PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 6th, 2004, 07:46:22 AM
Surprised no one's nailed a thread up about this game yet.

Well, a legal version (Chris'), loaded and been playing for a few hours now.

What can be said? well, it's certainly at the basic a pretty standard FPS. Zombies, ghouls, demons. Sort of like if you know SWG is not really much more than a std grinding MMORPG.

However, Doom 3 has somethign a lot of other games totally lack. Immersion. Your sucked in and frell me if it doesnt give you a genuine fright. There's points where your wandering along and a bloody demon grabs at you from under the floor. I dont scare easy and yet, I did yelp at a few points.

It is a difficult game to play. Points where your blind and have to switch from flashlight to a gun really leave you open for damage. You can get lost pretty easily, although you can work out where you are eventually. Standard id control keys makes picking up the game however nice and easy.

If your familiar with Doom, Doom 3's storyline wont surprise you. However, the plot as it exists is embellished failrly interestingly.

I found myself confused as to what was going on. This was intentional I believe on the designers behalf - it helps with gameplay and atmosphere. It helps you feel your really there.

There are some classic bits of humour in the game itself. Martian Buddy, spam emails... nice touches. Reading PDA's for clues to codes or where to go, data terminals adds to the realism too.

AI is pretty standard, except now and then there's a nasty surprise as your attacked from behind, or an enemy proves to be exceptionally mobile or intelligent. Soem zombies for instance are dumb. Others duck, weave, dodge, hide, ambush.

Graphics are first class, so is sound. On my system, medium quality on 800x600, there were a few pauses, but nothign to be really troubled. It's advised you have plenty of memory. Doom 3 makes no excuse that it's a bit heavy on a system, but it's supposed to be next gen game engine. If medium quality is so good, imagine what Ultra quality must be like.

What this adds up to is a true gaming experience. It maybe a FPS, but it has something different, exciting and scary.

As an old time Doom fanatic, this is a great re-visit back to Mars and the demon invasion. For once a game company gave us what they promised.

Darth Viscera
Aug 6th, 2004, 08:07:59 AM
I can't work up the courage to jump back in and continue playing the game. Doom3 makes me feel as though there are insects crawling on my skin, and people staring at my reflection in the monitor.

Also I'm stuck and can't figure out where to go next. That gets tiresome really quickly.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 6th, 2004, 08:54:09 AM
I got stuck (that's when I did initial post), but careful walkign about sorts things out.

To give an idea why I just saved and exited, I was in a bathroom. I'm tiptoeing in, not knowign what to expect. I see zombie. Bang. I come in slower, turn ready to fire...

Ahhh, that's my reflection in a mirror. Okay, phew. Must be nervous if I'm prepared to shoot own reflection. Relax. Turn

Yelp loudly and jump as two zomies leap out of a toilet stall in an ambush.

Full marks for a) the trap and b) the scare. Just one example on why this game is so good.

Yog
Aug 6th, 2004, 09:49:29 AM
Yes, this game keeps amazing me. Especially when it comes to frights. Having a long gaming career going from commodore 64, the Amiga and the many years of PC gaming, I can say the immersion, atmosphere and pure tilt factor in this game is among the all time best. Its a classic.

You know the devs paid a torturing amount of attention to detail when you start noticing stuff like dust particles realistically floating in front of the flashlight cone of light. You know its a scary game when someone like me who does not easily get frightened or startled keep getting caught with the guard down, experiencing a genuine scare as I was playing the mainrole in a horror movie which never seem to end.. the tension, fear and excitement just builds up in scale as you progress.

The graphics are fantastic. Lighting appears some of the most realistic I have ever seen. If you think this game looks good in screenshots, wait until you see it move. The 3D modelling and special effects puts those direct X 8-9 instructions to maximum use. The locations are cleverly designed, with great immersion and atmosphere. The ambient sounds are flat out the best ever produced in any game on this planet. I start wishing for a surround sound system to give the experience full justice. There is not a single quiet moment in this game. From the electrical hum of a lightbulb about to die out, the pssssshhh sound of a burst gaspipe, the draft whispering through an airduct or a monster growling in some dark corner, ready to jump at you, before you can figure out where it is.. it has to be heard to be believed.

Anbira Hicchoru
Aug 6th, 2004, 10:00:22 AM
More or less scary than SS2?

Darth Viscera
Aug 6th, 2004, 10:38:10 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
I got stuck (that's when I did initial post), but careful walkign about sorts things out.

