PDA

View Full Version : Senate Thread

Alexi Hesith
Jul 10th, 2004, 11:31:21 AM
As a result of discussions held between leaders of the Imperial Sovereignty and the NR military leaders involved with this thread

The Battle of Bestine (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34445)

I am arranging a Senate debate. The broad parameters of which are as follows. The deabte will be an emergency session called to deal with the military crisis on Bestine. There will be two factions involved. One will be calling for a full military response to remove the Sovereignty from Bestine, the other (of which I shall be a member) will be caling for moderation. It is possible that a third group may emerge depending upon the people involved.

The outlined course of the thread shall be as follows:

1. Lion El'Jonson, as the senior NR officer involved with Bestine, shall submit a proposal to the Defence Committee that will call for the release of military forces for an expanded operation over Bestine. The committee discussions will be kept brief so that we can...

2. Bring the matter before the full Senate. The Defence Committee will move for the deployment of forces to Bestine. The motion shall be debated.

3. The end result will be that some military force is deployed to Bestine. How large a force and with what orders shall be determined by the debate.

All Senators are welcome to join the debate. We are also looking for someone to put the case for full deployment and people to be on the Defence Committee. The thread shall begin on the 1st August. All those who are interested should post here before then. Any questions may also be posted here.

James Prent
Jul 10th, 2004, 02:54:40 PM
Thareena is in.

I'm very :o about the other Senate threads.

Senator Kensington
Jul 16th, 2004, 12:54:19 PM
We are also looking for someone to put the case for full deployment and people to be on the Defence Committee.

I'm your man, Alexi.

Nagal Aursoni
Jul 16th, 2004, 08:35:43 PM
Well since this involves the navy I supose Kuatii ship builders are involved. I'm in.

Alexi Hesith
Jul 17th, 2004, 02:37:50 PM
Excellent. Any other takers?

Alexi Hesith
Aug 1st, 2004, 03:36:56 PM
Is that a no then? Oh well. The thread will begin shortly and will be open to any other Senators after a certain point. PM me.

I shall contact the three of you with plans.

Alexi Hesith
Aug 6th, 2004, 11:13:40 AM
It has begun here:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/newthread.php?s=&action=newthread&forumid=8

PLease be patient whilst I get the military types to post.

Lion El' Jonson
Aug 7th, 2004, 12:54:59 AM
Hello there. I'll be posting in a second.

Alexi Hesith
Aug 8th, 2004, 03:09:17 PM
Lion got your message, but your in box is full, but no problem the questions you asked needed to be answered here anyway:

Lion, something along the lines of "So we are agreed. Admiral X will do y whilst General B does C" and so on. A full version of your plan essentially because during the meeting with the defence committee you would present a reduced and sanitised version but we want to see the whole plan.

Once you've done that I will act as narrator and present Senator Kensington. Tercer, you set up the Committee idea since you know all about that stuff and then we begin the main body of this thread. Aursori this is your bit as well.

Once the committee meeting ends I will link in you, Thareena, and my own character. Then we can begin the full Senate debate. Lion at this stage you are a spectato since you aren't a Senator you can't take the floor without and invite- but you'll be sat in a gallery off the Chamber watching and, if you like, providing analysis.

Format is fairly straight forward- past tense is preferable since that is what most of us use anyway.

Posting order will be whatever seems best for the situation. In the committee stage it would probably be Kensington asks a question, Lion answers, then someone else asks a question and Lion answers that. Senate debate would be the Speaker (no COS ha ha!)- anyone wish to NPC that?- and followed by a Senator. Then I suppose the Speaker again or possibly another Senator objecting.

Anything else? Questions, suggestions, comments?

Senator Kensington
Aug 9th, 2004, 11:53:33 PM
Right-o. Waiting for Lion.

Lion El' Jonson
Aug 14th, 2004, 05:45:55 PM
*Whams head on table*

My apologies for taking so long. I flew back to China, and I've been jetlagged, and getting ready for school, and...ugh...

