PDA

View Full Version : Hero

General Dan
Aug 27th, 2004, 10:44:44 PM
Anybody seen it yet?

Best movie of 2004 I've seen currently (because Kill Bill 2 is 1/2 a movie :))

Probably better done in cinematography terms than the Thin Red Line or any other film I've seen. Its five times the movie that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was.

That being said, it's thick on communist propaganda like chicago-style pizza is thick on cheese.

If that's not your bag, whatever. I was still able to enjoy it, commies or no.

Best propaganda movie since Triumph of the Will

CMJ
Aug 27th, 2004, 11:01:47 PM
Really stylistic and if you're a cinematography fan(like me) you're gonna almost orgasm at some of the images. Seriously, it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. The fight cheorography was astounding - easily trumping CTHD.

That said, I didn't think the Rashoman-like plot line was particularly involving and didn't care about any of the characters very much. Kind of an empty shell I thought.

Still a wonderfully entertaining flick. I'd probably give it 3.5 stars out of 4 just on the energy factor and images.

General Dan
Aug 27th, 2004, 11:08:24 PM
Yeah, the characters are almost hollow shells. Jet Li's character might as well be a mannequin that does kung fu, and the other three major characters aren't much more than that.

Its one of those concept movies. Its art-house propaganda, and it's gorgeous to look at.

CMJ
Aug 27th, 2004, 11:14:46 PM
Yeah, and from what I understand the US release has even more hollowed characters(10 minutes were cut I believe). I saw the original version about a month ago.

Knowing the right people can be cool at times. :cool

General Dan
Aug 27th, 2004, 11:15:37 PM
I've heard the opposite, that the US release was done so intact.

CMJ
Aug 27th, 2004, 11:18:55 PM
Hmmmmm, how odd. I guess I might have to go see and compare to what I remember. I swear I'd read that the US version was skimmed down with the "fat" cut.

Shawn
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:24:06 PM
The US version is pretty much intact. I haven't seen it myself to compare, but the only change I've heard of is that "All Under Heaven" was changed to "Our Land". I suppose they think that will make more sense to American audiences somehow. :huh

It's a gorgeous movie and no one will tell you differently. The Wire-Fu bugged me the first time I watched it, but I still enjoyed it, overall. And before you start: Yes, I understand the reasons for Wire-Fu. It just breaks the suspension of disbelief for me. I don't really have a problem with people flying around and stuff, but I want it to at least look plausible.

I'll probably get around to catching it in theaters sometime soon.

Grev Drasen
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:27:19 PM
I doubt Tarantino would let Miramax touch the film.

He's so big into film that he doesn't even do commentaries because it takes away from the director's work. Even if they edited the film I doubt it will make any difference at all in the story.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:27:58 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
I haven't seen it myself to compare, but the only change I've heard of is that "All Under Heaven" was changed to "Our Land". I suppose they think that will make more sense to American audiences somehow. :huh

I can verify this. Its really not that big of a deal. The chinese can sometimes have a really indirect way of saying what they mean.

Shawn
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:34:12 PM
Perhaps I need to see it in context, but "All Under Heaven" makes more sense to me. Especially if you watch other films about the subject. (eg, The Emperor and the Assassin)

Drake Shadowstalker
Aug 28th, 2004, 04:33:07 PM
My friends and I saw this movie, and none of us cared for it in the slightest. The fighting was completely ridiculous because of all the flying around and walking on water crap. And wtf was up with the all the leaves being blown around by that one lady? Plus the ending sucked.

Eve
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:11:42 PM
... Dang. I'm not sure why you even bought tickets for such a movie. Alien vs. Predator is also playing at a theater near you.

I thought the movie was excellent in all the ways already stated. Just saw it. It was much better than CTHD. It's pure art.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:27:17 PM
Loved it. The whole movie was like CMJ said, completely beautiful.

I loved the fact that in each version of the story the characters are wearing a different color scheme.

Drake Shadowstalker
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:34:36 PM
AVP was alot better then Hero. If I want to see people flying and sailing through the air, I will watch Super Man or Spider Man.

Grev Drasen
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:39:36 PM
Originally posted by Drake Shadowstalker
AVP was alot better then Hero. If I want to see people flying and sailing through the air, I will watch Super Man or Spider Man.
Wow.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 28th, 2004, 08:49:17 PM

WHAT.

No wonder Hollywood keeps on producing warmed up crap.

I for one cant wait to see Hero. I rather like quality fim making.

