this year. One more game on New Year's Day will complete it.

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2004, 07:17:28 PM
Auburn played realy well, but I don't think they'll gain much ground(if any) this week. While the Iron Bowl is maybe the nastiest rivalry in the country, I don't expect an 8 point win over a 6-5 school will garner alot of respect.

How to pick the top 2 teams from an other board

"I say lock all 3 teams in the Palace at Auburn Hills and see which 2 teams can clock the most drunken Pistons fans first."

:lol :lol

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 20th, 2004, 08:10:41 PM
LOL that is hilarious. I guess we will have to see how USC fares next two weeks and what OU and Auburn can do in their championship games.

Figrin D'an
Nov 20th, 2004, 08:55:38 PM
I know this may sound kind of ridiculous, especially considering that last week I was convinced that all three (USC, OU, Auburn) would finish undefeated, but I think USC needs to be careful, particularly coming out of a bye week to play a Notre Dame team that is looking to make sure it gets a bowl bid. Ty Willingham, despite some struggles at South Bend, has a knack for getting his teams to be competitive in games in which they appear to be severely outmatched (such as against Michigan and Tennessee this season). USC needs to be on upset alert next weekend.

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2004, 09:03:56 PM
I'm actually kind of getting an upset vibe from that game myself. Of course only about half of those are ever right so take that with a grain of salt.

Utah is about to clinch a BCS Bowl slot. This is a triumph for all the little guys (like myself) everywhere. Go Utes!

Figrin D'an
Nov 20th, 2004, 09:19:41 PM
I would love to see Utah in the Fiesta Bowl against a big-time opponent, just to see how they match up. It's going to depend upon what happens over the next couple of weeks and the final BCS standings. If Auburn finishes 3rd, then I expect it to look like this:

Rose: Michigan vs. Cal
Sugar: Auburn vs. ACC winner (Miami, VA Tech)
Fiesta: Boston College vs. Utah
Orange: Oklahoma Vs. USC

If Auburn can jump the Sooners, then it should be this:

Rose: Michigan vs. Cal
Sugar: Boston College vs. ACC winner (Miami, VA Tech)
Fiesta: Oklahoma vs. Utah
Orange: Auburn vs. USC

Of course, if USC should be upset, then it's gonna be all messed up. ;)

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2004, 10:16:20 PM
The thing that is fascinating to me is Boise State will probably move up to #7 in the next rankings(because Michigan and Florida State should fall behind them). If say - Texas loses to A&M and forcing BSU up into the top 6, does Cal lose the Rose Bowl?

Figrin D'an
Nov 20th, 2004, 11:52:10 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
The thing that is fascinating to me is Boise State will probably move up to #7 in the next rankings(because Michigan and Florida State should fall behind them). If say - Texas loses to A&M and forcing BSU up into the top 6, does Cal lose the Rose Bowl?

No... cause Cal would still be in the Top 6 of the BCS... they'd be automatic as well. In theory, the only way to account for that would be to take away a bid from a major conference winner who is outside the BCS Top 6... ie, Michigan, the ACC champ (Miami, VA Tech) or the Big East winner (probably Boston College). ;)

But, of course, because the six major conferences have contracts for automatic bids... Boise State would not get in.

It would be a big problem, yes. I'm not sure what the "first tiebreaker" is in that case, but I'm guessing it's automatic bids for the big conferences, then Top 6 BCS by standing.... so, the #4 Cal team would get the nod over a #6 Boise State team. But that's pure speculation on my part

CMJ
Nov 21st, 2004, 12:16:59 PM
No... cause Cal would still be in the Top 6 of the BCS... they'd be automatic as well. In theory, the only way to account for that would be to take away a bid from a major conference winner who is outside the BCS Top 6... ie, Michigan, the ACC champ (Miami, VA Tech) or the Big East winner (probably Boston College). ;)

But, of course, because the six major conferences have contracts for automatic bids... Boise State would not get in.