I'm sorry. The end of summer is so depressing. I'll post.

Telan Desaria
Aug 14th, 2004, 11:48:32 PM
I thought you just gotu OUT of China.

I am confused. either way - - - you're neglecting your war!!!!!!!

Alexi Hesith
Aug 15th, 2004, 01:28:36 PM
Lion- don't post unless you feel up to it. I tried posting whilst half asleep once and that proved a little bit, ever so slightly, disasterous.

Lion El' Jonson
Aug 16th, 2004, 12:02:49 AM
First day of school was crazy...I ended up with two giant holes in my schedule, and had to plug them with AP Chemistry and AP Economics.

I'm going to pull everything regarding Bestine together tonight and write a post for the strategy outline.

*Is no longer jetlagged* :D

Alexi Hesith
Aug 16th, 2004, 02:55:52 PM
Hurray!

Senator Kensington
Aug 16th, 2004, 11:44:55 PM
You guys have AP Economics? Whooo. Fancyshmancy.

Alexi Hesith
Aug 26th, 2004, 02:50:00 PM
Lion, Lion where are you?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 26th, 2004, 04:21:22 PM
Thareena went ahead and posted. :)

Lion El' Jonson
Aug 29th, 2004, 07:22:39 AM
I feel like an idiot now. :lol

I've promised to post three times now, and I've broken that promise enough. I'll post as soon as I can.

Now that everything has settled down, and I don't have a cold anymore (hurrah!), I'll be back on Fans.

Once again, my sincere apologies. :)

~Lion~

Alexi Hesith
Aug 30th, 2004, 03:01:25 PM
Not a problem really. I was more concerned by your inexplicable absence than by the delay.

Alexi Hesith
Aug 30th, 2004, 03:22:51 PM
Nioce post Lion! Tercer I'll compose your intro tonight and post it tommorrow.

Senator Carter
Aug 30th, 2004, 06:13:47 PM
Hi there. I was told to post here, so I have.

Also, I was told there would be cake. *peers around* Directions?

Nagal Aursoni
Aug 30th, 2004, 06:30:28 PM
Cake and warships for all.

Senator Carter
Aug 30th, 2004, 09:32:59 PM
*looks hopeful* And that stuff that white wine that is really Champagne, but they can't call it that because it wasn't made in the Champagne region?

Alexi Hesith
Aug 31st, 2004, 02:49:42 PM
Tercer, you can post when you are ready.

Senator Kensington
Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:00:06 PM
Let it begin!

Any Senators who wish to be present are allowed, I left the attendance open so we could have everybody in there. Just remember to be there when we debate in the actual Senate. Will that be a different thread, Alexi?

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:54:35 AM
btw I have no idea where Thareena is supposed to be, or what she's doing.

Alexi Hesith
Sep 3rd, 2004, 12:17:27 PM
Let's clarify a few points at this stage.

1. Only those Senators on the Committee (PC's= Kensington and Aursoni the rest being their NPC's) and those who have posted so far (myself and Thareena) and Lion are in the building. The rest (Carter and anyone else who joins us) are being recalled from their homeworlds.

2. Thareena you could be in the gallery over looking the committee room with me.

3. Carter and the rest, post your present positions and receiving the calls to come back if you feel like it. One post will be enough. Otherwise wait until the committee part is finished.

4. At this stage the real business is the committee's let us keep the focus there. Avoid posts that detract from it, preferably make them closed posts that require no response or follow up.

5. Any questions post them here.

6. I will be out of touch for a week starting tomorrow, apologies for any inconvenience.

Senator Lorain
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:48:06 PM
Hey, I'm a new senator and hope to start soon. Should I do what you told to carter? Post in the prelude thread about recieving a msg and coming back to the coruscant?