Droo
Aug 29th, 2004, 11:22:21 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
I for one cant wait to see Hero. I rather like quality fim making.

x2

Cirrsseeto Quez
Aug 29th, 2004, 02:07:44 PM

HAHAHAHA

Pierce Tondry
Aug 29th, 2004, 08:10:56 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville

I loved the fact that in each version of the story the characters are wearing a different color scheme.

To my mind, the was a corollation between the purity of the colors and the purity of truth in the stories.

The movie was exquisite and it had me crying at the end. I am sure Eve noticed me sniffling and puffy-eyed, but she was nice enough not to poke fun. :)

Dutchy
Nov 28th, 2004, 06:11:15 PM
Just saw it. Visually stunning, emotionally distant, very distant. I liked it for the wow-factor. Some scenes were no less than gorgeous to look at.

Mu Satach
Nov 30th, 2004, 08:38:03 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville

Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
To my mind, the was a corollation between the purity of the colors and the purity of truth in the stories.

yeah, there was
red == imagination
blue == perceived reality
green == enlightenment / peace
white == truth
black == death

A loooooong time ago when their was still the official site up (I can't find it now) I read that the director had someone camped out in the area where the leaves scene was to be filmed waiting for the leaves to turn the right color so they could know when to cruise to the location for filming.

The only other film I've seen of Yimou Zhang's is Huozhe (To Live) and that one just about broke my heart.

Drake Shadowstalker
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:30:05 AM
I still think it's one of the stupidest movies ever. Say what you will but everyone I know personally that has seen it doesn't like it.

Shawn
Dec 1st, 2004, 02:12:12 AM
I still think it's one of the stupidest movies ever. Say what you will but everyone I know personally that has seen it doesn't like it. Well if you and your friends think it sucks, it must be true! :| You've said your peace, now please stop.

Charley
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:09:54 AM
I still think it's one of the stupidest movies ever. Say what you will but everyone I know personally that has seen it doesn't like it.

Weren't you also the guy who thought AvP was the best thing since sliced bread? :)

Pierce Tondry
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:46:50 AM
Originally posted by Charley
Weren't you also the guy who thought AvP was the best thing since sliced bread? :)

I know it's "different strokes for different folks" but I laughed at that. AvP was like a fast food movie.

Drake Shadowstalker
Dec 1st, 2004, 01:01:22 PM
I merely stated that I liked it much better then Hero. But I like nearly every movie more thean Hero, so that isn't saying much.

Dutchy
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:10:44 PM

Now there's a Jonathan argument if I ever saw one. :p

Darth McBain
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:22:25 PM
Originally posted by Dutchy
Now there's a Jonathan argument if I ever saw one. :p

:lol

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 1st, 2004, 04:24:17 PM
AvP was a disgrace of a movie. I'm a hardcore fan of the original Predator, and I have to say I was completely disappointed that Hollywood saw fit to "modernize" the Predators. The movie would have been so much better if they adapted the original AvP comic - It was much larger in scope and much more interesting.

About Hero, I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but I want to eventually. Everything I've heard about it indicates that while yes, heavy-handed in Commie propoganda though it is (I'm a Communist anyways), the cinemetography and whatnot are first-class.

Shawn
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:27:01 PM
Honestly, the communist propaganda didn't bother me at all. It's simply the beliefs that the characters held, and it even has its merits.

For an interesting take on the same mythology, check out "The Emperor and the Assassin". It's the polar opposite of Hero; Very little action, very slow, and it paints the Emperor in a completely different light.

Vice
Dec 4th, 2004, 11:39:52 PM
Dummest movie I ever saw in my life.A better movie was Chrnicles
Of Riddick.I was dissapointed i thought that Hero was going to be good but it wasnt at all there wasnt one part that was good.I dont see how anybody can like thi stupid movie.

JMK
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:39:18 AM
That's a very intelligent post considering many people here have already explained why they liked it.

Vice
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:05:40 PM
I just didnt like it very much.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 5th, 2004, 12:44:41 PM
I first picked up on something back in Seattle while still in college, and thought it might be relevent to mention with the subject matter of this thread. I'm not intending to insult anyone's tastes in movies with this observation, it's just my own opinion and that of my friends back in Seattle.