It would be a big problem, yes. I'm not sure what the "first tiebreaker" is in that case, but I'm guessing it's automatic bids for the big conferences, then Top 6 BCS by standing.... so, the #4 Cal team would get the nod over a #6 Boise State team. But that's pure speculation on my part

I think at large teams from Major conferences have to be top 4 of the BCS to be guaranteed a BCS Bowl game. So I'd assume that since Utah would also be top 6 BSU would be excluded - but I'm not 100% certain.

I just hope the Horns lose on Friday. It's hard to think of a team(or school) I despise more than UT. ;)

Charley
Nov 21st, 2004, 04:23:44 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Auburn played realy well, but I don't think they'll gain much ground(if any) this week. While the Iron Bowl is maybe the nastiest rivalry in the country, I don't expect an 8 point win over a 6-5 school will garner alot of respect.

Hahahahahaha you have got to be kidding me. When has the spread or the rankings of the teams in the Iron Bowl meant a damn thing?

CMJ
Nov 21st, 2004, 04:33:28 PM
Charley...I meant from the voters...not from ME. Look at the polls...Auburn lost ground in both this week, so obviously I was right. :p

Figrin D'an
Nov 21st, 2004, 05:16:26 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Charley...I meant from the voters...not from ME. Look at the polls...Auburn lost ground in both this week, so obviously I was right. :p

It's clear though that, even in the AP, a lot of voters didn't watch the games. They just looked at the final scores. Had they actually observed the Iron Bowl and OU/Baylor, it would have been clear that Auburn's win over Alabama was more impressive that Oklahoma's win over Baylor. Alabama has a pretty darn good defense, and Auburn still rallied in the second half, on the road, in a rivalry game.

Auburn will likely need a very solid (ie. beat the spread) win over Tennessee in the SEC title game ot overtake OU in the BCS.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2004, 05:30:28 PM
Yeah I agree with you Fig that is the only way that it is possible.

Figrin D'an
Nov 27th, 2004, 02:59:44 PM
Lots of upsets already taking place... Syracuse is hammering Boston College, likely knocking them out of the BCS; Kentucky is a few minutes away from beating Tennessee in Knoxville (the Vols are still headed to the SEC title game no matter what happens though); Pitt beat West Virginia yesterday, as did Arizona take out Arizona State.

I still think USC needs to be careful tonight. This has the feeling of one of those strange college football weekends when up becomes down and teams with no chance step up and ruin the seasons of their rivals. On paper, USC should obliterate the Irish, and with a chance to showcase themselves on national TV, one would think they would play well... I guess we'll see. In 1998, we had three teams head into the final weekend undefeated, and only one came out without a loss. One of the big three this time (USC, OU, Auburn) is going to lose before the bowl season starts.

Figrin D'an
Nov 27th, 2004, 03:02:28 PM
And, of course, right after I post that, Tennessee drives down the field to score a TD and take the lead with about :30 seconds left in the game. Looks like the Vols will escape what would have been a huge upset.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 27th, 2004, 05:31:45 PM
Yeah that was huge. Another upset, kinda of, Missouri over Iowa State denying them to go play the Big 12 title game. Looks like Coloardo vs Oklahoma now. I agree USC better watch out tonight that is the best chance of an upset, IMO, of the three teams major unbeatens.

Figrin D'an
Nov 27th, 2004, 11:17:46 PM
Well, for the first quarter and a half, it looked like Notre Dame was there to play and USC looked sluggish. USC woke up, though, and turned it on in the second half to win convincingly. So, things shape up like this for next weekend:

#1 USC plays UCLA
#2 Oklahoma plays Colorado
#3 Auburn plays #15 Tennessee

Of those three, Auburn is likely to have the toughest game, simply because after the embarrassment the Vols suffered earlier in the season against Auburn, they'll be ready to play. And, given that Auburn knows they have to win big to have a chance to overtake Oklahoma, the pressure will be on, and they may not play their best game.

Although, I think Colorado has a chance to give the Sooners tough game next week... much better than Iowa State's chances would have been. Colorado at least has athletes, and can run the football well. If they can control the clock, they'll have a chance against OU.

