PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After: El Camino Real

Sanis Prent
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:42:23 PM
I'd left at sunrise, but I made sure I'd be followed. The note read "Hangar 033", and it lay where my head had been the night before, right beside Navaria.

As I worked on the Layla, my mind raced ahead of me, perpetuating the beginnings of a crime. I was about to perform a kidnapping, and in doing so, I'd be a man on the run. It wasn't a situation new to me, except this crime was for all the right reasons.

MARCUS modules moved through the interior of the ship rapidly, vacuming away various debris from the floor and other areas of my ship. I stowed away the larger items, and put away work-weary tools in the compartments where they belonged.

I had no way to be sure if my victim would come along willingly. I was willing to use coercion, though. It was an offer she couldn't refuse. It was an offer we'd both refused for too long.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:25:07 PM
She was just starting to wake up and rolled over to where Sanis was laying. Navaria's hand found nothing but sheet. That caused her to lift her head in concern because she didn't sense him either. What the Jedi did find was a note and it made her smile.

Navaria rose from her bed, putting on a robe before making a call to her secretary. "Alicia? Put a hold on all incoming calls to me. List them in order of priority and I will sort through them when I get back."

A half hour later, she made her way down to the hangar level and approached number 033. She didn't see MARCUS, nor Sanis, but the ramp was down in obvious invitation.

She headed up the ramp and placed a hand on the side of the entryway to peer inside. Again Navaria didn't see anyone but she knew Sanis was here.

"Hello?" she called out, hoping to rouse one of them.

Sanis Prent
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:44:08 PM
"You're early."

I spoke loudly, so she could hear me belowdeck through the ladder porthole.

"I figured you'd sleep another hour....FRELL!"

KLANG!

A magnetometer fell from above, banging on a few ladder rungs, and came to rest a few feet from the ship's entryway.

So much for the setup...

I leaned through the opening in the deck, hanging upside down from my waist. Despite my best intention, I was still in work clothes, and my messed hair hung inverted with gravity's pull.

"Hey sweets."

I smiled, despite being sheepishly caught off guard.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:39:25 PM
Navaria had walked into the makings of a Sanis surprise. She wasn't sure what was going on, just that he was trying hard to not give away his intentions.

He was so adorable hanging upside down in front of her. She leaned in and kissed him softly, "And a hello to you too." When Navaria pulled away, there was a smirk on her face, "If you want I could always leave and come back so you can, um," her eyes drifted to the magnetometer and picked it up curiously, "finish whatever it is you're doing."

Sanis Prent
Jun 4th, 2004, 01:35:41 PM
"Nah, you caught me red handed, can't really undo that."

I righted myself, and slid down the ladder.

"I hope you're schedule's cleared."

Smiling knowingly, I wiped my hands on a work rag.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 5th, 2004, 11:36:30 PM
"I'm still not exactly sure what I caught you red handed in doing." She offered the tool back with a flick of her wrist, "But, yes. I did clear out my schedule for the day. I figured you had plans for something like you normally do."

Sanis Prent
Jun 11th, 2004, 06:14:48 PM
"Been up since the crack of dawn running pre-flight maintenance and general spring cleaning."

I tucked the magnetometer in my back pocket, and the work rag in my front.

"I've been talking to a friend of mine who had a reservation at a pretty exclusive hotel on Maretto, and couldn't make it. Seeing as he owes me about 1200 in sabacc winnings, I told him I'd wipe the slate clean if he'd cover the room for a week."

I'd wiped off my hands, but I was still a bit away from being spic & span. I stopped myself short of giving Nav a full-out hug, and just squeezed each of her shoulders.

"Its isolated in every direction by half a sector, and I've seen enough post cards to tell you its beautiful. Red rock mountains, blue lakes, tree groves. One of those "back to nature" things, I guess."

Canting my head to the side, I smiled.

"It'll keep you out of work and me out of trouble, so we'll really have no excuse if we go, except to have a hell of a time."