Anyway. Yes, I'm an anime fan, and yes, I love movies that are like Hero (which is why I really want to see it, it's just lack of funds that have prevented that atm). But it seems that alot of America is only interested in slick moves, big explosions, and inordinate amounts of action. Not that that's a bad thing; I like those too, but I also like the movies that really draw you in and move you - movies that address the more quiet, artistic, and thought-provoking aspect of cinema. One anime that I thought was very good at that was Evangelion. I know it's not many people's cup of tea, but for me, that whole series was wonderful (subbed, of course). It seems to me that alot of American audiences just aren't willing to put forth the patience to really think through a movie and try to come up with their own interpretations of what is happening. They want the explosions, the cussing, and the gunfire RIGHT NOW.

While I enjoy movies that are just plain fun to watch, I also like movies that really make me think. I like those long still shots and quiet moments in movies; to me, they help to add depth to what is happening.

I hope that makes some sort of sense :\

J'ktal Anajii
Dec 5th, 2004, 11:27:36 PM
I thought the color scheme was a little different than that. If I remember correctly, the Bhuddist rainbow says that green is the color of justice, blue is the color of grief, and red is the color of joy and/or celebration. In such a sense, we see that the green view is the ultimate form of what justice should eb served, the red is what he wants the Emperor to believe, and blue has the most tragic parts.

I have seen this movie twice, and already had seen The Emperor and the Assassin, so I had a decent knowledge of the subject matter. The first time I watched it I was left neither pleased nor disappointed, but watching it a second time was far more enjoyable. An excellent take on the format of Rashoman.

Anuis Ma'artra
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:09:23 AM
I think it also has alot to do with the amount of stress American's put on themselves. This isn't to say that other cultures don't have stress as well, but american's deal with it differently. Most cultures have some sort of ritual during the day that involves some sort of stress reliever, British have tea, Spanish/Latino's have siestas, commies have daily propoganda (j/k) but even though I'm generalizing here, it seems most cultures have a form of stress relief in their daily ritual, we have our entertainment. We dont' want to think, we don't want to watch a movie and say "geez, that was something I hadn't ever really thought about" most of us just want to see something that doesn't happen in real life because it's an escape from all the bad stuff that happens in our daily routine.

ehh, at least that's my opinion.

Hero rocks!

Gav Mortis
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:25:58 AM
The British have tea? I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the trainwreck that is your logic process on what you've just said. You've lost the plot, I'm afraid. Seek help. :cool

Anuis Ma'artra
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:05:23 AM
Yes you have tea, its in all the movies I see and that must make it true!!!!!!

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:30:49 AM
What is it, Lt. Sebastian?

Well, it's the Rebels, Sir... they're here.

Good God man! Do they want tea???

Sarr Koon
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:39:03 PM
Originally posted by Vice
Dummest movie I ever saw in my life.A better movie was Chrnicles
Of Riddick.I was dissapointed i thought that Hero was going to be good but it wasnt at all there wasnt one part that was good.I dont see how anybody can like thi stupid movie.

Thank you, sir. Finally someone on this board who sees things the way I do. Chronicles of Riddick is cool :)

Pierce Tondry
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:50:40 PM
Heh, I lost interest in "cool" movies a long time ago. I'd rather have my mind engaged for one to two hours than simply distracted.

Shawn
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:04:00 PM
I liked Pitch Black, I liked TCOR: Dark Fury, but The Chronicles of Riddick was stunningly mediocre. They spent 3/4ths of the movie on a worthless sub-plot and then rush together an uninteresting ending. I wanted to like it, too. :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:18:12 PM
Peter Chung + pretty much anything is going to equal a good viewing :)

Mu Satach
Dec 9th, 2004, 07:40:20 PM
Originally posted by J'ktal Anajii
I thought the color scheme was a little different than that. If I remember correctly, the Bhuddist rainbow says that green is the color of justice, blue is the color of grief, and red is the color of joy and/or celebration. In such a sense, we see that the green view is the ultimate form of what justice should eb served, the red is what he wants the Emperor to believe, and blue has the most tragic parts.

I have seen this movie twice, and already had seen The Emperor and the Assassin, so I had a decent knowledge of the subject matter. The first time I watched it I was left neither pleased nor disappointed, but watching it a second time was far more enjoyable. An excellent take on the format of Rashoman.

I can't find the site I pulled my color definitions off of... but I think the colors are open to interpretation, make a good enough case about what you think they mean, boom, you've got a paper and a valid point. (one reason why I like writing papers on films and books.) ;)

I personally can't wait to see House of Flying Daggers (http://www.sonyclassics.com/houseofflyingdaggers/)