To give an idea why I just saved and exited, I was in a bathroom. I'm tiptoeing in, not knowign what to expect. I see zombie. Bang. I come in slower, turn ready to fire...

Ahhh, that's my reflection in a mirror. Okay, phew. Must be nervous if I'm prepared to shoot own reflection. Relax. Turn

Yelp loudly and jump as two zomies leap out of a toilet stall in an ambush.

Full marks for a) the trap and b) the scare. Just one example on why this game is so good.

You must have missed the first bathroom horror then.

I walked into a bathroom, shined my flashlight around, didn't see anyone there. I look into one of the stalls just to make sure it's clear, then turn to go. On my way, I stop at the mirror. Odd, so that's what I look like. A space marine. Semper fi, do or die, gung ho, gung ho, gung ho.

MuwhuhuHAhahaha!!

The laugh is sinister, as if it came from the mouth of the very devil himself. I still remember that laugh at night. It's omnipresent, as if the sound is hitting me from all sides at once.

My vision turns from pitch black with only the flashlight's conical ray of light for illumination, to distorted blood red, as if my eyes have begun to bleed profusely. My reflection changes in the blink of an eye, and what I see staring back at me looks like nothing if not a rotted corpse, standing erect in my body armor.

Strange, spherical ghost-like things fly past in the bathroom. My vision returns to normal, and then I hear it. A horrifying growl, footsteps coming towards me. I turn around, see nothing but the pitch black. Wait, there's something there-the shadows aren't quite right. It's not just air between me and that wall 10 feet away. I turn my flashlight back on.

There, standing 5 feet in front of me, is an imp. It growls again, swipes at me, but I've already started away. I back into an open stall, maybe 10 feet further into the bathroom. Regaining my senses, I unsling my shotgun, aim at the imp as it walks steadily towards me, and pull the trigger.

Nothing. Curses, the shotgun is out of shells. Reload, quickly! The imp is on top of me now, almost literally, as it must be 7 feet tall. I can feel the breath from its nostrils on the skin of my arm as I reload.

There, 2 shells loaded. I aim at the imp, fire one shot point blank straight at its chest. It lands on its back, dead before it hit the ground, a smoldering hole in its chest. It burns up quickly, and soon the only thing left of it is ashes on the bathroom floor in the shape of a demon.

So my point is, don't look at the mirrors! :uhoh

Jared Mriad
Aug 6th, 2004, 12:32:11 PM
I can't play this. I mean, c'mon... 384MB Ram minimum? Currsesss! :cry

Anbira Hicchoru
Aug 6th, 2004, 12:54:43 PM
RAM is pretty cheap dude.

Jared Mriad
Aug 6th, 2004, 12:57:25 PM
Not when one's in the process of school fees, a new truck, and insurance payments coming up. :\

AmazonBabe
Aug 6th, 2004, 01:01:28 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
More or less scary than SS2?

So far, watching Joe play, it's been pretty on par.

Though I have to admit that SS2 did creep me out a wee bit more.

As for the game, Joe pre-ordered it and got it a day early from it's initial release date. He's been playing it every night since. I can now predict that when I come home, he's playing Doom3 and nearly crapping his pants as he goes through the game.

He actually has a blog where he made a funny article on it... just a humorous point/counter-point.

Hope you enjoy. :)

Thursday, August 05, 2004
Point/Counter-point: Doom 3
Point: I Hate This Game!
By Fred Hicks, Doom 3 Player

COMPUTER ROOM, 3AM - Oh, crap did you hear that? I swear I heard something. Where was it? It sounded like it was coming from over there. Phew, there's nothing there. I could have sworn I heard something. There it is again. Did you hear it. It sounds like it's coming from... right behind me! There he is! Die you stupid zombie scum! Eat lead!!!

Oh sh--, that really freaked me out. Ok, I'm calm, I'm calm. Just have to press on. What was that? Did you see that? Up there. I could've sworn I saw something go crawling up that wall. There it is again over there! Eat lead! Oh, wait, that was just the shadow of something. Those boxes over there, I think. Those boxes and that mechanical arm, and that thing behind- oh crap! What the hell is that thing?! It's hideous! Die you SOB! Taste my shotgun! Weird, it disintegrated into ashes when it died. What the hell was that? It was hideous. It had, like, twelve eyes or something.