Senator Kensington
Sep 4th, 2004, 10:07:21 PM
Yeah, go ahead and post something about how you're en route to Coruscant to vote on the crisis. It'll just be a "here I am" kind of thing, so that's all you'll need to do for this thread. In the next thread, where the entire Senate votes on it, then you can join the debate. This thread is basically to just explain the plan and move on.

Alexi Hesith
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:59:14 PM
I think we are waiting on Ausorni. Give him a few days to post.

Senator Kensington
Sep 13th, 2004, 06:18:07 PM
Sure. If not, we can just end the thread there and move on to the actual debating. It'd be a nice, quick, transfer. We'll wait afew more days, though. No rush :D

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 14th, 2004, 04:32:38 AM
Incidentally, I've recieved a message from Tiberius Anar. He's suggested holding off on beginning the second Bestine thread until the Senate thread is finished up. Just thought I'd add that. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 14th, 2004, 12:17:25 PM
I thought the thread had already started? The "second battle of Bestine" in RPing.

Alexi Hesith
Sep 14th, 2004, 03:26:10 PM
It is. I just didn't want things to get confused- and the thread was working on the belief that Lion's plan would be followed. If we alter it during the debate then things will go pear shaped in the battle. Better that the threads follow one another.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 14th, 2004, 04:58:39 PM
Yes I think it's better too. But since it's already started...

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 14th, 2004, 05:12:46 PM
Don't worry, it will be able to sit still for a while. We're having a...dispute...over the number of ships that should be entering the system, and there's also the minor hang-up of needing to rethink our exit strategy...it just occured to us that the troops are going to fall under orbital bombardment the second we leave. :lol

We're either going to have to pick them up before we go, or stick shield generators somewhere. :lol

Believe me, this pause'll probably be beneficial. :D

Alexi Hesith
Sep 15th, 2004, 03:58:14 AM
Excellent! Carter if you feel so inclined post a response to Lorain but end the conversation there. With the exception of Carter, think no body else should post until Aursoni posts, please. This is his moment let's not ruin it for him.

Alexi Hesith
Sep 21st, 2004, 02:52:18 PM
Regrettably Aursoni may be unable to post for some time. I suggest, Tercer, that you NPC someone to ask a question. Then you can do the same Thareena. That way the thread can keep roling.

Travis North
Sep 21st, 2004, 03:24:13 PM
I'm here and gonna post. :p I've been busy but as this is a matter that needs doing I'll do it. :P

-Jakenn Aursoni

Senator Kensington
Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:20:18 PM
Excellent :D

Travis North
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:45:13 PM
Actually scratch that I'm to busy with work and other characters go on without me. Say something like "I can't be there due to illness and I have full trust in the New Republic Forces and Kuat will back them up."

Senator Carter
Sep 24th, 2004, 09:40:42 AM
Do we have aids and representatives working with us? I was just thinking that, if the Kuati senator were taken ill, someone would be there to take his place...much like Representative Binks speaking for the Naboo in Episode II. Maybe we could, in the course of our posts, aknowledge the presence of such a representative, who would vote on behalf of Kuat?

Alexi Hesith
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:00:49 AM
Good idea, when we get to the Senate part of the story we can use that.

Unfortunately we can't use it for the committee because we've already established that only senators can be present.

We'll go with plan B, I think. Thareena, Carter, Lorain and myself (in that order) will post as NPC senators from worlds without active or designated senators. Then Tercer you can sum up. That sound alright?

Christopher Munro
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:22:22 AM
Sounds ok to me.

[/Carter]

Lion El' Jonson
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:54:12 AM
Anything I'm needed for?

I had a busy weekend: Went out to Bar Street, went to a pop concert (:lol) on the Great Wall, and went down to the Formula 1 races in Shanghai...all within 48 hours. Man, there are times when China doesn't suck all that much. :D

Alexi Hesith
Sep 28th, 2004, 09:19:31 AM
You'll be needed to actually answer the questions that we (using the NPC's) put to you.