Soap Box Rant: For all the complaints about how an undefeated team may get screwed out of a national title shot, what really is messed up is the situation Texas is in. Ranked #5, having lost only once (to #2 Oklahoma), they'll be left out of the BCS because there isn't a spot for them, while a 3-loss unranked Pittsburg team is probably going to be in the Fiesta Bowl because of the Big East automatic bid. Sorry, but that's garbage. There needs to be a provision put in that teams have to be ranked in the Top 15 to be eligible for a BCS bowl, regardless of the automatic conference bid.

CMJ
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:32:17 AM
Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch many of the games this weekend, because the folks were around and we were doing family stuff. It's funny for the last month I was the one certain that either USC, Oklahoma, or Auburn would lose...Figrin was the opposite. Now our opinions have switched. :cool

The school I felt the worst for was Iowa State. They hadn't won a conference...or even division championship since the Titanic sank. And quite honestly...the blew it. That game was theirs. I bet some Cyclone fans threw themselves off a bridge.

Cyrel Annat
Nov 28th, 2004, 01:00:41 PM
Not that I'm a die-hard fan, having gone to school and generally cheered for their rival the Hawkeyes, I found myself quite depressed after that game yesterday, especially after the forced fumble and return to the 15. Missing a 24-yard FG is very tough to swallow, granted the kid was a freshman, but still. The distance was a touch longer than an XP and all he had to do was kick a little to the left and he ended up sending it straight, if not a bit right off the right hashmark. I like Dan McCarney as a coach, and I think he's got the program on the right track. It would just be nice for him, to be able to finally get over that hump.

As far as Texas goes, I agree that the BCS is a joke and have said so since it's beginnings. Heck, let's face it. If Colorado beats Oklahoma, doesn't that put Colorado in a BCS bowl game due to the fact that they won the Big 12? If fortunes had changed and Iowa State had won yesterday, then managed the miracle upset next week, wouldn't they have as well? With 5 or 6 losses on the year?? That's when you know things are messed up.

Mack Brown's one hangup is that there is one team that he cannot beat, and that screws him every year. I'm all for conference winners getting bowls, but like Figrin said, make sure that they have a suitable record for the bowl they're going to. 3 losses isn't BCS material.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2004, 05:34:42 PM
Actually I don't think Colorado has a chance against Oklahoma. Colarado is a smash mouth team that runs the ball a lot. That won't work against the Sooners. What ever you think of their defense it is a fact their strength is against the run. It is the pass that is their achilles heel. And in that regard Coloardo is no match for them. USC is a different matter.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:31:05 PM
Willinngham got fired today. To me that is shameful. It isn't his fault Notre Dame isn't good any more. The problem with Notre Dame is they have very high acedemic standards. Higher than like 90% of the schools. They can't get the best players any more that is just a fact. To fire a coach because they can't win because he doesn't have the best players sure isn't his fault.

CMJ
Nov 30th, 2004, 01:57:07 PM
No coach should be fired after only 3 seasons unless you're going 0-11 every year. I'm actually sort of surprised...ND has always honored first contracts.

JMK
Nov 30th, 2004, 02:07:31 PM
Rumor has it that he also somewhat wanted to leave. When he was offered the job the felt obliged to accept it because it would have finally given an African-American a prominent coaching position. Despite his trepidations he accepted the job and stuck with it for 3 years until today. We will never know to what extent he was either fired or resigned.

Figrin D'an
Nov 30th, 2004, 04:37:42 PM
Although it will be widely denied by the school, a contributing factor to Notre Dame canning Willingham is that Urban Myer has a clause in his contract at Utah that he can leave if the Notre Dame job opens up. Notre Dame needs offense, that's what Myer is all about... the Irish will push hard to get him now.

Notre Dame's lack of success on the field has little to do with the school's academic standards (which, BTW, are greatly overstated). It has to do with the simple fact that they haven't changed with the times in terms of their on-the-field philosophy and their recruiting efforts. The days of a Notre Dame coach giving a kid a phone call, saying "Come play for the Irish" and having it work are long dead. Recruiting is much more cut-throat and competitive now, and with the big programs being unable to stockpile talent like they once could, the talent pool is spread out amongst a greater number of programs because now nearly every school in a major conference, not just a few elite programs, has a good chance at landing a few blue-chip players every year. In the 1990's, programs like Florida State, Miami, Florida, and now teams like Oklahoma and USC, etc, understood the changing recruiting landscape and adapted. Notre Dame didn't, because they live in a bubble of past glory and think that the the old tradition of Notre Dame football can still trump anything that any other school can offer.