What's that noise? It sounds like someone talking. Is that one of the people I'm supposed to find? It's coming from this room over here filled... with... candles.... That's kinda weird. And there's some sort of symbol on the ground. It looks like a.... Oh sh--, it's a pentagram! What is that noise? It sounds like evil cacklinig! Oh, sh-- more of those things! Where'd they come from?! Die you mf-ing SOBs! Die! Die, die, die, die, die! Ok, I'm good now. Just need to reload all my guns. Ok, press on.

Something looks weird here. What's up with the atmosphere? It looks awfully thick and hazy. Ew, what's that guy covered in? It looks like... silk. Spider... silk. Of, f---, that's not haze, that's cobwebs! Oh sh--, oh sh--, oh shi--, oh shi--. Ok, stay calm. What was that? I thought I saw long spindly legs! Do you hear that, it sounds like it's coming from- all around me! Oh crap! Die, you spider scum, die! Say hello to Smith and f-ing Wesson! Go back to hell, you vile pieces of sh--!

That was seriously freaky. I hope I don't run into any more of those. Ok, where to next? Oh, wtf? What happened to the lights? Where are the lights? I can't see a thing. It's pitch black! Ok, stay calm. I have a flashlight. Oh, what the hell? Where's my gun? I can't have a gun and flashlight at the same time?! Oh, f---! Ok, I can deal. Keep moving.

OMG! What's with the f-ing evil cackling? Aaaa!! WTF are these things? They have two heads! Gotta use the shotgun! Ok, I've got my shotgun, just try to come near me. Crap, I can't see anything without the flashlight. What the-? I think I hear one. Die scum! Oh, crap, nothing there. Okay, where are you, you mf-er. Back to the flashlight- Oh, crap! There he is! Shotgun, shotgun, shotgun, where's my friggin' shotgun! Die you piece of sh--! Die! Die! Die!

Ah, sh--. I just crapped my pants. Third time tonight. This game sucks.

Counter-point: I Love This Brain- er- Game.
by Gurk, Zombie-Demon

UNION AEROSPACE CORPORATION, MARS RESEARCH FACILITY, 2145 - Grrrrruuuuughghghgh. Graaaarrrrggh! Grraaaaagh! Brains. Brains! Need human brains! Urrrg.

What you bid me, master? Who I should eat? Mrruuuugh! Human! Human brains! Delicious human brains! Come here, delcious human brains! *Rip, claw, shred, tear, eat eat*

Brrruuuuuugh. Brains good. Find more. Find more brains. Need more human flesh. Guuuurgh. Human! Come here human! Dark master wants you! I wants your brains. Your brains! Your delicious brains. *Rip, chew, claw, shred, eat, eat, eat*

Hhhgguuughgh. Must feed on flesh! Wait, Grok has flesh. Will eat Grok! Come Grok! Your flesh tasty! Grrraaargh! *Claw, claw, rip, tear, shred, chew, chew chew*

// posted by Joe @ 8:08 PM

Yog
Aug 6th, 2004, 01:07:38 PM
Thats hilarious :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 6th, 2004, 08:21:23 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
I can now predict that when I come home, he's playing Doom3 and nearly crapping his pants as he goes through the game.
That sounds messy. :uhoh

Article was funny :D

Morgan Evanar
Aug 7th, 2004, 03:46:45 AM
SS2 is the better game, but Doom3 is probably just as scary.

Charley
Aug 8th, 2004, 07:50:33 PM
That's quite a feat then. SS2 scares me more than any three horror movies.

Kelt Simoson
Aug 9th, 2004, 05:24:14 AM
Never been a Doom fan, its just 'load weapons and fire' theirs no brain power needed for the game unless they changed that in this one.

Charley
Aug 9th, 2004, 06:22:46 AM
Originally posted by Kelt Simoson
Never been a Doom fan, its just 'load weapons and fire' theirs no brain power needed for the game unless they changed that in this one.

Considering its been about a decade since the last one, I'm probably not going out on too much of a limb in saying that they changed a whole hell of a lot of things.

This is like saying "I don't like Doom, because it isn't mouse enabled or 3D accelerated."

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 9th, 2004, 09:18:53 AM
Yes, they have changed a lot.

Kelt, frankly, summing up Doom 3 as just another FPS is doing the game a cruel injustice. I am finding it a mental challenge. It's a challenge to stay in the game when your heart's going a billion beats a second after a piece of wall dropped behind you and scared the living bejeezes out of you.

It's when your creeping along, nearly out of ammo, genuinely fearful what's around the corner, the place is dark and hard to see, there's noise behind you.... pleasenonotnowImgonnadieohf..... now that's Doom3.