Senator Kensington
Oct 1st, 2004, 08:35:37 PM
Fine by me.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:02:28 AM
I'll post to it today unless I totally forget. :uhoh

Alexi Hesith
Oct 7th, 2004, 02:42:26 AM
An excellent question. Lion you better have a good answer!

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 7th, 2004, 04:34:47 AM
Errr...ummm...

I'll be back in Beijing tomorrow. I'll answer/lie at that time. :lol

Tiberius Anar
Oct 7th, 2004, 07:08:29 AM
That's not an answer cut his budget! :D

Serena Laran
Oct 7th, 2004, 10:59:19 AM
sorry, I couldn't think of anything else to ask!! :lol

Senator Lorain
Oct 7th, 2004, 11:25:40 AM
Everything is ok by me. Lets get this going so we can start the fun battle parts :D.

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 8th, 2004, 09:20:52 PM
Alrighty, posting in a second.

*Looks at his budget and cries*

:lol

Alexi Hesith
Oct 9th, 2004, 05:16:41 AM
Splendid. Thareena care to ask a suplementary question? Or would you rather slink into the shadows?

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:43:46 AM
Hmmm, it seems as if I neglected to include a short history of the war as the Rylothian Senator requested. Would you like me to edit that in, or should we just assume that this would be common knowledge for the committee?

Senator Kensington
Oct 9th, 2004, 02:57:07 PM
Let's just assume to save some time. If it's nagging you, go ahead. It's not a big deal.

Anyone else want to add a question or should I wrap this up?

Tiberius Anar
Oct 9th, 2004, 03:06:25 PM
Unless Thareena wants to ask a supplementary, the next person is...hmm...Carter.

Telan Desaria
Oct 9th, 2004, 03:13:32 PM
I can assume from the post that the New Republic has no idea that the Empire is using the massive Corellian shipyards? This would explain why you underestimate the forces we can field - - - .

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 9th, 2004, 05:12:48 PM
I don't need to ask a supplemental question. Thanks, good answer, Lion. :D

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 9th, 2004, 07:35:17 PM
OOC-wise, I know. IC wise, we have no idea.

Intelligence Operations into Corellia have been severely curtailed for fear of angering the Sith, and the fact that we have enough trouble inserting them in the first place. Hence, we have no idea what's going on in Corellia.

And you're welcome, Lil. :D

Telan Desaria
Oct 9th, 2004, 08:07:21 PM
Ahhh. Just checking.

Tiberius Anar
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:14:52 AM
Very well. Carter you are next- use an NPC to ask a question.

Tiberius Anar
Oct 12th, 2004, 09:26:02 AM
I just noticed that Carter's avatar has vanished. Also that he has no profile. Why is this?

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 12th, 2004, 09:51:11 AM
The Rper formerly known as "carter" publicly left the forums, and requested that all his accounts be deleted. So, we did. He won't be posting.

Sorry that I didn't notice we were waiting on him, sooner. :o

Alexi Hesith
Oct 12th, 2004, 10:06:57 AM
Damneth!

We'll just move along then. Lorain you're up!

Alexi Hesith
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:13:49 AM
Right. Since we have been keeping the military (both Imperial and NR) waiting for so long. I think we can call a halt to this meeting. Tercer, I think you probably know the drill from here on how a committee votes, so you may as well post that whole segment.

I will post the reaction to this (unless anyone else wants to in which case they can) and link us to the Senate debate. We'll make it short and snappy. Then the fleets can get to beating one another up.

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 19th, 2004, 07:37:51 AM
And beat we will! ^_^;

*Swivels a turbolaser*

Senator Kensington
Oct 24th, 2004, 07:47:29 PM
Sorry about the wait, stuff going on. Anyway, that's all wrapped up. We're ready to move!