Ty Willingham is a good coach, and his system was moving the program in the right direction. He had problems recruiting, though. If Notre Dame wants a chance to return to it's former glory, they need to change with the times, and do the following:

1) Understand that Notre Dame's tradition means about jack squat to most top level recruits now days.
2) Hire a Mack Brown/Bob Stoops/Pete Carroll-like coach, who can recruit like mad.
3) Join a conference. Independents are disappearing fast, and for a pretty clear reason.

JMK
Nov 30th, 2004, 05:06:25 PM
I wonder if Notre Dame has lost recruits due to other school's boosters, the allure of going to a party school, the persuasion parties with hookers and booze...I wonder if Notre Dame has played that game in order to recruit, and if they haven't, will they start to?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:04:00 PM
Yeah Notre Dame is no party school. I agree they should join a conference. I think they should just join the Big East in football they could possibly dominant that conference.

Figrin D'an
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:04:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=1935406

Interesting read. I mostly agree with what Forde has to say. The fact that the race card is going to played in this will be rather annoyinig, but beyond that, Notre Dame pretty much screwed Willingham, themselves, and their credibility.

Two more coaches... Indiana's Gerry DiNardo and BYU's Gary Crowton were fired today. It also looks like David Cutcliffe will be fired by Mississippi. Between the NFL and college ranks, the coaching carosel is going to be massive this year.

Anuis Ma'artra
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:30:42 PM
I'd like to see Ty at my alma mater. Illinois needs a coach who can get a team to play defense for more than just one series of downs per game. Of course I wouldn't complain about Zook becoming the Head Coach or Jerry Kill from SIU (which would be hilarious as we have taken Southern's Baseball, basketball and chief of police in the last 10 years)

I just want a coach who will put the emphasis of his team on defense. A mediocore team with a stellar defense will always outperform a mediocore team with a stellar offense.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:45:43 PM
Ty will find a job pretty quick I don't think he has anything to worry about. Honestly Notre Dame alumn might be kiding themselves. Knute Rockne could rise from the dead and he couldn't get this team past 8 wins.

CMJ
Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:24:39 AM
Forever? Surely you're kidding. ND just won 10 games two seasons ago. Whether it's realistic or not, that's what the Irish expect every year. It's been 18 years since they won a National Championship in South Bend. The natives are getting restless.

They shoulda kept Ty. But if Urban Meyer really goes to Notre Dame I think he'll just add on to the improvements(recruiting and revamping the 'O) that Willingham started.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:20:15 AM
I don't think I said forever, it is just going to take a long time. I think they are years away from national contention with the current roster they got.

Figrin D'an
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:08:57 PM
LMAO... more egg on the face for Notre Dame.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1937879

This is hilarious. Not only did they create a PR mess by dumping Willingham after only three years, but the coach that they had been swooning after... the guy with ties to Notre Dame and the clause in his current contract allowing him to leave without penalty if the Irish job were offered to him... is heading to SEC land to coach the Florida Gators.

*SLAP*

The Irish just got punked again. And I'm loving every minute of it. :cool

JMK
Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:20:35 PM
They put all their eggs in one basket and they've been severely burned for it. Oh well. Gotta give the Gators credit though, man was that ballsy of them to make the offer and steal Meyer away.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:33:31 PM
Show how stupid they are. I am guessing they will go after Butch Davis right now. He is the best coach on the market at the moment.

CMJ
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:21:53 PM
Alot of huge games tommorrow. Honestly though, I'm more psyched about watching Army/Navy than any of the Championship games. It's usually a close game...and is probably my favorite rivalry in all of sports.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2004, 07:47:31 PM
USC is in already barely beating UCLA 29-24. OU -Colorado has the early makings of a rout. OU is up 14-0 and driving for another score. Auburn is leading Tennessee 21-14. But if OU routs Colorado no way does Auburn play for the title.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:13:00 PM
The way OU is playing I can't see them being denied a title game trip.