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 14th, 2004, 01:12:33 PM
"A week??" How could she leave her duties as a council member for a week. She was able to clear today out since there was nothing pending, but there were meetings scheduled for later in the week.

"I don't know," she shook her head, torn. "I want to go but I am not sure it's feasible. I expected only doing something today." Her smile was sad, seeing the disappointment in Sanis' eyes, "I should have known better."

He heard it in her voice. That slight shift, knowing that she was up to something. "Give me a moment."

She slipped out of his grasp and made a call into her secretary. "Navaria again, Alicia. If memory serves, I am only meeting with the council this week correct?"

Alicia's voice chimed in moments later, "Yes, Master Tarkin. That is correct."

Her lips pursed in thought. Essentially, Navaria would be playing hookey from work but not completely. She had informed the council that she was willing to come back to work right away, though she was encouraged to take some time off. Her only concern was her Padawan, but someone from the Order could watch over her.

It was only a week. For once take a chance in your life. You owe Sanis this...

"Was that all Master Tarkin?"

"No. Inform the council that I am going to take that time off they offered me. It will only be for a week. Please have someone take care of Padawan Alton while I am gone as well."

"I will take care of the arrangements. Try and have yourself some fun."

She clicked the comm unit off and smiled, "I plan on it."

Sanis Prent
Jun 17th, 2004, 10:26:32 PM
It was just enough time for me to zip off to the sonic shower above deck. I scrambled up the ladder, tore my work clothes off, and activated the cleansing chamber. Above the slight humming of the oscillator, I called down below deck.

"Just call in sick! Works every time!"

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:20:19 PM
"Call in sick?" Navaria shook her head and called up, "You don't have a job to call in sick too!"

She followed the trail of clothing and made her way up to the second deck. "Unless that means calling into MARCUS sick!"

Her ears caught the low hum of the sonic shower and a slight smirk curled across her lips. It wasn't laced with evil intent like a certain counterpart. No, it was a smirk hardly seen except when Navaria had a devilish thought spring to mind.

Piece by piece, her robes came tumbling off. "Besides, that isn't very Jedi like to do. Lying like that." And she stepped into the shower, "Course some say this isn't very Jedi like either."

Sanis Prent
Jul 28th, 2004, 10:09:10 PM
This was a shock. I stared through the frosted glass at her lithe figure, waiting at the threshold.

"Well, to hell with those people."

I looked her up and down as she opened the door to the sonic shower. As she stepped in, all I could think about was the future.

<center>Twenty minutes later</center>

"Ahh...I'm not used to smelling like anything but engine grease. I dunno about you, but this is a good change of pace."

Sliding a clean shirt over my torso, I handed Navaria her outer robe, with a kiss for gratuity. I ran a hand through her brunette tresses, down to the small of her back.

"We should get clearance from control any minute now. I had Marcus stow your luggage beforehand."

I winked. She should've known I wouldn't take no for an answer.

I shimmied up the ladder to the pilothouse, and began the pre-flight warmup.

"Ever take a freighter out of dock?" I called down the portal.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2004, 01:44:03 PM
She narrowed her eyes in thought, "Well. Not personally. Sorta." Navaria sighed and stood up, following Sanis up the ladder. "It's complicated." he would get the meaning. He always did when she was reluctant to speak about Dalethria.

"I think I have the basics down," she poked her head inside the cockpit and sighed, "but I don't know. I'd rather avoid damage to The Layla." There was a touch of humor to her voice when Navaria sat down in the co-pilot's chair. "I was always more of a computer type of girl back in the day..."

Sanis Prent
Aug 5th, 2004, 01:50:55 PM
"Don't worry."

I pointed to the co-pilot's chair as I took the lead seat.

"I'm pretty sure either myself or MARCUS can take the helm if you belly her up. Besides, after the pre-flight checks, she practically flies herself."