Tiberius Anar
Oct 25th, 2004, 02:50:11 AM
Huzzah! A senate thread that has run beginning to end. :lol I'm so happy! :D

Right the continuation of this storyline will be in a separate thread, which I will start tonight. The plan is simple.

We will all do a bit walking to our booths. The senate comes to order. We debate. Then we vote. Hopefuly this will not take too long, and then we can unleash Lion, Reshmar, Jarek, Telan and their minions to do battle.

Telan Desaria
Oct 25th, 2004, 06:48:02 AM
Can we fight now???? Do we have to wait again???????

This is why Imperials HATE Democracy. In order for us to launch an attack, its goes like this. The following is how it would have happened if Besitne was ours in the first place.

Adjutant: " Admiral, we have been attacked."

Admiral: Where? With what?

Adjutant: New Republic forces have attacked our outlying colony on Bestine. Scale One assault. Ground forces are continuing to operate but Fleet assets have withdrawn.

Admiral: Very well. What do we have in the region?

Adjutant, after glancing at datapad: Two task forces, thirty-seven ships all told.

Admiral: thank you.
(turning to HoloProjector)
Admiral: Commodore Pinzance, you are to attack immediately Bestine IV with all dispatch. Drive the enemy away and prepare for counter assault. Clear?

Commodore: Yes, sir.

Admiral: Good....

See how easy it is?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oct 25th, 2004, 06:57:26 AM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
Adjutant: " Admiral, we have been attacked."

Admiral: Where? With what?

Do they have a flag?

Oh I crack myself up sometimes :lol

Alexi Hesith
Oct 25th, 2004, 12:56:19 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.

Yes, Telan, you have to wait. This is how we do things things in the NR. So stay!

Alexi Hesith
Oct 25th, 2004, 01:19:26 PM
So we begin:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37132

Nothing really needs to be said about what to do, to be honest. I've set the scene as best I can and now you can do your stuff.

It might be an idea to vary how we join the thread. Some of us could be in offices, others at briefings I don't know. But lets not all go through the media feeding frenzy.

I don't know who else will want to post aside from us senators, but Lion you are welcome to do so. Anyone else should ask first.

Lion El' Jonson
Oct 27th, 2004, 07:38:10 AM
Woohoo! Congrats on a complete thread!

^_^;

Telan Desaria
Oct 27th, 2004, 10:52:49 AM
Indeed.

Can we have at each other now????

Tiberius Anar
Oct 28th, 2004, 02:04:01 AM
No. The second thread needs to be finished. You of all people should believe in observing the correct form.

Telan Desaria
Oct 28th, 2004, 05:30:39 AM
I do- - - but there are limits.

But wewait.

Alexi Hesith
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:02:35 PM
Right we are off and rolling again.

We will pad this out with NPC's who can rise to speak. Bear in mind that the chances of a Senator being called upon repeatedly are small. One or two times is acceptable. Speaking in continuous debate is also acceptable- the exchange of points between two Senators will be permitted by the Chair but subject to time limits.

Telan Desaria
Jan 20th, 2005, 04:40:16 PM
I am going to have Moff Gerion pop by.

Alexi Hesith
Jan 21st, 2005, 03:46:45 AM
You can't. It is a closed session. Sorry.

Alexi Hesith
Jan 25th, 2005, 10:44:33 AM
Let's go with this posting order for the debaters:

Thareena
Myself
Lorain

Just throw in little exchanges in the debate between NPC's, picking up where the other left off. It will serve to pad it out. When you wish, do post as your own characters.

Lion: as you aren't speaking in the debate you may post observations when ever you wish. Your reactions, those of the enators, your staff and so on. Anything else you can think of.

Senator Thareena
Jan 25th, 2005, 01:53:57 PM
Sounds good to me - next time I'll try to make my post a little longer.. I was suffering from writers block. :p

Tiberius Anar
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:08:38 PM
No problem. Youn got the ball rolling which was what we needed.

Alexi Hesith
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:04:43 PM
Lorain's busy so Thareena you and I will alternate instead.