And you know what's amazing? You switch to God mode for some fun and it STILL scares the living whatzit out of you. Your replay and you knwo whats coming and your STILL scared. You dont want to go around the corner, but you know you must, but your scared what's coming.

:D :D :D

The Man in Black
Aug 9th, 2004, 09:54:37 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Telcontar
Yes, they have changed a lot.

Kelt, frankly, summing up Doom 3 as just another FPS is doing the game a cruel injustice. I am finding it a mental challenge. It's a challenge to stay in the game when your heart's going a billion beats a second after a piece of wall dropped behind you and scared the living bejeezes out of you.

It's when your creeping along, nearly out of ammo, genuinely fearful what's around the corner, the place is dark and hard to see, there's noise behind you.... pleasenonotnowImgonnadieohf..... now that's Doom3.

And you know what's amazing? You switch to God mode for some fun and it STILL scares the living whatzit out of you. Your replay and you knwo whats coming and your STILL scared. You dont want to go around the corner, but you know you must, but your scared what's coming.

:D :D :D

Haha I noted this effect in System Shock 2 as well. After I beat it fair & square the first 2 times, I then played through and cheated till I went crosseyed.

Still scary :( Oh so scary :cry

Kelt Simoson
Aug 9th, 2004, 03:40:41 PM
I shall give it a go. I guess i played Halo and Max Payne so ill check it out, though i am a very big stealth fan, i take it theres not much of it in this?

Lady Vader
Aug 9th, 2004, 04:53:13 PM
You can be as stealthy as you like, but it won't save you from the creatures aiming at you from nooks and cranies.

And just because you've gone through a section already, killing everything in site, doesn't mean that when you come back through, everything will still be dead. Say hello to randomly generating baddies. >D

AmazonBabe
Aug 10th, 2004, 09:43:02 AM
Ok, I take back what I said. Doom 3 is definitely scarier than SS2. Watching Joe play the level he was on last night had me so tense, I hadn't realized I was digging my nails into my palms. O_o

Barbannis-Wolf
Aug 11th, 2004, 06:29:35 AM
I only just got Doom 3 about a week back ... Tis quite jumpy i must admit :D I jumped like every single time something came sneaking up out of the darkness, the worst part that makes it even more of the scariest is the torch effect, that you need the torch so much, i have it quick keyed so i can flick it out the instant those stupid lights just blow out ... and it happens so often!

The worst part porbably so far would have to have been somewhere in the corners ... i was trying to collect some fallen ammo from the ground ... and of course the lights were flickering too which made it even worse .. then all of the sudden you could hear the moans and groans of a zombie ... but turning up, i could not see the bugger ... then what do you know, he just appears just as i turn the torch on :mad Blah ... not a good sight indeed :p ... so i blasted him with my pistol >D

Probably the most stupid of all things i could have done was try to kill three monsters with one grenade by throwing it around a corner with the sights of a few odd placed explosive barrels :) ... Well, i didnt know the windows could break ... but i did know that there is no air out there ... I got shown the hard way of course :p

Definantly a great game!

And theres my little two cents

- Barbannis Wolf -

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 16th, 2004, 05:31:07 AM
Turns out my stepfather bought this, and upgraded the PC, while I was away on holiday :D I'm looking forward to playing it, but at the same time I'm not. I get scared so easily that I think it'll probably take me weeks just to get through the first level.

AmazonBabe
Aug 16th, 2004, 04:52:05 PM
Just remember to look in the direction you're not looking. :D

Drake Shadowstalker
Aug 19th, 2004, 01:26:52 PM
I had a chance to play this game at a friends house. I don't jump much during movies, but I left my chair a few times while playing Doom 3. Overall I really enjoyed this game, however I'm not gonna pay 50 dollars for it. Perhaps when it drops to 30 I will buy it. It's demanding on hardware to. Without the top of the line vid card, the graphics can't be turned all the way up.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 25th, 2004, 07:00:37 PM
One of my roommates has Doom 3. I sat down and watched him play it for maybe a half an hour. That stuff will rattle your nerves something fierce. That is one stinkin' nasty game.

Zasz Grimm
Jan 29th, 2005, 01:49:32 AM
I bought it, really haven't got that far. Graphics are on low, with a few things adjusted via advanced so I won't lag as much (lol my PC sux)

WoW always sidetracks me from playing it. But I saw it for like 25 bux at Walmart. Had to grab it.