I smiled back at her, careful not to pry too deeply. Something about complicated told me that I was on a leash.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 10th, 2004, 11:51:15 AM
Navaria still wasn't sure about this and made a face, "Well, you have that tone about you. I know I'm not going to convince you otherwise." Then she laughed lightly, "Let me know when you and MARCUS are ready then, eh?"

It only took a few minutes for the two of them to settle in and the three of them started the pre-flight checks. Navaria still remembered the basics though it had been years since she was a part of them. As far as she could tell, Navaria hadn't missed anything and if she did, MARCUS and Sanis weren't saying a word.

The control tower gave The Layla clearance to leave. She knew how to fly a ship, just the Knight never flew anything this massive before. It was all the same. Just relax and do it.

She cued the repulsors and felt the usual vibrations of the ship as it began to ascend. Several feet off the ground, the landing gear disappeared inside the belly of the ship and as far as she could tell, they were ready to go.

"I didn't break anything right?" She asked hopefully. Landing pads were nice at the Temple. There was plenty of room to manuever in and out, but still she was worried that she had done something wrong.

Sanis Prent
Aug 10th, 2004, 12:06:08 PM
"You're good, you're good."

I leaned over in my seat, looking over the controls, and her hands as she worked them.

"Hang on."

Leaning more, I flipped a switch above her head, and activated the holographic HUD, which illuminated a series of concentric triangles.

"Those are your exit and ascent waypoints. All you gotta do now is ease the yoke forward off idle. Bring it to quarter thrusters, at least for now. You can bring it to half or full after clearing tower space. They'll call your clearance in on channel two."

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 28th, 2004, 04:08:44 PM
"This seems much more complicated then what I remember." She stated matter of factly and focused on the HUD, focusing her thoughts. Being nervous about this wasn't going to do her any good. Navaria was too well trained to be nervous.

But this was his ship...

Navaria made certain to keep the Layla within open areas, following the directions overhead to make sure that she was in compliance with air control. Once they were passed the tower, she took the thrusters to half. She was doing good, no reason to push it.

As predicted, the clearance came over the comm channel. "Roger that control. We'll be seeing you whenever we get back." She stole a glance at Sanis and had to chuckle. They would be back only when he decided they would be. No point in arguing any longer.

Sanis Prent
Aug 30th, 2004, 06:28:16 PM
"Go ahead and thread the last two waypoints, and I'll program the navicomputer."

I leaned over, kissing her just shy of being a distraction to her piloting. She was doing great. Layla cruised away from Coruscant on an out-bound lane, with the regular traffic cris-crossing all around it.

In the meantime, I triangulated our current position, as well as the star-chart coordinates for the Maretto system. MARCUS worked out the "real-time" anomalies, such as comets, stellar activity, and the other crap that would change the parabolic approach.

It usually took about two minutes. I entered the data, and let MARCUS continue his calculations. While I waited, I stole a few glances at Navaria at the stick. She'd finally calmed herself down, and her slender hands maneuvered the controls around like she'd done it dozens of times before.

Thirty seconds until jump.

"That was perfect, sweets. Ok, see the green switch to your right? The big one. Hit that, and it'll turn the navigation over to MARCUS for the jump. After that, its an hour till paradise."

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 31st, 2004, 05:19:33 PM
"An hour?" She asked pleasantly surprised. "I thought it would have taken longer then that?"

Her eyes remained watchful at the controls until she hit the button that sent the Layla into hyperspace. Navaria loved watching the stars flatten and streak passed the cockpit window until their transition molded them into the familiar patterns of light that signified that the jump into lightspeed was a success.

As requested, she keyed the controls over to MARCUS' command and turned the co-pilot's chair to face Sanis, "I had no idea that our little vacation spot was relatively close-by?"

Sanis Prent
Sep 1st, 2004, 06:51:23 PM
"Well, Maretto's just about the only habitable system in the sector. Consider it getting away from it all without having to get away from it all."