Are there any other Senators out there? If so let us know that you are around.

Senator Thareena
Jan 26th, 2005, 06:16:11 PM
ack ok ^_^;

Lion El' Jonson
Jan 30th, 2005, 02:48:48 AM
I'll do whatever you need me to.

Tiberius Anar
Jan 30th, 2005, 05:38:04 AM
Actually an observation now would be handy. An NPC just got very annoyed.

Alexi Hesith
Feb 11th, 2005, 03:17:04 AM
I'm asking Lion to post now. Tahreena, Lorain please hold on.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:48:52 AM
it's "tHAreena" not "tAHreena" :p

Morgan Evanar
Feb 11th, 2005, 12:46:31 PM
Someone is lysdexic. When should I post again?

Senator Thareena
Feb 11th, 2005, 01:27:34 PM
Well, since Hesith is referring to the "Bestine: talk of war" RP in storytelling ... you can reply to the one in RPing "the Corellian Problem" whenever you feel like it. Posting order's are held only loosely in Senate threads - simply because it's hard to get some of the senators to post frequently. "Corellian" is mainly you, me, Hesith and Lion, and so you can post next, or Lion can post next.

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37641

Alexi Hesith
Feb 17th, 2005, 11:35:11 AM
Lion has posted in both- he's wonderfuly efficient like that.

Bestinewise, I think we want to have Senators getting all hot and bothered so someone will move for the vote. Let's say you and I alternate on that? If we do it's your turn.

Correliawise, I think a Senator and then Morgan can be called in. I'll handle that.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:20:22 PM
Excellent. *gathers her robes up and runs off to post*

Alexi Hesith
Feb 20th, 2005, 08:01:49 AM
Ok time to vote. I've put it as a role-call, that way we get to see how everyone votes, so we need to know what order they'd do it in. By or of seniority? Alphabetical by name? Alphabetical by planet? What do we think?

Morgan Evanar
Feb 20th, 2005, 12:35:58 PM
I'm going to edit because I'm a screwup.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 20th, 2005, 01:33:40 PM
Originally posted by Senator Hesith
Ok time to vote. I've put it as a role-call, that way we get to see how everyone votes, so we need to know what order they'd do it in. By or of seniority? Alphabetical by name? Alphabetical by planet? What do we think?

Alphabetically by planet. I'll do half, you do half. :)

And Morg - you're not a screwup. If you were a screwup you wouldn't have edited. :p

Alexi Hesith
Feb 21st, 2005, 02:58:22 PM
Here here. The screw ups are the ones who don't edit.

As for the vote in Talk of War: done. It doesn't make the most exciting reading mind you but it is done. My maths is not all that brilliant but by my count it passes by a margin of seven (2/3rds being the required majority).

Before we finish the thread and let slip the dogs of war, a little post game commentary as it were. The thoughts of our intrepid politicians as they walk out of the Chamber. Then let's end with Lion on his commlink telling the Fleet Command that it's all go, shall we?

Lion El' Jonson
Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:34:13 AM
Sounds very good, Hesith.

I actually liked the vote. ^_^;

It contained all of the casual thoughts that would go through ones head as they ran through the roll call.

Alexi Hesith
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:25:36 PM
Nice to hear that.

And. We. Are. Done.

Congratulations to all. I'll tell the army types.

James Prent
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:46:57 PM
I love a good bit of foreshadowing. Couldn't help throwing it in. >D

Rognan Dar
Feb 24th, 2005, 12:31:11 AM
Question: Since I'm not really part of this, yet trying to keep with the times, what was the point of all the voting again? Was it to go attack the Imperials or something?

James Prent
Feb 24th, 2005, 01:06:49 AM
yeah. To counter-attack the Sovereignty for the planet/system Bestine.

Rognan Dar
Feb 24th, 2005, 01:12:36 AM
Right. Thats what I got from the thread. Thanks!