CMJ
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:21:40 PM
USC barely snuck that game out. That sealed Auburn's fate either way(they're in a dogfight now 28-21 after 3 quarters). Such a shame...I think they're the best school this season.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:24:41 PM
Well one of the three was going to get the short end of the stick. It sucks for Auburn.

Figrin D'an
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:40:20 PM
Auburn might end up losing yet, so in that case, there won't be any complaints about who should or shouldn't play in the Orange Bowl. Tennessee is fighting hard in this one, and might pull it out.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:42:08 PM
Yeah Tennessee is sure giving them all they can handle. If Auburn loses I guess that ends the argument for this season.

CMJ
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:45:02 PM
Yep...and I can't believe it but I'm actually kind of pulling for the Vols at this point. I don't want that controversy this year. :\

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2004, 08:52:01 PM
Just as we say Tennessee can win Auburn adds another TD. I don't think they can come back. There will be controversy this year. If it is any cosolation though I don't think it is going to change anything.

CMJ
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:07:58 PM
After this I gotta say there is no question in my mind Auburn is #1. Unless they blow out VA Tech in the Sugar Bowl and USC or OU win close(giving the AP a reason to change their mind) the Tigers won't get a piece of the title. Oh well, sucks for them - but it's not quite Penn State in '94.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:18:01 PM
Still there is no way we could know. Auburn could have gotten beat by either USC or OU it is impossible to say for sure.

CMJ
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:24:42 PM
I agree. Who knows? It IS possible that the AP could give the Tigers a piece, but like I said...even if they don't it's not as bad as when PSU got jobbed in '94. The Nittany Lions were one of the best college teams I've ever seen period. I still can't believe Nebraska was undisputed champs that year.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 4th, 2004, 09:31:51 PM
Yeah that was really ridiculous, that showed how bad it was back then.

CMJ
Dec 5th, 2004, 04:32:53 PM
So, we gonna have the Bowl competition this year like the last couple? Two years ago Jedieb won and last year I did. It's been fun both times.

Figrin D'an
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:14:19 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
So, we gonna have the Bowl competition this year like the last couple? Two years ago Jedieb won and last year I did. It's been fun both times.

Sure... I'll organize something later this week.

Only surprise so far is that Texas jumped Cal to get the Rose Bowl slot against Michigan.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2004, 05:39:39 PM
Yeah that is because Cal played poorly against Southern Miss. That hurt them. So who is going to win the heisman?? If he wasn't a freshman I say Petersen from Oklahoma he has been amazing this year.

Figrin D'an
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:19:57 PM
Sure... I'll organize something later this week.

Okay... I lied. I was bored, so I put up the thread right away. Feel free to start picking games.

Figrin D'an
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:26:36 PM
So who is going to win the heisman?? If he wasn't a freshman I say Petersen from Oklahoma he has been amazing this year.

This has been one of the more lackluster Heisman years, IMO. The guys considered the real contenders are decent players with okay stats, but like last year, no one really stands out as exceptional

The Heisman is so overhyped that a lot of people just don't care anymore, and I count myself among them.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:45:27 PM
Pertersen and Bush are both outstanding players, IMO although both are underclassmen and that could hurt them.

CMJ
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:48:49 PM
I'd vote for Reggie Bush, but I think White will probably win his 2nd in a row.

Figrin D'an
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:54:45 PM
I agree that Bush and Peterson have been outstanding, but they aren't real contenders, simply because of the situation at hand. It's going to come down to Jason White and Matt Leinart, with the winner being whomever has the teammate (Peterson or Bush) who takes away the fewest votes from him.

For me, I knew I had lost all interest in the Heisman Trophy when, even earlier in the season when Purdue's Kyle Orton was considered the favorite, I was sick of hearing about it. It's more overhyped than any MVP award in any other sport or league, and it rarely goes to the actual best player because of the fools that make up it's voting pool and their insistance to adhere to stupid traditions (like not giving it to underclassmen).

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 21st, 2004, 10:39:09 PM
Well the BCS might be dead with the AP saying they will not participate any more in it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=1951170

I kind of like the committe approach it works in basketball. Maybe this will one day lead to a playoff system is my hope.