I brought up the star chart for her to see. The Maretto system appeared in green, as did the Seswanna system. Layla, in yellow was shown moving directly away from the main core hyperlanes, toward the expanse beyond the Deep Core.

"Almost suprised I'd never heard of it. A vacation spot off the beaten path, and hasn't been spoiled yet."

The star systems between the core and the Maretto system were sparse. Few and far between.

I rocked back in my seat, minimizing the star chart hologram.

"Well, it's still an hour..."

Glancing cattily at Navaria, I could only hope she could think of a way to pass the time.

Navaria Tarkin
Sep 12th, 2004, 03:10:12 PM
Her one brow arched, knowing what Sanis was getting at without being a mind reader. Navaria slipped out of the co-pilot's chair and leaned down over Sanis, placing a hand on either side of his chair "An hour isn't really all that long ...."

Navaria began to move forward as if she was going to kiss Sanis, but stopped herself several centimeters short, "Gives me some time to meditate."

She quickly brushed her lips against his and leaned back up, starting to make her way out of the cockpit. When the door parted, Navaria turned around and winked, "Unless you had other ideas to pass the time." She flashed a smile and disappeared out of view.

Sanis Prent
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:18:21 PM
"Yeah...maybe you can teach me about that meditating thing..."

I grinned cattily, following Nav's lead without a second thought. The door slid closed behind us as we moved to my quarters, leaving MARCUS alone to control the ship's trajectory.

<center>Fifty-five minutes later...</center>

We returned to the pilothouse, leaving all of our satisfied inhibitions below decks. I could tell that Navaria was a little timid at first, but as time went on, it ebbed away. There was a kind of honesty there that had always been there, but was so much more in an entirely different way.

"So...that whole...mind trick thing?" I asked, settling back down into my seat.

"You never...?" I gestured to my noggin, which was enough to finish the rest of my question. It was one thing for a girl to rummage through a sock drawer. Rummaging through my head? You can't help but have a little dirty laundry in there.

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 27th, 2004, 05:48:02 PM
"A Jedi does not intrude on another's thoughts for any reason, and especially for personal gain." Her voice held humor in her remark as she leaned down and kissed Sanis on the forehead, "But to answer your question, of course not. I trust you completely."

Navaria took her place at his right, sitting down in the co-pilot's chair. "What brought up a question like that?" And after all this time... She wondered to herself. Did she do something from earlier before that had caused him to be concered that she was spying on him? The Jedi's musings were evident upon her face, quite difficult to hide.

Sanis Prent
Nov 27th, 2004, 11:18:16 PM
"It's not in any seriousness, don't worry."

I shrugged, working the controls as I talked.

"Just thinking about the little things. Like, sheets. What if it gets cold, and there's a tug o' war over the blanket. You...couldn't make me feel warmer than I'd really be, so you could get the sheets. I'd be freezing my butt off, but maybe it felt like I was sleeping by a fire."

I laughed.

"Maybe not. I dunno.

I keep opening doors for you sometimes. Usually I don't think about it. Sometimes I remember that I didn't open doors for anyone else. The last slice of namana pie? Forget it, mine. With you, eh...I'd let it slide. Stupid things you think about, you know. Maybe it's all a mind trick, but we're both getting played."

A console started to blink rapidly, and I switched off an alert button.

"We're coming out of hyperspace. Got your seatbelt on?"

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:07:36 PM
Navaria tightened the belt and nodded, "Yes. It is." As much of a joke as Sanis was trying to make it out to be, she still wondered if there was some truth to it. Honestly, a lot of beings feared much the same with Force users, including Jedi. The galaxy was filled with far more individuals then ever before, to be concerned was just a normal reaction.

"And I wouldn't worry too much, love. If this is a mind trick, I never want it to end." The smiling she directed at him was lit up the ship entered normal space, "Considering ever other one tried to destroy me..."